Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    Only takes one person to cut in and the one behind to slam on their brakes, the reaction of each car behind breaking then starting again can cause miles of tailbacks.
  • Options
    Also, any part of the a2 where there is a reduction in lanes always seems better after. So the 3 lanes is slow but when you get to the 2 lane part its moving fine.
    Always think its strange how the same number of cars move better in 2 lanes than 3, but the delays are because people are moving over and everyone is slamming on their breaks etc.
  • Options
    I saw a TV programme some time ago where they said they had studied how jams occur for no apparent reason on straight bits of motorway with no interruptions (eg - cones, rubberneckers, narrowing or reduction of lanes, etc) and they said, even using the best technology, they could not actually work it out?
  • Options
    Someone will probably tell me there is a good historical reason yet never understand why on some addresses; instead of saying Hampshire its written as "Hants"... Why? - Where is the N and the T in Hampshire?
  • Options
    From the county website

Why is Hampshire sometimes called Hants?
    "Hampshire" is often abbreviated in written form to "Hants" and which sometimes gives rise to puzzlement. The abbreviated form is derived from the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district governed from the settlement now known as Southampton) and the Anglo-Saxons called it Hamtunschire. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) this was compressed to Hantescire
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

From the county website

Why is Hampshire sometimes called Hants?
    "Hampshire" is often abbreviated in written form to "Hants" and which sometimes gives rise to puzzlement. The abbreviated form is derived from the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district governed from the settlement now known as Southampton) and the Anglo-Saxons called it Hamtunschire. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) this was compressed to Hantescire

Funny how the 1000-odd year old abbreviation survived, but not the actual name?
  • Options
    same as Shropshire being known as Salop
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Computers in general.
    iPads.
    Mobile phones.
    Central Heating control panels without instructions.
    Central Heating control panels ‘with’ instructions.
    Facebook......not on it.
    Twitter...........not on it.
    Which way to put your credit card into the terminal at petrol stations.
    Why any true blooded Englishman dislikes Lewis Hamilton?

Another thing is Japanese hand writing.....truthfully how good does your handwriting have to be writing in Japanese.....each character is a fecking work of art for Christ’s sake.
    Over here we can more or less get away with an untidy scrawl.....my handwriting is really very poor as a matter of fact, but I guess you simply can’t get away with that in written Japanese.
  • Options
    Why did Mike Flanagan make the Christmas day headlines in 1979? Sounds like a quiz question, but I don't know the answer, or maybe I did but have forgotten, or maybe he was with Crystal Palace and I didn't/don't care. Genuinely confused (as usual).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI8oYItEy-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elton John's Nikita video.
  • Options
    What would a dog think if it knew it was walking around full of bones?
  • Options
    bbob said:
    Do they really though? I know that Patrick Moore was in the Flat Earth Society, but only for a laugh. I seems so preposterous though that I can only imagine that most of their other members are only in it for a giggle.
  • Options
    People thinking Conor McGregor can box
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    buckshee said:

The only thing McGregor boxed is the cash he got from the fight. Good luck to him for making it happen.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Anybody that likes Conor McGregor
  • Options
    A very right wing, church going, Democratic Unionist friend of mine from NI writing this about a coffee shop near him on facebook; [****** Recommends ****** Coffee shop] "Not much, they just hiked the price of a hot sausage roll from 80p to £1 (25%). Nothing Christian about greed so that's my last visit.".

No - he isn't being ironic.
  • Options
    What day of the week it is during this bit between Christmas and New Year.
  • Options

What day of the week it is during this bit between Christmas and New Year.

Wait till you get older mate every week is like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A very right wing, church going, Democratic Unionist friend of mine from NI writing this about a coffee shop near him on facebook; [****** Recommends ****** Coffee shop] "Not much, they just hiked the price of a hot sausage roll from 80p to £1 (25%). Nothing Christian about greed so that's my last visit.".

No - he isn't being ironic.

I don't recall visiting there, or even writing that come to think of it....

; )
  • Options
    Stig said:

bbob said:
    Do they really though? I know that Patrick Moore was in the Flat Earth Society, but only for a laugh. I seems so preposterous though that I can only imagine that most of their other members are only in it for a giggle.
    Just before Christmas I was in a cab and the driver started telling me he was in the flat earth society, citing 'evidence' of out being flat, like why we use water in spirit levels and other rubbish. Any evidence I offered to the contrary was met with it all being a hoax. Like when James May went up in that spy plane and we (the TV audience) Could clearly see the curvature of the earth. He dismissed that by saying they we using some Go Pro (?) Camera, which could distort things how they liked. That we've been misfed information all our lives by those in power to suit them. Gravity is just a theory. It went on...
    That was a long cab journey I can tell ya!
  • Options
    Did Wiltshire actually go off injured after blocking a cross with his foot?
  • Options
    Neymar celebrating a goal by balancing his boot on his head.
  • Options

Did Wiltshire actually go off injured after blocking a cross with his foot?

Sprained ankle. Ive blocked a shot before with the outside of my foot and its bent the ankle the wrong way. Sore if you've got glass bones.
  • Options
    Why is calling somebody a berk acceptable. It's cockernee rhyming slang for Berkshire Hunt.
  • Options
    The way Football can act sometimes... i.e. take the below link as a perfect example, VAR has been introduced yet the FA have realised that they need to do a better signal than a finger in the ear to signify a decision is being decided by the video official

They'll probably take a few weeks to think some other elaborate / confusing system when they could just use the same gesture used in Rugby - Or are the FA and FIFA etc. worried that Rugby have trademarked the gesture and will try to sue them if they use it... If not they'd probably want some rugby referee to come in and give a demonstration regardless!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42648522
  • Options
    When athletes get death threats over an official's decision i.e. the below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43055570

Surely it should be the official who disqualified the Korean that should be getting the threats (not that anyone should at all) rather than the person who gained the advantage?
  • Options
    Why Morrissey decided to go to all the expense of hauling a whole show in and out of three different venues in one city in four nights...