Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players in racism storm (video in The Sun).....

Comments

• Options

Solly, Lennon and Phillips all the hangers on in today’s squad. Not good enough!! and after seeing that not fit to wear a charlton shirt. We are not Millwall!!! It’s About time the fucking banter and jokes stopped from the camp gone on for too long - get some fucking results instead

‘We are not Millwall!!!’

Just wow.
  • Options

I find it embarrassing without the racial undertones that you'd be calling each other c***s on a night out and calling someone's mother a slag. That's bad enough for me. Put's the Club in a very bad light and can't see why anyone would consider it a non story. Footballers are as thick as a brick. Personally think it's shocking behaviour but I'm not surprised.

So is it shocking or not surprising? How can it be both?
  • Options
    PWR but what does baggy mean??
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

We youth use it as an abbreviation of douche bag, yes we do
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

We youth use it as an abbreviation of douche bag, yes we do
    Roland
  • Options

These blokes are not just a bunch of mates having a bit of "banter" between themselves on a Sunday League team. They are pro footballers and that comes with responsibility, everything you do in public represents the football club and everyone else associated with it.

That's leaving to one side the fact that it's absolutely sh*t banter in the first place.

Baggy post
  • Options

These blokes are not just a bunch of mates having a bit of "banter" between themselves on a Sunday League team. They are pro footballers and that comes with responsibility, everything you do in public represents the football club and everyone else associated with it.

That's leaving to one side the fact that it's absolutely sh*t banter in the first place.

Baggy post
    Baggy poster. :-)
  • Options

As someone who hates the Sun newspaper I don't think that is the issue. I think it reflects badly on the comedy club Charlton Athletic and present and ex players in that video. And people wonder why gay players don't come out when 20th century banter lives and breaths. Is there any man on this thread who thinks calling a team mates mum a slag is acceptable ?

No idea how old you are or if it's just the mates i hang around with, but i'm pretty sure there's not a single one of our group who's not had one of their mum's abused (in piss taking terms) by the rest of the group. It's just standard banter growing up. No one ever took it too personally.
    It must be a generation thing then. In my youth mates mums got a bit of respect.
    In your day casual racism and homophobia was acceptable, so I’d say we’ve made a net gain from your day.
    Watching the film it would be hard to argue that casual racism has died out and as far as I'm aware homophobia is still alive and kicking. The main difference these days is that stuff gets filmed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And they went back and signed him again...
  • Options
    How many of those who have posted have sang songs that could be deamed as racist ie “You Belgium w******s get out of our club” or “Katrien is a s*****r” ?? How many have been out with mates and got steaming and had banter with their mates ?
    Who actually released the video as it was over a year ago, and why now?
    I am sure if it was an issue to the Irish boys they would have sorted it out internally, social media and political correctness is a pain in the arse
  • Options
    edited March 2018

How many of those who have posted have sang songs that could be deamed as racist ie “You Belgium w******s get out of our club” or “Katrien is a s*****r” ?? How many have been out with mates and got steaming and had banter with their mates ?
    I am sure if it was an issue to the Irish boys they would have sorted it out internally, social media and political correctness is a pain in the arse

How many of us are professional footballers in the spotlight who if something like that got out would make a national newspapers' website.....?

I'll make no secret of the fact that I'm not far left, and that political correctness does my head in endlessly. That said, I still can't help but feel pretty embarrassed that our players come across like absolute chavvy pratts.
  • Options

In fairness the fella admits he is no longer a fat c*** , thereby implying he previously was

Johnson will probably want to claim credit for inventing the 'Roger Johnson Diet'.
    Or more accurately 'The f*cking Roger f*cking top c*nt Johnson f*cking sh*t hot like your mum Diet'
  • Options
    seth plum said:

In fairness the fella admits he is no longer a fat c*** , thereby implying he previously was

Johnson will probably want to claim credit for inventing the 'Roger Johnson Diet'.
    Or more accurately 'The f*cking Roger f*cking top c*nt Johnson f*cking sh*t hot like your mum Diet'
    Starting that on Monday as I ain't shifting much on this Slimmers World one
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Starting that on Monday as I ain't shifting much on this Slimmers World one
  • Options
    I wonder if the FA might act?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

How many of us are professional footballers in the spotlight who if something like that got out would make a national newspapers' website.....?

I'll make no secret of the fact that I'm not far left, and that political correctness does my head in endlessly. That said, I still can't help but feel pretty embarrassed that our players come across like absolute chavvy pratts.
    And the Sun is a whiter than white newspaper,blokes having a laugh with their mates. Footballers are the same as any of us and have the right to go out and enjoy themselves, it wasn’t posted on social media, it was in a closed group so my concern would be that of who has sent it to the press.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

And the Sun is a whiter than white newspaper,blokes having a laugh with their mates. Footballers are the same as any of us and have the right to go out and enjoy themselves, it wasn’t posted on social media, it was in a closed group so my concern would be that of who has sent it to the press.
    The Sun's credibility has nothing to do with this - they haven't tricked anyone here as far as I'm aware.

It is interesting though that someone thought they would leak this, there must have been some sort of motive behind it
  • Options

Baggy post
    Baggy poster. :-)
    Baggy Trousers :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJOLwy7un3U
  • Options
    The video is somewhat pathetic and embarrassing. However, out of context I don’t really know if it is abuse or “banter”. From what I have read here the Irish boys are still close to a number of those video’d which suggests the latter.

What I do find disappointing is that players who are well paid cannot act with more professionalism, especially during the football season. These guys are getting north of £100K a year to run around a little in training then play footy in front of 6-10,000 fans- it is not a hard life and certain standards should be required IMO, getting pissed mid season is a disappointment notwithstanding any language/banter/abuse.

I genuinely don’t see this happening under a Powell/Curbs type manager, Our current man is a throw back ballshiter himself so it is less surprising.

What I will say, and maybe deserves its own thread is the increasing desire by younger generations to video everything. I went out with work on a do last year and people started to play a lame game of truth or dare and I was genuinely amazed at all the 18-20 year olds reaching for their phone for every non event dare. I left early and have essentially decided I will not go out again on a whole team event as I have no desire to be part of that culture.
  • Options

And they went back and signed him again...

By "they" I think you mean Katrien...
  • Options
    Whether malicious or not, this is not good for the mentally of the current players involved. They must feel hugely embarrassed today.

Most of us have surely been on a night out and thought the next morning "oh God what was that nonsense I posted/texted on my phone last night whilst slaughtered".

• Options
    You got her number Ormo?