Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Maccabi Petah Tikva | Tue 19 July | 5pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Maccabi Petah Tikva
Tuesday 19th July 2016 … 5pm Kick-Off (BST)
Pre-Season Friendly

Introduction

Greetings once again from Austria… Having jetted out to Austria for the opening of our two games, it was time to instantly return home, now having clocked up more air-miles than Nick Pope it’s time to once again pack up my bags and make another return to the House of Habsburg.

Depending on who you listen to, Saturday was an average run out for the Addicks… Rather than playing two different squads in each half it was a case of seeing a side that could well start against Bury in just three weeks… Anzhi were understandably quicker to the ball than their English counter parts (having started their pre-season a lot sooner), yet tomorrow night should see a better performance from Charlton, they’re three games into their own pre-season and with just four fixtures left… Time is running out.

Of course I’m not really in Austria, yet hopefully this Tuesday night we’re rewarded (if that’s what you can call it) with another stream of another thriller as our pre-season continues against: Maccabi Petah Tikva

The Opposition
Name: Maccabi Petah Tikva | Manager: Kobi Refua
League: Israeli Premier League

It’s a risky business writing these Match Previews that’s for sure… Having written my last for a Russian side, I was walking home and having been intercepted by the KGB I was told of that they approved of my last write up… Tonight don’t be surprised if I’m a bit twitchy walking home as I look to avoid the wrath of Mossad.

Firstly… Maccabi, why do cities like Petah Tikva and Tel Aviv have this title ahead of their name, quite simply it’s a Jewish organisation whose mission is to promote Jewish Identity through Sport (Now you know)

On to our opposition though and Maccabi Petah Tikva are a side newly promoted to the top flight of Israeli Football having achieved promotion via the confusing play-off system that exists in Israeli Football… It’s not their first season in the Premier League yet despite finishing as runners-up on three occasions they’ve never won the league title.

They’re currently owned by Amos Luzon (hmm) and have twice been managed by our very own Guy Luzon, who in his first spell as Manager took Petah Tikva to the UEFA Cup (two separate occasions)… My knowledge of Israeli Football is even worse than Russian and to my knowledge Charlton will be their first ever English opponents (although I could be very wrong as their website appears even worse than our own).

Team News
In his post-match interview: Russell Slade believes that we’ve got plenty to build upon following our defeat against Anzhi… Of course the main area we need to build upon appears to be within the Goalkeeping department, with Nick Pope on the verge of joining Burnley and Stephen Henderson rumoured to be interesting Nottingham Forest, the man who starts in goal against Bury will be very debatable.

Three other players we’re yet to see are Harry Lennon and Patrick Bauer who are recovering from injury whilst Ademola Lookman remains on International Duty with England after our U19s advanced to the Semi-Finals, he’ll become available after 24th July (at the latest if England defeat Italy in their next game) yet will no doubt be up to fitness after playing 75-minutes in the last two matches... Neither Chris Solly nor Nick Ajose appeared against Anzhi so hopefully both First-Teamers will appear tomorrow.

Do people seriously expect me to report on the Maccabi squad? - Yup thought so… Having come up from the 2nd tier none of the squad represent the Israel National Team (Although there are a number who have played for their U21s)… The Captain is well known Midfielder: Joachim Mununga who won a single cap for the DR Congo in 2011 whilst Viorel Nicoara earned one cap for Romania (Also in 2011).

Prediction
It’s also virtually impossible to confirm who might come out on top in this fixture… The websites that I rely upon (and so make it look like I’m the font of all knowledge) say that we’re Maccabi’s only pre-season friendly for this season (whilst we’re their first since a 0-0 draw with Vardar of Macedonia since 2014)… The Ligat Ha’Al (Israeli Premier League) doesn’t kick off though until 20th August so on this occasion you’d expect the Addicks to be ahead of their opponents in terms of pre-season fitness

Please note that a Match Preview will be created for Dulwich Hamlet tomorrow for those who don’t wish to travel to Austria.

Comments

• Options
    No Midfielders = defeat or possibly a 0-0 draw
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options

Aren't Maccabi playing away ?
  • Options

Yet so are we... ;)
  • Options

Got to be a 4-4 draw then.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Just hope we remember to wear the sports bras.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    A thunderous, rip-roaring, ding-dong battle for the ages, culminating in a spectacular, once in a lifetime, breathlessly enchanting 0-0. Can't wait to eagerly punish my F5 button every few seconds throughout the evening, reading every snippet, desperately marauding through the ether of the internet, searching out the elusive elixir that is a stream from a shoddy smartphone, made by a chap perched precariously upon the ramshackle roof of the footballing Mecca that is the Hans Krogger Stadium.
  • Options
    great write up .. impossible to predict as you have written .. hopefully (and I am sure that it's the case), big Russ is developing opinions about who and how to play .. come on youse Addicksaaaaaahhhh !! ((:>)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Maccabi are owned buy Guy Luzon's relative... Maybe.

Maccabi were the 4th best team from the selection of Maccabi teams last year.

Maccabi finished 7th overall in the premier league (of Israel)

Other Maccabi's include:

Tel Aviv
    Haifa
    and Natanya
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only Maccabi Natanya and Maccabi Petah Tikva have not won the league out of Maccabi teams.
  • Options
    Origin of the concept 'Maccabi'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabees
  • Options
    Right. So who are we cocking it up against next?
  • Options
    Who's in goal?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Who's in goal?

Kevin Nugent
  • Options
    Is Ajose fit now?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Is Ajose fit now?

Seeing we werent even told he was injured...
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Is Ajose fit now?

Nope. OS preview says he is still struggling and doubtful.

No mention of Watt.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Is Ajose fit now?

Nope. OS preview says he is still struggling and doubtful.

No mention of Watt.
    Oops smart arse Forever Addickted
  • Options
    with a rookie in goal, RJ at centre half, no creative midfielder, and only Novak available up front we will do well to get 0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder if we'll see the same team from Saturday:
    ......Hendo (Mitov now)
    Buxton...Tex...Johnson....Fox
    Harriot....Foley...Crofts....Jackson
    .................Holmes
    .................Nowak

Doesn't exactly expire confidence, does it? Foley as a holding midfielder feels like we're shoehorning him in. Jacko on the left...I don't have words really. Would like to see Foley dropped, Jackson moved central, and either KAG starting up from or CC brought in and playing as a #10.

Wait, did we even bring KAG to Austria?
  • Options
    Real Charlton know it's all about Dulwich tonight !
  • Options
    Unless there is a stream.
    No stream it's Dulwich, a stream will make getting to Champion Hill very difficult indeed.
  • Options

Still no Ajose. Henderson not even on the bench. No Solly.

Season starts in 18 days.

I'm sure Katy has it all under control.

I took all that to mean Hendo is definitely off. Crikey it looks beyond slim.
  • Options

Still no Ajose. Henderson not even on the bench. No Solly.

Season starts in 18 days.

I'm sure Katy has it all under control.

It sounds like Solly and Ajose have "knocks" rather than injuries, which probably means it's not worth risking them in a meaningless pre-season game, but wouldn't read much more into it.

That said, a defense of Buxton, RoJo, Foley, and Fox is depressing, as is our midfield which desperately lacks passing and ingenuity. Given we're favorites in the league, a lot of teams will set up to make themselves hard to break down. I was at times critical of SCP with his tactics when in possession, but he did at least have Stephens, and Hollands who could both pick a pass.

Hopeful that Umerah shows something. Wouldn't mind if a combination of him, Hanlan, and maybe KAG (who might be better off going out on loan) are our fourth striker. It means we'd still need at least one more forward given Watt is leaving.
  • Options
    Will not be paying to watch that team this season that is for sure... i know players want to move on but you need to have the replacements ready and i don't trust that they do.