Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Cardiff City | Sat 13 Feb | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Poyet and Harriott excelled under Riga last time so I'm very confused why he has blown them out this time.

Another inept Belgian methinks.
  • Either that or they're not showing the required commitment on the training pitch to merit a place in the starting eleven?
  • edited February 2016
    Sage said:

If Holmes-Dennis is still injured, I would consider something different than Fox and Bergdich at left back. Take Fox out the firing line, playing in front of the home crowd and his performances is not going to do him or us any good.

Henderson
    Fanni Teixeira Lennon Solly
    Gudmundsson Cousins Jackson Bergdich
    Vetokele
    Makienok

Or if we were more brave, the exact personnel could look like:

Henderson
    Fanni Teixeira Lennon
    Solly Cousins Jackson Bergdich
    Gudmundsson
    Vetokele Makienok

Anyway, doesn't matter what it is.
    2-1 win, Gudmundsson and Makienok

Not that I can see this actually happening, but if we did go 352 with Solly and Bergdich as wing backs, it allows us to have more of an attacking bench. Something like Pope, Fox (to cover the left side, we have Solly and Fanni to cover RB if we change formation) Poyet, Ba, Harriott, Lookman, Sanago

It also frees up Gudmundsson to play in more of a free role, he can float between the lines and out wide, we may see the Johann of last season if so.

Not claiming to be in charge or anything, but just something different is clearly needed and it looks more of a balanced squad than last week.
  • Need a repeat performance like the 5-4 win. Or Johanns goal last season to pull it back with 10 men. Games vs Cardiff do seem to be entertaining.

We can't start with JJ in a 4-4-2 . Hopefully Bauer might be back.
  • Probably running to the pie shop
  • 2-2

I'm strangely looking forward to this, hoping to stay at the protests as long as i can but have to get the 7.45 from Euston back to bloody cold Shropshire
  • Took a day's leave for the game last week and was left double fuming after the 'performance' and the fact I'd wasted a day's holiday. Refuse to do the same this weekend. Therefore,3-0 Charlton no doubt :wink:
  • It's about how we respond after such a hefty set back last week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jackson needs a rest, Fox is too nervous at home and if Sanogo doesn't play then you have wonder what the hell is going on.
  • Kesman said:

Jackson needs a rest, Fox is too nervous at home and if Sanogo doesn't play then you have wonder what the hell is going on.

I've been wondering that on and off for the last 2 years, nothing surprises me anymore :disappointed:
  • vffvff
    edited February 2016
    Found this 360 degree @ForeverAddickted. Just to be able to check if Michelangelo missed any bits ;-)

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

(The floor looks pretty good as well @Covered End . Couple of hints if you are stuck with what to do with the bathroom floor !)
  • That 5-4 sparked a real change a couple of years ago. Need something like that again.

Prediction 1-3.
  • charlton 0 Cardif 5, give the last home performance cannot see any thing else but a hammering.
  • Most week i predict us to lose and i am usually right, so i am going for a nice afternoon stroll 2-0 to the addicks.
  • edited February 2016
    no idea what side will play or what the score will be

not even sure I care

for some reason though I'll still be there, must be mad
  • More doom and gloom served up... 1-3
  • Last week was about the most dis spirited performance I have ever seen. JGB was pulling out of tackles, Fox is not up to the job. There is no creativity in midfield. I cannot see that team beating any one.
    Too late this season for a competitive squad.
    The only reason for going is to be part of the protests.
    There really needs to be organised boycott of buying season tickets for next season. The club matters that is why KM and RD must be forced out.
  • Cardiff are a much better side than Bristol City. It may help that they may not fear us and try to beat us, but we will need to be stronger in the middle. I think a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 is our best bet, with as much legs as we can get in midfield, so probably Cousins, Poyet and Ba . Will be a big ask to get anything from the game though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard one to call (as ever) .. we just cannot get going down in the poisoned Valley .. in the away game we were a trifle unfortunate not to get something .. but then we had Kashi looking good in midfield, his absence has just not been compensated for, and Bauer solid in defence even along side the unpredictable Sarr ..
    Cardiff need points to stay in touch with the play off pack, their current away form is decent enough, our home form is awful ..

I am NOT going to predict a CAFC loss but cannot see a win

CAFC 0 v Cardiff City 0
  • Charlton 5 Cardiff 4

• It may be Valentine’s Day this weekend yet our CEO certainly isn’t feeling the love, after a forged Document was leaked on the Companies House website, our leader made the mistake of making it public… The results haven’t gone as planned its seemed.

Surely 'on Companies House'...
    It's the website of Companies House, so 'the Companies House website' is correct and easier on the ear than "Companies House's website". Of course, whether it should be Companies' House is a different question altogether.

• It may be Valentine’s Day this weekend yet our CEO certainly isn’t feeling the love, after a forged Document was leaked on the Companies House website, our leader made the mistake of making it public… The results haven’t gone as planned its seemed.

Surely 'on Companies House'...
    It's the website of Companies House, so 'the Companies House website' is correct and easier on the ear than "Companies House's website". Of course, whether it should be Companies' House is a different question altogether.
    I forgot to add, I think we'll get well and truly stuffed.
  • Most week i predict us to lose and i am usually right, so i am going for a nice afternoon stroll 2-0 to the addicks.

It's easy to be right when one predicts a Charlton loss. That old joke about 'I thought the name was Charlton nil' isn't looking quite such a joke at the moment.
  • Charlton face an anxious wait over the fitness of Igor Vetokele ahead of their crucial Championship match against Cardiff on Saturday, News Shopper understands.

“Him and Simon [Makienok] complement each other.”

However, News Shopper understands that Vetokele has a 50-50 chance of playing against the Bluebirds at the Valley.

The club will wait to see how he holds up come the weekend, and would certainly expect the forward to feature against Fulham if he is ruled out this week.

Meanwhile, French midfielder Alou Diarra is nearing a return following a lengthy spell out injured.

The 34-year-old has not featured for the Addicks since December but a much-needed return could be a matter of weeks away.
  • ross1 said:

Charlton face an anxious wait over the fitness of Igor Vetokele ahead of their crucial Championship match against Cardiff on Saturday, News Shopper understands.

“Him and Simon [Makienok] complement each other.”

However, News Shopper understands that Vetokele has a 50-50 chance of playing against the Bluebirds at the Valley.

The club will wait to see how he holds up come the weekend, and would certainly expect the forward to feature against Fulham if he is ruled out this week.

Meanwhile, French midfielder Alou Diarra is nearing a return following a lengthy spell out injured.

The 34-year-old has not featured for the Addicks since December but a much-needed return could be a matter of weeks away.

'nearing a return that could be a matter of weeks away ?' .. and so is the end so the season, mere weeks away
    .. if this highlighted piece is an 'official' CAFC statement, it's about as confusing and contradictory as much of what has been going on recently
  • I actually think these are the types of matches, against attacking mid-table opposition, where we might do quite well. Going on his stint a couple years ago, I think Riga prefers to set his teams up to defend well from the front and look to hit teams on the counter.

I think Lennon and Jacko need to be dropped. It's good that Lennon has been given a run of games but he just doesn't have the consistency yet, and he distribution isn't good enough.

Hendo
    Solly Texeira RoJo Fox
    JBG Cousins Poyet Harriot
    Igor Mak

I could also see us going to a diamond in midfield, having Poyet sit at the base, and using Cousins Jackson (possibly Ba or Bergdich) as the two outside players, with JBG as the #10. I seem to remember Riga playing that way in his first spell. I think it would allow Cousins +1 to have more freedom to go box-to-box and be a good way to stay solid through the center, soak up pressure, then use JBG, Igor, and Mak for the counter.

As far as Callum and Poyet not playing so far, I wonder how they're performing on the training pitch, but also keep in mind Riga's only been in charge for three matches, Callum has come off the bench twice, and we haven't needed to protect a lead thus haven't really needed Poyet.
  • No comments needed, another heavy defeat watched by a depressed 20K crowd of course.
  • Is Kashi out for the rest of the season? He is the exact player we need