Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth 2 Charlton 0 Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    It would have been nice to win but it was good to meet up with and put a face to @Rob .
    I vaguely recall @Oggy Red (I think) from long ago.
    Lots of familiar faces that I just don't see much these days. Pity I didn't get more time to chat. @Lewis Coaches @Airman Brown and all the others that may not have CL profiles including Steve and wendy Perfect, Alison with her new hubby and even spied betty Hutchins.

Reminds me of how sociable it all can be.
  • Options
    Not too concerned. Just looked at the Argyle forum and they seem to be impressed with us and are suggesting that 2-0 wasn't a true reflection.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    We're a really small and weak team and got exploited today.

According to google:

Solly 5'6
    Da Silva 5'5
    Kashi 5'8
    JFK 5'8
    Holmes 5'8 (??)
    Fosu 5'9
    Clarke 5'7 (edited)

Where as if you take just the front three for Plymouth alone you had

Bissett 6'3+
    Jervis 6'2+
    Grant 6'0

If we're not going to move the ball quickly and to feet, or to punch through the defence with pacey players running onto through balls, then we will really struggle this year and get out muscled in a lot of games.
  • Options

Not too concerned. Just looked at the Argyle forum and they seem to be impressed with us and are suggesting that 2-0 wasn't a true reflection.

Heard that about 6 times last season
  • Options
    We are a good side at this level - need some striking options - cost us today - will cost us over the course of the season if not addressed. Given striker situation, Watt shouldn't have been sold until after this match.
  • Options
    Beardface said:

According to google:

Solly 5'6
    Da Silva 5'5
    Kashi 5'8
    JFK 5'8
    Holmes 5'8 (??)
    Fosu 5'9
    Clarke 5'5

Bissett 6'3+
    Jervis 6'2+
    Grant 6'0

If we're not going to move the ball quickly and to feet, or to punch through the defence with pacey players running onto through balls, then we will really struggle this year and get out muscled in a lot of games.

Billy Clarke is 5.5 ?? You mean even I tower over him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

But we can afford it, we have the richest owner in our history and we are one of his children in need, he could pay silly money for a striker(s) to fire us out of this league.

I belive the team have enough quality that the addition of a goal scorer or two would get us up and he must know that as well, if he doesnt then KM certainly does and should tell him.

Squirrel face knows jack s***.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    But KR can tell her that she has to persuade the idiot or we will fall short.
  • Options
    It's a tough league. Blackburn have lost their first two matches

Just settled in here for an eveing in Plymouth, after a tough run on the M% and a tough game.
    Thoughts?
    We played good, composed football in the first half, and while even then I thought we lacked an edge we created a couple of good opportunities. The way the game went coud be judged by the noise levels as Plymouth were silent for the first twenty minutes, but they began to knock balls over the defence, and their overlap on the wings created some real problems. At half time I thought 0-0 looked fair but not likely to last, and my mate reckoned Plymouth would win 1 or 2 nil. The second half was different. Our neat passing game went nowhere, and when Plymouth went ahead, they shut up shop, and we really didn't look likely to equalise, bar a half chance for Mag, just before the second goal. The support trailed off, as the fans had nothing to get excited about, and some bellend lobbed a flare onto the pitch after the second goal, just to make us look like poor losers.
    In the end, it's just a balance to last weeks heroics, but either the cteative side needs a boost, or e need a striker who can make space to recieve the ball. Mag received almost no service in the second half, but as he was coming bck from injury, he might also have not been at his best. No matter, plenty there for KR to worry about. And a definate nod to everyone who said the squad was too light.
    Finally, the away kit today? FFS, red would have been a much better contrast to the Plymouth kit. The new blue kit is nice, but it blended in with the surroundings.

Agreed the reaction of those fans who threw the flare on the pitch, then left before the end shouting abuse was a bit pathetic

I thought the blue kit blended in with the background as well, akin to the grey Man U kit
  • Options
    Blackburn have owners as crap as ours!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Where do we find strikers we can afford and can do the job for us?

Unlikely we're going to get any player in any clubs 1st team, unless we offer stupid money, can't see that happening.

Anyone else will be a lottery, Andy Jones springs to mind.

In the days of Andy Jones, we had no ground and very little money. We now have a multi millionaire owner who can more than afford to pay stupid money.
    But won't !
    Totally agree but my point being, there's no guarantee, who we get in, will do a job. Not at our level, anyway.
  • Options

It's a tough league. Blackburn have lost their first two matches

Just settled in here for an eveing in Plymouth, after a tough run on the M% and a tough game.
    Thoughts?
    We played good, composed football in the first half, and while even then I thought we lacked an edge we created a couple of good opportunities. The way the game went coud be judged by the noise levels as Plymouth were silent for the first twenty minutes, but they began to knock balls over the defence, and their overlap on the wings created some real problems. At half time I thought 0-0 looked fair but not likely to last, and my mate reckoned Plymouth would win 1 or 2 nil. The second half was different. Our neat passing game went nowhere, and when Plymouth went ahead, they shut up shop, and we really didn't look likely to equalise, bar a half chance for Mag, just before the second goal. The support trailed off, as the fans had nothing to get excited about, and some bellend lobbed a flare onto the pitch after the second goal, just to make us look like poor losers.
    In the end, it's just a balance to last weeks heroics, but either the cteative side needs a boost, or e need a striker who can make space to recieve the ball. Mag received almost no service in the second half, but as he was coming bck from injury, he might also have not been at his best. No matter, plenty there for KR to worry about. And a definate nod to everyone who said the squad was too light.
    Finally, the away kit today? FFS, red would have been a much better contrast to the Plymouth kit. The new blue kit is nice, but it blended in with the surroundings.

Agreed the reaction of those fans who threw the flare on the pitch, then left before the end shouting abuse was a bit pathetic

I thought the blue kit blended in with the background as well, akin to the grey Man U kit
    Agree about the kit. It also wasn't distinct enough from argyles kit which surely must make passing just that little slower as players need a moment or two extra to be sure.
  • Options
    We shouldn't be having this discussion now, the players should already be in place. I made the point in the pre-match thread that KR ought to consider going 4-4-2 with Watt and KAG seeing as Novak and Magennis were out. Was a plan B option at least. With Watt sold just before the game, that option was KAG who is probably more of a wide player and a kid. How ridiculous is that. How many other teams in League one had to play a not fully fit player - had too FFS! Not KR's fault - the fault lies with the Owner/CEO. Every season there are too many games where we have to make real compromises in team selection - we held on to teh second game this season without having to do it. It is quite frankly ridiculous, and I am not saying the squad is rubbish, but given how everybody knows the striker situation is urgently in need of addressing even before Watt goes, why was he allowed to go before we have addressed?
  • Options
    Beardface said:

According to google:

Solly 5'6
    Da Silva 5'5
    Kashi 5'8
    JFK 5'8
    Holmes 5'8 (??)
    Fosu 5'9
    Clarke 5'5

Bissett 6'3+
    Jervis 6'2+
    Grant 6'0

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in what you say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Can we not have the score in the thread title please?!
    Those of us too busy to stay tuned during the match, or sad enough to read the thread for evening entertainment, are denied the excitement of the unknown which we live for in that period. Thanks to Jimmy and Seth for their good work.
  • Options

rant alert...

Massively pissed off, mainly with myself for allowing a smidgin of belief that there might be something in this "We've got our Charlton back" garbage. I said it was hugely unwise of KR to come out with that, but because of the good feedback from Exeter, and being a football fan, I was persuaded to eventually part with a fiver to watch the live stream.

Well sort of. It's for another thread, but by the time I actually had a picture it was showing the Plymouth fans celebrating their first. Thereafter, as others have said, I witnessed 35 minutes of pale, lacklustre football, and a patently unfit Josh. And BTW, no one else has said this yet, but I thought the keeper could have done better for the second, although I also thought we should have had a pen just before (but of course there is no replay facility on this joke of a "HD" stream facility).

Then we have the news filtering through that Watt has gone to Leuven, and KR now introducing another phrase to rebound on him time and time again: "we'll keep that internal".

KR is young, and deserves a chance but if he doesn't learn to shut his trap and measure the words he does utter more carefully, he won't get that chance. Has he not learnt by now that his bosses have not the first idea how the business of football works? Did he really think Watt was going to do the business for hm this season? That is what is implied by his comment. Well if so, that was a big mistake. If not, he should have made that clear much earlier, and kept up the pressure for a new striker.

As for getting our Charlton back, what we appear to have back is the Charlton of Chris Powell's final season where- for different reasons - we will find ourselves right at the end of the window searching for that most precious of commodities, a striker. And we know that what you end up with in those circumstances is Simon Church. If of course you are a division higher. Heaven knows what dross we can get now, even if as one of the optimists wrote, that dross "wants to play for us".

Why did I even think, let alone utter out loud to friends this week, that something might have changed, that we might have finally learnt lessons and are building a squad to mount a genuine challenge? Unlike KR, I am not young. What excuse do I have for this ridiculous show of optimism?

"We've got our team back" garbage
  • Options

We shouldn't be having this discussion now, the players should already be in place. I made the point in the pre-match thread that KR ought to consider going 4-4-2 with Watt and KAG seeing as Novak and Magennis were out. Was a plan B option at least. With Watt sold just before the game, that option was KAG who is probably more of a wide player and a kid. How ridiculous is that. How many other teams in League one had to play a not fully fit player - had too FFS! Not KR's fault - the fault lies with the Owner/CEO. Every season there are too many games where we have to make real compromises in team selection - we held on to teh second game this season without having to do it. It is quite frankly ridiculous, and I am not saying the squad is rubbish, but given how everybody knows the striker situation is urgently in need of addressing even before Watt goes, why was he allowed to go before we have addressed?

Would Watt have made a difference, chances are, not.
  • Options
    Maybe not but the season has started and we were so short of options that the manager had to play an unfit player - It is shambolic to sell one of the few strikers available to you just before this game!
  • Options

Beardface said:

According to google:

Solly 5'6
    Da Silva 5'5
    Kashi 5'8
    JFK 5'8
    Holmes 5'8 (??)
    Fosu 5'9
    Clarke 5'5

Bissett 6'3+
    Jervis 6'2+
    Grant 6'0

Billy Clarke is 5.5 ?? You mean even I tower over him.
    Sorry typo should be 5'7 will edit. Thanks!
  • Options

Maybe not but the season has started and we were so short of options that the manager had to play an unfit player - It is shambolic to sell one of the few strikers available to you just before this game!

The more I think about it the more I am glad to see him go. Everyone keeps looking back at how good he used to be. That talent he had has clearly gone and I'd rather have someone putting in a shift not 100% fit than someone who doesn't want to be here.
  • Options
    ok,so where is the player you would rather see?
  • Options
    Charlton Life suffers from Bipolar.
  • Options

ok,so where is the player you would rather see?

Stick RHF up front if need be. He played on Tuesday why not try him again. Watts performance last Saturday was abysmal even though he was brought on to do a job of protecting a lead. And he looked knackered at at the end after being on for 20 minutes.