Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mayweather vs McGregor

Comments

• Options
    Had to laugh when Mayweather said ""I don't care if it's a ring or it's an octagon, I will kick ass. I don't back down for anybody".

Pretty sure you do care if it's in an octagon, as you'd get knocked out inside 1 minute.
  • Options
    I thought McGregor would only win the trash talking, granted he was caught by surprise so had no rehearsed lines but he didn't even win that last night.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Going to the Press Conference on Friday at Wembley. Not sure what to expect.

Well hopefully they won't turn off McGregor's mic this time, although Mayweather's team are in charge of the promotion so you can't rule it out.
    Was surprised that they're not going to Dublin for a press conference but then i read that Mayweather, bless him, actually refused to go there.
  • Options
    Didnt Mayweather pull out a $100m uncashed cheque?. no wonder he has money worries. I believe in the US you have 6 months to cash a cheque after that it doesnt have to be honoured!!!

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Seem to be an awful lot of boxing experts in here who don't care about it yet are desperate to give their opinions.

I wonder what the excuses will be when Conor knocks him out.

There are very, very few things I would consider my self expert in, but knowledge and understanding of boxing is one of them - it's been a life passion of mine. I care about the integrity (what's left) of boxing as a noble art - so consider it appropriate to offer my opinion.

Even £50 with you - you have McGregor, I have Mayweather. Loser donates the £50 to The Upbeats. Are we on? :)
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Seem to be an awful lot of boxing experts in here who don't care about it yet are desperate to give their opinions.

Whilst you can never rule anything out in sport, it'd probably be the biggest upset in the history of boxing if a guy who's never boxed professionally beats one of the greatest of all time who hasn't lost in 49 fights across 20 years.

Incidentally, what makes you think McGregor can do what the likes of Pacquaio, Alvarez, Mosley, Cotto and de la Hoya couldn't do?
  • Options
  • Options
    if connor did land a big blow then its possible,

connor mcgregor isn't even undefeated in mma; 21-3 , mayweather is 49-0 i just cant see it although mayweathers last 7 fights have been decided on decision, i think mcgregor will tire quickly get caught off guard and get knocked out in the 4th or 5th.

• Options

connor mcgregor isn't even undefeated in mma; 21-3 , mayweather is 49-0 i just cant see it although mayweathers last 7 fights have been decided on decision, i think mcgregor will tire quickly get caught off guard and get knocked out in the 4th or 5th.

Most MMA fighters are not undefeated. Though I cannot see Mcgregor even getting close to winning this fight, it's not because he has lost 3 MMA fights. Indeed I thought it strange that Mayweather went down the 'Mr Tapout' route last night, because if he ever got in the Octagon I would say he would be submitted in less than a minute by most MMA fighters.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Punchers chance for McGregor, if he is fit enough for 12 then Mayweather will suss him and out-box him for UD win. That's my 2 cents on the matter :)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I think Mayweather will decide when to stop the fight and may well allow it to go on for a few rounds.

Of course it's possible that McGregor could catch Mayweather cold at the very start, and I mean within the first few seconds, but his power as a puncher compared to the timing and delivery of a professional boxer (and not just any professional boxer) is naturally limited - and Mayweather can take a punch! Also remember McGregor is fighting probably the best defence I've ever seen in a boxer.
    He can take a punch too. Was it Mosely that caught him flush early in in the fight? He just grabbed for a few seconds, spoiled the rest of the round and then proceeded to box his opponents head off.

• Options
    Also McGregor is used to banging people over with little mitts on, not padded gloves.
    Don't see how people can predict McGregor can do what Canelo, Pac, De La Hoya etc. (all top top level fighters) couldn't.

Mayweather is one of the best at adapting in the middle of a round too.

Aside from all of that, I think footwork is the biggest factor.

It goes for as long as Floyd wants it to imo.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I think Mayweather will decide when to stop the fight and may well allow it to go on for a few rounds.

Of course it's possible that McGregor could catch Mayweather cold at the very start, and I mean within the first few seconds, but his power as a puncher compared to the timing and delivery of a professional boxer (and not just any professional boxer) is naturally limited - and Mayweather can take a punch! Also remember McGregor is fighting probably the best defence I've ever seen in a boxer.
    He can take a punch too. Was it Mosely that caught him flush early in in the fight? He just grabbed for a few seconds, spoiled the rest of the round and then proceeded to box his opponents head off.

Technically only ever put down once against Hernadez - but that was taking a knee because he hurt his hand. Judah did put him down after a heavy right but it was considered a 'slip'!

Apart from that he's never looked like going down.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

There are very, very few things I would consider my self expert in, but knowledge and understanding of boxing is one of them - it's been a life passion of mine. I care about the integrity (what's left) of boxing as a noble art - so consider it appropriate to offer my opinion.

Even £50 with you - you have McGregor, I have Mayweather. Loser donates the £50 to The Upbeats. Are we on? :)
    Integrity left boxing a long time ago. I used to watch a lot of boxing, I got tired of continually watching mismatches and hyped big fights when really there was only ever one outcome. I got into MMA a few years back now through a friend and partly one of the things I like about it is that the matchups on the whole are a lot more even.

I wasn't digging out you in particular, I've noticed it away from this forum as well in people desperate to give their opinions on this fight yet clearly don't watch boxing regularly enough.

And no thanks to that bet, why would I do that when I can just go and stick £50 on Conor @ 4/1?
  • Options

Also McGregor is used to banging people over with little mitts on, not padded gloves.
    Don't see how people can predict McGregor can do what Canelo, Pac, De La Hoya etc. (all top top level fighters) couldn't.

Again something I don't understand is people confidently talking about the gloves. They are completely different that to confidently predict anything about them is just silly. Yes, MMA use smaller gloves so in theory should be a harder punch when it lands, problem being that as they are smaller then it is a much smaller contact area and thus you have to be a lot more precise. It also means a lot less tape is used under the glove so while yes there is a lot more protection on a boxing glove, you can use a lot more tape to ensure that what is underneath is as hard as a rock.

This is one of the unknowns in a fight full of them. To try and swing it one way just shows a bias to one fighter/sport and using it to fit your own agenda.
  • Options
    @colthe3rd its a discussion about a fight which people are giving there opinions on, that you must even admit is a bit comical, its like getting chris robshawe to play football and be better then cristiano ronaldo, because they both run around
  • Options

@colthe3rd its a discussion about a fight which people are giving there opinions on, that you must even admit is a bit comical, its like getting chris robshawe to play football and be better then cristiano ronaldo, because they both run around

I'd back Robshaw in the tackle though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Again something I don't understand is people confidently talking about the gloves. They are completely different that to confidently predict anything about them is just silly. Yes, MMA use smaller gloves so in theory should be a harder punch when it lands, problem being that as they are smaller then it is a much smaller contact area and thus you have to be a lot more precise. It also means a lot less tape is used under the glove so while yes there is a lot more protection on a boxing glove, you can use a lot more tape to ensure that what is underneath is as hard as a rock.

This is one of the unknowns in a fight full of them. To try and swing it one way just shows a bias to one fighter/sport and using it to fit your own agenda.
    The glove size issue is about leaving the energy created by a punch in the opponent, and the difference in glove size means that you have to alter your punching technique. With no gloves or small gloves, you have a small contact point, this is good, because when you strike you have less area for the energy to dissipate (equal and opposite action), so a 'stabbing' type punch is ideal, works well and so the energy created stays in your opponent. But with bigger boxing gloves the favoured technique is to punch through your opponent, so 'punch and push' if you like, this is because if you 'stab' with a larger boxing glove, the contact surface area is bigger and so much of the energy is lost within the glove, so CM will have to change his punching technique, FW will not, so that is another area where CM will be playing catch up.
    Then they are heavier gloves so you'll have a greater force making contact.
    But you agree that it is an unknown? That's my point, the fact some are so confident in predicting what will happen is what I find odd.

Agree it shouldn't have been made. Boxing fans have no interest in watching from a pure boxing standpoint and MMA fans have no reason to watch either. However, it is intriguing. It's a bit like where were you have those what if chats with mates down the pub. I guess we get the answer to one of those. It's also to watch 2 of the biggest sports stars get to go at it. From a purist perspective I've got no interest, as a novelty and pure intrigue, yeah why the hell not?

My problem comes though when people who have very little knowledge of either sport and/or have dismissed it completely are willing to let everyone else know their opinions. If you don't care then keep your opinions to yourself.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

The glove size issue is about leaving the energy created by a punch in the opponent, and the difference in glove size means that you have to alter your punching technique. With no gloves or small gloves, you have a small contact point, this is good, because when you strike you have less area for the energy to dissipate (equal and opposite action), so a 'stabbing' type punch is ideal, works well and so the energy created stays in your opponent. But with bigger boxing gloves the favoured technique is to punch through your opponent, so 'punch and push' if you like, this is because if you 'stab' with a larger boxing glove, the contact surface area is bigger and so much of the energy is lost within the glove, so CM will have to change his punching technique, FW will not, so that is another area where CM will be playing catch up.
    But you agree that it is an unknown? That's my point, the fact some are so confident in predicting what will happen is what I find odd.

Agree it shouldn't have been made. Boxing fans have no interest in watching from a pure boxing standpoint and MMA fans have no reason to watch either. However, it is intriguing. It's a bit like where were you have those what if chats with mates down the pub. I guess we get the answer to one of those. It's also to watch 2 of the biggest sports stars get to go at it. From a purist perspective I've got no interest, as a novelty and pure intrigue, yeah why the hell not?

My problem comes though when people who have very little knowledge of either sport and/or have dismissed it completely are willing to let everyone else know their opinions. If you don't care then keep your opinions to yourself.
    No that is NOT what I am saying at all. The equation for power is mass x acceleration. The bigger the glove the slower it moves.
    The point I am making is that CM will have to change is punching technique because of the bigger glove.

Also Col, are you trained in any of the fighting arts, its not a loaded question Im just interested?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

No that is NOT what I am saying at all. The equation for power is mass x acceleration. The bigger the glove the slower it moves.
    The point I am making is that CM will have to change is punching technique because of the bigger glove.
    Spot on - Newton's First Law of Motion. I would add though that the acceleration of Mayweather's gloved hands will be more than McGregor has ever achieved with a mitted hand. So a double whammy - heavier handed and more acceleration resulting in massively increased force.

You're point about punching through as opposed to stabbing is also fundamental - by punching through the momentum of the punch is maintained for longer. McGregor won't have had time to change his technique, if indeed that were ever possible.

So not just about gloves, it's as much about punching technique.
  • Options
    I would be amazed if CM managed to land one Left hand on Mayweather in the entire fight.

talk of gloves and technique is all irrelevant, even if McGregor was someone who had solid boxing fundamentals and technique along with a decent amateur pedigree, he would still stand very little chance in this fight.

The fact is, he doesn't. he will be carried for a some rounds (maybe all 12) and will not be competitive at any stage unless this is all completely fixed.

For the record, if this were an MMA fight then Mayweather wouldn't even last 1 minute.

I'm sure the build up will be entertaining though.
  • Options
    elcafc said:

I would be amazed if CM managed to land one Left hand on Mayweather in the entire fight.

talk of gloves and technique is all irrelevant, even if McGregor was someone who had solid boxing fundamentals and technique along with a decent amateur pedigree, he would still stand very little chance in this fight.

The fact is, he doesn't. he will be carried for a some rounds (maybe all 12) and will not be competitive at any stage unless this is all completely fixed.

For the record, if this were an MMA fight then Mayweather wouldn't even last 1 minute.

If this were an MMA fight Mayweather wouldn't have taken it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

elcafc said:

Mayweather said to McGregor yesterday that the octagon was next. McGregor laughed at him and told him to stop talking about stuff he wouldn't honour.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

elcafc said:

Mayweather said to McGregor yesterday that the octagon was next. McGregor laughed at him and told him to stop talking about stuff he wouldn't honour.
    It sells tickets!!

Of course he wouldn't honour it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Spot on - Newton's First Law of Motion. I would add though that the acceleration of Mayweather's gloved hands will be more than McGregor has ever achieved with a mitted hand. So a double whammy - heavier handed and more acceleration resulting in massively increased force.

You're point about punching through as opposed to stabbing is also fundamental - by punching through the momentum of the punch is maintained for longer. McGregor won't have had time to change his technique, if indeed that were ever possible.

So not just about gloves, it's as much about punching technique.
    Based on?

On and it isn't Newton's first law. Pseudo scientists in here now!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

elcafc said:

It sells tickets!!

Of course he wouldn't honour it.
    Definitely sells tickets but a lot of people will be on his back to honour it, especially when you consider how much he has rubbished MMA.