Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football is now a farce

12345679»

Comments

• Options

But it is only because the people who run football are clueless. Look at Cricket and Tennis that implement the technology far more logically. The simple solution is refs make the decisions, each side has one review per game that can only be used for significant decisions. If the review is wrong then they lose it. If right they keep it. If a team makes three consecutive wrong reviews, they lose them (that counts as a wrong review if they make a right one and a wrong one in the same game). Simples and sorted!

Confused of Albufeira here... You mention one review per game, and then three consecutive wrong reviews, Mutters. Do you mean if they have wrong reviews in three consecutive matches, they lose the right to review for the rest of the season? Because if they are only entitled to one review per game, after the first one is deemed wrong, they wouldn't get a second or third anyway?

As far as I know in tennis the question is black and white - was the ball out or not - logical that the player calls for the review I grant you, but it is like goal line technology, a matter of fact, not opinion. Even with the system you suggest, the same (allegedly) erroneous review decisions that we have seen recently will apply. Then an even bigger howler occurs later in the game, and the advocates of VAR will be lining up to say "How ridiculous that there are not [insert number here] reviews allowed, if we have the technology, why not use it to it's full potential?".

I was never an advocate of VAR, but I accepted the inevitability of it's usage because a majority (certainly on here) seem to want it. Although I did caution that it was still down to one person's opinion, and that what we see happening now would happen - after all we have all been in the pub where we have seen all the replays the VAR official sees, and there's still a 50/50 split on was it a penalty or not. In it's present form it is proving problematic, and you will never, ever get away from the fact that ultimately it's still down to an opinion. If yours happens to differ from that of the man in the box, tough...
    Other concerns about reviewing!
    Can a team actually stop play for a review (after a ref fails to give a penalty)?
    Home team will have better access to instant video replays to assess whether to risk a review.
    Unused reviews will be called in injury time simply to slow the game down (like pointless substitutions).

And also!
    Teams may call a review of a goal pointing to a foul earlier in the build up.
    The VAR will be forced to say something like "Yes that was a foul and the goal should really have been disallowed. But it was more than 10 seconds before so the goal stands and you cannot have any more reviews!".

All very good points.
  • Options

Would much prefer a review based system

Would much prefer no VAR system at all
    Completely agree
  • Options
    Are they sure its a Computer that decides the Fixture List each season and not the TV Companies... Struggle to believe it coincidence that so many rival games are on this Weekend.

Hibs v Hearts
    Man Utd v Liverpool
    Aston Villa v Wolves
    Rangers v Celtic
    Nottingham Forest v Derby

It seems to happen every season, I know two of those games will be controlled in Scotland yet still feel its a bit suspect
  • Options
    The computer decides it but its someone from Sky that programs it.
  • Options
    I hate it so much
  • Options
    Makes a change not to have bloody Leeds on the box this week
  • Options
    Will really miss the Italians at this World Cup. They were always good at spotting an on-field reffing conspiracy...classic case of takes one to know one. Who now will be scrutinising some all-powerful but faceless, unknown official behind a TV screen at FIFA Towers?
  • Options
    edited March 2018