Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Fiiish ........we are on the same side of the debate on the Brexit debate but I have to say although you continue to make the anti Brexit case eloquently and vigorously, when replying to Dippenhall you now completely undermine your good arguments with gratuitous personal abuse towards him in every post. If you just stick to the rebuttal of the points he makes I am sure he would stop replying in kind with personal abuse towards you.

Fair enough. I think Dippy has been well and truly exposed now. He can go on thinking he is smart and everyone else is thick if he wants.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/30/fourth-industrial-revolution-could-unlock-445bn-for-uk-report-reveals

This must confuse people who rely on the Guardian to confirm the expert view that Brexit can only be a disaster for the UK.

"That is the conclusion of a government commissioned review on industrial digitalisation, published today and led by industry chief Jürgen Maier, the UK and Ireland boss of German engineering giant Siemens."
    We have just signed a multi million pound contract with siemens to supply and support our building service systems for the next 20 years. No news like bad news. Went to their HQ In Manchester last month. They are investing billions into the UK over the same period.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/30/fourth-industrial-revolution-could-unlock-445bn-for-uk-report-reveals

This must confuse people who rely on the Guardian to confirm the expert view that Brexit can only be a disaster for the UK.

IR4 is a real game changer moving forward and the UK is at the forefront in Europe and in a strong position globally.

Digitalisation, AI, IoT, Blockchain, etc will transform the world of trade and many other aspects of our lives.
    Are you trying to claim that this revolution would not happen if we stayed in the EU? Somehow the EU would prevent the UK from fully benefiting from this revolution if the UK remained a member?
    You lot could cause an argument in a nunnery!

No I didn’t claim that at all. READ MY POST AGAIN.

It says nothing about Brexit. I am commenting on IR4 because a link had been posted about the subject.

Sometimes people on here try too hard to object to my posts.
    Well said. Some here would find someone to argue with in an empty room.
  • Options

This is weary. I think we should close the thread, meet up, apologise, have a few drinks to celebrate and talk about football.

100% agree.
  • Options
    Anyway, taking further @A-R-T-H-U-R recent post touching on where all the funding money has come from, anyone who is serious about protecting the UK's democratic integrity should play close attention to Carole Cadwalladr. She is a Guardian reporter - n.b. NOT a columnist such as Toynbee or Jones - and she has a real head of steam up on this. This article is 8 months old but still a reference point and she has been plugging away ever since despite various legal threats. Well worth following on Twitter where she is taking it to the men in the shadows as well as Farage and Assange. Highly entertaining as well as revealing.

I am sure she is savvy enough not to go for a cup of tea with a couple of geezers from Moscow, but the more people follow her the less chance there is that she might come to harm. And yes, I seriously believe that might happen.

• Options

Anyway, taking further @A-R-T-H-U-R recent post touching on where all the funding money has come from, anyone who is serious about protecting the UK's democratic integrity should play close attention to Carole Cadwalladr. She is a Guardian reporter - n.b. NOT a columnist such as Toynbee or Jones - and she has a real head of steam up on this. This article is 8 months old but still a reference point and she has been plugging away ever since despite various legal threats. Well worth following on Twitter where she is taking it to the men in the shadows as well as Farage and Assange. Highly entertaining as well as revealing.

I am sure she is savvy enough not to go for a cup of tea with a couple of geezers from Moscow, but the more people follow her the less chance there is that she might come to harm. And yes, I seriously believe that might happen.

Followed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

se9addick said:
    It's outrageous that the pinkos at the BBC should seek to stir up trouble with their constant harping and whining. What these metropolitan elitist agitators don't realise is that Brexit was never about jobs, so why bring that up now? If the BBC wants to keep it's charter, it needs to exercise more balance and start publishing some good news, like that fact that Brexit paves the was to getting proper British blue passports. Possibly. That is surely more important than a mere 75,000 jobs. And anyway just think of all that extra seasonal work that will be open to Brits again once the Poles find that they no longer have the right to monopolise the Lincolnshire potato picking concession. That will easily offset the loss of a few cushy numbers for the Champaign Charlies in the city.
    https://youtu.be/XadrF1A9N5E
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    There was a discussion about this on nick ferrari show this morning, and the banking 'expert' who is on every day, totally dismissed these figures. Banks shed thousands of jobs every year and have done since the year dot. Can't recall ever reading it here before or anyone who was bothered before.

Its cold outside..... Blame brexit.
  • Options

se9addick said:
    There was a discussion about this on nick ferrari show this morning, and the banking 'expert' who is on every day, totally dismissed these figures. Banks shed thousands of jobs every year and have done since the year dot. Can't recall ever reading it here before or anyone who was bothered before.

Banks, like all businesses, shed or add workers according to need, as part of normal business, I agree.

However, it is relatively unusual to have banking roles across the industry transfer out of one finanacial marketplace into another; it might even be said to be unique...

PS It's pissing in Belfast, as well as cold. Taking your advice into account, Brexit must be an even bigger fcuk up than I had thought. :-)
  • Options

se9addick said:

Easily dismissed as just project fear
  • Options

se9addick said:

Easily dismissed as just project fear
    I notice that the report is by a Dutch bank.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Banks, like all businesses, shed or add workers according to need, as part of normal business, I agree.

However, it is relatively unusual to have banking roles across the industry transfer out of one finanacial marketplace into another; it might even be said to be unique...

PS It's pissing in Belfast, as well as cold. Taking your advice into account, Brexit must be an even bigger fcuk up than I had thought. :-)
    Well i prefer to listen to the experts that suit my agenda as you do... And he works in the sector and dismissed them. I doubt most punters on here know the first thing about the banking business, yet are forever posting tripe about it.

It doesn't matter whether brexit is totally successful or not, some of you will always find negatives, irs become tedious.

Its raining here now, we know who to blame.
  • Options
    Further to this, my wife works in the financial sector and has diversified several times for the same bank. So it's not unusual at all. Theres hardly a week goes by without her talking about redundancies in the industry. And that's been going on for years. Banks will always put profit before people.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Do you mean Nick Ferrari that well known pinko liberal who sits just to the right of Ghengis Khan ? Shock horror that he comes up with someone on his show to cast doubt onto the figures.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

@stonemuse .....In your reply to Prague a couple of pages back you you stated you believe in Free Trade. Yet you support the UK leaving the largest Free Trade area ever created. Is this not a contradiction?

You also stated you are opposed to governments interfering in trade between countries and you are concerned about tariffs harming economic growth of developing countries.

A simple google search will allow anyone to see the massive amount of monetary aid that the EU provides to developing countries. It amounts to more than 50% of the total aid given to these countries.

Another simple google search will allow anyone to see the evidence of the many EU fair trade policies that ensure many developing countries get fair and sustainable prices for their produce. Are you opposed to these fair trade policies? Even though they are examples of governments interfering in the price of goods traded between countries?

It’s a free trade area for members.

Will revert in more detail when I get a chance later in the week.

Already spent far too long on this on Saturday when I should have been working .... coincidentally on a trade seminar presentation.
    Not got too much time but promised a further response. Doing this in between a couple of trade projects that I am working on, so may be a little disjointed.

The Single Market can be defined as the geographic area within which EU regulation creates ease of doing business for members and around which the EU creates a protective trade barrier. In essence this means that, currently, we trade on an equal footing with all other members. Under the Customs Union, members may not impose tariffs or non-tariff barriers on imports from other EU members. However, all members do impose a centrally agreed tariff rate on imports from the rest of the world (Common External Tariff - CET). It should be noted that this does not mean that there is a common tariff rate – there are a myriad of tariffs that can be incredibly confusing. For instance, seven different tariffs apply to coffee. The tariff structure continually changes and it is incredibly difficult to find out why changes occur in numerous cases. At times, it seems that a change happens just because one industry has a louder lobbyist. It is never clear how the interest of the consumer is taken into account.

In the event that we leave the EU, the CET would be imposed upon the UK – as far as I can ascertain, the average tariff on manufactured goods is about 4% - this is what we might face. It is higher for some industries such as 10% for automobiles.

Non-tariff barriers are more of a hassle and form a key part of the EU’s trade barrier against non-EU members. My hope is that if we leave, we decide to put in place a unilateral free trade policy (UFT), i.e. a tariff-free policy. UFT has a long historical background and can be seen, as I mentioned in my previous post, all the way back to the repeal of the Corn Laws. Sir Robert Peel commented: “Let, therefore, our commerce be as free as our institutions. Let us proclaim commerce free, and nation after nation will follow our example”. After the repeal of the Corn Laws, many bilateral trade treaties were established with the UK. Could this happen again? I certainly believe so.

UFT is in existence in both Hong Kong and Singapore. I lived and worked in Singapore for a long time and still travel there for work on a regular basis. Although Singapore imposes tariffs on goods such as alcohol and cars (both very expensive over there), according to the WTO the average tariff on imports of manufactured goods is zero. Doesn’t seem to have done them much harm implementing UTF.

Much comment has been made on the various Brexit threads about the ‘strength’ of remaining in the EU to negotiate Free Trade Agreements. I have continually stated that I do not accept this, so let’s look at a few facts. As we know, all 28 countries have to agree a FTA – which led to the ridiculous situation last year when the Canada deal was help up by Wallonia. In fact, I do not see how the EU’s track record in establishing FTA’s can be seen as anything other than very weak. Yes, there are a large number of FTA’s in place, but many are with former colonies of EU members and did not need too much effort. Furthermore, the EU still has no FTA’s with the US, China, Japan, India, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia, amongst others. It is also interesting to note that the EU has relatively few FTA’s with Commonwealth countries; one would hope that this would not be a big problem for us. And it is worth highlighting that the Commonwealth is not small. According to the book ‘Old Links and New Ties’, it stretches across 54 independent nations, embracing 16 realms and 38 republics or other monarchies and somewhere above 2 billion people, just about a third of the human race – and, on paper at least, an economic area with 20% of the world’s trade and growth prospects. That is very attractive growth potential for the UK. It certainly does no harm that many of these nations use the English language and have legal strictures based on English common law.

So how has the supposed negotiating expertise of the EU actually benefited the UK in existing FTAs? Existing FTAs only cover 14% of our goods exports and 9% of our services exports. For services, more than 80% of the value of the markets covered are accounted for by exports to Norway and Switzerland. I have no doubt that we can, at the absolute minimum, match this.

One more point: some of the FTAs established by the EU are known as ‘mixed-competence’ agreements. This means that, using the EU/Korean FTA as an example, all that is needed for the UK to continue post-Brexit would be a statement by the UK that it intended to continue to operate the terms of the FTA with Korea, and a corresponding statement by Korea agreeing the same. Doesn’t sound too tough to me. Even when we look at the FTAs that are not ‘mixed-competence’, how difficult would it be to simply agree to carry on with a deal that existed beforehand?

And why should we have to take many years to establish a FTA as is the case with the EU. Look at Australia – they placed a deadline on trade negotiations with Korea, China and Japan – as a result it took six months to sign a deal with Korea, eight months with Japan, and 13 months with China. Do you really believe that we could not do this as well as Australia? Bottom line, as long as we restrict negotiations to matters of trade only, signing trade deals should not be that difficult or lengthy. The EU takes so long because it has no choice but to get bogged down with innumerable local regulations, standards, and legal disputes. 27 years to negotiate a trade agreement with the US and it still probably won’t happen!

Ueli Maurer, the Swiss Finance Minister, was quoted in the FT in March this year: “The UK has lots of advantages and if they are used cleverly to decouple from the EU, as well as the new freedom in a good bilateral relationship, the UK could develop very positively – I’m convinced of that.
  • Options
    Ridiculously impressive post @stonemuse, far to much authority and far too many assumptions relying on common senses not backed up by any experts acceptable to Remain voters.

Brexit will be a disaster, the facts prove it will be, how many times do you have to be told before you understand?
  • Options

Ridiculously impressive post @stonemuse, far to much authority and far too many assumptions relying on common senses not backed up by any experts acceptable to Remain voters.

Brexit will be a disaster, the facts prove it will be, how many times do you have to be told before you understand?

Yawn.

• Options
    I think it's fair to say we've found the boss level pro-hard-Brexit post. Where's Grapevine?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

@stonemuse .....In your reply to Prague a couple of pages back you you stated you believe in Free Trade. Yet you support the UK leaving the largest Free Trade area ever created. Is this not a contradiction?

You also stated you are opposed to governments interfering in trade between countries and you are concerned about tariffs harming economic growth of developing countries.

A simple google search will allow anyone to see the massive amount of monetary aid that the EU provides to developing countries. It amounts to more than 50% of the total aid given to these countries.

Another simple google search will allow anyone to see the evidence of the many EU fair trade policies that ensure many developing countries get fair and sustainable prices for their produce. Are you opposed to these fair trade policies? Even though they are examples of governments interfering in the price of goods traded between countries?

It’s a free trade area for members.

Will revert in more detail when I get a chance later in the week.

Already spent far too long on this on Saturday when I should have been working .... coincidentally on a trade seminar presentation.
    Not got too much time but promised a further response. Doing this in between a couple of trade projects that I am working on, so may be a little disjointed.

The Single Market can be defined as the geographic area within which EU regulation creates ease of doing business for members and around which the EU creates a protective trade barrier. In essence this means that, currently, we trade on an equal footing with all other members. Under the Customs Union, members may not impose tariffs or non-tariff barriers on imports from other EU members. However, all members do impose a centrally agreed tariff rate on imports from the rest of the world (Common External Tariff - CET). It should be noted that this does not mean that there is a common tariff rate – there are a myriad of tariffs that can be incredibly confusing. For instance, seven different tariffs apply to coffee. The tariff structure continually changes and it is incredibly difficult to find out why changes occur in numerous cases. At times, it seems that a change happens just because one industry has a louder lobbyist. It is never clear how the interest of the consumer is taken into account.

In the event that we leave the EU, the CET would be imposed upon the UK – as far as I can ascertain, the average tariff on manufactured goods is about 4% - this is what we might face. It is higher for some industries such as 10% for automobiles.

Non-tariff barriers are more of a hassle and form a key part of the EU’s trade barrier against non-EU members. My hope is that if we leave, we decide to put in place a unilateral free trade policy (UFT), i.e. a tariff-free policy. UFT has a long historical background and can be seen, as I mentioned in my previous post, all the way back to the repeal of the Corn Laws. Sir Robert Peel commented: “Let, therefore, our commerce be as free as our institutions. Let us proclaim commerce free, and nation after nation will follow our example”. After the repeal of the Corn Laws, many bilateral trade treaties were established with the UK. Could this happen again? I certainly believe so.

UFT is in existence in both Hong Kong and Singapore. I lived and worked in Singapore for a long time and still travel there for work on a regular basis. Although Singapore imposes tariffs on goods such as alcohol and cars (both very expensive over there), according to the WTO the average tariff on imports of manufactured goods is zero. Doesn’t seem to have done them much harm implementing UTF.

Much comment has been made on the various Brexit threads about the ‘strength’ of remaining in the EU to negotiate Free Trade Agreements. I have continually stated that I do not accept this, so let’s look at a few facts. As we know, all 28 countries have to agree a FTA – which led to the ridiculous situation last year when the Canada deal was help up by Wallonia. In fact, I do not see how the EU’s track record in establishing FTA’s can be seen as anything other than very weak. Yes, there are a large number of FTA’s in place, but many are with former colonies of EU members and did not need too much effort. Furthermore, the EU still has no FTA’s with the US, China, Japan, India, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia, amongst others. It is also interesting to note that the EU has relatively few FTA’s with Commonwealth countries; one would hope that this would not be a big problem for us. And it is worth highlighting that the Commonwealth is not small. According to the book ‘Old Links and New Ties’, it stretches across 54 independent nations, embracing 16 realms and 38 republics or other monarchies and somewhere above 2 billion people, just about a third of the human race – and, on paper at least, an economic area with 20% of the world’s trade and growth prospects. That is very attractive growth potential for the UK. It certainly does no harm that many of these nations use the English language and have legal strictures based on English common law.

So how has the supposed negotiating expertise of the EU actually benefited the UK in existing FTAs? Existing FTAs only cover 14% of our goods exports and 9% of our services exports. For services, more than 80% of the value of the markets covered are accounted for by exports to Norway and Switzerland. I have no doubt that we can, at the absolute minimum, match this.

One more point: some of the FTAs established by the EU are known as ‘mixed-competence’ agreements. This means that, using the EU/Korean FTA as an example, all that is needed for the UK to continue post-Brexit would be a statement by the UK that it intended to continue to operate the terms of the FTA with Korea, and a corresponding statement by Korea agreeing the same. Doesn’t sound too tough to me. Even when we look at the FTAs that are not ‘mixed-competence’, how difficult would it be to simply agree to carry on with a deal that existed beforehand?

And why should we have to take many years to establish a FTA as is the case with the EU. Look at Australia – they placed a deadline on trade negotiations with Korea, China and Japan – as a result it took six months to sign a deal with Korea, eight months with Japan, and 13 months with China. Do you really believe that we could not do this as well as Australia? Bottom line, as long as we restrict negotiations to matters of trade only, signing trade deals should not be that difficult or lengthy. The EU takes so long because it has no choice but to get bogged down with innumerable local regulations, standards, and legal disputes. 27 years to negotiate a trade agreement with the US and it still probably won’t happen!

Ueli Maurer, the Swiss Finance Minister, was quoted in the FT in March this year: “The UK has lots of advantages and if they are used cleverly to decouple from the EU, as well as the new freedom in a good bilateral relationship, the UK could develop very positively – I’m convinced of that.
    There are a lot of assumptions and statements in your post I simply find difficult to believe to be true. I need time to investigate. I hope NornIrishAddick responds beforehand as he is much more knowledgable on these matters than I am.

But going back to my original point am I correct in saying that if a Free Trade area has two members, that is a good thing, but if it has more than two members that is a bad thing? That seems to be what you are saying. If it is what is the logic behind that view?
  • Options
    I've put that post to some others. Apparently there are a few inaccuracies. China/Aus deal took ten years, not 13 months, and Walloons held up Canada deal a whole two weeks (gosh crikey! Two weeks!) - more to come as we get it

Oh and I'll also step in and flatly stare down the whole Singapore/HK city-state comparison. Mate.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

There are a lot of assumptions and statements in your post I simply find difficult to believe to be true. I need time to investigate. I hope NornIrishAddick responds beforehand as he is much more knowledgable on these matters than I am.

But going back to my original point am I correct in saying that if a Free Trade area has two members, that is a good thing, but if it has more than two members that is a bad thing? That seems to be what you are saying. If it is what is the logic behind that view?
    It's an opinion on how we should move forward - I cannot prove the future, neither can anyone. I believe it will work - only time will tell.

You wanted to understand my justification for my trade views - I have given them.

I do not understand your point about 'more than two members'. I am happy with bilateral and multilateral trade agreements provided they are based on matters of trade only. The numbers involved are irrelevant - I am saying that I do not believe the EU approach works - my arguments have been given. I know you won't agree but that's not a problem.

Perhaps you can tell me why the EU approach to negotiating trade deals is a good one? And explain to me why it takes them so long and why that is good? And why they cannot make trade deals with so many countries in a reasonable time?

Al least I take time to outline my thoughts whether or not you agree. The consensus on here recently has been that anyone who voted exit did it on the basis of being stupid and not understanding anything. I hope, at the least, that it shows I did not base my decision on ignorance.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

In the event that we leave the EU, the CET would be imposed upon the UK – the average tariff on manufactured goods is about 4% - this is what we might face. It is higher for some industries such as 10% for automobiles.

Strangely enough, from what I can glean, it is reported that the negotiations for these trade deals took between 4 (Korea) & 10 years (China). And, with the month that is in it, it is, perhaps, worth noting that the announcements that car plants in Australia were to close happened very soon after the trade deals were agreed. It may be worth suggesting that the UK economy is a tad more complex than that of Australia, in terms of trade.

The biggest problem with assuming that current EU FTAs could be rolled over would be that, just as with the WTO schedules, other countries may seek to improve the agreement from their perspective - https://thetimes.co.uk/article/doubts-on-piggyback-trade-deals-after-britain-leaves-eu-vwsp0g2sj. The wording of the current EU FTAs would be key, & mixed agreements may be automatically terminated on exit (he said plagiarising from a pre-Referendum blog: eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/brexit-and-eu-uk-trade-relations-with.html). Even in the best case scenario, renegotiation could be the order of the day in many cases.

Apart from that, I doubt that the UK can be Singapore or Hong Kong, & am very wary of the UK introducing unilateral free trade. To me, it looks very much like that, without reciprocity, the UK, in unilaterally abandoning what protections are allowed, would be effectively supporting competitors to the detriment of UK producers. I'm a bit concerned that the UK position at the time of the repeal of the Corn Laws might have been slightly more favourable than now, so there was more incentive for others to seek bilateral deals (declaring UFT removes almost all interest for third parties to seek bilateral deals, other than on a purely sectoral basis).

For what it's worth, here's an interesting article on how the EU trade negotiations work: ukandeu.ac.uk/explainers/article-218-the-new-article-50/.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I've put that post to some others. Apparently there are a few inaccuracies. China/Aus deal took ten years, not 13 months, and Walloons held up Canada deal a whole two weeks (gosh crikey! Two weeks!) - more to come as we get it

Oh and I'll also step in and flatly stare down the whole Singapore/HK city-state comparison. Mate.

The Aussie PM, Tony Abbott, said that negotiations were getting nowhere with Japan and China - he then set a deadline - after setting a deadline, it was resolved in months.

My point about Wallonia, as you know full well, was an example of how deals can be held up for minor issues.

What is your point about Singapore?

Mate? Don't think I know you but we are fellow Charlton supporters so maybe that's what you mean.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!