Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Sugar in twitter storm

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Thought it was funny, myself

What is funny about it? Unless you like sniggering at the notion that all Africans are beach sellers? Including those Africans that earn money 100k plus a week playing for Everton, Liverpool, Napoli etc....

The worst thing about the tweet was the total lack of humour which displays it's true intent of offense and degradation of an entire nation.

He's not
    Mate, I think you should delete that
  • Options
    Alan Sugar was a idiot posting this picture in the first place as he should know that some people will have no better things to do in their lives and get upset by it. It was a joke by Alan and it's nothing offensive by that at all.

A lot of African's around Spain do sell cheap watches and all that and if some African took the piss of us drinking tea...would I be offended by that...of course not!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I work with a lot of Americans. Quite often they will mimick my British accent and say things like “Are you spending the weekend making tea and crumpets?”

Stereotypical based jokes. I don’t take offence at it. Is it drastically different from what’s happened here?

I'm offended by the fact us they think Brits would have crumpets with tea...it's biscuit lol
  • Options
    Great post Paddy17, succinct, respectful and you put across some good points
  • Options
    Can't we just change the title to "Twat storm" and move on?
  • Options
    Didn't the government introduce a sugar tax recently?

Hopefully he's paying more....
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    shine166 said:

That knobhead is the first to shout about anti semetism and comes out with crap like that ?

Well said. That is the point. Also agree with the it wasn't that bad camp - and if he wasn't one of the stone throwers there wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    As someone has said....stuck in the 70s.
    The Apprentice is crap now. Time to retire from public life I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:

cafctom said:

I work with a lot of Americans. Quite often they will mimick my British accent and say things like “Are you spending the weekend making tea and crumpets?”

Stereotypical based jokes. I don’t take offence at it. Is it drastically different from what’s happened here?

In a similar vein..
    Our toolbox talk this morning descended into who's going where for holidays.
    Present were 1 from Dominican Republic, 1 black British, 1 Romanian and 2 English.

Says the chap from Dominican Republic
    "you white people really make me laugh, you deliberately go to cold places for holidays "
    Me. I can't take the sun, i just burn, i'm too fair"
    Showing them my pure white legs, the 2 black blokes piss themselves laughing saying "you're so fucking white"

Naturally i was overcome with offendedness.
    And that’s great , and that’s fine , but most importantly it’s different to the AS point

My family is a veritable United Nations - English , Irish , Guyanan , Indian, Jamaican, Sierra Leonian . There is regular banter, mock accents , jokes etc. This all from the safe and secure plane that is family. There is total ( almost) trust and long standing and deep relationship. We are all happy to play this way so it’s cool. The same is also true when close friends or colleagues do this just as you describe

When however strangers do this , or people with power do this there is ,or certainly can be, an entirely different dynamic in play .

Predujice + power = racism / sexism etc.

I personally doubt AS is a racist, but his post does suggest a lack of understanding or care about how stereotyping works and what it’s impact can be

I think Paddy cracked it with,

1) you're in a setting amongst peers.
  • Options
    Do Senagalese men sell sunglasses from a blanket?

a) They did on a beach I went to once
    b) Now they are unfettered of the Imperialist yoke, they are free to trade in a consumer market
    c) Does it matter?

Is a photoshop of the Senegalese football team selling sunglasses from a blanket funny?

a) My Senagalese mate at work loved it
    b) Jokes directed at POC is stealth racism
    c) Not really

If the English football team were photoshopped wearing pith helmets and loading African slaves onto a ship, would it be racist?

a) Has Diane Abbott done this?
    b) Considering the white players' ancestors were probably complicit in the slave trade - no
    c) Yes...no...don't really care

Mostly a) You're racist
    Mostly b) You're not racist
    Mostly c) You're indifferent to an old man's tweets

• Options
    edited June 2018
    cafctom said:

One is generalizing against a race to millions of people.... the other is between friends in private

..... yer it's exactly the same
  • Options

shine166 said:

That knobhead is the first to shout about anti semetism and comes out with crap like that ?

Well said. That is the point. Also agree with the it wasn't that bad camp - and if he wasn't one of the stone throwers there wouldn't be a problem.
    Exactly, really don't care about his opinion... but I bet if someone made a generalised jew joke he'd be all over it
  • Options
    Redskin said:

b) Now they are unfettered of the Imperialist yoke, they are free to trade in a consumer market
    c) Does it matter?

Is a photoshop of the Senegalese football team selling sunglasses from a blanket funny?

c) Not really

If the English football team were photoshopped wearing pith helmets and loading African slaves onto a ship, would it be racist?

b) Considering the white players' ancestors were probably complicit in the slave trade - no

Mostly a) You're racist

Can you redo this as a venn diagram, cheers.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Alan Sugar was a idiot posting this picture in the first place as he should know that some people will have no better things to do in their lives and get upset by it. It was a joke by Alan and it's nothing offensive by that at all.

A lot of African's around Spain do sell cheap watches and all that and if some African took the piss of us drinking tea...would I be offended by that...of course not!

Drinking tea and selling counterfeit goods are nowhere near the same thing.

Imagine a black African multi millionaire posting an image of the white English players with booze and passed out love island slags photoshopped around them, with the caption “didn’t know you could play football when lying around pissed and getting into fights”. That’s probably a bit closer than drinking fucking tea ffs.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

c) Does it matter?

c) Not really

Mostly a) You're racist

incidentally are you a native american indian ?

can you give us a view from that perspective as we havent covered it ?
  • Options
    Redskin said:

c) Does it matter?

c) Not really

Mostly a) You're racist

Are you Leuth, in disguise?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Imagine a black African multi millionaire posting an image of the white English players with booze and passed out love island slags photoshopped around them, with the caption “didn’t know you could play football when lying around pissed and getting into fights”. That’s probably a bit closer than drinking fucking tea ffs.
    I would have absolutely zero problem with this
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Sounds like a quality night to be fair.
  • Options

lolwray said:

Redskin said:

c) Does it matter?

c) Not really

Mostly a) You're racist

incidentally are you a native american indian ?

can you give us a view from that perspective as we havent covered it ?
    How?
    very good.
  • Options
    masicat said:

This offended me.

and me, what sort of mook drinks carling?
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Nor is Black Africans selling cheap stuff, making money and white English players with booze and passed out love island slags photoshopped around them.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Nor is Black Africans selling cheap stuff, making money and white English players with booze and passed out love island slags photoshopped around them.

Well, you're admitting that there is a difference between drinking tea and selling counterfeit sunglasses, my comparison was to draw you to the idea that sugar's tweet was a negative stereotype of black people, africa is a giant continent with hundreds of millions in population and yet a few blokes with very dark skin tones MUST be the same kind of people that sell sunglasses where you go on holiday cos obviously "black africans do that" apparently.
  • Options
    Lord Sir Alan deserves to be burnt as a witch. If you disagree with me I denounce you as a witch 'n all.
  • Options

Lord Sir Alan deserves to be burnt as a witch. If you disagree with me I denounce you as a witch 'n all.

He turned me into a newt.