Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth 2 Charlton 0 Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    These are the kinds of games you need to win if you want automatic promotion. Sounds like the boys played some good football today so encouraging.

The squad is already being exposed for our bare it is.
  • Options

Just woke up from a nice afternoon kip, did I miss anything?

Just another year in tier 3.
  • Options
    I am a Solly fan but you can’t have him and Da Silva in the same defence so I would try Dijksteel at right back against the big teams to add height to the team.
    Not disappointed that Watt has gone. Pity we did not sign Todd Bennett when we had a chance. Can't imagine that we will sign anyone decent now.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Stig said:

Just woke up from a nice afternoon kip, did I miss anything?

Just another year in tier 3.

I didn't know his alias was Rip Van Mendonca, well I'm blowed :wink: .
  • Options
    We seem to be the Arsenal of league 1, nice moments of good football & not enough wins.
  • Options

Let's not get this out of proportion. We were very decent but we flatter to deceive. We have ball and quality players but we don't have a plan b and don't have a striker capable of changing a game. On today's performances I think we will be up there but no way threaten the top four. We just won't score enough goals. We are improving on last years piss poor turn out but we lack that special something. We are however a team. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

Agree. Sound like we did (fairly) ok but couldn't get the ball in the net.
    Plymouth were very ordinary and we lost. We clearly had the better players but did not win the game, so you have to ask questions about tactics. We were unlucky with the first half save but it wasn't in any sense a backs to the wall job for Plymouth. In fact they could have led at half-time but for Amos's own save. We were no threat in the second half at all.
    Precisely. But there is hope and a real something to build on. I don't feel that's been the case since Powell was sacked.

You make the heroic assumption that Roland agrees he needs to build on what we have now.

• Options

Well it didn't take long for the feel good factor to disappear did it? One game more than last year I suppose. Best team first half but no end product. When will KR learn that pretty football isn't enough in this league particularly when you don't take your chances. You have to match big physical players with big physical players or this result will become all too familiar because this league is full of them. KR admitted in his press conference he knew they were big so why not pay Konsa at full back and Aribo in midfield to even it up a bit.
    We were the better team, first half, by far but knew the missed chances would cost us. They scored from a corner which was inevitable given the average height levels. From there they grew in confidence and we had no answers.

Good idea re Konsa & Aribo coming in to solve height issues. Sarr is also v. tall. Maybe Djiksteel could have replaced Solly as well.
  • Options
    Well, it's good to stumble and point out your own flaws before the transfer window closes. The problem, as has already been said on here, is that there aren't going to be that many decent first choice strikers on the market anymore. Especially if your owners aren't willing to spend decent money if they're willing to spend at all. It's been clear we needed another striker for a long time and all we've done so far is let three go. Hopefully today will make it overtly clear to the regime that we need to spend on a goalscorer. Otherwise we'd better hope that Patrick Bauer's got plenty of headers in his locker
  • Options
    Didn't think we were particularly good last week so today's defeat is hardly a surprise. Don't see KR leading us anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Curbs often said not to get too high with the highs and not too low with by lows.

Some people got far to high last week with talk of "announce promotion" and some people will over react in the opposite direction about this defeat.

Just as beating Rovers didn't make Robinson the greatest manager, Meire a great CEO and the protests redundant losing to Plymouth doesnt make all the players useless, lazy, disinterested losers or Tarbuck a bad good coach. Meire remains a bad CEO regardless. The protests were always about the owner not the results anyway and this protester, like 99% of others, wants Charlton to win every week whoever the owner is.

For those there a question.

What did Plymouth do differently in the second half? Did they change the way they played to stop us or what?

Did they improve and if so how?

I wasn't there unfortunately, but there's a bit of talk about Plymouth's physicality, height and strength having something to do with it? And missing chances doesn't help.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Curbs often said not to get too high with the highs and not too low with by lows.

Some people got far to high last week with talk of "announce promotion" and some people will over react in the opposite direction about this defeat.

Just as beating Rovers didn't make Robinson the greatest manager, Meire a great CEO and the protests redundant losing to Plymouth doesnt make all the players useless, lazy, disinterested losers or Tarbuck a bad good coach. Meire remains a bad CEO regardless. The protests were always about the owner not the results anyway and this protester, like 99% of others, wants Charlton to win every week whoever the owner is.

What did Plymouth do differently in the second half? Did they change the way they played to stop us or what?

Difficult to pinpoint it to one single factor.

They eventually punished us with the height advantage for the first goal which you could see them doing in the first half with us having no answer for.

I think Magennis tired so became ineffective.

Our crossing wasn't good enough and we didn't play with a quick enough tempo especially being a goal down. We also fell prone to the offside trap a couple of times.

And Plymouth probably got a rocket from the manager at half time.
  • Options
    Had a good read through their forums, they seem like a sensible bunch and their pessimism is quite similar to ours tbh

They are concerned that if a team shows up as fluid as us with a striker that can take his chances they will find themselves trailing often. I wasn't there today but I'll probably be at Rotherham, it doesn't sound too worrying though, we lacked the killer instinct up top and could have buried the game in the first half by the sounds of things. I don't see us bringing any players in cause history says we won't, maybe an average loan. Shame because by the sounds of things, a couple more physical players and a clinical centre forward and we would be on our way

Can't win em all, on to the next
  • Options
    edited August 2017

They scored.

Not going to go into match details as all been said already, but.........

Mag is either unfit or uninterested. Didn't go for a single ball in the 2nd half,

said in the match preview thread we would lose 2-0 & proved right.

said since June 1st we need a decent, 20 goal striker & proved right

Now need 2 decent strikers - Plymouth have one we could try to buy - will score more than any of ours this season.

If we don't buy at least 1 decent striker we will not finish in the top 6

Amos ok - no keeper can stop everything.

I'm trying to like KR & give him my backing but the next 3 weeks are huge.

we play in red - someone tell KR & KM this.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    We created almost nothing. It seem to me that flooding the midfield with players is only a good idea if you are able to play penetrative one touch football through the centre.
    If you can't, play 4 3 3 and get behind full backs the traditional way.
    But hey... what do i know..?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Magennis seems to me to be a player who has to be on or close to 100%. There were games when he was unplayable last season as well as games where he was ineffective. It seems that we will be effective when he is 100% so we have to hope that is the case for as many of our games as possible. For when he isn't, we need a plan B. It is pretty clear to me that we don't have one at this point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like a case of us still needing strikers, and we're still a bit shite all over the pitch. I am not certain how KR thinks we can progress with the same defence that made survival difficult last season.

Sounds like Amos looked a bit shakey...special thanks @Henry Irving for the notifications. Seems we just can't get a decent Keeper anymore...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Difficult to pinpoint it to one single factor.

They eventually punished us with the height advantage for the first goal which you could see them doing in the first half with us having no answer for.

I think Magennis tired so became ineffective.

Our crossing wasn't good enough and we didn't play with a quick enough tempo especially being a goal down. We also fell prone to the offside trap a couple of times.

And Plymouth probably got a rocket from the manager at half time.
    I doubt he gave them a rocket based on a post match interview on radio devon. He said that he was happy for us to play nice passing and possession football away from the danger zone.

Seems like this was their game plan and it worked well. We simply lacked penetration as our final ball was always lacking. They then decided to take more pssession and attack more as the game went on.
  • Options

It would have been nice to win but it was good to meet up with and put a face to @Rob .
    I vaguely recall @Oggy Red (I think) from long ago.
    Lots of familiar faces that I just don't see much these days. Pity I didn't get more time to chat. @Lewis Coaches @Airman Brown and all the others that may not have CL profiles including Steve and wendy Perfect, Alison with her new hubby and even spied betty Hutchins.

Reminds me of how sociable it all can be.

Nice to meet you as well @TellyTubby. I'm flying back to California today and then back again next week for a flying visit for dear old dad's funeral. Cheers.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not really sure how we managed to lose that one by a two goal deficit as Plymouth didn't really threaten us that much and we had 3 chances that would have on another day been certain goals.

Long old journey even on the train from Paddington. Plymouth is a nice town - I think about 50% of the population there is eating a pasty at any given time.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2017
    It has all been said on here really. First half I thought we looked really good and should have been 2 up. We hit the bar and were unlucky with other chances.

Our passing was really neat through the whole game and was impressive but second half they sussed us I think and then our passing ended up as huffing and puffing with no cutting edge. I think they out muscled us in the second half and the early goal after the break lifted them and their crowd. We did look light weight once they worked out how to deal with us.

I'm sure Robinson can see that. Like others have said, I agree that Clarke coming off seemed a mistake but that's a view in hindsight really as, at the time, I didn't really see that but as the match unfolded it probably had an impact.

Overall a 'tippy tappy' performance that looked pretty with little cutting edge in the second half. I thought Solly looked off.

Walking from the station the Plymouth supporters we spoke to were complimentary of our play and thought we were unlucky.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options

They just grew in confidence when they scored the first and put more men behind the ball, denying us the space we had when the game was level.
    Yes, once they got their goal they were able to defend deep and in numbers, which they did very well
  • Options
    Just seen the second goal... talk about chocolate wrists from Amos - McCormack had a similar save to make from Ahearne-Grant (?) earlier, thats how it should have been dealt with.

Didnt help with Kashi dwelling on the ball just beforehand though, am sure he'll quickly learn not to piss around like that as he grows used to the Division