Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players in racism storm (video in The Sun).....

Comments

• Options
    Everybody in the company I worked for had to attend diversity training courses.

All the isms were covered and examples given of how attitudes and practices needed to change. One thing that was made extremely clear was that no leeway whatsoever was given to interpretation. If the recipient of said comments took offence, then it was an offence. In other words, to say a comment was meant as a joke or was simply banter could not be used in defence and disciplinary action would be winging its way in your direction pretty quickly.

On leaving the meeting I was approached by a west Indian guy I had known for 30 years. He assured me that he would continue to abuse me in time honoured fashion. I told him I’d be offended if he stopped. The thing is though, the company were serious and it pretty much put an end to all the 'old style' risque banter and jokes.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Whoever is arguing that WhatsApp is social media is wrong.

You need to have that persons number on your phone, it’s a private group. If one of those people decides to share the information on it then that’s their choice.

It’s like telling your mate something and he decides to tell someone else and then claiming your pal Keith is a form of social media.

I'm on 3 of my sons football team groups , there are loads of other parents on these groups whose numbers I don't have and yes it is dangerous, I sent a 'rude' video by mistake to the wrong group (before you could delete messages) and got an "inappropriate" message back from a mother who I didn't know and obviously the dads loved the bants , thankfully it was one of the tamer ones that i had been sent!
    WhatsApp is my preferred messaging app but it is not social media and should not be used as such.

Unfortunately as long as someone has your number they can add you without you knowing.

For example, saw a report of a girl being harassed on WhatsApp because her takeaway delivery driver used her number to start chatting with her.

And the next one made me particularly angry. Mrs Fiiish was sent a message on WhatsApp by her gym warning of closures due to the snow last week. However they did this by adding all their customers to one big group and sending a message. Meaning my wife's name and number could be seen by hundreds of strangers. Surely this is a data protection breach?
    What happened to your wife is a data protection breach. They've made her name and number available to loads of random people. It's a cockup rather than malicious, but organisations have been fined for similar.

• Options
    Heard far worse derogatory remarks with the same colourful language and national/cultural stereotyping in the stands of many a football ground from people, around kids as well, and invariably said people will usually have a sun newspaper folded under one arm...
  • Options
    the Club needs to make a statement imo. If so I assume it will come from Head Bully, Tony Keohane. Oh the irony.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

It slightly saddens me that when we see footage of our players on social occasions, there usually seems to be a divide between the white players and the black players, you never seem to see them mixing together.

Quite a few of the black players are religious.
    Religion also causes a problem - some religions have pretty extreme views which are not exactly pro diversity. A lot of religious people insist on sharing their views however extreme they are.
    Our guys are more mainstream Christian I think. I think you're talking about radical Islam. Very few mainstream Muslims insist on sharing their views in the way you're referring to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the Club needs to make a statement imo. If so I assume it will come from Head Bully, Tony Keohane. Oh the irony.

Maybe they should launch an investigation, what's Chief Inspector Eager, up to these days?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

It slightly saddens me that when we see footage of our players on social occasions, there usually seems to be a divide between the white players and the black players, you never seem to see them mixing together.

Religion also causes a problem - some religions have pretty extreme views which are not exactly pro diversity. A lot of religious people insist on sharing their views however extreme they are.
    Our guys are more mainstream Christian I think. I think you're talking about radical Islam. Very few mainstream Muslims insist on sharing their views in the way you're referring to.
    I've heard some offensive stuff from people in all religious groups - the vast majority of people don't discuss their religion but sadly a minority insist on sharing their prehistoric views and get offended when you don't agree.
  • Options
    No one knows the background/context, so everyone is pre judging without knowing the facts.

If Kennedy/Magennis were ok with it and saw it as usual banter, then whoever let it get in the press is stupid/action needs to be taken and that's about it.

If Kennedy/Magennis or any players were being bullied, then that's more serious and should be investigated and dealt with.
  • Options
    Would have been interesting if some of those comments had been directed at our Tone, he'd have been hitting *speed dial 1 "Tom in se9"* while the kettle was boiling.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I've heard some offensive stuff from people in all religious groups - the vast majority of people don't discuss their religion but sadly a minority insist on sharing their prehistoric views and get offended when you don't agree.
    The vast majority of KKK members have historically been heavily involved in their local churches.
  • Options
    I think the best course of action the club could take would be to sack KR
  • Options

Without knowing what ‘Baggy’ means, I d say it’s all fairly harmless

Yeah OK then kids help me out here what does baggy mean?
  • Options

I think the best course of action the club could take would be to sack KR

I say sack the football league and fa. Disgraceful they let players like this play in their competitions.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Does kind of emphasise a couple of things:

1. How important it is when managers say about getting the right characters in the dressing room.

2. How brutal the dressing room culture / day-to-day banter and bullying can be, and how it’s a survival of the fittest in that sense. you can see some young players don’t make the grade as personality wise they can struggle in that environment. Made me miss Sunday football though!!

This is why I never believe it when footballers say they'd have no problem with a gay team mate, it's nonsense. Fans wouldn't be the problem, footballers would be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be surprised if Kennedy or Magennis took offense. Doesn't stop it being massively dumb though.
  • Options
    I think fans would be a problem but the fact that there must be gay players who feel they cannot come out disgraces our sport. Fans, players, officials all have a responsibility here.
  • Options

No one knows the background/context, so everyone is pre judging without knowing the facts.

If Kennedy/Magennis were ok with it and saw it as usual banter, then whoever let it get in the press is stupid/action needs to be taken and that's about it.

If Kennedy/Magennis or any players were being bullied, then that's more serious and should be investigated and dealt with.

The issue is a group of Charlton players have filmed themselves saying racist stuff and it's now available for the world to view. This is not going to reflect well on the club and they need to acknowledge this.

It's irrelevant whether it is banter or not - it's bad PR for them and the club. It's naive of them to have done this and I hope they learn from it.

The Community Trust will lose any credibility if our players behave like this and that can't be tolerated.
    Which current charlton player said something racist??
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Without knowing what ‘Baggy’ means, I d say it’s all fairly harmless

Yeah OK then kids help me out here what does baggy mean?
    I think it was a reference to his mum’s Jack n Danny
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I hope @DaveMehmet doesn’t leak any text messages containing the names I call him.
  • Options

Professional footballers/athletes do not get absolutely shitfaced like that on a Saturday night or any night during the season. If they won the league in a canter and played most teams off the park last season I would not feel so judgemental. But the fact is they were mostly complete shit last season. If half the team were regularly getting into this state then it is hardly surprising that they got no where near promotion.

I think I am just as angry about this.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

And probably quite rightly take exception to having their mothers described as 'slags' by scum like Johnson.
  • Options

Professional footballers/athletes do not get absolutely shitfaced like that on a Saturday night or any night during the season. If they won the league in a canter and played most teams off the park last season I would not feel so judgemental. But the fact is they were mostly complete shit last season. If half the team were regularly getting into this state then it is hardly surprising that they got no where near promotion.

Seems like they not only played like a Sunday morning league outfit last season but they decided to adopt the laddish chavy culture as well.

I forgot footballers aren’t human beings who need to blow off steam but are robots that should only ever be in existence during training and match day.