Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mayweather vs McGregor

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Also McGregor is used to banging people over with little mitts on, not padded gloves.
    Don't see how people can predict McGregor can do what Canelo, Pac, De La Hoya etc. (all top top level fighters) couldn't.

Mayweather is one of the best at adapting in the middle of a round too.

Aside from all of that, I think footwork is the biggest factor.

It goes for as long as Floyd wants it to imo.

Again something I don't understand is people confidently talking about the gloves. They are completely different that to confidently predict anything about them is just silly. Yes, MMA use smaller gloves so in theory should be a harder punch when it lands, problem being that as they are smaller then it is a much smaller contact area and thus you have to be a lot more precise. It also means a lot less tape is used under the glove so while yes there is a lot more protection on a boxing glove, you can use a lot more tape to ensure that what is underneath is as hard as a rock.

This is one of the unknowns in a fight full of them. To try and swing it one way just shows a bias to one fighter/sport and using it to fit your own agenda.
    The glove size issue is about leaving the energy created by a punch in the opponent, and the difference in glove size means that you have to alter your punching technique. With no gloves or small gloves, you have a small contact point, this is good, because when you strike you have less area for the energy to dissipate (equal and opposite action), so a 'stabbing' type punch is ideal, works well and so the energy created stays in your opponent. But with bigger boxing gloves the favoured technique is to punch through your opponent, so 'punch and push' if you like, this is because if you 'stab' with a larger boxing glove, the contact surface area is bigger and so much of the energy is lost within the glove, so CM will have to change his punching technique, FW will not, so that is another area where CM will be playing catch up.
    Then they are heavier gloves so you'll have a greater force making contact.
    But you agree that it is an unknown? That's my point, the fact some are so confident in predicting what will happen is what I find odd.

@colthe3rd its a discussion about a fight which people are giving there opinions on, that you must even admit is a bit comical, its like getting chris robshawe to play football and be better then cristiano ronaldo, because they both run around

Agree it shouldn't have been made. Boxing fans have no interest in watching from a pure boxing standpoint and MMA fans have no reason to watch either. However, it is intriguing. It's a bit like where were you have those what if chats with mates down the pub. I guess we get the answer to one of those. It's also to watch 2 of the biggest sports stars get to go at it. From a purist perspective I've got no interest, as a novelty and pure intrigue, yeah why the hell not?

My problem comes though when people who have very little knowledge of either sport and/or have dismissed it completely are willing to let everyone else know their opinions. If you don't care then keep your opinions to yourself.
    No that is NOT what I am saying at all. The equation for power is mass x acceleration. The bigger the glove the slower it moves.
    The point I am making is that CM will have to change is punching technique because of the bigger glove.
    Spot on - Newton's First Law of Motion. I would add though that the acceleration of Mayweather's gloved hands will be more than McGregor has ever achieved with a mitted hand. So a double whammy - heavier handed and more acceleration resulting in massively increased force.

You're point about punching through as opposed to stabbing is also fundamental - by punching through the momentum of the punch is maintained for longer. McGregor won't have had time to change his technique, if indeed that were ever possible.

So not just about gloves, it's as much about punching technique.
    Based on?

On and it isn't Newton's first law. Pseudo scientists in here now!
    Apologies - second law - it's been a long time since I left school!!

But the universal laws of motion still apply.
  • Options
    That suit is the business.
  • Options
    What if McGregor does win though? Will he take up golf or darts or tennis or snooker or pool?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What if McGregor does win though? Will he take up golf or darts or tennis or snooker or pool?

Only if people stop making ridiculous comments on the internet.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

MMA fans will mock boxing fans until the sun stops rising.
  • Options
    McGregors little speech at the prezzer yesterday was absolutely brilliant... He is the best fight promoter ever and there is a good chance he will end up getting a job in that industry when he's done
  • Options
    McGregor was on top form last night, it's pretty clear Mayweather can't compete in the trash talking stakes.
  • Options

McGregor was on top form last night, it's pretty clear Mayweather can't compete in the trash talking stakes.

Mayweather was literally sitting there grinning, impressed... Don't think he quite realised how much of a showman Mac is, had crowd eating out of his palm
  • Options
    "40 years old and you can't even read" :smiley:

Mayweather visibly frustrated and rattled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He slipped his drink without blinking when that line was said. Bit cheeky of McGregor to call him a runner...

If you want to see rattled, watch when Floyd held the Irish flag. He gave it back to him after not doing anything disrespectful to it and he threw it back at him!

Some guy called Muhammad Ali was the best self promotor. Conor is extremely good though, not that that will help him out in the ring!
  • Options

He slipped his drink without blinking when that line was said. Bit cheeky of McGregor to call him a runner...

If you want to see rattled, watch when Floyd held the Irish flag. He gave it back to him after not doing anything disrespectful to it and he threw it back at him!

Some guy called Muhammad Ali was the best self promotor. Conor is extremely good though, not that that will help him out in the ring!
    There was a glare before he took that sip.

All Maywether has got is "Yeeeeaaah", "bitch", "things are hottin' up" and "money", of which he has very little left, hence why he's come out of retirement.

Floyd gave the flag back without doing anything as he knows McGregor would knock him in to the middle of the next century in anything other than a 12 round boxing bout.

"Do your hands hurt when it gets cold?" :smiley:
  • Options
    Carter said:

Load of bollocks all this is

I will be astonished if McGregor lands anything on Floyd at all.

That's the way it should pan out. If it doesn't then anything other than a Floyd masterclass is nothing but an embarrassment for Floyd.

McGregor will last longer in the ring than Floyd would in the Octagon, and Mayweather knows this.
  • Options
    I don't care if it's turning into a WWE slanging match, it's entertaining regardless. Always expected the pre fight build up to be more entertaining than the fight

• Options

Floyd gave the flag back without doing anything as he knows McGregor would knock him in to the middle of the next century in anything other than a 12 round boxing bout.
    Jesus....

Cold hands was another good line, a better one is why didn't Conor become a boxer, a sport with far more money than mix martial arts?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    12/1 for McGregor to throw a kick is surely the worst bet ever. He's supposedly contractually forbidden to do anything from MMA like that (kick, elbow, attempt a takedown) and if he does so he'll lose his fight purse.
  • Options

Jesus....

Cold hands was another good line, a better one is why didn't Conor become a boxer, a sport with far more money than mix martial arts?
    Blasphemy is uncalled for :wink:

Re the boxing thing, probably because, as McGregor says, he likes to fight a proper fight. Unrestricted, free flowing and multi-faceted (I'm a massive boxing fan and former youth boxer before you think I'm knocking the sport).

McGregor, at 28, will have earned more than Floyd did at the same stage of his boxing career. Not bad for someone who should have taken the, apparent, more lucrative route.
  • Options

12/1 for McGregor to throw a kick is surely the worst bet ever. He's supposedly contractually forbidden to do anything from MMA like that (kick, elbow, attempt a takedown) and if he does so he'll lose his fight purse.

Yeah but people are idiots so I'm sure a few will have a couple of quid on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jesus....

Re the boxing thing, probably because, as McGregor says, he likes to fight a proper fight. Unrestricted, free flowing and multi-faceted (I'm a massive boxing fan and former youth boxer before you think I'm knocking the sport).

McGregor, at 28, will have earned more than Floyd did at the same stage of his boxing career. Not bad for someone who should have taken the, apparent, more lucrative route.
    Here's a clue.
  • Options

Jesus....

Here's a clue.
    What question of mine was that answering? :smile:

All that shows me is that McGregor will fight anyone, at any weight and learn from his mistakes by coming back and avenging a loss.

You made the point about McGregor not going in to boxing as there was more money in it. I pointed out that, comparatively speaking, McGregor is in a better place financially at the same age, within a considerably shorter time frame, than Floyd was.

You've countered with Diaz throwing a punch, in a sport where a boxing guard isn't the only form of defence you need.

I wont post up the McGregor/Aldo punch as it proves nothing.
  • Options
    Say what you like about McGregor, the guy is fearless and doesn't give a fuck. Stepped up 2 weight classes to fight Diaz, fighting one of the best boxers of all time even though he's not a boxer. I highly doubt he'll fight in MMA again after this but if he does it wouldn't surprise me if he went to Russia to fight Khabib, the guy just doesn't care about facing adversity.
  • Options

Jesus....

Here's a clue.

All that shows me is that McGregor will fight anyone, at any weight and learn from his mistakes by coming back and avenging a loss.

You made the point about McGregor not going in to boxing as there was more money in it. I pointed out that, comparatively speaking, McGregor is in a better place financially at the same age, within a considerably shorter time frame, than Floyd was.

You've countered with Diaz throwing a punch, in a sport where a boxing guard isn't the only form of defence you need.

And how many boxers are on welfare at the stage of Conor's career when he was the cage rage featherweight and lightweight champion?!

MMA is a young sport, there was no option for Conor to choose one growing up, he trained as a boxer and moved into MMA when he was older.

Defense is pretty important in compart sport, if you can find a gif of someone landing 2 shots on Mayweather in a single swing I'll be impressed!

As for Aldo, the rematch was dodged and the belt vacated.
  • Options
    He didn't dodge Aldo! What's he got to prove after knocking the fuck out of him inside 15 seconds. Stepped up 2 weight classes for Diaz and then went and won the lightweight title, hardly dodging Aldo and looking for easy fights was he?!
  • Options

Jesus....

Here's a clue.

And how many boxers are on welfare at the stage of Conor's career when he was the cage rage featherweight and lightweight champion?!

MMA is a young sport, there was no option for Conor to choose one growing up, he trained as a boxer and moved into MMA when he was older.

Defense is pretty important in compart sport, if you can find a gif of someone landing 2 shots on Mayweather in a single swing I'll be impressed!

As for Aldo, the rematch was dodged and the belt vacated.
    Because Floyd has made career out of being a very boring, and very talented, boxer.

I'm not saying McGregor is going to win but I'm also not naive enough to say that McGregor doesn't have a chance.

Floyd has already been coming out and saying how he doesn't look the same as he did. How he's rusty and how his body is breaking down. Possibly all mind games but also a sign that he's covering his backside.

Re Aldo, a rematch was never needed as Aldo got sparked in 13 seconds. Aldo has also recently lost to Holloway. McGregor moved up through two weight divisions and beat two legends of the sport. Both of which were favourites to beat him. He lost to Diaz but came back. Hardly the sign of someone that would have dodged someone he knocked out cold in 13 seconds.
  • Options

Say what you like about McGregor, the guy is fearless and doesn't give a fuck. Stepped up 2 weight classes to fight Diaz, fighting one of the best boxers of all time even though he's not a boxer. I highly doubt he'll fight in MMA again after this but if he does it wouldn't surprise me if he went to Russia to fight Khabib, the guy just doesn't care about facing adversity.

I see it the other way, I don't see him boxing ever again. There a lot of lucrative fights for him in the UFC if he wants them. Apparently he has already said he wants Khabib in Russia in December. Then he can always try and become a 3 weight champion and there's also the possibility of a GSP fight.

Whatever your thoughts are on him, the guy has some big old bollocks to at first call for these things and then to actually do them.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I see it the other way, I don't see him boxing ever again. There a lot of lucrative fights for him in the UFC if he wants them. Apparently he has already said he wants Khabib in Russia in December. Then he can always try and become a 3 weight champion and there's also the possibility of a GSP fight.

Whatever your thoughts are on him, the guy has some big old bollocks to at first call for these things and then to actually do them.
    When i said i doubt he'll fight in MMA again, i didn't mean he'll be swapping that for boxing, i meant he'll make enough money from this fight to never have to fight again.
  • Options
    Bored of this circus act already.

Sure I'll find myself watching the fight anyway though.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

When i said i doubt he'll fight in MMA again, i didn't mean he'll be swapping that for boxing, i meant he'll make enough money from this fight to never have to fight again.
    But I don't actually cares about the money more than he cares about the spotlight and how his name will be remembered.