Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options

Who would you rather play in the same position, Diarra or Poyet?

It's a no brainer for me...

But then Diarra has been out injured for much of the time Diego has been here. You would have expected him to play in that position, get his mojo back and give Riga a choice for that position when Diarra returned
  • Options
    For League One I'd be pretty happy with Diarra/Cousins/Poyet/Jackson but it doesn't seem like he's endeared himself much to get him back. I was surprised by how little he's done since he's come back but I think he probably is right to be a little miffed to not get a bit more game time as Diarra can't play 90 minutes every game.
  • Options
    A lot of DP's time was spent picking the ball up from the CH and passing it square and he rarely drove the ball forward.

Are you serious? In the season we scraped survival he was outstanding, put in 100% every game, picked the ball up drove forward, laid it off to wingers or to more technically advanced players...

He has just come back shit.
  • Options

I don't blame Diego for going. A lot of people on here said it was a mistake, and they've been proved right, but as was said today on another thread, hindsight is a wonderfull thing. Anyway, no sour grapes from me, a lot of sadness at the time, and life goes on.
    But now? I'm sure in all the rotten atmousphere in january, some fool at the club (KM or RM seem likely) thought it would be a great sop for the fans to get an English player we all relate to back in to sabe Karel Fraeye. Obviously, the scouts looked at his recent playing record about the same as a lot of the early january tosh (Relegation Roger being another highlight). However, his disinterest and total lack of form (Reports from the Colchester game had him strolling round the pitch as if he hadn't a care in the world, when his previous form suggested he should have taken the bit and tortured their defence, and his lack of minutes should have made him jump at the chance). He drifted out of form, and out of the squad, and if he thought he would be an automatic starter, he should have given at least an excuse for Jose Riga to make it happen. Now we are down, and really, so is he. At a cut price wage, he could consider dropping with us to try and recover his form and his career, but if he is complaining about lack of playing time, it suggests he will continue to expect to play in spite of whether he is good, bad lazy or indiferent. We already have a few of that calibre, who we pay less for the privilege.

I said it was a mistake at the time - we brought in the player we remembered, rather than the payer he was at the time. Sums up the ineptitude around the club.
  • Options
    Told you he was a dick.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    He is a player who needs to play to maintain any ounce of form, he was great for us when he broke through and shit when he returned due to a total change in focus,

He wanted the move that he got, he couldn't cope with the move not working and then couldn't handle finding himself back with us

He needs a club that he can play himself into form and stay playing in for a long while
  • Options
    Imagine he will sign for Real Betis
  • Options
    That move worked well for him then. Will probably be picked up by a championship club but given both his loans were disasters his stock has dropped massively
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad what has happened to him. Not exactly the same sort of player, but was as impressive as Bowyer and Parker when he first broke through into our team, imo. I thought more highly of him than I did of Shelvey (another one who has slid somewhat, although less dramatically).

Fuck knows what they've done to him at the greatest academy in the universe but he was a husk of a player last season.

If the club think they can nurture him back to his old self, then I'd be delighted to re-sign him because he looked the real deal and that version of him would be easily one of the best players in this division. There aren't many players that turn themselves back around like that though, so I'd be cautious about bringing him back.

• Options
    Sign him up. It's a win/win situation. He will need to revive his career and we need somebody that can boss the midfield and playmake as we know he can.

• Options
    He'll go to a Championship club based on his name alone.
  • Options

Sign him up. It's a win/win situation. He will need to revive his career and we need somebody that can boss the midfield and playmake as we know he can.

We do have quite a lightweight midfield, and he has returned once already...

Honestly? I'd probably pass, but if he could regain that attitude and ability that he had when he broke in to the team he'd be a real asset. Unfortunately he was a shell of that player last year, and it didn't work out on his other loans either. I can't see many clubs above League One being tempted to be entirely honest.
  • Options
    I'd say bring him back but we already have and that didn't work out. I didn't even see him play as I missed the home games he made appearances in.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

We do have quite a lightweight midfield, and he has returned once already...

Honestly? I'd probably pass, but if he could regain that attitude and ability that he had when he broke in to the team he'd be a real asset. Unfortunately he was a shell of that player last year, and it didn't work out on his other loans either. I can't see many clubs above League One being tempted to be entirely honest.
    He returned to a team that couldn't score and couldn't defend. This time we have a much better goalkeeper, a defence that looks reasonably solid and an attack that looks like it has a lot of goals in it. It was made for a playmaker like Poyet.
  • Options
    I probably wasn't the only one on here to claim going to West Ham would kill his career but I'm disappointed that I turned out to be right. As others said, he was too good to be sent back the academy or warm benches.
  • Options
    Sign him up, draw a line under everything that's happened in the past and get him back to his best. With the right attitude and right setup he should be far too good for League One.

Not quite the same example but you could almost mirror his spell at West Ham to that of Zaha at Man Utd. Zaha went back to Palace and it was like he never went away, maybe the same could apply to Poyet yet if he came back to us now rather than the shambles of last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was bloody brilliant for us in 13/14 but I wouldn't have him back.
    Was pretty awful during his loan spell and can't imagine his attitude will ever be like it was when he was breaking through.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at MK Dons. Karl Robinson made it clear early this year he rated him as a good player. Can't see any Championship side taking him on after proving nothing.

He will do well in League One and although I would take him back for a season to get him to work hard for a contract, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him at MK Dons instead.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at MK Dons. Karl Robinson made it clear early this year he rated him as a good player. Can't see any Championship side taking him on after proving nothing.

He will do well in League One and although I would take him back for a season to get him to work hard for a contract, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him at MK Dons instead.

His spell at MKD was certainly more successful than his spell with us!
  • Options
    Get him over to Upjest FC
  • Options
    His dad always came across as a man who really stoves to be the best and who had the smarts to do so.

Diego has lost his way a bit.

We have a lot of quality in defensive and non creative midfield, both with us now and hopefully injury returns in Diarra and Kashi.

Another head here seems unnecessary to me.

• Options
    Unbelievable downturn in his career, it is hard to fathom how he could have gone backwards as fast as he has! Definitely a no from me, it sounded like he couldn't be arsed to get out of 1st gear in his last loan spell, and let's face it if he couldn't get into that CAFC team then he must have been pretty dog shit in training. If had never have left in the first place, then possibly us and him would have been in a better position now.
  • Options
    Poyet should not have gone to the Hammers. He needed to play a 'longer game' and bide his time with us, where he would have ben almost guaranteed playing time in the first team and undoubtedly developed more. I don't doubt he received poor advice from his Agent, and perhaps his Dad, who thought he had already made the grade at a top level. I hope he recovers his form
  • Options
    With all the going ons last season not surprising he was shite. I think Slade would be a good manager for him. Would take a punt on a 3 month contract
  • Options
    If ever there was a story that the grass wasn't always greener! Gutted for him as a player as he was immense when he broke in to the side, showed a real touch of class. He didn't do himself any favours on social media tho. Only think I saw him play as s loanee against Col U and let's face it no one came away from that game with any credit. As has been said above I doubt he'll come back here now, especially after what must have been a frustrating loan period with us