Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby v Charlton | Sat 15 Aug | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited August 2015 in General Charlton

The Enticing Intro Bit

Paddy Power and his bookie mates must be scratching their heads.

Derby were the pre-season favourites to win the Championship, whilst Charlton were 2nd favourites for relegation. But the opening week of the season saw Derby kick-off with a disappointing draw at unfancied Bolton, and a ‘giant-killing’ defeat at League 2 Portsmouth. Meanwhile, the unfancied Addicks recorded an impressive opener against Queens Park Rangers and a professional dispatching of Dagenham in the cup.

Have the bookies got it all wrong?

The Bit About Us

Charlton’s opening week could not have gone better for Guy Luzon; two victories, impressive debuts, competition for places, and injuries to a couple of key players failing to have a negative impact. Saturday’s triumph was also the first time the Covered End properly sang the Israeli’s name since his January arrival; after a less-than-positive reaction to his introduction to the Club, the majority of fans are increasingly getting onside with the touchline jack-in-the-box, whose in-play mannerisms are single-handedly commandeering the expression ‘bat-shit crazy’.

The most impressive aspects to ‘new-look Charlton’ were the energy and defensive cover provided by holding centre mid Ahmed Kashi, and the solid, tactically astute presence of central defender Patrick Bauer. With Ba providing a similar central role to Kashi, and Cousins pushed out to the left of midfield, Charlton look set to prove a potentially difficult to breakdown, organised, defence-first unit. Offensively, galloping Scandanavian lamp post Makienok now offers a decent out-ball option and the quality of Gudmundsson, coupled with the unpredictability and directness of Watt will be the main focus of Charlton’s open-play attack.

The Bit About Them

Steve McClaren was sacked at the end of the season after disappointing in failing to get Derby over the line, and has since jumped on an East Coast train to Newcastle. Appointing Paul Clement to his first managerial role was the surprise decision, and it’s been an impressive rise in the football ranks for the 43-year old with no playing background, and who just 15 years ago was a PE teacher in Sutton.

Derby have tremendous quality in their squad, and have bolstered this further with the summer signings of Tom Ince, Darren Bent, Jason Shackell, Chris Baird, Scott Carson and Andreas Weimann. They also managed to retain their impressive youngster Will Hughes, but were rocked by the news that he tore his cruciate ligaments versus Bolton and will be out for six months.
Derby lined up 4-3-1-2 against Bolton last week, with Tom Ince playing in the hole behind Chris Martin and Johnny Russell, and it will be interest if they adapt their formation when at home. Pre-season friendlies have also seen them experiment with 4-3-3 and a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond.

The One to Watch

While most Addicks fans will be affording more than just a glancing eye towards former Valley Hero Darren Bent, George Thorne is our ‘one to watch’ this week. Born locally in Chatham, Thorne was a big money mover last summer from West Brom, but cruelly tore his cruciate ligaments in a pre-season friendly and missed the bulk of last season as a result. But the 22-year old is now fully fit, and has started the season with a bang; many people highlighted a MoM performance at Bolton last week. A defensive central-midfielder who likes to control play, it will be interesting to see his match up against Kashi / Ba.

The bit where we look back at a previous victory

Are we gonna party like its 1999?

20th February 1999 to be precise.

Charlton had been struggling in the relegation zone in their 1st season in the Premiership, but having come through a run of 15 games without a win (nine straight defeats) back-to-back victories against Wimbledon (remember them?) and Liverpool had given us renewed positivity ahead of the trip to Pride Park.

A workman-like performance, marshalled by John Barnes in the centre saw the Addicks take the lead through Andy Hunt midway through the 2nd half. But the real highlighting came in the 86th minute, when Martin Pringle managed to run a full 40 yards with the ball without falling over, to fire past Russel Hoult and send the away fans loopy nut nut. ‘Pringle makes Charlton tingle’ headlined The Guardian, whilst highlighting Charlton’s noisy travelling support.

A repeat on Saturday would be more than welcome.

Derby: Hoult, Prior, Stimac, Laursen, Delap, D Powell, Carsley, Eranio, Dorigo, Sturridge, Burton SUBS: Bohinen, Wanchope
Charlton: Royce, Mills, Tiler, Brown, C Powell, Redfearn, Kinsella, K Jones, Pringle, Hunt, Robinson SUBS: Barnes, Mendonca, Barness

The bit where everyone accuses you of hating the Club, wanting Roland out and being a xenophobic bed-wetter, all because you predict a Charlton defeat…

Despite being so early in the season, this is potentially a pressure game for Derby; home defeat on top of their muted start will no doubt trigger the first panicking cries of ‘is Clement up for being a number one?’.

However, Charlton’s recent record at Pride Park is awful; the last five visits have gleaned zero points, and we failed to score in four of them. Saturday will be another tough test; a point will be a fantastic achievement and the emphasis will be put on Derby to break us down, with us looking to utilise Watt on the counter, or hoping for something to happen from a dead ball situation. Will Luzon tweak the flat 4-4-2 he employed at home last Saturday?

The win against QPR has taken a lot of pressure off what always looked a very difficult start to the season. Our game-plan is likely to be to frustrate Derby and hope they are negatively impacted by the growing impatience of the crowd the longer the game goes on if they fail to break us down. There will be a big reliance on our two defence banks of four to stay disciplined. Sadly, I don’t think we are quite there yet in terms of our XI knowing each other well enough to put in that level of performance, particularly without Henderson in goal, or retain possession well enough. I fear Derby kick-starting their season looks the more likely outcome.

A defeat should not trigger despondency however, as I feel this will prove in hindsight to be one of our toughest visits of the season.

2-0 Derby

Comments

• Options
    Great preview @AFKABartram... Watched Derby last night and I wasnt impressed, what worries me is the fact that Clement will want to bounce back from the defeat.

Reckon it'll be a 1-1 draw
  • Options
    What, no starting XI prediction?

Based on my fear that Tony Watt picked up a knock on Tuesday that will keep him on the bench again, and that Zac Bergdich has a slight muscle pull that might keep him out altogether, my team would line up like this -

Pope
    Solly, Bauer, Diarra, Fox
    Gudmundsson, Kashi, Ba, Cousins
    Makienok, Ahearne-Grant

Subs: Mitov, Charles-Cook, Sarr, Jackson, Watt, Reza, Ceballos

Predict a 2-1 defeat sadly.
  • Options
    I want us to go there all guns blazing and for me that includes Watt so I hope he plays.

Those that fancy us can get us at 6/1 on Betfred
  • Options
    I actually think we will go their and frustrate them, then cause problems on the break.

It wont take long for the natives to get restless.

0-1 Charlton. TWWW with the goal in the 82nd min.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Based on my fear that Tony Watt picked up a knock on Tuesday that will keep him on the bench again, and that Zac Bergdich has a slight muscle pull that might keep him out altogether, my team would line up like this -

Pope
    Makienok, Ahearne-Grant

Are Watt and Bergdich injured?!??? Sh1t if thats the case.

I thought Watt was fine? If he is out then I predict we may struggle.

0-3
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Royce, Mills, Tiler, Brown, C Powell, Redfearn, Kinsella, K Jones, Pringle, Hunt, Robinson

• Options
    edited August 2015

Pedro45 said:

Pope
    Makienok, Ahearne-Grant

Are Watt and Bergdich injured?!??? Sh1t if thats the case.

I thought Watt was fine? If he is out then I predict we may struggle.

0-3
    Only my opinion that they may not start (I am not in the know!). Watt was moaning constantly on Tuesday about his leg hurting, and Bergdich came off after indicating that he had a tight thigh muscle. They both may be fine, but we won't know until Saturday I guess.
  • Options
    Reality check. 0-2 defeat. Our recent record at Pride Park is abysmal.
  • Options
    Ahearne-Grant was limping about in the last 5 minutes of Tuesdays game, hopefully nothing serious.
  • Options
    A backlash expected because of their last two results.

2-0 defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ahearne-Grant was limping about in the last 5 minutes of Tuesdays game, hopefully nothing serious.

Bit of cramp maybe... Guess at 17 he's not used to completing a full Pre-Season with the first team and then play around 90mins of Football in three days.

If there are issues then we do have Reza dont forget (As Luzon has admitted he's been impressed with his effort)
  • Options
    Derby 1 - 0 Charlton
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Possibly a goodish time to play them. They have injuries and haven't exactly hit the ground running.

Will still be tough but I think we can get something out of the game. 1 - 1
  • Options
    Going for a 2-1 win for the us, think we will steal it after having to defend for our lives for much of the match.

A bit like QPR think we are playing Derby at the right time before they really get their act together under a new manager.

Watt and Gudmundsson with our goals.
  • Options
    My Derby mate reckons the pressure is already building on Clement to get a win so could be a good time to play them, especially if we keep it tight.

On the other hand, they could be out to prove something and get their season up and running.

I reckon Clement's faltering start will continue but us winning would be too good to be true, so I'll say 1-1.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Nigel Miller in charge on Saturday.

Four yellows last Saturday between Rotherham and MK Dons

88 yellows and one red last season in 35 games.

Last in charge against Charlton in a 1-1 draw versus Dirty Leeds at Elland Road in October 2012.
  • Options
    2-1 addicks.....we leave it late and nick the winning goal...match thread from 2 pm
  • Options
    I think that Clement will prove to be another terrific whiteboard coach, all blueprint and no concrete .. he will confuse his players and over complicate things, hopefully totally before we play them .. we have a new team which has not yet learnt to be over cautious or too respectful of 'big clubs' .. Derby has spent big and is still adjusting to the new regime and new signings, they are ripe for plucking by an unchanged Addicks line up, though Watt might well start on Saturday

Derby County 1 v CAFC 3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see much but a defeat but having seen nothing of us and knowing nothing of them maybe unfair

First game of the season for me on the 11.26 out St Pancras

• Options
    Hell of a squad Derby have. I genuinely feel terrible for Will Hughes as well, shame to see a young English prospect get such a terrible injury. Like with QPR, I think we'll surprise some teams with our physical approach and high pressing and I think we could surprise Derby as well. Having said that though they've got game changers so I'll go for a draw
  • Options
    agree with some others, this could be the right time to play them.

1-1 but would not be shocked if we sneaked a 1-2 win
  • Options
    Luzon says Watt is a slight doubt...
  • Options
    Got a good feeling about this one. We're on the up and they are struggling a bit. 2 nil to us with Tony Megawatt getting one of them.
  • Options
    I fancy another good performance with Kashi running the midfield. Goals from JBG and Patrick Beckenbauer in a 2-2 draw
  • Options
    Our recent record there is awful so we're due something! :-)

1-1 draw. JBG free kick in the first half cancelled out by Bent late on in the second half.
  • Options
    0 -1 away win and the great start continues and we start to dream about a return to the promised land and a cup run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I wake up and reality kicks in 2 - 0 Derby but we get back on track at Forest on Tuesday
  • Options
    3-1 Addicks.