Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football is now a farce

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Solidgone said:

I thought it would take away all the moaning but after reading this it reaffirms folk love to moan.

This. I'm actually not hugely in favor of VAR because as it stands I find the moaning about referees on the Prem unbearable, and I fear the whinging about VAR will be even worse.
    Whats ironic is the argument that Referees have constantly got decisions wrong and that VAR is needed to help them.

Since VAR has been introduced its simply confirmed that the majority of decisions made by refs are actually correct and are just using VAR to confirm that
  • Options
    They need to use the big screen in some way to keep the public informed. At Test matches, it's quite interesting when you can see hotspot and snicko on the big screen, as you can see the evidence yourself
  • Options

Isnt a decision in any sport right or wrong?
    And surely the point of VAR (as it is in Cricket with DRS) is to try to get as many right decisions as possible?
    How we would have loved to have VAR when Lampards shot was over the line v Germany in the WC?

As long as they pulled the plug out for Geoff Hursts second goal in 1966....
  • Options
    VAR needs to be instigated by captains rather than ref. Like cricket, lose review, lose referral.
  • Options
    I’ve always regarded dodgy decisions as something that broadly even themselves out over the season (an d fashioned view, I know) but the ref in the first half of Liverpool v West Brom has royally pissed me off.

I fear it will become it charter for players to surround the referee at every opportunity and hound the poor bastard.

Would like to comment on the ref’s performance in the second half but the pub has suddenly turned into a disco and Karaoke with a very flat singer called Martin singing a song I don’t know butI think was called ‘this Love Was True’.

Very much like ‘Phoenix Nights’ - but funnier !
  • Options
    I think rugby refs sometimes over-rely on video replay and the game loses its flow and intensity with repeated long pauses. Why not allow each team limited challenges... two in each half?
  • Options

They need to use the big screen in some way to keep the public informed. At Test matches, it's quite interesting when you can see hotspot and snicko on the big screen, as you can see the evidence yourself

FIFA have confirmed that VAR will be used in the world cup and will be shown on the big screen at every game.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Blucher said:

I’ve always regarded dodgy decisions as something that broadly even themselves out over the season (an d fashioned view, I know) but the ref in the first half of Liverpool v West Brom has royally pissed me off.

I fear it will become it charter for players to surround the referee at every opportunity and hound the poor bastard.

Would like to comment on the ref’s performance in the second half but the pub has suddenly turned into a disco and Karaoke with a very flat singer called Martin singing a song I don’t know butI think was called ‘this Love Was True’.

Except if you use the Lampard England v Germany analogy , we were sent packing out of the tourno.
  • Options
    It HAS to be about getting the right decision made - however thats done. I think that Cricket has it spot on now with 2 DRS reviews, and if you use them incorrectly then bad luck you've lost them !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would let managers of each team refer to VAR if they are right then all is good and the decision is changed. If the original decision is deemed correct then they lose one of their substitutes.
  • Options
    They need a central HQ where decisions are made instantly. Like the NFL.
  • Options

Blucher said:

Except if you use the Lampard England v Germany analogy , we were sent packing out of the tourno.
    Hard to imagine we would have won that game, Germany were much better than us

And nobody is arguing against goal line technology, as that's factual and doesn't require a long pause
  • Options
    I'm all for it when watching on telly, adds to the drama. As for a fan at a match I think it ruins the moment.

Luckily I'm a Charlton fan and don't need to worry about the premier league / f.a cup 4th round.
  • Options

Blucher said:

Hard to imagine we would have won that game, Germany were much better than us

And nobody is arguing against goal line technology, as that's factual and doesn't require a long pause
    Thats always the kop out though KAF, it that goal had stood, then the ascendancy would have been with us - and the Germans under pressure - who knows what would have happened?
  • Options

Blucher said:

Well, the other three goals they scored and their total dominance pretty much did that. No amount of video technology closes the gaping holes between Upson and John Terry, let alone gives Gareth Barry (or really any England player in that team) any pace.

And again, that's goal line technology not VAR.
  • Options
    Lampard one was just levelling up for Hursts second in 1966
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Well, the other three goals they scored and their total dominance pretty much did that. No amount of video technology closes the gaping holes between Upson and John Terry, let alone gives Gareth Barry (or really any England player in that team) any pace.

But you just dont know that. If the goal had stood, it would have been 2-2. Comparing players is irrelevant - look at Wigan v West Ham or Newport v Spurs today - you just dont know what would have happened. An incorrect decision was made that *could* have been crucial in the context of the game - certainly at the time Englnad were the better team, and that decision seemed to take all the steam out of them.
    As i keep saying, its about getting as many correct decisions as possible - yet people seem to be content to letting incorrect decisions go simply to allow the game to flow - thats rubbish.
  • Options

And surely the point of VAR (as it is in Cricket with DRS) is to try to get as many right decisions as possible?
    How we would have loved to have VAR when Lampards shot was over the line v Germany in the WC?

We would have still won.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

We would have still won.
    Would Germany have pushed up that much in the 120th minute at 2-2 rather than 2-3
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

But you just dont know that. If the goal had stood, it would have been 2-2. Comparing players is irrelevant - look at Wigan v West Ham or Newport v Spurs today - you just dont know what would have happened. An incorrect decision was made that *could* have been crucial in the context of the game - certainly at the time Englnad were the better team, and that decision seemed to take all the steam out of them.
    As i keep saying, its about getting as many correct decisions as possible - yet people seem to be content to letting incorrect decisions go simply to allow the game to flow - thats rubbish.
    Okay, I see your larger point and I agree the more decision you can get right, the better by and large.
  • Options
    Tonight’s game is a terrible advert for VAR .
    The game must had stopped for over 5 minutes in the first half and it totally killed any spontaneity.
    The fans in the ground didn’t have a clue what was happening either .
    I would just use it for penalty decisions or mistaken identity only . To stop to check to see if a goal is offside is ridiculous.
    I hate it.
  • Options

THIS. The crowd at this evenings game had no idea what was going on. Us at home knew but the paying public & those who make the atmosphere inside the ground hadn't got a clue. Get them engaged too. It might mean more & bigger screens at all grounds but then that should be paid for by the PL, EFL, FA.
  • Options

THIS. The crowd at this evenings game had no idea what was going on. Us at home knew but the paying public & those who make the atmosphere inside the ground hadn't got a clue. Get them engaged too. It might mean more & bigger screens at all grounds but then that should be paid for by the PL, EFL, FA.
    I agree, though I imagine there will be some logistical difficulties.

Also, ideally they'd start with proper pitches ffs, but obviously the two are not mutually exclusive, though neither will happen.
  • Options
    SD, what do they do in the States?
  • Options
    Cricket has not got it sorted. It won't be until the game uses one uniform system. There are different versions of ball tracking, sound and hotspot. Each board, ECB, CA, BCCI etc can use their own version and I would imagine some go for the cheapest. Although I am fundamentally against the use of video and other technology in sport it's here and going to stay and the systems used in this country are now very good. However, and this was brought up by all the commentators on TMS and BT Sport this winter, the Aussie version of Hawkeye (ball tracking) was not satisfactory. It made some unbelievable decisions on the height and direction of some balls. It simply wasn't consistent with what was happening in real life and especially in the first two tests.
    The ICC need to sort this as a matter of urgency and get some continuity and consistency in the world game.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

SD, what do they do in the States?

They rolled it out like right at the end of last year in MLS. The timing was sort of strange but because it's so common in other sports there wasn't anywhere near the resistance or controversy you have in Europe, it was really a non-event from what I could tell. The two or three times I saw it used it was used correctly. But I don't watch a ton of MLS, I know there are others who will have watched more (Oakster for sure), so they could probably speak with more in depth knowledge.

This article gives a good overview.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-video-soccer-refereeing-20170812-story.html

The MLS program rolled out last weekend operates under the protocol of the International Football Assn. Board — keeper of the sport's sacred rules — which limits VAR assistance to four areas it considers "game-changing" situations. In each instance, reviews will be limited not just to the specific play but also to the "attacking phase of play" that led to the questionable call.

When the VAR official determines a play needs to be checked, he or she will alert the center referee through an earpiece. The referee may hold play during the check or could allow play to continue until the check has been completed. If replays show a clear error may have occurred, the video-replay official will recommend the referee take a look — a suggestion that can be ignored by allowing play to go on or accepted by using both hands to trace a rectangular TV-like shape in the air, indicating a stoppage for a review.

At that point the center referee, the only official who can overrule the original call, will step to the side of the pitch and check the broadcast feed. In the first weekend of video review, according to MLS, there were 112 checks but just two reviews, the one in the Galaxy game and another that erased a goal for FC Dallas.

• Options
    Laws of the game are global, with governance by a club's immediate affiliation. How many parents will be out tomorrow berating a ref that volunteers to do the job for nothing, armed with a phone because they think their lad may marry a pop star. Would stake at least a pound....
  • Options
    Rugby is an example how it eventually gets it right - move on