Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson out?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    _nam11 said:

Who would you want to come in and replace Robbo then?

Are we just going to keep sacking managers after a year or so, and keep doing it, until a season like CP happens?

Yes I’m fuming we’ve let the season slip away. Injuries have been our down fall. Yes KR had all summer to build a squad, but you can never envisage for things to be as bad as they have been.

Early season, we were playing beautiful football. A sign of what players we had and what coaches we had. As soon as s***t hits the fan, people want out. Each to their own.

Take the rough with the smooth...

I tend to agree with you and believe we need to stick with him but this little niggling doubt I had after Plymouth away that he cant change a game or adapt tactics mid game is getting bigger. He needs to address this weather that is him or because he does not have the players/squad to do this due to Rolands way.
  • Options

If we're talking about a replacement for Karl then I can think of two I'd love to see at Charlton

Nathan Jones would be my first choice... Dan Cowley (Lincoln) would be another!!

Add in Neal Ardley or Gareth Ainsworth for me but CP clear favourite.
  • Options

If we're talking about a replacement for Karl then I can think of two I'd love to see at Charlton

Nathan Jones would be my first choice... Dan Cowley (Lincoln) would be another!!

Add in Neal Ardley or Gareth Ainsworth for me but CP clear favourite.
    Gareth Ainsworth would be a very good shout...

Not sure about Ardley, reckon he'll be a AFC Wimbledon man like what Tisdale is @ Exeter
  • Options
    I just think that should new owners come in, then they will look at current situation and think to themselves 'can we trust this man to spend our money?' - if the answer is no, as is likely, then they may well negotiate with RD to get shot of him before the official takeover.
    Nathan Jones would be a good one tbh.
  • Options
    The problem for Robinson is that the form slump is SO bad.

If we’d gone 3 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses over the last 10 games then people would be pissed off but he’d be safe.

However, the facts are that over nearly the last quarter of the league season we have garnered 7 points from the 30 available - that’s shocking.

You HAVE to be able to change things up when you’re in trouble but KR does not seem able to do it and that’s a big problem,
  • Options
    There are occasions when I feel frustrated and angry managing a youth level team. You invest so much of yourself into it and I'm sure when it is also your livelihood, that pressure and feeling is magnified a hundredfold. You see Wenger and Mourinho being overly tetchy after a bad game, seemingly looking for an argument. I can understand it and empathise with it.

Last season I was close to losing it with opposing managers on a number of occasions, and I see other managers and coaches losing it from time to time. Usually after they defend bad fouls which really gets my goat but it gets your goat more if you lose than if you win for some reason. I had to look at myself prior to this season and decided to address it or pack it all in as I recognise there is no worse example I could give. It isn't easy and I still get angry sometimes but check myself when I feel it. I say this because I understand how Robinson feels and he is an emotional character by nature. Having said that, offering fans out is crossing a line, especially from a manager. He needs to understand that and try not to cross it in future.
  • Options

Certainly wears his heart on his sleeve and in this case shows his Liverpudlian side.

I've been critical lately, the first 20 at Southend was one of the worst I've ever seen but I'm not one for a knee jerk at a critical time of the season with the injury list he has (which may be his own fault)

We need a break, a sneaky 1-0 on Saturday will do, we need key players back - Solly, Bauer, Fosu. We need key players fit - Magennis, Holmes, Marshall, JFC, Kashi, and we need fresh legs in the middle and up top.

This side were never top 2 material but I still think we could nick 5th or 6th with a bit of luck on the injury front and fresh blood so that he can change tactics and formation from time to time. I would definitely start JJ and KAG on Saturday as we need the leadership and pace.

If Roland sacks him now I think that might be my lot.

Have you taken a look at the table recently ?? We are 11 points off 5th. To put that into context, we are 10 points off relegation.

Give Robinson until the end of the month & I'm sure 6th will be out of reach & we'll be looking at 20th being a good place to end the season.
    And who will do a better job????
    No idea. I don't know who is available & who would want the job. Monk ?? Pulis ?? No idea. But sometimes doing nothing is worse. I've just posted on the post match thread about our lack of goals. 3 in the last 8 games. THREE !!! Most teams will score that in 1 or 2 games, even when they're losing. Until Robinson addresses this issue then we are only going one way - downwards.
    Yes because Pulis who only took over at Middlesbrough a week ago, is highly likely to be interested in moving to a mid table league one side.

Monk won't want to drop into league one either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

Certainly wears his heart on his sleeve and in this case shows his Liverpudlian side.

I've been critical lately, the first 20 at Southend was one of the worst I've ever seen but I'm not one for a knee jerk at a critical time of the season with the injury list he has (which may be his own fault)

We need a break, a sneaky 1-0 on Saturday will do, we need key players back - Solly, Bauer, Fosu. We need key players fit - Magennis, Holmes, Marshall, JFC, Kashi, and we need fresh legs in the middle and up top.

This side were never top 2 material but I still think we could nick 5th or 6th with a bit of luck on the injury front and fresh blood so that he can change tactics and formation from time to time. I would definitely start JJ and KAG on Saturday as we need the leadership and pace.

If Roland sacks him now I think that might be my lot.

Have you taken a look at the table recently ?? We are 11 points off 5th. To put that into context, we are 10 points off relegation.

Give Robinson until the end of the month & I'm sure 6th will be out of reach & we'll be looking at 20th being a good place to end the season.
    And who will do a better job????
    No idea. I don't know who is available & who would want the job. Monk ?? Pulis ?? No idea. But sometimes doing nothing is worse. I've just posted on the post match thread about our lack of goals. 3 in the last 8 games. THREE !!! Most teams will score that in 1 or 2 games, even when they're losing. Until Robinson addresses this issue then we are only going one way - downwards.
    5 in 8 league games.

If you count cup games it's 7 in the last 8.

or 9 goals in the last 10 games (all comps).

Any way you look at it, it's not great, but let's not make up 'facts'.

Gillingham 1-2
    Wigan 0-0
    Southend 1-3
    Blackpool 1-1
    Blackburn 0-2
    Portsmouth 0-1
    CUP Swansea 3-2
    CUP Wimbledon 1-3

Peterborough 2-2
    Scunthorpe 0-1

• Options
    edited January 2018
    We need more scorers and fewer missers in the side, but it is also about opening teams up. Marshall has disapointed me big time because whereas Holmes runs at defenders and makes things happen, he looks like he has the game to do this but hardly ever does. So opponents know who they have to stop and you need to give them a longer list which challenges them more. Marshall should be adding his name to that list and isn't IMO. Fosu and Holmes give opponents a bigger problem collectively and this helps Magennis.

What Magennis is doing now is look for the ball. He is far too isolated and needs to be closer to a red shirt than he often is. When he does win the ball he has nothing on. When we were attacking Gillingham on Monday and he had players around him, he was more effective and involved. Rather than blame him, and I am sure he is lacking in confidence in the same way as I am sure he is a player better than this level, Robinson needs to look for answers.

The problem when you don't have enough scorers in the team is if you get bodies forward and try to create more, you leave yourself more exposed. You need to have more of a threat than we do. The fact that we only got one goal in a dominant second half against Gillingham highlights the problem. Robinson needs to solve that problem, and even with Fosu back, we had a good run previously but didn't really thrash anybody so luck is needed to go on another sort of run that we need. Robinson needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and find solutions quickly.
  • Options

This need and fury at anything that isn’t instant and successful is just a symptom of modern life. There is no willingness to wait and build slowly. It’s everything I want now and if I can’t be given it now then I’m going to complain.

I’m sorry but success is rarely instant and most good things in life are earned over time.

Robinson took over a shambles of a squad at a shambles of a club. He’s had support enough to start squad rebuilding but as always has been hamstrung by the owner.

In the year since his arrival I think it’s fair to say that the squad now looks for most part good enough to press on with notable exceptions.

The football early on exciting and winning. Something has gone off the rails and it’s hard to understand but don’t underestimate the impact of our injuries.

Looks like KR is again stuffed in the transfer window due to the takeover. For heavens sake I think we need to rally around him and the players right now and see where we finish. The playoffs look unlikely to me but we can quite as easily go on a winning run as we can continue the current poor form. We know the players can do it.

The alternative is continue the madness of sacking a manager every summer because they havn’t provided instant glory.

I’ve seen enough of Robinson for me to think he needs another season and support to build his team.

I agree - the alternative is a no-mark like Nobby Vinegar - who has no idea of this League and the opposition. Do we want more tactical genius on a par with 'spread out'?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I do agree, we were playing some lovely football for the level before the injury crisis. But his failure to adapt is concerning. One up front does not work at home for us. If somebody is slapping you in the face, maybe you ought to figure out it is a good idea to duck on the fourth or fifth stroke. Robinson's persistance with a formation that isn't working with key players missing and wasn't always working with our best team is a major concern. I think it is ok away, but can be adapted in a more offensive 4-3-3 at home where players are not so easy to isolate!
  • Options

I do agree, we were playing some lovely football for the level before the injury crisis. But his failure to adapt is concerning. One up front does not work at home for us. If somebody is slapping you in the face, maybe you ought to figure out it is a good idea to duck on the fourth or fifth stroke. Robinson's persistance with a formation that isn't working with key players missing and wasn't always working with our best team is a major concern. I think it is ok away, but can be adapted in a more offensive 4-3-3 at home where players are not so easy to isolate!

I agree. Robinson’s Achilles heel does seem to be an obsession with making the players we have fit into his system rather than be more flexible when circumstances dictate.

Unless he can get past that I doubt that he can go on to bigger and better things but I do hope that he is given a run at next season with a couple of decent strikers because early on this season I very much liked what I saw.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

This need and fury at anything that isn’t instant and successful is just a symptom of modern life. There is no willingness to wait and build slowly. It’s everything I want now and if I can’t be given it now then I’m going to complain.

I’m sorry but success is rarely instant and most good things in life are earned over time.

Robinson took over a shambles of a squad at a shambles of a club. He’s had support enough to start squad rebuilding but as always has been hamstrung by the owner.

In the year since his arrival I think it’s fair to say that the squad now looks for most part good enough to press on with notable exceptions.

The football early on exciting and winning. Something has gone off the rails and it’s hard to understand but don’t underestimate the impact of our injuries.

Looks like KR is again stuffed in the transfer window due to the takeover. For heavens sake I think we need to rally around him and the players right now and see where we finish. The playoffs look unlikely to me but we can quite as easily go on a winning run as we can continue the current poor form. We know the players can do it.

The alternative is continue the madness of sacking a manager every summer because they havn’t provided instant glory.

I’ve seen enough of Robinson for me to think he needs another season and support to build his team.

He's had a year now. The football for the last 2 months has been almost as turgid as the stuff under Slade, he's not progressed the team in my view. I don't trust him, nor do I think he actually knows what he is doing, nor do I like him as a person - he's just another gobshite scouser who talks a lot but has little substance underneath the BS/cliched rhetoric.
    There are much better candidates out there, who maybe do know what they are doing, and under a new regime I hope they look at bringing someone in who they have carefully selected at making progress with the team, and motivational ability to get 101 per cent out of players that currently KR is getting 80/90. That's what management/coaching is all about - KR clearly doesn't have 'it'. Why waste time now, bring someone in who can build a TEAM capable of making a decent go at it for next season.
  • Options

There are occasions when I feel frustrated and angry managing a youth level team. You invest so much of yourself into it and I'm sure when it is also your livelihood, that pressure and feeling is magnified a hundredfold. You see Wenger and Mourinho being overly tetchy after a bad game, seemingly looking for an argument. I can understand it and empathise with it.

Last season I was close to losing it with opposing managers on a number of occasions, and I see other managers and coaches losing it from time to time. Usually after they defend bad fouls which really gets my goat but it gets your goat more if you lose than if you win for some reason. I had to look at myself prior to this season and decided to address it or pack it all in as I recognise there is no worse example I could give. It isn't easy and I still get angry sometimes but check myself when I feel it. I say this because I understand how Robinson feels and he is an emotional character by nature. Having said that, offering fans out is crossing a line, especially from a manager. He needs to understand that and try not to cross it in future.

Not convinced he actually did.

Good post though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    se9addick said:

Even as a Charlton fan I wouldn't come to us if I was Nathan Jones. Frankly any manager that's in the Football League and doing well would be mad to come whilst Roland's here.
    Agreed... I meant those two if we're taken over with the new owners wanting their own man in charge - Id be very surprised if Jones came here under Roland as reckon he kept in contact with Chris Powell since he left Charlton so will know all about the mess
  • Options

se9addick said:

Even as a Charlton fan I wouldn't come to us if I was Nathan Jones. Frankly any manager that's in the Football League and doing well would be mad to come whilst Roland's here.
    Agreed... I meant those two if we're taken over with the new owners wanting their own man in charge - Id be very surprised if Jones came here under Roland as reckon he kept in contact with Chris Powell since he left Charlton so will know all about the mess
    Mate with the money and ambition we're going to have in our bold, post-Roland, future I expect no-one less than Pep as our next manager!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Mate with the money and ambition we're going to have in our bold, post-Roland, future I expect no-one less than Pep as our next manager!
    I take it you mean this bloke then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep_Clotet
  • Options

I thought he meant the Italian, Pep Sicola

ALMOST went to Google that Manager!!
  • Options
    I am going to give Robinson a free bit of advice. When you are playing one up front who the opposing defence are suceeding in isolating and you are not getting enough players into a cramped penalty area, you have to alter the balance of crosses in favour of more beating players and cutting into the box from your wide players. Holmes certainly is capabale of it and Marshall showed he was in the second half on Monday, but absolutely no sign previously!

I'd say to them to beat their man, drive into the box and then see what is on at least twice as often as they cross. This will give midfielders a chance to make runs into danger areas who can be picked out with a pass. If you are going to play Robinson's system with the players we have, it makes no sense to lob in aimless balls that defenders who massively outnumber offensive players can pick off at will. Like I said, a free bit of advice that I should not have to be giving him!!!
  • Options
    I think Robbo should go. Did someone say Chris Powell ;)
  • Options
    I think we need a no nonsense manager that will form a hard working team of grafters. Pullis would get my vote.................
  • Options
    Actually Pullis would be a great shout, but I doubt we could attract him.