Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official Well Played Celtic thread

Comments

• Options

DA9 said:

Footy fans wrapping themselves up in religious bigotry
    Too weird for me

Must tell my Irish catholic fiancé about my bigotry, and disown my new born son as he will be baptised catholic.

.snap mate married an irish catholic with 2 children baptised catholic

Def wouldnt call me a biggot

Doesn't quite fit some people's agendas on here though does it, Rangers fan, hate Celtic, must be a bigot, how the facts must hurt some on here, nowhere to go with the deflect & deny tactics.

• Options
    Are you 100% that they had that banner at last nights game ? I haven't seen it reported anywhere.
  • Options
    What is sad is that a remarkable performance/result last night is overshadowed by a banner which appeared in a Celtic ground two years ago.

I saw my Scottish team Raith Rovers at Parkhead in a Scottish Communities Cup game a couple of months ago and I have to say I was impressed by Celtic and more generally the improvements that had been made to the East End of Glasgow since I last visited the area 8 years ago when I saw Arsenal play in friendlies at both Celtic Park and Ibrox when I had been on an Open University study week in Stirling.

A good example is that Chris Hoy's Velodrome which has been built for the Commonwealth Games is opposite the Hoop's Stadium.In terms of sectarianism an announcement was made before the game warning that any perpetrators would be banned from matches.

Lets give credit where its due.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Not all Celtic fans disrespect the poppy the numbers of Catholics who served in the world wars from Glasgow and Northern Ireland speak for themselves and they are welcomed round Europe unlike some clubs
  • Options
    se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

MattD said:

Barca are a great team, the way they mentally out-do other teams is just as good as there technique. 'Boring football' is a poor excuse to not like them.

Perfect example there, they did not mentally out do Celtic tonight, they did not mentally out do Chelsea last year, and they did not mentally out do Real Madrid last year either... As some folk say, "Read the book" ...

With you on that one, if Barca were so great last season, what would we class Real Madrid and Chelsea?
    Surely just beating a team doesn't make you better than them though ? You aren't honestly suggesting that Chelsea are better than Barca because they beat them over two legs ?

Great teams prove their worth over seasons, Barca have the trophies in the last few years to justify the label of greatest team ever and it looks as though at least the league will be on its way back.
    Sorry but I can't see how they were a great time last season when they couldn't beat Chelsea over 2 legs despite the various injuries, suspensions and such Chelsea had, not to mention the fact that Chelsea were rubbish overall last season.

I see you glossed over the Madrid bit though, who did beat Barca over the course of an entire season playing the exact same teams in the league.

So I put it to you again, if Barca were great last season, what would you call the team that comprehensively beat them in the League?

(Sorry for going off topic, 'mon the hoops etc etc)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Are you 100% that they had that banner at last nights game ? I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

Not seen it yet myself, was mentioned on a spurs friends FB timeline who says he saw it on tv, he is not a Rangers fan so has no axe to grind, have asked him and others if by have screen grabs or photos to prove it

• Options
    Just attention seeking with the banner, if they are that bothered f**k off back to Ireland with the rest of the IRA idiots
  • Options
    Can't stand them but don't think they had a banner last night, seems to be the one from 2 years ago.
  • Options
    I'll just bring the thread back to saying well done.

Heard on the radio this morning that the pass count was 900+ to 170+ in Barcelona's favour, but felt Celtic held their nerve, didn't dive in - which is what undoes most teams against them - and even had to contend with a ref who should have sent off Song and possibly Mascherano as well.

For the English fans, Forster was immense in both games and they have two great keepers in him and Hart. Great headline for Rod's blubbing too...I am wailing...

:)
  • Options
    edited November 2012

MattD said:

Barca are a great team, the way they mentally out-do other teams is just as good as there technique. 'Boring football' is a poor excuse to not like them.

Perfect example there, they did not mentally out do Celtic tonight, they did not mentally out do Chelsea last year, and they did not mentally out do Real Madrid last year either... As some folk say, "Read the book" ...

The best teams dont win every game
    Last year wasnt a good year for them really. Didnt win anything. Now with Guardiola gone there few years of absolute domination will end, it was interesting how they went about it though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    DA9 said:

Too weird for me

Must tell my Irish catholic fiancé about my bigotry, and disown my new born son as he will be baptised catholic.

i wasn't calling you or anyone else on here a bigot , i'm referring to the issue that some of the followers of these two sets of clubs have with each other

if the cap fits wear it

• Options
    nolly said:

Not all Celtic fans disrespect the poppy the numbers of Catholics who served in the world wars from Glasgow and Northern Ireland speak for themselves and they are welcomed round Europe unlike some clubs

Yep, they just have a good craic, no emergency landings or anything.

Well done to Celtic. This will come off as sour grapes, but it isn't intend to be! Afteral Rangers lost to Stirling Albion! I do believe that Barca are overrated as Real smashed that league last season. Barca do seem to try the same thing over and over again, they even play a corner short. If you fill the box and catch them on the break they're very beatable as Chelsea proved in the semi last season.
  • Options
    Proves that long ball is best

: - )
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    SE10 said:

Can't stand them but don't think they had a banner last night, seems to be the one from 2 years ago.

The club also said in the article quoted that they would ban the Banner holders. I'm sure if there was such a banner that it would have been reported somewhere other than a Spurs supporters Facebook page.

As a club the Celts have always had players on both sides of the religious divide and for this reason I never quite classified them with Rangers although I accept that a section of their support is just as sectarian.

Over half of the Lisbon lions were Protestants as was the Manager Jock Stein and I can throw in Kenny Dalglish and Danny McGrain for good measure.

Whether you like a section of their support or not I feel the Club itself is built on sound principles.

By the way I am not a Catholic and would be delighted if Celtic do not win the SPL this year as I believe the Old Firm's duopoly has damaged Scottish football.

• Options
    Here's their display from last night. Looks class IMO. I haven't hear anything about the poppy banner coming out again.
  • Options
    nearly looks as good as our final game last season !
  • Options

Here's their display from last night. Looks class IMO. I haven't hear anything about the poppy banner coming out again.

Cant they count? ; )

• Options
    Can't stand Neil Lennon don't know him but he comes across as a nasty price of work. Would have preferred Barcelona to win if I am honest
  • Options

Can't stand Neil Lennon don't know him but he comes across as a nasty price of work. Would have preferred Barcelona to win if I am honest

I don't know him but I do know that when he was at Leicester City he would sometimes visit student pubs in the City and play snooker or pool with the students and he always insisted on funding the beer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is rod such a rabid weeping Tim? Assumed that a Protestant from London of Edinburgh descent wouldn't have a natural affinity there. He looked like elton John at a funeral. I know Scottish football has been in the dirt for a while, but it was just a group game win from a rearguard action. They beat them in a UEFA knockout tie relatively recently (with our friend Dave Marshall starring in nets). Would see that as the greater achievement.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I don't know him but I do know that when he was at Leicester City he would sometimes visit student pubs in the City and play snooker or pool with the students and he always insisted on funding the beer.

Heard this as well ,Lennon also said he had no problems at any of his English clubs and it only started when he took the Celtic job.

Some of the abuse he faced a couple of years ago was unacceptable in this day and age.

As I said above I accept some Celts are just as bad.

• Options

DA9 said:

Too weird for me

i wasn't calling you or anyone else on here a bigot , i'm referring to the issue that some of the followers of these two sets of clubs have with each other

Again, As above (sorry).
    C'mon the 'Shire !
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The 'proddy clubs' have been financially reckless. Rangers gone and Hearts close to going. Celtic is a well run and stable club. AND they seem to have a decent team at last, even though Barca are on the down slope .. at last.
  • Options

The 'proddy clubs' have been financially reckless. Rangers gone and Hearts close to going. Celtic is a well run and stable club. AND they seem to have a decent team at last, even though Barca are on the down slope .. at last.

Yeah, they've been rubbish this year, fancy only winning 9 out of their first ten in the league and only top of their Champions League Group by two points.
  • Options

Why is rod such a rabid weeping Tim? Assumed that a Protestant from London of Edinburgh descent wouldn't have a natural affinity there. He looked like elton John at a funeral. I know Scottish football has been in the dirt for a while, but it was just a group game win from a rearguard action. They beat them in a UEFA knockout tie relatively recently (with our friend Dave Marshall starring in nets). Would see that as the greater achievement.

A lot of Protestants support Celtic and not all Celtic supporters are IRA loving idiots either.

• Options
    Well I was actually there yesterday and didn't see ay such baner although concertration was on the game and not the Green Brigade. The atmosphere was like nothing I have or will ever witness again, bearing in mind I was at the playoff final and have been to an Old Firm League cup final. Think Neil Lennon whether you like him or not has to be given credit as he has got a great squad together on a very small budget. Would say the starting 11 yesterday cost under 7 Mil yesterday. On the point of Barca, I also don't see them on a downward spiral with them dominating the league and dropping just 3 champions league defeats but they obviously can be got at with a very weak Central defence and fullbacks that play as wingers. Overall a fantastic couple of games of football for me. Well Done Celtic.
  • Options

This!

• Options

A lot of Protestants support Celtic and
    not all Celtic supporters are IRA loving idiots either.

Exactly some of us just support the teamS up there both blue and the green hooped shits not the politics
  • Options
    edited November 2012

A lot of Protestants support Celtic and not all Celtic supporters are IRA loving idiots either.

Fair comment, but it is strange though, that when I use to drink in my local in Gravesend, when the Celtic were on the box all the paddys would end up getting pissed and the stupid IRA songs would start up. Same as on Paddys Day (Only because I lived opposite and could hear from me front room).......