Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players in racism storm (video in The Sun).....

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018

As someone who hates the Sun newspaper I don't think that is the issue. I think it reflects badly on the comedy club Charlton Athletic and present and ex players in that video. And people wonder why gay players don't come out when 20th century banter lives and breaths. Is there any man on this thread who thinks calling a team mates mum a slag is acceptable ?

No idea how old you are or if it's just the mates i hang around with, but i'm pretty sure there's not a single one of our group who's not had one of their mum's abused (in piss taking terms) by the rest of the group. It's just standard banter growing up. No one ever took it too personally.
    It must be a generation thing then. In my youth mates mums got a bit of respect.
    In your day casual racism and homophobia was acceptable, so I’d say we’ve made a net gain from your day.
    To some it may have been but i cannot think of any circumstance where calling a mates mum a slag would have been even considered.
  • Options

I would have thought that for any professional sportsman to get so drunk is not a good idea as it can affect their performance (no double entendre intended).

I thought that professional athletes were supposed to be very careful with what they put into their bodies.

Really?
    Yes really. With all the sports science around now, what an athlete eats and drinks has greater importance than it used to.
  • Options
    Appreciate it was a year ago but it does raise the question for me of who leaked it and why now? Or have the sun been holding on to it for a quite news day.
    Be interesting to see if the club say anything proactively or it will just be a question in the press conference on Thursday. Embarrassing for the players involved and the timing isn't great after community award yesterday.
  • Options

Most of the old boys that seem to have a real problem with this grew up in an era of football where some players turned up to the games pissed. But then it was alright back then. I can imagine some of the terminology weren’t far of that used last year either. The good old days.

Have you seen footage of George Best, Jimmy Grieves and Bobby Moore playing when they were in their late 20s early 30s and compared it to footage when they were in their early 20s. These were players who regularly got shitfaced and it is why this old boy never regards those days as the good old days.
  • Options

. Is there any man on this thread who thinks calling a team mates mum a slag is acceptable ?

I would have said that calling out your mate’s mum is a perfectly acceptable thing to do!
  • Options
    Are people really losing their shit because of a throw-away "your mums a slag" comment? I've literally told my best ma

The thing is this isn't just a bunch of mates, these are work colleagues.
    Imagine, this was happening at your work place, what do you think would happen?

Absolutely nothing... I work with a Nigerian geezer who gets a lot worse stick
  • Options
    Just cought up with this thread.
    Wow just f@#$%%g wow
    That's me only contribution
  • Options
    I still think the players antics on the train to Newcastle was a lot worse than this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Professional footballers/athletes do not get absolutely shitfaced like that on a Saturday night or any night during the season.

Well you have just seen that they quite clearly do. I regret to say that you really do talk nonsense, but you're happier with such behaviour if they are winning games, but not so happy if they are not winning.

You couldn't make it up.
    And you never disappoint with the complete and always predictable bollocks you always feel the need to post.
    How many games a season do we need to win, for you to be less judgemental of such behaviour ?
    If we're challenging for the play off's is it okish, but if we're fighting relegation the behaviour is not ok ?
    We rarely come across each other because I think we frequent different threads. But when we do, rather than simply disagree with me you adopt a nasty sneering tone to which, against my better judgement, I always, regrettably, respond in kind.

On your last point....yes my anger at them getting shitfaced in the middle of the season would be greatly mitigated if they were playing well and won promotion. I paid £27 to watch a dismal performance at the Den the December before this incident (I think). If I thought the players had got this drunk any time during the previous week my anger would increase ten fold.
  • Options
    The most embarrassing here is the level of banter the players have.

Shit chat all round.
  • Options
    Mates take the piss out of each other and their mates Mum shocker. Ffs what a non story.

If you don’t take the piss out of your pals Mum then are they really your pal?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I can understand how people think that this would reflect badly on the club - but I don’t see too much wrong with it within the group itself.

It definitely falls under ‘banter’ as far as I can see. Alpha males ripping the piss out of each other after a few beers.

• Options
    I think the main issue here is who leaked it and why.

Must've come from within the club/players. So clearly someone wasn't happy with it and wanted it out in the public domain.
  • Options

I think the main issue here is who leaked it and why.

Must've come from within the club/players. So clearly someone wasn't happy with it and wanted it out in the public domain.

I don't suppose it might have been somone who's no longer at tbe club, and who felt badly treated?
  • Options

Professional footballers/athletes do not get absolutely shitfaced like that on a Saturday night or any night during the season.

Well you have just seen that they quite clearly do. I regret to say that you really do talk nonsense, but you're happier with such behaviour if they are winning games, but not so happy if they are not winning.

You couldn't make it up.
    And you never disappoint with the complete and always predictable bollocks you always feel the need to post.
    How many games a season do we need to win, for you to be less judgemental of such behaviour ?
    If we're challenging for the play off's is it okish, but if we're fighting relegation the behaviour is not ok ?
    We rarely come across each other because I think we frequent different threads. But when we do, rather than simply disagree with me you adopt a nasty sneering tone to which, against my better judgement, I always, regrettably, respond in kind.

On your last point....yes my anger at them getting shitfaced in the middle of the season would be greatly mitigated if they were playing well and won promotion. I paid £27 to watch a dismal performance at the Den the December before this incident (I think). If I thought the players had got this drunk any time during the previous week my anger would increase ten fold.
    Ok, we'll agree to disagree. Personally I feel their behaviour should be judged equally, whether they are winning games or losing them. Otherwise we are effectively saying this behaviour would be ok for Blackburn players but not Rochdale, which to me is a nonsense.
  • Options

Does everything that everyone does reflect badly on their employers?

If they were on a club trip somewhere and stole a cab (lol), or played up at the airport on the way back from an away game, fair enough, but this is a personal bit of banter that has been leaked ** Edit- and as far as I know, no one in the pub at the time made a complaint did they?**

Imo, it ain't got anything to do with the club and I don't think that 99.9% of the public in that boozer, or looking at the video online would even have a clue who them blokes were, unless if they weren't told but even then, I reckon a good 50% would say, who f**** Charlton?

You've never read a professional footballer's contract have you? (Or perhaps any contract of employment?)

But here's some exerts to help you get your brain in gear:

"knowingly or recklessly do write or say anything or omit to do anything which is likely to bring the Club or the game of football into disrepute cause the Player or the Club to be in breach of the Rules or cause damage to the Club or its officers or employees or any match official."

"except to the extent prevented by injury or illness to maintain a high standard of physical fitness at all times and not to indulge in any activity sport or practice which might endanger such fitness or inhibit his mental or physical ability to play practise or train".

are the types of phrases that might give you a clue as to what a player's responsibilities include.

Not only that but any agent worth his salt should be drumming into his numbskull employer's feeble brain that it is really, really important not to do anything to jeopardise your contract. (Remember Mutu?) If you were a not very good central defender, a knackered right back that would have been shot if he was a horse or a junior dispensible goalkeeper then this behaviour is foolish in the extreme.

I'd expect final written warnings to be handed down together with the regular fine though, rather that instant dismissal for gross misconduct but we'll see.
  • Options
    Footballers in pissed up, going to far shocker.

Personally I don’t think this incident is that big a deal. But, can see why some people do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think fines should be the order of the day as long as Kennedy and Magennis were not upset by it. I think the club should issue a statement to that effect to help diffuse matters if that is the case - something like - whilst we don't excuse the language etc... we are satisfied this was misguided banter between friends etc... If Kennedy or Magennis were insulted and/or upset I think more serious punishment is called for as it is harassment and bullying which can't be accepted in any workplace. Oh for the good old days when it was!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

You couldn't make it up.
    We didn’t have a game for between 2/1 and 14/1. Players would definitely have been allowed to go out and have a booze during this time.
    My issue is with the 34 year old yes 34 year old scumbag Johnson insulting the mother of a young player barely out of his teens. That is bullying in my book.

Now I know that in our diverse society the traditional family is regarded as worthy of attack and perhaps undermining the natural respect towards parents in the name of so called 'banter' has become part of that.

All I know, and you can piss yourselves laughing at this for all I care, is that I addressed my friends' parents as Mr and Mrs until such time as some of them said to me in my twenties something along the lines of 'you are old enough to call us Wilf and Joan now.'

There was absolutely no way, drunk or sober, any of us would say something so rude about another's parent or parents.

Old fashioned, prudish that might be your view. I call it manners and respect.

Len I do think you are missing the point a bit. It is nothing to do with the traditional family being ridiculed at all-it is just lads being lads and nothing personal would be meant by it at all.

I make rude and inappropriate comments about my colleague’s Mum and i’m 38 (i’m not growing up anytime soon). He is 29 and does exactly the same about my Mum and occasionally my Dad as well.

Do either of us know each other’s parents? Nope, of course we don’t therefore it means nothing other than getting an occasional cheap laugh to lighten the boredom of working in an office. I’ve met his Dad a couple of times and obviously treated him with complete respect as I do the majority of human beings I meet and he would be exactly the same with mine and not look to see through any of the suggestions he has made particularly where my Mum is concerned as that would be just awkward.

My group of friends outside of work do the same and I remember doing the same with other peer groups in my teens. Did we go for dinner at each other’s houses and shout slag at our mate’s Mum? No we were perfectly courteous Grammar school boys and always polite and friendly.

And it’s only possibly bullying if you’re giving it to a person who it bothers and makes them feel uncomfortable. Looking at Mikhail Kennedy’s Twitter i’m willing to wager that he is fair game and gives as good as he gets.
  • Options

I think fines should be the order of the day as long as Kennedy and Magennis were not upset by it. I think the club should issue a statement to that effect to help diffuse matters if that is the case - something like - whilst we don't excuse the language etc... we are satisfied this was misguided banter between friends etc... If Kennedy or Magennis were insulted and/or upset I think more serious punishment is called for as it is harassment and bullying which can't be accepted in any workplace. Oh for the good old days when it was!

If Kennedy and Magennis were offended, it's unlikely that they would admit to it, as they're still playing with some of the players.
  • Options

Most of the old boys that seem to have a real problem with this grew up in an era of football where some players turned up to the games pissed. But then it was alright back then. I can imagine some of the terminology weren’t far of that used last year either. The good old days.

Have you seen footage of George Best, Jimmy Grieves and Bobby Moore playing when they were in their late 20s early 30s and compared it to footage when they were in their early 20s. These were players who regularly got shitfaced and it is why this old boy never regards those days as the good old days.
    The big difference now is social media, what’s app Instagram etc, etc - one misdemeanour and its out in the public domain an hour later.
  • Options

If Kennedy and Magennis were offended, it's unlikely that they would admit to it, as they're still playing with some of the players.
    Actions can speak louder than words sometimes.
  • Options
    Apparently there’s also a post banter video going round of all the players going on a drunken rampage and abusing any kittens and ponies they encountered.
  • Options

No one knows the background/context, so everyone is pre judging without knowing the facts.

If Kennedy/Magennis were ok with it and saw it as usual banter, then whoever let it get in the press is stupid/action needs to be taken and that's about it.

If Kennedy/Magennis or any players were being bullied, then that's more serious and should be investigated and dealt with.

Seriously doubt anyone is bullying Magennis!
  • Options

Professional footballers/athletes do not get absolutely shitfaced like that on a Saturday night or any night during the season. If they won the league in a canter and played most teams off the park last season I would not feel so judgemental. But the fact is they were mostly complete shit last season. If half the team were regularly getting into this state then it is hardly surprising that they got no where near promotion.

Seems like they not only played like a Sunday morning league outfit last season but they decided to adopt the laddish chavy culture as well.

Really?! I'd say that plenty do exactly that on a night after a game, especially British players.