Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Magennis - CONFIRMED SIGNING (Two Year Deal/Undisclosed Fee, pg.5)

edited August 2016 in General Charlton
Apologies if already posted elsewhere

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36993015

Northern Ireland international apparently.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know anything about him so I did a bit of reading on the Kilmarnock site. Most people tend to agree that he wants to leave and that they should be getting around 150k - 200k for him. He's not consistent enough and is a better athlete than he is a footballer.

He can play a number of positions but is most comfortable upfront. He's not the best finisher and in general his technical ability isn't that great. One poster mentioned it takes him about 6 touches to get the ball under control.

It doesn't say much for Kilmarnock but he is apparently (despite the above) one of the better players they have. They'll miss his work rate and pace more than anything and his long throw comes in handy as well.
  • Options
    Is he the one that started as a keeper?
  • Options

Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes. He let so many in that his coach at the time felt he'd be a tremendous goal scorer and stuck him up front.
  • Options
    The Irish Pawel Abbott
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

The Irish Pawel Abbott

I was thinking he sounds more like Akpo Sodje.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Daddy_Pig said:

The Irish Pawel Abbott

I just looked up his wiki and saw he played for Aberdeen so compared his record to Simon Church.

Simon Church scored 6 in 13. A goal rate of 2.15ish.

Josh Magennis scored 10 in 98 so a goal rate of 9.8.

It appears he is the most Charltonised player on the planet and he hasn't even played for us yet. Even Carl Leaburn's strike rate (at a comparatively higher level) is nearly half that of Magennis.
  • Options
    Big, powerful striker who will run all day long.

Not great technically, pretty erratic finisher and actually isn't that great in the air.

Not the best signing but he's better than nothing as our third choice striker. I think we could do better.
  • Options
    Sounds like an Iwelumo type player. Big, athletic and capable of either turning in a towering performance or missing from two yards. Perfect for League One. As the season progresses in L1 even the best teams stop playing silky football and start lumping it through fatigue and strain. He'll be really useful at that point if we're challenging and need to grind out ugly wins. Think Oldham away and Walsall at home in our winning season
  • Options
    However, even if erratic, he has, internationally at least, an ability to score important goals.

Take a look at Northern Ireland's qualification route to Euro 16.

You won't get an established 20 goal a season man for the amount mentioned, even from Scotland.
  • Options
    We are really going to rip this league.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Daddy_Pig said:

The Irish Pawel Abbott

Hmmm ...... thinking back, Akpo did a job for us at this level.

If this fella signs, he'll give us useful depth to the squad and options up front - physical, pacy and a real handful for defenders.
    Something different from our more lightweight but perhaps more skilful front runners.

It's not just about the abilities of the individual player though. more what his contribution brings to the team as a whole.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless coaching can improve his technical ability, this player doesn't sound very good. Pace is good but an ability to control, head the ball and shoot is also needed. So basically a lump at the front with some pace, who may help with route one football, by the sound of it. Not excited by this potential signing. Peterborough had a million pound bid turned down for a striker. Charlton are fishing in small ponds these days.
  • Options
    Sounds like someone that could offer a real threat from the bench when defenders are tiring. Creating space for the likes of Ajose and Holmes. If he signs he won't be first choice. We need a squad and it sounds like he's not costing a lot.
  • Options
    Sounds like he wants to leave Scotland.

Even a lot of Jocks want to do that!

• Options
    I would have looked at Barnet's John Akinde
  • Options
    Serious question. He is an ex keeper, how often is a sub keeper used? Would you have him as an emergency sub keeper. Gives you 7 outfield dubs, oh wait, we haven't got 7 outfield subs.

A few years back, I would have had Taylor as our sub keeper/centre back
  • Options
    I wonder.....Rudd gets sent off, Phillips then gets injured. Wembley Play Off Final. Magennis does a Sasa Ilic and becomes a legend.
  • Options
    He's a big fucker.