Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth 2 Charlton 0 Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Just seen the Plymouth keeper's save - outstanding. Game changing moment.
  • Options
    This was our strongest team on paper. I thought Plymouth no 14 and goalie both had good games and our toothless attack meant they could pick up the points. Mag not fit. Thought Clarke was really good today so it says a lot about our depth that it was hom who was subbed.
    Result was bad but a neutral would've enjoyed it. Ref was crap as usual. Their 2nd came from him not giving 2 fouls against us.
  • Options
    If Robinson doesn't rate Phillips he really needs to get a decent keeper in urgently, as well as the obvious need for a striker.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    If you are playing one up top, you would imagine the striker position options would be where you have the biggest strength, either that or you are an inferior side more bothered about containing superior sides which I don't think we are in this league in all honesty.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

Early season. Team missing Marshall and Reeves, with Magennis not at 100%. So whilst we need another forward (preferably two) as we lack quality and goalscoring up top, the only reason for this angst is because we think here we go again. Hopefully we add to the squad and get back on it soon.

Magennis not 100% - but no other options, not deep into January - but the second game of the season FFS!
    But the reason we are so pished off because we don't trust the idiots that run the club to allow KR the chance to improve the options. TBH who plays an unfit player upfront alone anyway?
    A manager with no real choice?

Maybe he felt he had no options, but how about a one off change of shape? Play KAG up along side or closer to him, to share the work load.
  • Options
    For us - Grant 31 apps 1 goal - Novak 30 apps 2 goals - Magennis 39 apps10 goals. No other comment is needed really.
  • Options
    This whole situation is giving me a sense of 'deja-vu'....just imagine, Charlton being a decent striker short of a team just as the new season is unfolding! Surely not!

The idea of a league one Simon Church coming in is not only bone chilling, but probably pretty much on the money as well...
  • Options

Let's not get this out of proportion. We were very decent but we flatter to deceive. We have ball and quality players but we don't have a plan b and don't have a striker capable of changing a game. On today's performances I think we will be up there but no way threaten the top four. We just won't score enough goals. We are improving on last years piss poor turn out but we lack that special something. We are however a team. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

I think this is a fair assessment of where we are now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    They were huge and they forced their game on to us. Movement became increasingly bad as the game wore on and we didn't seem to have the ability to beat a man (in stark contrast to Exeter game). Josh needs to do more all round and I note some comments that he needs to be 100% or is not effective. I thought both subs livened us up and gave us a bit of pace but when we didn't score in the first 20+ mins it looked like they would grind us down.

The ref gave us nothing but we didn't help ourselves.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not a bad first half and could've been 2 or 3 up.
    Second half wasn't great.
    Kashi didn't have a good game.
    Why was Clarke taken off when he was our biggest threat. Clarke and fosu replaced by players you know just aren't gonna improve us.
    Was saying before season we need a striker to cover magennis, now wondering if we need a striker to replace him. If he's not fit don't play him, because he ain't looked good for a long time.
    Solly seems to be in a dream world recently, jogging around leaving the winger loads of space to get a cross in. Get tight man!
    Amos in goal is unconvincing so far. Phillips last season pushed Rudd all the way for the goalkeepers jersey and Rudd is leagues ahead of Amos. If we're gonna send Phillips out on loan and replace him, it's got to be with someone better!
  • Options
    Will we finish above Plymouth? Yes. Would I want to watch PA over us ? No. If we had BWP or Clive Mendonca we would go up. We haven't and sadly I don't think promotion is that likely although possible,
  • Options
    I have no idea what formation Robinson played at MK Dons but I distinctly remember regular talk of them struggling to score goals and getting in the likes of Ian Wright to work with the strikers etc. They had one good season, which I guess is all you need, and were promoted. I'm not convinced it means the system, if it was the current one, works. Others with better knowledge than me will be able to discuss this.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    se9addick said:

For us - Grant 31 apps 1 goal - Novak 30 apps 2 goals - Magennis 39 apps10 goals. No other comment is needed really.

Well I think one is, how many of those 31 appperances has Grant actually played through the middle - you know, as an actual striker, the position he's scored countless goals for our development squad in?

Josh is clearly unfit, Novak is shocking, if we aren't going to play KAG in his position now when will we ?
    He had a terrific game on Tuesday and missed a great chance - maybe when he stops missing these and starts scoring. It may happen to him, but if he is not a striker who scores goals, and based on current evidence he probably won't be, he will not end his career playing through the middle. Good player that he is.
  • Options

Let's not get this out of proportion. We were very decent but we flatter to deceive. We have ball and quality players but we don't have a plan b and don't have a striker capable of changing a game. On today's performances I think we will be up there but no way threaten the top four. We just won't score enough goals. We are improving on last years piss poor turn out but we lack that special something. We are however a team. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

Agree. Sound like we did (fairly) ok but couldn't get the ball in the net.
  • Options

Although as Sheff Utd lost their first two matches last season it's a little early to be sure about anything after just two matches. Except that we need a striker of course!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    One thing we had in our League One winning season, especially at the start of the campaign, was a striker who only needed a half chance to get a goal. We would have won today comfortably with that striker in this side in teh form he was in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We let in 2 goals against Plymouth so our defence is also a problem. Another mediocre season beckons!

• Options
    edited August 2017
    cabbles said:

Been at a 1 year old's birthday party today in Braintree so couldn't go. Enjoyed reading the thread so far.

Sounds like we had a good first half, but for whatever reason we couldn't get going in the 2nd.

I'm all about making sure I reserve judgment until 10 games in as to what we can do. I took last week's win in isolation, I intend to do the same with this defeat and I think we can bounce back against Northampton

I'm confident we will beat Northampton.

• Options

Agree. Sound like we did (fairly) ok but couldn't get the ball in the net.
    Plymouth were very ordinary and we lost. We clearly had the better players but did not win the game, so you have to ask questions about tactics. We were unlucky with the first half save but it wasn't in any sense a backs to the wall job for Plymouth. In fact they could have led at half-time but for Amos's own save. We were no threat in the second half at all.
    Precisely. But there is hope and a real something to build on. I don't feel that's been the case since Powell was sacked.

• Options
    Well it didn't take long for the feel good factor to disappear did it? One game more than last year I suppose. Best team first half but no end product. When will KR learn that pretty football isn't enough in this league particularly when you don't take your chances. You have to match big physical players with big physical players or this result will become all too familiar because this league is full of them. KR admitted in his press conference he knew they were big so why not pay Konsa at full back and Aribo in midfield to even it up a bit.
    We were the better team, first half, by far but knew the missed chances would cost us. They scored from a corner which was inevitable given the average height levels. From there they grew in confidence and we had no answers.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Only two games in so it's important to keep things in perspective. However I said a few weeks ago that for this squad to be mentioned in the same breath as the record breaking one of 2011/12, who only lost 5 games, they need to grind out results especially in the depth of winter in a cold desolate Northern outpost against a team of giants.

It is very disappointing therefore that we failed to get anything from todays game in summer at a Southerly outpost on a pitch in good condition conducive to pretty football albeit against a team of 'giants'.

And It doesn't auger well if KRs philosophy remains 4-2-3-1 or bust especially if he is unable to acquire a decent striker within his budget and has to pin his hopes on a loan signing from a league above.

A crucial few weeks now lie ahead in terms of bouncebackabilty and acquiring a decent striker. Failure on either front and KR will come under increasing pressure in the autumn from he who must be obeyed.
  • Options
    If I was the negative type I'd point out that we didn't really score against Rovers last week either.
  • Options
    Relax everyone. We lost because our shirts were the wrong shade of blue.