Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Fine margins as the commentator said. Taylor nearly scores to make it 3-0 and then donny score a shite goal. Annoyed by that but we still were the top team by miles. No doubt we'll get the job done at the Valley on Friday. We better bloody make the final because I've already taken the day off work
  • Options
    Score and scorers as I predicted :smiley:

well done the team and the fans 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Great performance while we had 2 up front. Predictably poor with 1 up front. I hate how we go into 'shit mode' when we're winning - it means only one team is likely to score. BUT, the good outweighed the bad and we will surely finish the job!
    Yeah thought Pratley was brought on too early. Morgan wasn't as brilliant today as he has been but Pratley really slows momentum. Felt the same about the Pearce substitution. But it seemed Parker was struggling and it was basically bring on Pearce or a midfielder. The early substitution of Morgan kind of forced Bowyer's hand (given we don't have a striker on the bench). So we invited them on to us for half an hour and they got one back.

Still, good result. Very good result. Never really had to get out of third gear. We are capable of much better but we did the job away from home. Friday night will be rocking.

Hope Parker hasn't picked up anything serious. He's not the best footballer on the planet but provides a very good foil for Taylor and had a goal wrongfully chalked off. 
    Re Parker’s “goal”. I have to disagree, he clearly pulled their guy back. 
  • Options
    In the pub having finished my bottle of Prosecco. Slightly tipsy (surprise!) and need to calm down before wending my way home. The pub handed round a quiz with pics of past and present Brighton, Liverpool, Citee, and Wolves players. Could I give a toss? Lee Bowyer’s Red and White Army
  • Options
    Complete fluke goal unfortunately but I’d have taken a 1-0 loss before the game, think we’ll have them at home. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redcarter said:
    We were superb but that late goal has really filled me with dread. 
    Filled with dread?  Hang on a minute, we thrashed Barcelona 4-0 in our last home game. What, that was Liverpool?  Sorry, easy to get confused. 
  • Options
    Lots of talk about the flukey Donny goal but ours could be considered the same: the keeper accidentally keeping the ball in play for the first and a very poor effort from the same keeper for the second.

But I'm not complaining. Scrappy second haf as we seemed to be content with the lead we had, yet we still had chances even sitting back. I really couldn't see Donny scoring despite them havong more of the ball. I was wrong!

After last week's ridiculous European results I wouldn't have bought a flight ticket even if we'd wom 3-0. At 2-1 I'll be taking a tentative look at Skyscanner!
  • Options
    It's HT and we are 2-1 up.
    No more no less.
    There are a decent side but  if we find our A game plus the rub of the green  we will be in the final.

Game on.

• Options
    Should of been 3-0 but pre game would of took 0-0 so a great result and we’re halfway there. 

8 shots on target by us 2 by them says it all really. 

Confident we can really do a number on them at home, John maquis not looking too special today millwall cnut

as a side note really not a fan of twist and shout being sung it’s a bloody palace song!!!!
    Would HAVE. 

That aside, agree about Marquis. You can take the boy out of Smallwall...
  • Options
    Thought the Pratley sub came a touch early, but Bowyer seems very conscious of not burning out Albie, and the way he played first half we can expect to see him start at the Valley and in the final if we get there. Pratley did well when he came on though. 

As with every other time we’ve played it, we looked far less effective with one up front. Is Reeco injured? I’d have him on the bench if he isn’t. 

Overall though we were the better side and just one deflected cross away from a perfect away leg. 

MOTM Joe Now-You-See-It-Now-You-Don’t Aribo. 
  • Options
    Never in doubt, controlled the game for most of the time. 
    Shame about the freak goal at the end but that’ll make Friday so much better, I want to see a cup tie not a kick about.
    Sod that. 5-0 kick-about with no chance of an injury before Wembley any day of the week. 
  • Options
    I said I would be happy with a 0-1 win, so 1-2 is almost as good. I thought the team played well and was in control most of the game, until the last 15 minutes or so. They got a lucky deflection, but so did we. I am still confident and will be happy for a 1-0 win on Friday, but would prefer more goals from us. I hope those that needed the match day thread was able to keep up with the game.
  • Options
    Away goals don’t count double so they only need to nick a 1-0 win to take to extra time.  However I expect us to take the game to them and try to put them out of sight with a goal.

Pretty scrappy overall - having watched two amazing Champions League matches in the week, League One is like a different sport quality wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Great performance while we had 2 up front. Predictably poor with 1 up front. I hate how we go into 'shit mode' when we're winning - it means only one team is likely to score. BUT, the good outweighed the bad and we will surely finish the job!
    Yeah thought Pratley was brought on too early. Morgan wasn't as brilliant today as he has been but Pratley really slows momentum. Felt the same about the Pearce substitution. But it seemed Parker was struggling and it was basically bring on Pearce or a midfielder. The early substitution of Morgan kind of forced Bowyer's hand (given we don't have a striker on the bench). So we invited them on to us for half an hour and they got one back.

Still, good result. Very good result. Never really had to get out of third gear. We are capable of much better but we did the job away from home. Friday night will be rocking.

Hope Parker hasn't picked up anything serious. He's not the best footballer on the planet but provides a very good foil for Taylor and had a goal wrongfully chalked off. 
    Re Parker’s “goal”. I have to disagree, he clearly pulled their guy back. 
    Thought their player did as much, if not more, pulling as Parker did!

But yeah one of those that is always going to go against the attacker. 
  • Options
    Should of been 3-0 but pre game would of took 0-0 so a great result and we’re halfway there. 

8 shots on target by us 2 by them says it all really. 

Confident we can really do a number on them at home, John maquis not looking too special today millwall cnut

as a side note really not a fan of twist and shout being sung it’s a bloody palace song!!!!
    Would HAVE. 

That aside, agree about Marquis. You can take the boy out of Smallwall...
    Just a shit Andy Carroll
  • Options
    This was a play off semi final not a team waiting to have its belly tickled.
    Superb result and with the lack of another striker, I understand Bowyers thinking.
    Game on.
  • Options
    Sat in the beefeater garden with a couple of pints.  I am knackered, feel like I just played 90 minutes myself. 

Should have won that 3 or 4 nil, wouldn't be Charlton if we didn't make it slightly harder for ourselves. I'll watch the game tomorrow again but the Parker foul looked harsh and Cullen should of had a pen or been booked for diving. 

Pratley did well when he came on, Pearce is scary trying to play it out from the back. 
  • Options
    Disappointed we conceded that late goal, when we looked in almost total control, but it means we have to turn up on Friday. I think at two nil we might have attempted to coast through the second leg.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Pratley got lots of tackles in this time at least, but he really isn't the right man for our shape - far too slow and negative. Even if he plays ok - as he did today - he isn't so good for the team imo - he may get a tackle in, but the ball's coming back five seconds later.

The worst substitution was going 1 up front though
    To be fair, we don’t have a reserve striker. I do agree, possibly for the first time ever with you, that we are much better with 2 up front, even if one of them is Parker