Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Cardiff City | Sat 13 Feb | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Cardiff City
Saturday 13 February 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Iain Williamson (Berkshire)

Headlines

It may be Valentine’s Day this weekend yet our CEO certainly isn’t feeling the love, after a forged Document was leaked on Companies House, our leader made the mistake of making it public… The results haven’t gone as planned its seemed.

It appears that when Michelangelo released his famous work in the Sistene Chapel, he did in fact miss a bit (thanks to @VFF in the Bristol City Post Match Views for that particular scope)

Introduction
That’s one small step for man; one giant leap for Charlton was the quote by Jose Riga after the Rotherham game, in a match that was a must win, the Addicks returned to South East London with three points following a 4-1 victory, next up on the fixture list was last week and the visit of Bristol City in yet another big relegation six pointer. In what was a drab, windy affair, we couldn’t continue our good form for two matches and following a soft penalty, Bristol City would return to Wales with all three points and more despair for the Londoners…

In all, I’m quite surprised that Neil (I mean Jose) didn’t come out after that match with the quote: That’s one small step gone, two giant steps backwards for Charlton, yet hot on the heels of last Saturdays defeat, we welcome another of the Welsh clubs that occupy the English Leagues… Jorge Teixeira admitted that every game will now be like a Cup Final (quite relieved he didn’t say they’d be like a Quarter-Final else we’d be doomed) so anything but three points against Cardiff and the noose will surely be tightened.

The Opposition
Name: Cardiff City | Manager: Russell Slade
Ground: Cardiff City Stadium | Nickname: The Bluebirds

Of course these two sides have met, we’ve played everyone at least once this season (In Jordan Rhodes case, we’ll probably end up playing him three times)… Charlton made the visit to Wales in September, our poor run was picking up pace and we were dropping like a stone… Surprisingly though, the Addicks took the lead in this fixture with Karlan Ahearne-Grant grabbing his first league goal… Not surprisingly the lead didn’t last long and Cardiff would come back to win 2-1, yet another defeat on our long road to November.

When Russell Slade was appointed the Cardiff City Manager, the owners of the club expressed the wish that Slade would become the next Arsene Wenger and lead Cardiff to a new era, it’s a phrase though that has been thrown about a few times now; Derby with Paul Clement and Charlton with just about everyone since Chris Powell… Yet surprisingly, Slade is still at the helm (even after trying to tame Tony Watt) yet with the Welsh side currently in 9th and five points from the Play-Offs, is a return to the Premier League just a step too far this season?

Charlton Team News
Winning 4-1 against Rotherham naturally meant that few changes needed to be made last Saturday and that was the case, only Igor Vetokele was missing from the side who won that match after he picked up a slight knock in training, Ademola Lookman would replace him in the side and the unselfish / hard working attitude of our Angolan Striker was sorely missed…

Post-Bristol City; Jose Riga admitted that he was rested as a precaution and that Igor should return this Saturday… With Patrick Bauer, Alou Diarra and Tarieq Holmes-Dennis still recovering from injuries, all others should be fit to play once more against Cardiff, I know many would prefer Callum Harriott to come into the Midfield yet in a match of what were tight margins, it would be disappointing to see whole sale changes.

Henderson
Solly … Teixeira … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Bergdich
Makienok … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Johnson … Poyet … Ba … Harriott … Lookman … Ghoochannejhad

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Cardiff City

Comments

• Options
    Same old, same old. Boring, negative, gutless performance.

Charlton 0 Cardiff 2
  • Options

FA, after seeing your predictions,
    how many points are we clear at the top ?
    Keep up the good work :smiley:

Haha... thought this myself after writing the latest preview... think if we win this Saturday we'll finally return to the Premier League ;)
  • Options
    I'm going for a bore draw 0-0
  • Options
    Charlton 6-0 Cardiff
  • Options
    Cardiff won't have to break sweat, 1-4.

Make no mistake, we're on a one way ticket to League 2 as long as matey and the liar are in charge.

• Options

It may be Valentine’s Day this weekend yet our CEO certainly isn’t feeling the love, after a forged Document was leaked on the Companies House website, our leader made the mistake of making it public… The results haven’t gone as planned its seemed.

Surely 'on Companies House'...
  • Options
    I don't share the view that it would be disappointing to make wholesale changes - last week was utter cack. There's no way Fox should keep his place on merit... and Harriott should probably come in in some form. Either way I'm going to stay away and save my money this weekend, as last Saturday was the most turgid two hours of my year so far...
  • Options
    matt88 said:

I don't share the view that it would be disappointing to make wholesale changes - last week was utter cack. There's no way Fox should keep his place on merit... and Harriott should probably come in in some form. Either way I'm going to stay away and save my money this weekend, as last Saturday was the most turgid two hours of my year so far...

So who starts ahead of Morgan Fox then...?

Callum Harriott looked even worse and didnt see him do anything against Bristol City whilst Bergdich has proven he's not a Left-Back, this side need confidence... To give it to them, start with the side that beat Rotherham, its a silent message from Riga saying: You've beaten someone before now, you can do it again
  • Options
    1-3 loss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assume Sanago and Fanni will be in consideration now

I've no idea what the score will be, but can predict the match will be torture, as will every match for the rest of the season until we are safe or relegated!
  • Options
    Given the impact he had last time, I'm surprised Riga hasn't used CH more.

If Igor is fit then I'd actually drop JBG and put Lookman on the right. Mak and Igor up top. I'd also be tempted to give Jacko a rest and *puts tin hat on* bring Ba in.

Will probably be a loss but I'd accept a 4-3 or 3-2 if we actually show some bottle for once.
  • Options
    Completely forgot about Sanogo and Fanni whilst was quietly impressed with Ba's cameo against Bristol City, he seemed to advance with the ball like a bull in a china shop but certainly seemed up for the fight
  • Options
    Its been mentioned on another thread that Morgan Fox needs the protection of the Left-Midfielder if he's not to be over-ran, all I can say is I hope that it happens else Pilkington and Noone will have a field day (like Judge with Brentford)
  • Options
    The Tony Watt derby!

Surely a winnable game this if we want it. Then again Cardiff enter the tough, strong, typical championship sides like Brentford and Preston so we're more likely to be on the receiving end of a 3-0 scoreline!
  • Options
    Another beating. Still it'll drive on the protests.....................
  • Options
    If Holmes-Dennis is still injured, I would consider something different than Fox and Bergdich at left back. Take Fox out the firing line, playing in front of the home crowd and his performances is not going to do him or us any good.

Henderson
    Fanni Teixeira Lennon Solly
    Gudmundsson Cousins Jackson Bergdich
    Vetokele
    Makienok

Or if we were more brave, the exact personnel could look like:

Henderson
    Fanni Teixeira Lennon
    Solly Cousins Jackson Bergdich
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele Makienok

Anyway, doesn't matter what it is.
    2-1 win, Gudmundsson and Makienok
  • Options
    Another defeat. Another nail in the coffin. Needs shaking up but doubt it will happen. 0-2.
  • Options
    I know my geography is not very good FA, but why do you refer to Bristol as Welsh? If Fox is dropped, Riga will have to bring in Harriott, otherwise the fans will have to look for another scapegoat. I would love to be wrong, and hope Riga can get his magic working consistently over the next couple of months, but unfortunately, I can only see a defeat, as I do not think, on last week's evidence, that the majority of players are up for the fight, 0-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Igor back we will win 2-1.
  • Options
    Jacko needs a rest. He would do more in 15 mins off the bench and be of more use to us.

Ba or Poyet would be my choice (Ba looked good last week). The midfield was piss poor last week. It can't stay the same.
  • Options
    Charlton 6-0 Cardiff
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Charlton 6-0 Cardiff

heard you first time
  • Options
    Poyet for Jackson

Still can't see a win, we are so fragile
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I know my geography is not very good FA, but why do you refer to Bristol as Welsh? If Fox is dropped, Riga will have to bring in Harriott, otherwise the fans will have to look for another scapegoat. I would love to be wrong, and hope Riga can get his magic working consistently over the next couple of months, but unfortunately, I can only see a defeat, as I do not think, on last week's evidence, that the majority of players are up for the fight, 0-2

It was written in jest after the North Stand were singing: "Your Welsh and you know you are" last week
  • Options
    Scrappy 1-0 home win.
  • Options
    Saw Poyet out running in Chislehurst on Sunday; don't know if that means he's trying to get fitter or just fancied a jog?

Anyway, I'd freshen it up - the worst three players all got subbed last week and it wouldn't surprise me to see all three dropped.

It would be an interesting move to play three at the back (with Fanni on the right side and Solly and Bergdich as wing-backs), but I think that we'll stick to 4-4-2 and play Poyet for Jackson, Igor for Lookman, and Fox will keep his place and hope to impress his fellow Welshmen. Sanogo must surely make the bench this week too!