Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Health Update

Its been just over 6 months since I went into hospital with my heart failure and even now when things are a bit tough I go back and look at all the wonderful comments I received from everyone on CL. I'm also conscious that I haven't updated anyone since the end of the season, so just to let you all know, my health has continued to improve and although I'll not be running any marathons or sprinting in the near future I am feeling so much better. Next Monday (6th July) I have one other hurdle to overcome and that is the 'cardioversion' procedure that I'll be undergoing at the hospital. Basically, I have a short general anesthetic, which lasts for about 5/10 minutes, during that time I will have electric shocks put through my heart to try and get it back into rhythm, a maximum of 3 times. If it works then things will nearly be back to normal, they will never be fully normal again, however there is no guarantee it will work and a potential danger is it could cause me to have a stroke. This is a very slim chance so I've decided to give it a go, I'm absolutely petrified and not looking forward to it, however I hope to be back on here on Tuesday reporting all went well, or at least that I'm still alive. I'm keeping everything crossed for a safe return home on Monday afternoon. Take care all and thanks again for your support 6 months ago.

Comments

• Options
    Best wishes!!
  • Options
    Sincere best wishes and good luck Redmidand.
  • Options
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    good luck RM, need you fit for the new season.
  • Options
    Best wishes RM. hang in there matey
  • Options
    Very best wishes. I'm sure it will be a great success.
  • Options
    hang in there Red .. and take care of yourself .. don't get too overexcited when we're promoted ((:>)
  • Options
    Red it's a real tonic to hear your on the mend proper, it's a brave decision and the right one godbless pal
  • Options
    Best wishes Red. I hope the next procedure will be a total success.
  • Options
    Has anyone on here had a cardioversion or know anyone that has? Did it go well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope all goes well RM.
  • Options
    Will bet thinking of you on Monday Red. All the very best!
  • Options
    you'll breeze through it and hopefully when you return home we'll have made another signing.

all the best.
  • Options
    Wishing all goes well for you, RM.
  • Options
    Hope everything goes well.
  • Options
    Best of luck,
    Will you be fit for the QPR game?
  • Options
    good luck RM, you got this
  • Options
    Good luck RM, hope it goes perfectly. Let us know how it went next week.

Will you know how successful it was immediately?
  • Options
    Good luck RM, obviously we don't know each other, in the last ten years I've had several cardioversions(really), In my case they last about two years, but can last much much longer, you'll be having tea and biscuits before you know it. Although watching Charlton doesn't always help, best wishes.
  • Options
    Best of like RedMidland.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Best place you could be is in a building full of doctors and nurses!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RM you are fondly thought of on here and contribute a great deal. We'll all be routing for you. hope it goes well
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Apparently, I'll know as soon as I wake up and should feel different I understand.
  • Options

Good luck RM, obviously we don't know each other, in the last ten years I've had several cardioversions(really), In my case they last about two years, but can last much much longer, you'll be having tea and biscuits before you know it. Although watching Charlton doesn't always help, best wishes.

Blimey mate, thanks for telling me.....anything I should be scared of or to be aware of?
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Apparently, I'll know as soon as I wake up and should feel different I understand.
    Mrs RM's hoping you won't feel THAT different......

Will be thinking of you on Monday, dear friend.

• Options
    All the best M.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Good luck

Note you are not going to be running marathons or sprinting, that still leaves room to have a go at Jordan Cousins 1500 m record.
  • Options
    All the best RM!
  • Options

Blimey mate, thanks for telling me.....anything I should be scared of or to be aware .

I found the thought of it far worse than the event, and you should feel the benefits as you recover.
  • Options
    Red/Malc go into Monday with as positive an outlook as you can muster because it will help with your healing. Best wishes.
  • Options
    Good luck RM. I had a serious heart attack two and a half years ago (aged 48). Runs in my family I'm afraid. I've had two separate bouts of stenting surgery (I have four in all) and have had numerous tests and scary procedures before finally being discharged from Kings College this February. This is just simply to say that there is a whole lot of hope out there. These guys and guys are brilliant at what they do. No shame in being a bit apprehensive about the procedures. I was shitting bricks before the second procedure as I knew exactly what to expect. The way I look at it we've had a second chance so live, love and be happy!