Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football is now a farce

Comments

• Options
    Plus nobody thinks a striker whose left knee is 3mm ahead is a good offside decision.
    If a camera can't determine the answer within a few seconds it's too close to call.
    Bring back daylight and everyone will know where they stand imo
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Ultimately it will be the fans who decide whether they want this or not. Having four or five two/three minute stoppages in a game while they sort out offsides and fouls, etc is not what I would call entertainment. Especially as the fans in the stadium are not included in the process. They just sit there and wait for the outcome however long it takes.The product of football is in danger of destroying itself whilst striving to find perfection.

The exciting end to end element of the game will suffer and could even disappear as officials are too embroiled in trying to sort out whether there was an offside, handball, dive or foul at the opposite end and stopping the game while a team makes a quick counter attack.

Maybe I am missing something but if it's rolled out across the board then I will find something else to do with my free time.

Since when do the Footballing authorities care what the fans think when it comes to the rules of the game... We're nothing more than a cash cow
  • Options

E-cafc said:

Ultimately it will be the fans who decide whether they want this or not. Having four or five two/three minute stoppages in a game while they sort out offsides and fouls, etc is not what I would call entertainment. Especially as the fans in the stadium are not included in the process. They just sit there and wait for the outcome however long it takes.The product of football is in danger of destroying itself whilst striving to find perfection.

The exciting end to end element of the game will suffer and could even disappear as officials are too embroiled in trying to sort out whether there was an offside, handball, dive or foul at the opposite end and stopping the game while a team makes a quick counter attack.

Maybe I am missing something but if it's rolled out across the board then I will find something else to do with my free time.

Since when do the Footballing authorities care what the fans think when it comes to the rules of the game... We're nothing more than a cash cow
    The TV money is the cash cow now, you only have to look at the movement of kick off times to see that.
  • Options
    Stopping the clock with a break for adverts after all goals would make the process less obtrusive?
  • Options

How about the Rochdale v Millwall game?
    Played on a pitch that was fucking awful.
    Tottenham complain, and the pitch gets relayed
    Still let's make sure the lovely boys don't have their day ruined.

the pitch was paid for by prize money from winning previous round and the TV money for this game.
  • Options
    One of my biggest gripes with the whole thing is that offsides can be overturned, fair enough. But by the same token if a player is put through and incorrectly given offside and stops when through on goal then they are shit out of luck. I'm sure people will say that he should score then wait for the decision but how long does the ref give him to score it?
  • Options

E-cafc said:

The TV money is the cash cow now, you only have to look at the movement of kick off times to see that.
    No I'd say we're still the cash cow to an extent with the TV Companies being the ones that control the rules actually... Like you say, the TV Companies know they can still move games (Saturday @ 7:45pm being the latest case) yet fans will still buy the tickets to attend
  • Options

One of my biggest gripes with the whole thing is that offsides can be overturned, fair enough. But by the same token if a player is put through and incorrectly given offside and stops when through on goal then they are shit out of luck. I'm sure people will say that he should score then wait for the decision but how long does the ref give him to score it?

Logically I'd say it should be refereed similarly to waiting to see 'advantage' from a free kick?

I don't like it at all personally.
  • Options

Plus nobody thinks a striker whose left knee is 3mm ahead is a good offside decision.
    If a camera can't determine the answer within a few seconds it's too close to call.

Bring back the old offside law and that would too.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

These twats on Match of The Day are annoying me.

Moaning that the correct decision was made because it slowed the game down.

But the correct decision was made, surely thats the best thing for football,

That said that a delay took the players out of rhythm but is it any longer than a player getting treatment or a club taking ages to make a sub

IT WAS NOT THE CORRECT DECISION!
    Matta was on-side.
    It was actually correct by the letter of the law.

The law states if any part of the players body is offside then the player is offside
    No it wasn't! The letter of the law gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. That is FIFA Law. There is no way the evidence shown on MOTD can prove anything else.
    No it doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

How about the Rochdale v Millwall game?
    Played on a pitch that was fucking awful.
    Tottenham complain, and the pitch gets relayed
    Still let's make sure the lovely boys don't have their day ruined.

the pitch was paid for by prize money from winning previous round and the TV money for this game.
    And there was no pressure on Rochdale to get it resurfaced?
    If you was bottom of league one would you want to spunk whatever money you had on a new pitch mid season?
  • Options
    They have only played 28 league games as multiple postponements so needed to get it done.
    As they have stated, a good pitch helps the way they play.
  • Options

The old off-side law was a joke. People who don't understand the modern law are just thick.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The old off-side law was a joke. People who don't understand the modern law are just thick.
    Are they...Can you explain when phase one ends and phase two begins. What was bad about the old one. People who say it was a joke are just plain stupid.
  • Options

Will that encourage the linesman referees assistant not to give them when VAR is available so as to stop the above happening
  • Options

Will that encourage the linesman referees assistant not to give them when VAR is available so as to stop the above happening
    Much like how umpires barely ever give no balls in cricket now as they have a failsafe, it just lowers the standard of refereeing
  • Options
    More carnage tonight Spurs v rochdale
  • Options
    I never knew a foul could be committed when taking a penalty.
  • Options
    It’s a joke. Champs League already ditched it, hopefully the rest will follow
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I could understand if the penalty was retaken because there were about a dozen players in the box when the ball hit the net because son stopped. The only ref before to do that was Keith Stroud !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

Your not allowed to run up in stages, i.e. it has to be a continuous run when taking a penalty.

Apparently Son stopped his run up half way to try and feint the Goalkeeper yet the above was brought in a good few years agk after nearly ever penalty taker started to do that.
  • Options
    Very entertaining game and full marks to Rochdale, but surely they have to find a way to both reduce the time to take VAR decisions and even more importantly let the crowd know what's going on or the whole thing is a nonsense.
  • Options
    Disallowed goal was a strange one. If anything Llorente was fouled yet despite having a replay they deemed it a foul on the Rochdale player.
  • Options

wish they would enforce that rule more often. nearly every penalty that Ronaldo has ever taken he runs in stages.
  • Options

wish they would enforce that rule more often. nearly every penalty that Ronaldo has ever taken he runs in stages.

As someone commented on the BBC site

A Goalkeeper isnt allowed to move yet the Attacker can perform Swan Lake prior to kicking the ball!!
  • Options
    The ref decided the invalid penalty not VAR.
  • Options
    game has been ruined by spurs now
  • Options
    The VAR usage in the Australian A league has been nothing short of disastrous.

One game had a yellow card shown to a Dutch midfield player for an old fashioned rake up the calf muscle, late tackle from behind - clear yellow card, which was delivered.

The game restarted and the ref's buzzer went and off he goes to the TV pitch side, where it becomes obvious that the VAR in the stands thought that it should be a red card, which was then duly delivered to outrage all round.

Later in the same game, the same teams winger stopped a counter attack with a cynical trip, and exactly the same thing happened again! Yellow card, followed by the VAR intervening and the ref tottering over to the little screen and reversing his decision to a red card.

There are a few things happening here, firstly it totally messes up the flow of the game - making it much more like Rugby League, where players seemingly spend hours waiting for decisions.

Secondly the ref on the pitch may be junior in rank to the VAR official, so will feel inclined to have to agree with his decision. Also those TV screens on the side of the pitch are small and boxy, so naturally the ref is going to feel like those upstairs have a better view then him.

I like the Goal-Line technology, but having seen it this year, I am convinced that VAR is not suited to football. As others have said on here, football is a difficult game because there is a lot of interpretations of the rules - dangerous play, handball, shoulder play, violent conduct, when to play the advantage etc being just a few of them.

What one ref may constitute as a deliberate handball, another may totally disagree with, which makes VAR very hard to manage.
  • Options
    First half had 6 extra minutes. Was someone carried off.