Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options

The problem was the Belgians came in when we were in and around the relegation zone... We were in and around the relegation zone because of two things

(1) We were having game after game called off because of pitch issues or because of FA Cup commitments
    (2) The summer beforehand every club strengthened and improved their squads from the previous summer... We signed Mark Gower / Richard Wood / Simon Church / Marvin Sordell who despite all being good honest pros, were never going to see us improve on 9th because ultimately the money had been withdrawn from the previous regime.

Ultimately they panicked and ever since we've been paying the price... If anything they should have come in and thought, right we're around the relegation zone... We're shipping goals whilst not scoring, lets concentrate on adding to those areas, instead they decided to remove our most dangerous Striker and the fact we survived thanks to Church and Sordell makes a complete mockery of our Strike force ever since.

P.S.
    Charlton Athletic 3-1 Chesterfield (2011|12) ... Attendance: 22,151
    Charlton Athletic 1-0 Chesterfield (2016|17) ... Attendance: 10,153

Shows that RELEGATION is not the true reflection on why Season Ticket Sales and MatchDay sales are down!!...

Same Weekend the season before (when we werent running away with the League): Charlton Athletic 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday... Attendance: 17,365

I think that, wherever we had been in the league, we'd still have had Standard Liege dross foisted on us at the expense of genuine talent that was frittered away.

Hey, a teenage gimp with a laptop had developed some great algorithms. They could never have known, it was an honest mistake
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Phil Spector? Thought he was dead.

in prison .. for murder
    Signing for Chesterfield, then.
  • Options

Phil Spector? Thought he was dead.

in prison .. for murder
    Oh, now I'm sure I once knew that. Memory is failing.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Rhoys Wiggins and Michael Morrison, both playing for a team in the playoff positions in the championship. both not good enough for Charlton according to Katrien. Another fine example of how good the muppets are in charge.

Thought the same thing myself mate, how can any club let those two go and end up with Roger Johnson and Morgan Fox in their place is infathomable.

Morrison looks solid as a rock still and Wiggins (whilst taking injuries into account), will always be a better player than Fox.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37872351

Out for the season, gutted for Rhoys
  • Options
    Hearing of Rhoys and Danny Ings who having missed one season, is now out for the rest of this one with his other Knee now, Makes you realize that for all the highs of playing football for a living, the lows must be terrible when the joy of being fit and kicking a football, is taken away from you.
    Plus players feel left out when they can't train with their mates.
    I know they are paid very well but that can't replace the buzz of a Match.

Rhoys also lost about a year of his career when he was at Palace.
    I won't ever call him sick note again, it's just not funny anymore.
  • Options

Poor Rhoys, such a nice lad as well.

Didn't realise he was back at Bournemouth as his 'proper' club.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Poor Rhoys, such a nice lad as well.

Didn't realise he was back at Bournemouth as his 'proper' club.
    Bournemouth signed him again last January - a slightly strange move really - he barely played and went on loan to Birmingham this season
  • Options
    Gutted for Rhoys.

Was one of the good 'uns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel so sorry for him. He was one of my favourite players. I still sort of follow his career even though he has left. He's unfortunately had a lot of small injuries in the past couple of years and hasn't played many games. The derby last Sunday was his first start at Birmingham. Although I didn't watch it (got stuck at work) I saw on Twitter quite a few Birmingham fans were saying Rhoys had an excellent game and was their Man of the Match before he got injured in the last minute.... To think he finally got the opportunity to start in a competitive game for the first time in a long time, did so well and then this happened.... Sometimes football is really cruel. It was his birthday yesterday and I didn't even realise he's turning 29. How time flies. This injury must be a big blow to his career. I wish him all the best and a fast and full recovery.
  • Options
    wonder how Gomes is progressing?
  • Options
    Very sad. Good luck for the future Rhoys.
  • Options
  • Options

Very sad news. Looking back at his career, we probably had him at his peak in the first couple of Powell seasons before injuries starting taking their toll

Agreed.
  • Options
    Good player, so unlucky with injuries. Wish him luck with whatever he does next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad. Was a great player for us - very committed, good eye for a pass and fit as a fiddle. I remember him having a couple of absolute stinkers, and Zaha absolutely ruined him, but all of our players were prone to horror shows at that time - and he was a class above in league 1. Nice bloke too by all accounts
  • Options

Sad. Was a great player for us - very committed, good eye for a pass and fit as a fiddle. I remember him having a couple of absolute stinkers, and Zaha absolutely ruined him, but all of our players were prone to horror shows at that time - and he was a class above in league 1. Nice bloke too by all accounts

Reminds me of one of my favourite Charlton Life moments. Back in that televised match against Palace Wiggins was getting twisted up by Zaha. He wasn't having a good game, but then he had to go off injured and plenty of people insisted he'd bottled it and had faked an injury to get off the pitch.

Turned out he'd broken his foot.
  • Options
    Personally I always felt he was overrated but it is very sad to see someone having to retire so young. All the best for whatever he does in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The Final sicknote.

Good luck Rhoys, he lost a year of your career at Palace and that Jinks was always waiting for him at CAFC plus when he moved on.

When you see Daniels and Francis have decent careers in the Premier as attacking full backs (CB as well for SF) then IF injury free Rhoys Wiggins could've emulated the Bournemouth pair.
  • Options
    Fantastic memories from that season. Him and Jacko down the left were a joy to watch. Shame he's had to retire early.
  • Options
    Great player for us . That's sad
  • Options
    Really liked watching Rhoys. Him and Jacko forged a great understanding as they marauded down the left wing together. Thanks for the great memories Rhoys, and all the very best for the future.