Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football is now a farce

Comments

• Options
    Second half Liverpool got a corner ,maybe two , that should have been goal kicks .
    If they’d scored from the resulting, wrongfully given , corner then to me why have VAR if you’re not gonna use it all the time , how important is an important decision . To me that was a quick one to get “right” for the 4th official but wasn’t used .

• Options
    I think the heart of the argument is weather justice must prevail in a game of football or not.
    In my opinion justice should stay well away from the game otherwise we'll never see the end of it with many examples already sighted. So what...?
    So a team park the bus, scores a lucky goal, have a player sent off for stopping a certain goal with his hand (resulting penalty missed) on and on...
    Injustice !!!
    But the alternative is sanitation with the introduction of countless new rules resembling work's policies and procedures manual to the point when the game really will become '22 people chasing after a bit of leather'...
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Isnt a decision in any sport right or wrong?
    And surely the point of VAR (as it is in Cricket with DRS) is to try to get as many right decisions as possible?
    How we would have loved to have VAR when Lampards shot was over the line v Germany in the WC?

As long as they pulled the plug out for Geoff Hursts second goal in 1966....
    We would have still won.
    As far as I'm concerned it was two yards over the line, just none of the cameras were inthe right place to confirm it.

We would have won anyway, because if it had been drawn it would have gone to a replay. On the other hand,if penalty shoot outs had been around the time.......
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:
    And he'd FU%%ING KNOW WOULDN'T HE!
    The biggest twat when it comes to pulling up people on urban myths and shitting from a great height on any generally accepted piece of music folklore. Two faced, sanctimonious, obsequious wanker.
    He keeps telling us he is emigrating to the USA. FFS GO!
    You dont like him then, Riv ?
  • Options
    Open the comms between the onfield ref and the VAR team, and stuff on the screen, and a lot of complaints are gone.

One issue, Is that there are still Premier League grounds without screens, Anfield being one, so there would have been some confusion last night
  • Options
    is VAR only for the Prem ? if not how far down the leagues does it go ? early days but its shit
  • Options
    They probably thought that when Keith Peacock came on as the first ever sub
  • Options

And surely the point of VAR (as it is in Cricket with DRS) is to try to get as many right decisions as possible?
    How we would have loved to have VAR when Lampards shot was over the line v Germany in the WC?

As if we would have gone onto win that lol. We got spanked.
  • Options
    I think the ref could be safely equipped with a smart mobile phone device that streams the game for replays. If he's unsure he can just look at the device. VARs can still be about.

Might make things quicker?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I disagree with Pardew that the time delay causes injuries

When a player gets injured and gets treatmeant, that can take a few minutes at times, there is no difference

You had me at "I disagree with Pardew."

@DaveStorry why is this a flag??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

As if we would have gone onto win that lol. We got spanked.
    ffs
  • Options
    I think the easiest way to get a bit of clarity would be for each side to have X number of reviews available, and the captain calls them - like in cricket, once youve used them then they're gone.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    What I didn't get was why the ref indicated the penalty was under review and then immediately pointed to the penalty spot but straight after the review had already happened.

In cricket the umpire makes the immediate signal to show a decision is under review that way everyone knows what's going on.

That was half the issue, nobody knew what was going on.

But if you at least make the signal that it's under review and then take 2 minutes to get the decision right everyone at least knows what's going on.

Once under review another qualified ref should have the power and authority to make the decision even if 200 miles away and then relay the decision back to the on field referee who can then point to the penalty spot.

It's definitely the way forward it's just the execution of the process needs improving which it will as it's early days. Learn from cricket, make the process quicker and smoother and soon nobody will question the process whatsoever.
  • Options

I like the cricket and tennis review / challenges but this is shit
    I mean there’s no better feeling of a mental loop voguing and body popping around with a load of strangers as the ball hits the net , now with the waiting around bit it takes a bit of it away
    Fair enough there was a hand on for Liverpool penalty but that was a dive as well and I believe it will encourage over reactions from a touch once people see the way that went

Over time I’m sure it will improve but at what cost .

Let’s be clear these decisions went against Pardew and Weegie and myself hate the palace prick but if you’re watching this and don’t feel a bit weird about it all then I can tell you you’ve missed out on what the game in real time feels like as a fan .
    It’s hard to put in to words but it just doesn’t feel right , hopefully it will one day .

Agree Liverpool player went down like a sack of shit, a little pull and he goes down like he was shot.
  • Options

is VAR only for the Prem ? if not how far down the leagues does it go ? early days but its shit

Probably be like Goal Line Technology where its introduced solely in the Premier League and then after a few years potentially introduced into the Championship and so forth

Its probably the other issue everyone will have... Football has always been a pure game that can be played from the highest level down to the lowest with no differences other than skill - With the technology coming into play at certain levels its going to make it that little more elitest which is a shame.

It has to be done though as the money involved and damage a wrong decision can do to a team can be such a problem now
  • Options

86 comments about VaR and 0 about what an enjoyable cup tie it was.

Says it all really.

Says it all really.

Because it’s a thread specificically about VAR.
    Except it's not - it's about enjoyment of the game as a fan if you read my opening post. VAR detracted from that last night for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Says it all really.

Says it all really.

Because it’s a thread specificically about VAR.
    Except it's not - it's about enjoyment of the game as a fan if you read my opening post. VAR detracted from that last night for me.
    How many times was VAR used in all FA cup games this weekend? 1 in 12 by the looks of it so its not as if technology is taking over or reducing referees to automatons. Football is not a farce. It’s just keeping up with the times and the technology has been there for years and is only being introduced now.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2018

I think the easiest way to get a bit of clarity would be for each side to have X number of reviews available, and the captain calls them - like in cricket, once youve used them then they're gone.

A good idea, a bit similar to tennis, where only a small number of challenges are allowed. The VAR should only be used sparingly for key decisions imo. Rugby, cricket & tennis have more natural breaks in play.

I watched the Liverpool game & the decisions were correct but a bit clunky. Reminded me when a referee reversed his decision in a Charlton game, after giving a goal. I think it was in the Championship a few seasons back. Forget who it was against.

Saleh made a meal of the challenge but the decision was correct. The reviews should become smoother & quicker with use. Main thing is that every goal mouth incident doesn’t end up being reviewed as that undermines the referee being responsible for the decision & would disrupt the flow of the game.
  • Options
    The then club statistician, when substitutes were introduced, didn't agree with the concept so didn't record subs and substitutions.

• Options
    Of course we'll get use to it...
    we'll get use to anything.
    Even Trump.
    Just look at the champions league and how we got used to watching Messi vs Ronaldo every 2nd week...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

Says it all really.

So VAR didn't stop it being enjoyable then. People are only talking about because it is new. That will settle down. I'd like to change it a bit. I'd give each team an appeal per game with restrictions on its use. That would be for decisions that affect a goal or goal scoring chance, sending off, and penalties. I'd give each team one use and if used incorrectly it is lost. I would also remove the use for the next game if there are 3 wrong uses in the last 5 games. I think this would ensure it isn't overused.
  • Options

Says it all really.

So VAR didn't stop it being enjoyable then. People are only talking about because it is new. That will settle down. I'd like to change it a bit. I'd give each team an appeal per game with restrictions on its use. That would be for decisions that affect a goal or goal scoring chance, sending off, and penalties. I'd give each team one use and if used incorrectly it is lost. I would also remove the use for the next game if there are 3 wrong uses in the last 5 games. I think this would ensure it isn't overused.
    Reads more like a social security form than a footbal game and its only the start...
  • Options
    I think people misunderstood what I meant, obviously I don’t want to come out of a game talking about the ref having a shocker, what I was referring to was how subjective most of the decisions are in football and that watching them over and over again still doesn’t provide a definite answer.

Take the Chelsea vs Bournemouth game a couple of weeks ago as an example, Bournemouth had 2 penalty decisions turned down, I was watching with 2 mates, one though both were pens, I thought 1 was and 1 wasn’t and my other mate didn’t think either were. The boys in the studio also argued about whether they were or not.
  • Options
    But they've already addressed that, VAR isn't for making subjective decisions, it's for overturning clearly wrong ones. Now you can argue the Liverpool penalty was subjective, but the decision was made by the referee, he clearly thought something had happened and wanted a better look. We shouldn't be condemning an official for deciding to use the technology rather than give (or dismiss) the penalty shout based on incomplete information.

Clearly the system needs speeding up, but that will only happen through usage and feedback in real world conditions. All this hyperbole after the first weeks of a brand new system is ridiculous. I'd far rather a flawed system that we know will improve rapidly, than the existing flawed system that has successfully defeated every attempt to improve it over decades of trying.
  • Options

I don't . I want to be home by 9pm on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Do away with refs and just have VAR, job done.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Silva.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Now we have a perfectly good goal scored by Man City and no VAR to correct the linesman. The linesman has assumed that the player in front of the keeper is interfering in an offside position with play yet the keeper has reacted to the direction of the ball. Football is a farce without the technology to resolve these issues.
  • Options
    Perfect example of why VAR is needed, if the technology is available and it clearly improves the game why not use it? Nothing last forever if it isn’t modernised.