Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players in racism storm (video in The Sun).....

Comments

• Options

some of the shit that goes on with WhatsApp and dressing room chat that I’ve been witness too (and sometimes involved in) would make a few people weep if the reaction on here is anything to go by.

Players like Chris Solly are up for taking the piss and receiving the piss, but they’d also be the first to defend players like Kennedy on a Saturday afternoon if it kicked off.

We seem to care more on here because it involves Charlton. I’m guessing 99% of the footballing world will be oblivious to all this or will even remember it in a weeks time.

I'm just surprised how clueless people are with the use of social media- especially public figures. Why create grief for yourself if you don't have to ?
    Whatsapp isn't Social Media...

Its a private messaging service between either two people or a group of friends, if one of those people leak something from Whatsapp then they're the prick

Isnt like Twitter or Facebook (which are Social Media) where when posted... EVERYONE can view it
    Some will argue Whatsapp is social media - it's subjective really. If you film stuff and share it and expect it to be kept private then you're being very naive especially if you're a public figure.

A bit of common sense is needed.
    How...? - Its just an a different version of the bog standard Messaging App that your phone automatically comes with
    As I mentioned above there's not really a simple answer to this. If you use the dictionary definition of social media:

'websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.'

Then whatsapp technically falls under that bracket.

No it doesn’t. You could say anything on the internet is social network then
    Sure, you probably could, and I am sure that is a line of thinking that has been discussed before. I am not arguing that it is or is not social media, just that if you want to read into it's not as clear cut as one would think. Just google what is social media, and there is a plethora of recent articles on the topic.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Didn't know about his injury.

That explains his absence although reading the article one gets the impression he didn't really want to come back to Charlton.
    Reckon thats more because he's fed up of U23 Football now
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    There are two potential problems with this - the first is did the victims take offense? If not that aspect is a non story. If yes - and it could well be - it is a very serious internal matter. If I was Robinson, I would be livid. The second is when you are a professional footballer, you are representing your club and whilst you shouldn't be prevented from having a laugh, you need to be careful this sort of thing doesn't get reported like this.

• Options

some of the shit that goes on with WhatsApp and dressing room chat that I’ve been witness too (and sometimes involved in) would make a few people weep if the reaction on here is anything to go by.

Players like Chris Solly are up for taking the piss and receiving the piss, but they’d also be the first to defend players like Kennedy on a Saturday afternoon if it kicked off.

We seem to care more on here because it involves Charlton. I’m guessing 99% of the footballing world will be oblivious to all this or will even remember it in a weeks time.

I'm just surprised how clueless people are with the use of social media- especially public figures. Why create grief for yourself if you don't have to ?
    Whatsapp isn't Social Media...

Its a private messaging service between either two people or a group of friends, if one of those people leak something from Whatsapp then they're the prick

Isnt like Twitter or Facebook (which are Social Media) where when posted... EVERYONE can view it
    Some will argue Whatsapp is social media - it's subjective really. If you film stuff and share it and expect it to be kept private then you're being very naive especially if you're a public figure.

A bit of common sense is needed.
    How...? - Its just an a different version of the bog standard Messaging App that your phone automatically comes with
    As I mentioned above there's not really a simple answer to this. If you use the dictionary definition of social media:

'websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.'

Then whatsapp technically falls under that bracket.

No it doesn’t. You could say anything on the internet is social network then
    There are numerous debates on whether whatsapp is social media or not and numerous definitions of social media. People have different opinions on this - it doesn't seem to be as black and white as people are making out. I don't really care tbh.

The main point here is don't film stuff if it could get you into trouble - this film is a case in point.
  • Options

The thing is this isn't just a bunch of mates, these are work colleagues.
    Imagine, this was happening at your work place, what do you think would happen?

Serious disciplinary action would be taken in many workplaces.
  • Options
    In all honesty I find burping into the camera and the feeling and smellling the beer breath more disturbing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Serious disciplinary action would be taken in many workplaces.
    I would expect to be sacked in a number of jobs - this would obviously depend on your contract.
  • Options

Whoever is arguing that WhatsApp is social media is wrong.

You need to have that persons number on your phone, it’s a private group. If one of those people decides to share the information on it then that’s their choice.

It’s like telling your mate something and he decides to tell someone else and then claiming your pal Keith is a form of social media.

I'm on 3 of my sons football team groups , there are loads of other parents on these groups whose numbers I don't have and yes it is dangerous, I sent a 'rude' video by mistake to the wrong group (before you could delete messages) and got an "inappropriate" message back from a mother who I didn't know and obviously the dads loved the bants , thankfully it was one of the tamer ones that i had been sent!
    WhatsApp is my preferred messaging app but it is not social media and should not be used as such.

Unfortunately as long as someone has your number they can add you without you knowing.

For example, saw a report of a girl being harassed on WhatsApp because her takeaway delivery driver used her number to start chatting with her.

And the next one made me particularly angry. Mrs Fiiish was sent a message on WhatsApp by her gym warning of closures due to the snow last week. However they did this by adding all their customers to one big group and sending a message. Meaning my wife's name and number could be seen by hundreds of strangers. Surely this is a data protection breach?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Ive been part of dressing rooms and I’ve been part of offices where you get groups and you become close. People not part of that group are still respected but you might not include them as your ‘mates’. You’d still go out your way for these people, help them or look out for them.

At Dartford we had around 4-5 black lads that were a great laugh but they didn’t get involved with the drinking culture some of us had, they popped in for a quick soft drink and left. Nothing ‘divisive’ about it as someone suggested earlier.

Just because these group of players ‘work’ together, they’re still mates. It’s mates banter, out of work hours. It’s not the same as abusing someone in your office from across the desk is it.
  • Options

It does though, this sort of thing would always of happened on our works nights out.

I think the problem here is that, because of technology, it gets put out into the public domain and telling people to permanently act like they're potentially being watched by 1000's of people (going viral), is gonna have a detrimental effect on us as a species in years to come imo
  • Options
    Simple fix.

Make it a criminal offence to share a video without a subject's consent.

You'd fix two problems:

1) people could be more free to be themselves without being filmed

2) no more inane videos going viral
  • Options
    But its out in the open now.
    What would happen if the club had another irish player who makes a complaint that his not happy working with people calling other irish pikey c@nts.
  • Options
    But it is sensible advice all the same!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Fiiish said:

You need to have that persons number on your phone, it’s a private group. If one of those people decides to share the information on it then that’s their choice.

It’s like telling your mate something and he decides to tell someone else and then claiming your pal Keith is a form of social media.

I'm on 3 of my sons football team groups , there are loads of other parents on these groups whose numbers I don't have and yes it is dangerous, I sent a 'rude' video by mistake to the wrong group (before you could delete messages) and got an "inappropriate" message back from a mother who I didn't know and obviously the dads loved the bants , thankfully it was one of the tamer ones that i had been sent!
    WhatsApp is my preferred messaging app but it is not social media and should not be used as such.

Unfortunately as long as someone has your number they can add you without you knowing.

For example, saw a report of a girl being harassed on WhatsApp because her takeaway delivery driver used her number to start chatting with her.

And the next one made me particularly angry. Mrs Fiiish was sent a message on WhatsApp by her gym warning of closures due to the snow last week. However they did this by adding all their customers to one big group and sending a message. Meaning my wife's name and number could be seen by hundreds of strangers. Surely this is a data protection breach?
    Should be but it probably isn't.

In my opinion Data Protection is all about enabling organisations to obfuscate rather than genuinely protecting the personal information of those who deal with those organisations.

Phone up on behalf of a vulnerable relative and they can't talk to you because of 'data protection.' Yet information can and is be passed to scammers and marketing people with impunity even when, as I always do, the opt out box is ticked.

Data Protection is a scam. Small businesses without the resources to research it thoroughly will be fined (nice little earner) yet scammers will still obtain the personal details supposedly protected.

Rant over.
  • Options
    Now we all know that Curbs and Powelly did extensive research into signing players for the club and always looked to sign the right characters both on and off the pitch. Now I look at some players who have come in under the ill fated Roland regime and take Roger 'The Todger' Johnson and both Alan and Chris would have said thanks but no thanks over RJ.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Yes, they should have blind copied and definitely should be apologising to her.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

It does though, this sort of thing would always of happened on our works nights out.

I think the problem here is that, because of technology, it gets put out into the public domain and telling people to permanently act like they're potentially being watched by 1000's of people (going viral), is gonna have a detrimental effect on us as a species in years to come imo
    Now this I do not agree with. Yes when I am in a whatsapp group with mates or at my house having a few beers, we can say utterly vile things towards each other. However when we are in a public place we are not acting like neanderthals and using the same sort of language as we know it has the potential to offend, and rightfully so, someone else.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I take it Kennedy and Magennis were not there - that makes it worse if so. What offensive thing you might say to a mate face to face in friendly jest is different if you do it behind his/her back.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    This is where our CEO has a role to play. Issue a statement, issue a new code for players, deal with any issues with current players.
    Oh wait...
  • Options
    Only just landed on this, forgive me for not reading back, I am too depressed to do so.
  • Options

So, it must be a WhatsApp group chat message thing, and the two players it was aimed at are sitting elsewhere watching it live?

@cantersaddick , did the guys give you this much shit the other week when you were a no show?

Stop trying to snake your way into our group!

To answer your question. Something similar occurred yes I'm sure Cnut was thrown out there.. And they all started dishing out flags which hurt me farr more.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Now we all know that Curbs and Powelly did extensive research into signing players for the club and always looked to sign the right characters both on and off the pitch. Now I look at some players who have come in under the ill fated Roland regime and take Roger 'The Todger' Johnson and both Alan and Chris would have said thanks but no thanks over RJ.

IF RJ is the one you have a problem with (he is the most vulgar) then you have a problem with your logic.

Phillips
    Fox
    Solly
    Lennon
    All were his team mates in the unders or have come from the academy and should all know better...

Holmes should know much better and looked embarrassed.

Personally I saw it as poor banter, but banter none the less.
  • Options

I take it Kennedy and Magennis were not there - that makes it worse if so. What offensive thing you might say to a mate face to face in friendly jest is different if you do it behind his/her back.

they were sending a whatsapp video message to Kennedy...

Mag wasn't directly insulted like Kennedy was but once again... It seems to be banter between mates.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

IF RJ is the one you have a problem with (he is the most vulgar) then you have a problem with your logic.

Phillips
    Fox
    Solly
    Lennon
    All were his team mates in the unders or have come from the academy and should all know better...

Holmes should know much better and looked embarrassed.

Personally I saw it as poor banter, but banter none the less.
    Arguably the point is that Johnson is nigh on 10 years older than the rest excepting Holmes.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Well I work with a bunch of snowflakes so they'd all be crying to HR. But previous groups of workmates have had similar sorts of relationships. Certainly calling people cnuts and insulting their mums was pretty common. We all knew it was a joke and no one took it too seriously. We were also careful not to let anything go too far or judge if someone was not in the right mood to take it. It all depends on your relationships with your workmates.
  • Options

Now this I do not agree with. Yes when I am in a whatsapp group with mates or at my house having a few beers, we can say utterly vile things towards each other. However when we are in a public place we are not acting like neanderthals and using the same sort of language as we know it has the potential to offend, and rightfully so, someone else.
    Why do people as you rightly say find it so hard to use a bit of common sense. This isn't about technology this is about people being stupid.

Some of this stuff can easily be avoided. If someone is filming without your knowledge that's another matter but in this case this bunch of idiots are not being bright.

You've got to look after yourself and not create unecessary problems. Most organisations don't want to get bad PR.