Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    Given Diarra is now history, I'd have him back at a L1 salary.
  • Options
    What an utter waste.

Left us flying high on confidence, player of the year, settled and a very bright future. To being a sad sorry sight.

I don't want him back because it is not down to us to pick him up so he can then move on again to a bigger club (shown his character/thinking). But i genuinely do hope he finds his flow again, because as a football fan who is proud of our academy, I would want to know he is more than a one hit wonder.
  • Options

He was absolutely appalling in the loan spell last year. So much so, that at Colchester I was wondering whether West Ham had sent a chimp in a Diego Poyet costume.

Has gobbed off several times since he jumped ship. Based on that and hie crap he now looks I teally don't want him back here.

I disagree, he looks much better now that he's cut his hair
  • Options
    Bring him back sale him on again; that would be the regimes way would it not. 2 transfer fees for the price of one. Seriously there is a player in there
  • Options

Exactly this, now Diarra has left signing Poyet would be a good piece of business so long as he came in and worked hard, which I am sure Slade would make sure he did.
  • Options
    Don't think RD is very keen on adding to the wages bill. He's still fuming that Texeira and Ba are pulling down unearned dish.
  • Options
    I can't remember which game it was, Brentford or Fulham maybe, where Cousins got the armband and looked a hell of a player, like he'd moved on a level or grown up a bit. I think he was developing all the time, and we took it for granted that he was a midfield stalwart (he's 22!).

I kinda feel he is an average player working very, very hard to be better, whereas Poyet looked like a talent that could go further if he applied himself. Maybe it's about opportunity - Poyet had plenty given his surname. Maybe Cousins had to work harder because of that.

• Options
    Sage said:

Exactly this, now Diarra has left signing Poyet would be a good piece of business so long as he came in and worked hard, which I am sure Slade would make sure he did.
    Only issue is that he was here last year and we don't know what sort of impression he gave the senior players like Jackson and Solly as well as the coaches who are still here.

If his attitude was wrong they might warn Slade off.

Would be a shame as there WAS clearly a real talent there but he's damaged goods now having not really done it at MK Dons, Hudds (under Powell) or here 2nd time around.
  • Options
    a years contract at Div 1 wages --last chance----might work
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For Diego Poyet, see John Bostock who left Palace too early(career wise)

Not sure if it is a problem between the ears but Poyet was the player who got the ball from the back and would carry and distribute cleanly to the forwards or wingers or attacking full backs. He did this well the first time around at CAFC and won the POTY because of his consistency.

I can't believe Gus can't help with want ever issues have happened in the last 2 years, whether lack of confidence or any off the field influences.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

I'd take Poyet back in a heartbeat. Should be able to run a game in this league. Was poor last season but can't forget how good he was first time round.

No way!

Wouldn't sign a contract with us, thought the grass was greener elsewhere, left us and we got peanuts for him!

Came back last year and was shite, why on earth would we want him or need him?
    Yeah I mean why would want to sign on a free our 13/14 championship player of the year winner in his first debut season at the age of 19??
    No denying he was a great player in that season, but he should have stayed with us and learnt his trade.

Instead of that he went for the bright lights of West Ham faded into mediocrity, got loaned out several times and in the end couldn't even get in MK Dons first team!

He came to us last year was awful and was basically another total waste of money as he didn't play in the end.

So now you want him back, even on a free, once again to waste more of our wage budget!

Rather have Crofts all day long!

What is it with CL and wanting ex players back all the time?
    This. So very much.
    If someone did well why on earth would you not want them back? No one is asking for crap players to return, just the good ones.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

I'd take Poyet back in a heartbeat. Should be able to run a game in this league. Was poor last season but can't forget how good he was first time round.

No way!

Wouldn't sign a contract with us, thought the grass was greener elsewhere, left us and we got peanuts for him!

Yeah I mean why would want to sign on a free our 13/14 championship player of the year winner in his first debut season at the age of 19??
    No denying he was a great player in that season, but he should have stayed with us and learnt his trade.

Instead of that he went for the bright lights of West Ham faded into mediocrity, got loaned out several times and in the end couldn't even get in MK Dons first team!

He came to us last year was awful and was basically another total waste of money as he didn't play in the end.

So now you want him back, even on a free, once again to waste more of our wage budget!

This. So very much.
    If someone did well why on earth would you not want them back? No one is asking for crap players to return, just the good ones.
    He already has returned. And was desperately disappointing, that's the issue.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

No way!

This. So very much.
    He already has returned. And was desperately disappointing, that's the issue.
    I was referring to this sentence K&F: "What is it with CL and wanting ex players back all the time?".
  • Options
    Get him back in. He chased the money and the premier league dream. It didn't work out. So what ? Better to be an old has been than a never was.
  • Options

a years contract at Div 1 wages --last chance----might work

Month to month surely - why take the risk and I suspect he needs a bit of pressure on him to perform as well as he can until he grows up.
  • Options
    He was terrible on loan for us - was like the invisible man. Hard to believe it was the same player.
  • Options
    I suspect when he came back on loan the club was in such a state it was hard to perform, we also don't know if Riga wanted to play him.

I would think he would be ideal now.
  • Options
    The Diego Poyet we saw when he broke through would be ideal. Problem being. That player has not been seen for two years or more. Risk.
  • Options

I suspect when he came back on loan the club was in such a state it was hard to perform, we also don't know if Riga wanted to play him.

I would think he would be ideal now.

At the time most people would have though the presence of Riga would have been a benefit for him, seeing that his breakthrough was under Riga (and Fraeye!)

The likes of Tex, Motta and Fanni all played well under Riga, indeed Harriott did ok when he came back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the same Prague for mk and Huddersfield
    When he left us be sure he believed he was better than playing for us. Ending up at two teams we had beaten and are Imo better than irrelevant of current league status he couldn't handle it

Imo he was a great prospect played well calm on the ball but gave it away cheaply and in dangerous positions he was no shelvey, solly gomez, cousins if we are honest,

He was a cracking player for us when he came in he showed a prowess on the ball that I genuinely hadn't seen since shelvey when in possession, BUT he would be more prone to looking for the worldy, making sure his hair bounced ala keegan and lapsed in concentration Atleast once or twice a half, which I had no issue with due to it being part and parcel of watching him grow and due to his age,

Like all confident young men didn't care about that and just kept on plugging away and rightly won poty

However his ego is damaged his confidence knocked and now looks as much of a prospect as tamer tuna
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Seems Poyet had a move to Argentina sorted but it fell through due to local rules.

Can't upload Twitter but from his account he says he was going to join San Lorenzo (which is considered to be a top five club in Argentina.)

Their season started on 26 August which was around the time Wet Spam terminated his contract.

Edited to add: I wonder what the "rules there are"? Were local football rules regarding the number of foreign players or issues getting a work permit the problem?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Seems Poyet had a move to Argentina sorted but it fell through due to local rules.

Can't upload Twitter but from his account he says he was going to join San Lorenzo (which is considered to be a top five club in Argentina.)

Their season started on 26 August which was around the time Wet Spam terminated his contract.

Edited to add: I wonder what the "rules there are"? Were local football rules regarding the number of foreign players or issues getting a work permit the problem?

top five clubs can't have shit players.
  • Options
    Slade was asked about us getting Poyet and his response was along the lines of needing to get the right fit.

In other words, he ain't coming back. Move on.
  • Options

Slade was asked about us getting Poyet and his response was along the lines of needing to get the right fit.

In other words, he ain't coming back. Move on.

Agreed, everyone seems to forget how rubbish he was last season when he came in on loan!
  • Options
    He will end up getting a gig at lower level club (not us). He probably needs to start again and work his way up. Shame, because when he first broke in to the first team at Charlton he looked quality. Greed got the better of him.
  • Options
    Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko 7m7 minutes ago
    Derby. Taking an interest in Diego Poyet. Free agent.
  • Options

Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko 7m7 minutes ago
    Derby. Taking an interest in Diego Poyet. Free agent.

Isn't CP still there as Assistant manager? Would make sense if he can get him playing well again