Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    At Cardiff City Stadium - no news
  • Options
    It’s almost full waiting for that Watford supporter chap E John
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Solidgone said:
    I was heading home on a train from Gatwick and not one person spoke to me about the takeover or mentioned Jim Davidson. 🧐
    Did you start any conversations? 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    All stems from this. Safe to put our houses on it now?

My confidence levels in this sale have just gone through the roof ...
    Who is Jonathan Acworth? 
    Wasnt he thrown off of Charlton life ?
  • Options
    uie2 said:
    _MrDick said:

Who is Jonathan Acworth? 
    If he was it was a very long time ago. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    1743 - birth of Toussaint Louverture Haitian revolutionary. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    uie2 said:
    _MrDick said:

Who is Jonathan Acworth? 
    If he was it was a very long time ago. 
    He’s related to Henry VIII you know!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    & Jimmy Loveridge ..................... The only one of LLs signings that summer who wasn't a success.

John Pearson was signed at the end of 84/85 season, last game of the season it was announced at halftime that we had signed JP for 100k which was a huge fee for us at that time

Didn't we sign Steve Thomson to replace John Pender who got injured after only a few games & if that's correct who played alongside Pender at the start of the season ?
  • Options
    The "two weeks" was perfectly accurate.  It's just that they haven't started yet.
  • Options
    Just finished a nice brew...

Let's see.  Hmmm, you are going on a long jou...r nope!

The tea leafs say no.

• Options
    Right!  Time to get these babies out...

Hmmm.  Nope!
  • Options
    Had a few mates round, gotta get an answer from this?

A bloke called Roland came through...  No he didn't, the twats still alive! allegedly.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I was heading home on a train from Gatwick and not one person spoke to me about the takeover or mentioned Jim Davidson. 🧐
    Rest of the train must not have had social media access for the past 18 months.
  • Options
    Was out drinking with Jim Davidson this evening - told me Roland had ruined the club and he won't come back until he's gone.

Jim is sick of all the CL haters .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @hoof_it_up_to_benty has been out for a beer with Roland tonight, have asked him if RD mentioned the take over or Bow's contract. Just waiting for reply now brb
  • Options
    1743, Capidimonte porcelain is first manufactured in Naples
  • Options
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    & Jimmy Loveridge ..................... The only one of LLs signings that summer who wasn't a success.

John Pearson was signed at the end of 84/85 season, last game of the season it was announced at halftime that we had signed JP for 100k which was a huge fee for us at that time

Didn't we sign Steve Thomson to replace John Pender who got injured after only a few games & if that's correct who played alongside Pender at the start of the season ?
    Les Berry?

He certainly played a handful of games that season. 
  • Options
    I went out for a drink with George Cole tonight, he says he hates twitter and that everyone on it is a fibber...
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure any 'ITK' posters should be taking the piss out of people posting rumours, even if it is JA. Those done deals and two tough weeks have hardly played out well have they? 
    100%
    0% pal
  • Options
    1937 - very nice profiteroles eaten.
  • Options
    I'd rather Ackworth be on Charlton life than elfs.
    Elfs talks more b@llocks than Ackworth.
  • Options
    #nopromote.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Six million views

Six bloody million.

Greatest thread of all time
    @HenryIrving, You have 6 million reasons to be very grateful for RD's lunacy.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!