Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    99 minutes of premiership football.
  • Options
    He made a bad decision and it has totally backfired on him I hope our youngsters take note. Well done for lookman staying and not jumping at the chance to be in the premier league.
  • Options
    Dunno if I would take him back given the world's longest dip in form, and on top of that the second he plays a few big games and the big clubs start showing a bit of ankle he will be wanting to move and writing realty cryptic Twitter posts about how "all will be revealed" etc.

Was a great footballer, unfortunately a bit of a mug too, who knows though maybe he considers his time at West Ham a good learning experience.
  • Options
    Very disappointing. I hope he finds his form again. I can only guess he completely lost his confidence when pitched in with the premier league players. I thought he was great in his cameo with us.
  • Options
    Wonder what the chances of him joining Real Betis are?
  • Options
    He will have a club lined up. It may well be he thought he was better than he actually was and the realisation he didn't have it has knocked his confidence. You also get a few players who basically give up once they realise they are not top tier material.
  • Options
    If Slade had him on trial and SLADE wanted to sign him I’d support him coming back as there is a player in there however, I don’t believe that is even a possibility and that doesn’t really bother me either way if I’m honest.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    colthe3rd said:

A big fuck up on his part. I don't have any sympathy. Showed some potential but I always thought people were over exaggerating how good he actually was. I hope he can rebuild his career though but it does always seem very hard for players to do so after something like this. I wouldn't want him back.

His contributions in 2014 were valuable, but nowhere as much as some were saying at the time. Powell set him up to play a role which played to his somewhat limited qualities - sit in front of the back 4 and spray passes around. I think Kevin Foley could probably do that pretty well. More positive contributions did occur - but there were relatively few assists and of course no goals.

The Sheff Utd game summed him up in a way, a tidy enough performance but when we needed a bit extra it wasn't there. OK, he was just starting out so we can forgive that - but I'm not especially surprised that he's failed top push on. Nor will I be if Jordan Cousins morphs into a journeyman 2nd-tier grafter, another Foley or Crofts (there's no shame in this, a decent career - but not a Parker, a Gomez or a Lookman IMO).

We've always been a selling club, and often for relatively little cash, and hence we're often fed up when they go. But mostly we are only selling potential, and it's easy to believe the hype about our youth products. It was a reasonable gamble on West Ham's part, peanuts in the overall scheme of things. And Poyet hasn't done too badly, he could find a team in L1 or L2 if he's willing to swallow his pride.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Take note tomorrows Premierships stars of The Charlton Farm.
  • Options
    Critical moment in his career. Was exceptional when he broke through but was badly advised and perhaps bought into the hype and pedigree of his surname as did others.

Unfortunate that the club was in (and still is) turmoil back then. I think if Powell had stayed he just might have been persuaded to remain.

Important that he gets the next move right. Now has a reputation as a failure and he might never get his head right as a consequence.

Little possibility of him returning to Charlton but I really do think that would be his best place to get his head right and rebuild in a comfortable environment.

Not crying about it though. He probably has more money than I'll ever see but I hope he gets it right.
  • Options
    F off is he welcome back!

He showed little to no effort last season when we gave him an opportunity to rediscover his former self.

He is all about effort and has limited skill as such he wasn't nearly good enough.

He can jog on.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

I'd take Poyet back in a heartbeat. Should be able to run a game in this league. Was poor last season but can't forget how good he was first time round.

No way!

Wouldn't sign a contract with us, thought the grass was greener elsewhere, left us and we got peanuts for him!

Came back last year and was shite, why on earth would we want him or need him?
    Yeah I mean why would want to sign on a free our 13/14 championship player of the year winner in his first debut season at the age of 19??
    No denying he was a great player in that season, but he should have stayed with us and learnt his trade.

Instead of that he went for the bright lights of West Ham faded into mediocrity, got loaned out several times and in the end couldn't even get in MK Dons first team!

He came to us last year was awful and was basically another total waste of money as he didn't play in the end.

So now you want him back, even on a free, once again to waste more of our wage budget!

Rather have Crofts all day long!

What is it with CL and wanting ex players back all the time?
    This. So very much.
  • Options
    He played in a limited team but also a squad of competitive champ pros. You can only get any benefit from him if he's in a cm 3. It would be madness to play him with crofts, foley or jackson: maybe 4 years ago with those players. In a 442 I'd want him at least two continents away.
  • Options
    Poyet needs the energy of a player like Cousins around him. We don't have that anymore. I imagine he's already got a club sorted.
  • Options
    I can easily imagine him showing up at Sparrows Lane, "just to keep his fitness levels up"...
  • Options
    Joins a long line of players chasing the Premiership dream way to early in their careers and have no sympathy for him whatsoever and wouldn't want him back either
  • Options

I can easily imagine him showing up at Sparrows Lane, "just to keep his fitness levels up"...

and i wouldn't be unhappy about that.
  • Options

Well, he can pay to join a gym like everybody else.

Comments on here about him being a playmaker and a great player crack me up. He was a good shield in front of the defence. Nothing more. He couldn't pass the ball forward, play an assist or score goals. The killer though is his lack of pace. I still can't quite believe anybody voted for him in POTY. Cousins was streets ahead in ability and played for the whole season.

If he actually enjoys playing football - something I doubt - he deserves no more than a gig in a decent non-league team. After all that abuse about other players. Karma.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We also have Konza who can play the sitting role and given we have six CHs, may get a chance there.
  • Options

and i wouldn't be unhappy about that.
    As long as he pays his subs.
  • Options
    Obviously, Cousins' energy and willing has seen him go to a good Championship side, whereas Poyet's lack of energy and willing has seen him fold, so it's not like Cousins doesn't have ultimately more durable qualities. A great shame, though.
  • Options
    On aspect of Poyets game that I always liked when he first broke through was how fit and strong he was in the latter stages of games where other players were clearly feeling tired.
    He was able to have a massive influence on seeing games out in that first spell.
  • Options
    I wonder if Poyet will go to Spain, as his style of measured, but slightly languid football may be better suited out there than the more physical and pacey English game? His father is at Betis
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I wonder if Poyet will go to Spain, as his style of measured, but slightly languid sitting on a bench may be better suited out there than the more physical and pacey English bench-sitting? His father is at Betis

• Options
    I seem to have a different view on this than many others. Obviously with hindsight it's easier to be right. I thought West Ham would be a good move for him - relative to Chelsea or some of the others being mentioned.

Clearly if he'd stayed with us I'd have been most happy, but I thought he'd get a real chance at West Ham - they had struggled a bit the season before he went there and they needed players that could do what he did. Unfortunately, for him, they signed Alex Song from Barcelona after Poyet signed which certainly put him one place further down the pecking order.

We will never know what would have happened had he played more games at the start at West Ham. There is no doubt, in my mind, from his Twitter posts, that he was, shall we say, very confident in his abilities. I was under the impression that he thought of himself as the most wanted youth player at the time and with a Player of the Year award with us having played about half of the season and rumoured interest from teams like Chelsea I can see why he thought this.

I have no idea how hard he worked to get to the position he was at with us. It is hardly 'The hard way' coming through our Academy. I know the players are not spoiled like at the massive clubs, but the facilities available are first class and with coaches like Paul Hart it is miles away from playing for non-league sides while holding down a full-time job with no help from agents or a dad that was an International footballer and managing at the top of the English game.

It is, just, possible that he didn't have the necessary desire to up his game (or more realistically effort and/or commitment) to make it when he was no longer having his hand held in the same way that he might have done with us. I have no idea, but if this is the reason (even in a small part) for his failure to push on then it might well be that he has, already, has the best of his career. Throughout my life I've met people from very 'comfortable' backgrounds that seemed to never have the same 'energy' and determination to succeed as those with a point to prove and/or a less desirable lifestyle.

I can't say I really care what happens to him now. I'd probably take him back because it might work out but it would be a short term contract and on a lot less than we were offering him in 2014. It is, just, possible that the c. £1m we got for him when he went to West Ham will turn out to look like good business, after all.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Obviously, Cousins' energy and willing has seen him go to a good Championship side, whereas Poyet's lack of energy and willing has seen him fold, so it's not like Cousins doesn't have ultimately more duracell qualities. A great shame, though.

Slight change there to recognise Cousins main ability is to keep going and going, without a lot of touch there sometimes.