Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation Battle League 1 2017

Comments

• Options
    I think we'll be okay. Should have enough points on the board plus be able to pick up enough points between now and the end of the season

Will be tight though
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The Championship is one of the toughest and most unforgiving leagues in the world though and it didn't take much to cause catastrophe. This is different. We're playing ok now and we have a decent squad for the league. I don't see how we'd get relegated, especially with our run-in.

6 points from our last 10 league games. If that's playing ok, then i'd hate for us to go on a bad run!
  • Options
    Can I say with a heavy heart, with RD at the helm I couldn't care less...
  • Options
    We are now relying on too many factors for us to go down now...

* Are SIX clubs below ALL going to catch us with 7 games left who are fighting relegation?
    * Are we not going to not get a small handful of points?
    * Are Port Vale going to win ALL their games in hand?
    * Is our goal difference going to take a freak knock?

I knew performances would always turn around.
  • Options

* Are SIX clubs below ALL going to catch us with 7 games left who are fighting relegation?

There are several teams below us who only need to get 1 point for each of their games in hand to put us within 3 points of relegation with 7 games left, I think. That, to me, is a high risk situation
  • Options

There are several teams below us who only need to get 1 point for each of their games in hand to put us within 3 points of relegation with 7 games left, I think. That, to me, is a high risk situation
    * And what are the chances of al these games in hand all NOT being lost?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Our last four games will be against three already-relegated teams and rubbish Gillingham. We'll be fine.

While I agree that we should not, at the end of the season, be any less than 14th, it's still anpis poor position to be in.
  • Options

It's not performances that need turning around, it's results.
  • Options
    I still think there is a 50 / 50 chance of us going down..... We are not comfortable as many seem to think and the toxic situation we have at the Valley and around the club in general is something that will put us at a disadvantage versus the clubs below us.
  • Options
    Final fixtures left...

Port Vale
    Coventry City | MK Dons | AFC Wimbledon | Chesterfield
    Sheffield United | Oxford United | Bolton Wanderers | Fleetwood Town | Walsall

Shrewsbury Town
    Bolton Wanderers | Bristol Rovers | Millwall | Rochdale
    Walsall | Northampton Town | Southend United | Oxford United

Oldham Athletic
    Sheffield United | Southend United | Fleetwood Town | Bolton Wanderers
    Bristol Rovers | Rochdale | AFC Wimbledon

Gillingham
    Peterborough United | MK Dons | Millwall | Bristol Rovers
    Charlton Athletic | Fleetwood Town | Northampton Town

Bury
    Fleetwood Town | Oxford United | Bradford City | Rochdale
    Bolton Wanderers | Northampton Town | Southend United

Milton Keynes Dons
    Port Vale | Gillingham | Swindon Town | Scunthorpe United
    Southend United | Sheffield United | Walsall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From us

Peterborough L
    MK Dons W
    Southend D
    Coventry W
    Gillingham D
    Chesterfield D
    Swindon D

Meaning another 10 points
  • Options
    I love that video - never tire of seeing it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I still think there is a 50 / 50 chance of us going down..... We are not comfortable as many seem to think and the toxic situation we have at the Valley and around the club in general is something that will put us at a disadvantage versus the clubs below us.

Plus playing against teams who have been in a relegation battle mentality for the whole season.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Port Vale. Have three teams left to face who are in Play-Off / Promotion contention... they've only managed two wins on the trot once all season. And have gained 11-points against the current top six.

Shrewsbury Town. Have four teams left to face who are in Play-Off / Promotion contention... they've won back to back games on three occasions this season, yet against the current top six they've just 7-points

Oldham Athletic. Have five teams left to face who are in Play-Off / Promotion contention... they've only won back to back games once all season and have gained just four points against the current top six.

Gillingham. Have three teams left to face who are in the Play-Off / Promotion contention... They've won back to back matches on three occasions this season and have gained 12-points against the current top six.

Bury. Have four teams left to face who are in the Play-Off / Promotion contentors, since they recovered from their back run they won three games on the trot yet have just 2-points against the current top six.

Milton Keynes Dons. Have three teams left to face who are in the Play-Off / Promotion contention, twice they've won back to back games this season and against the current top six they've gained 6-points.

Charlton Athletic. We've just the one match left against a side who are in Play-Off / Promotion contention, we've won back to back matches on two occasions this season and whilst Saturday was our first defeat against current top six teams, we've gained 11-points from facing those sides.

*I've covered off just current top six who are there at the moment just because it'll be harder to go back and check to see when everyone played everyone to see if their opposition at the time were a Play-Off side.

In regards to those in Play-Off contention I've gone down to Bristol Rovers in 8th who are just three points behind 6th.

On paper you'd say we're fine yet its recent results that leave it remaining in the balance, i.e. defeats against three of those sides mean that despite facing Chesterfield | Coventry | Swindon I'd actually prefer to be facing Play-Off side as is customary for Charlton and the way we perform against stronger teams - How our relegation rivals cope against them will be a different manner though and I fully expect most of the points to be won by the stronger side as they wont want to drop anything in their hope for promotion.

Most interesting in another sense is the fact that Fleetwood end their season against the majority of these teams so could be the side to watch in the chase for second (Sheffield United have the title) and even if they miss out, could have the form going into the Play-Offs.
  • Options
    First time I've looked at the league table for three weeks or so.

Was surprised to see we were only 6 points above relegation. I thought it was a bit more comfortable than that.

If we lose our next three games the pressure could be on.

It's disgusting to see the position we are in.

Out of interest why do 3 teams go down in the PL and championship but 4 teams go down in league one?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The Championship is one of the toughest and most unforgiving leagues in the world though and it didn't take much to cause catastrophe. This is different. We're playing ok now and we have a decent squad for the league. I don't see how we'd get relegated, especially with our run-in.

Number of Championship places: 24
    Number of Championship relegation slots: 3
    Percentage of Championship teams relegated each season: 12.5

Number of League One places: 24
    Number of League One relegation slots: 4
    Percentage of League One teams relegated each season: 16.7

I think you'll find that it's League One that's tougher and less forgiving.
  • Options
    We are averaging, under Robinson, just about a point a game which would give us 54 points and I can't see that any teams have ever been relegated from the 3rd flight of English football with that number of points. We're probably more than capable of breaking that record though!
  • Options
    We've enough in the tank to ensure mid-table mediocrity this season, but even after the car-crash that was last year, would any of us really have been happy to know we would have finished there and not be pushing top third at worst? And whatever Robinson claims, he will have managed for the majority of the campaign and had one transfer window to play with.

So, how many of us believe that he can (or more importantly has the managerial ability) to turn things round to such an extent that we will be pushing for promotion next season?
  • Options
    Effectively 7 points with goal diff
  • Options
    The thing is, KR has won 4 in about 20, so how many does that equate to in the remaining 8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Admittedly Vale's games in hand could easily muster 4 points but usually the team doing the chasing in situations like this would falter. We'll be alright comfortably.

FLW
    ?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The thing is, KR has won 4 in about 20, so how many does that equate to in the remaining 8

Relegation teams are renowned for a fight to the death and can sometimes come up with a surprise result or 2.

Port Vale, despite their nasty run in playing 3 promotion chasing teams in their final 4 fixtures, might do just enough to save themselves with their games in hand if they win them.

But not all the other strugglers will win - they have to play each other and teams from the promotion pack.

Really it's in our own hands. We've a job to do, 8 matches left - and with a better balance in the side now and a recently much improved team ethic, I'd be very surprised if we didn't win at least 2 games plus a handful of draws.

And if we picked up 5 points in our next 3 games (we'd need shooting if we didn't), all this current knicker-wetting will have seemed a bit premature.

• Options
    We will be safe. Jason Pearce will be back to sure up the defence.

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201703&date=20170321&time=0612

• Options
    I wonder which game the Covered End start singing " We are staying up" after we take a 1-0 lead.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

* And what are the chances of al these games in hand all NOT being lost?
    They don't need to do that. They only need to win 1 from 3 and lose or draw the rest or draw all 3.
  • Options
    Half an hour gone no goals thus far at the Ricoh neither keeper troubled Coventry holding their own v Port Vale.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Kyle Reid causing a few problems for the Vale defence just crashed into defender Street who is struggling and could give Bikey a chance to enter the fray.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    And Reid scores cov 1 vale 0 wonder strike top corner.
  • Options
    Oh yeah