Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the latest on the redevelopment of the Training Ground?

Comments

• Options

The reason I am upset with it is not because they are building it for us, but the intentions it shows, there's a reason that this has precedence over anything first team related is obvious. It's a bit like your girlfriend buying you an expensive necklace, the amount spent and the thought is lovely.. but it's for her good not yours (unless you are that way inclined, of course). I don't think we'll get any good from this except a younger first team long term, and higher prices received for the players as they are homegrown.

I'm not saying every single move he does is bad, but the bigger picture to it all is quite obvious when you put the jigsaw pieces together. They also use this as an amount spent on us as a club and us fans should appreciate that, what I'm hinting it is it isn't really an amount spent on us, it's a side investment that we shouldn't be be so grateful of. I had my views very early on about his plan and it seems he is still going at it, so I'll stick by my views, this is just part of his plan - but viewed as a great move for our club by a lot of our fans, but his intentions paint the picture as to why he is doing things and it's not for us fans.

However you view it it does increase the value of the club. Not just his wealth. If he moves on, which he will, presumably, at some point, the players that he leaves are not as important as the potential conveyor belt of talent that the club can produce.

If you follow your logic through there is a chance that the answer is to close the academy and put all the investment into transfer fees that will, presumably give us a better first team, but for how long?

It's a bit like selling the ground and leasing it back all the while spending the money from the sale of The Valley on players. Sure we might have a great couple of years success on the pitch but when those players get too old and retire we will have to rent the ground and still replace the players.

I understand that there is a benefit to RD from this as well, but I think you are struggling to suggest that a great Academy is for hi and no benefit to the club or the desires of the fans.

Just because you don't like the way he is doing a lot of the things, and nor do I, doesn't mean that we have to look for reasons to rubbish the good things he is doing. At least I don't think we do.
    Exactly my view
  • Options
    Can't evaluate this one way or another without knowing how much it costs and how it is being financed. Everything else is irrelevant.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

"No point having an academy as the owner just lines his own pockets"

Close academy

"FFS all our players are foreign imports, why don't we buy players with championship experience"

Buys British players

"All British players are massively overpriced due to supply and demand, there's not enough descent youngsters out there and any one who's good enough gets hovered up by the big clubs"

Looks at alternatives

"We need to try and train and nurture our own players for the first team, in an academy or something"

Opens academy

"FFS all we ever do is bring a player through only for them to be sold on in 12 months time"

And repeat

Nice try, but a bit of encouraging news does not outweigh all the other shit.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

"Everything this man does is not good for our football club"

"I'm not saying every single move he does is bad"

You sound confused. As do the protests.

Why do the protests sound confused? And yes a slight contradiction, but what I meant was I'm not just picking on this because I like to pick on everything he does, but I think it's a prime example of his goals and aims owning our football club. I can't pick holes in stuff like signing JJ up to a longer contract, but everything this man does in terms of the bigger picture is not good for our football club.
  • Options
    A top class training ground benefits the first team as well...
  • Options

A top class training ground benefits the first team as well...

You're right, but a lot lot more important is good coaches and good experienced heads around. Something which is being overlooked while they concentrate on what is important to them, the cash cow in the training facilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

"No point having an academy as the owner just lines his own pockets"If the owner sells all our players before they get any real value.

Close academy

"FFS all our players are sub standard foreign imports, why don't we buy players with championship experience" Good players

Buys British players

"All British players are massively overpriced due to supply and demand, there's not enough descent youngsters out there and any one who's good enough gets hovered up by the big clubs" meaning there are young players with potential discarded from the PL every year but you need people at the club who are well connected in English football to find them and persuade them CAFC is the place to come

Looks at alternatives

"We need to try and train and nurture our own players for the first team, in an academy or something" and then keep them for long enough for them to make a real difference to the way the club is headed.

Opens academy

"FFS all we ever do is bring a player through only for them to be sold on in 12 months time" you're right there

And repeat

• Options
    sam3110 said:

"No point having an academy as the owner just lines his own pockets"

Close academy

"FFS all our players are foreign imports, why don't we buy players with championship experience"

Buys British players

"All British players are massively overpriced due to supply and demand, there's not enough descent youngsters out there and any one who's good enough gets hovered up by the big clubs"

Looks at alternatives

"We need to try and train and nurture our own players for the first team, in an academy or something"

Opens academy

"FFS all we ever do is bring a player through only for them to be sold on in 12 months time"

And repeat

Will you be at the protest Saturday?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I agree with Lookout regarding the finance and attendant risks/millstone aspects of this. However if the thing can be afforded then I am delighted with Sparrows Lane development because it can't be packed up and shipped off to Belgium or anywhere else.
    However it also indicates that Roland is not getting out of our club anytime soon. The experiment is simply going to continue as it has been so far.
    I am angry and upset by the way this club is being run, but in the light of this medium to long term stuff the only hope is to try to influence Roland to change. That is probably why I support the effort of the Trust to engage, although it might prove completely fruitless.
    If there is no significant change however by next Christmas, and we're languishing in the lower reaches of division one then I suggest all bets are off and a real and meaningful war of attrition ought to begin, Trust or no Trust. There are a wide range of subversive options available to the imaginative and creative protesters still to be employed.
  • Options
    Couldn't find the most recent thread, but what is going on with these? I thought work had started, but have read recently that nothing has been done?
  • Options
    seems to have been new artificial pitches laid and a special goalkeeping areas. There were some reports on the OS.

Not heard anything about the main buildings but don't know if that is because that is not scheduled to have started yet.
  • Options

seems to have been new artificial pitches laid and a special goalkeeping areas. There were some reports on the OS.

Not heard anything about the main buildings but don't know if that is because that is not scheduled to have started yet.

This item, cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-youth-development-premier-league-football-league-2925591.aspx#1rrIw6DQ8QV7wmgX.99 posted on the OS on 28 Jan has this bit: "Also present were CEO Katrien Miere, Chief Financial Officer David Joyes, the lead contractors and the architect".

So, it seems a builder is on board. Presumably that means a tender has been accepted, contracts have been signed and money committed?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The reason I am upset with it is not because they are building it for us, but the intentions it shows, there's a reason that this has precedence over anything first team related is obvious. It's a bit like your girlfriend buying you an expensive necklace, the amount spent and the thought is lovely.. but it's for her good not yours (unless you are that way inclined, of course). I don't think we'll get any good from this except a younger first team long term, and higher prices received for the players as they are homegrown.

I'm not saying every single move he does is bad, but the bigger picture to it all is quite obvious when you put the jigsaw pieces together. They also use this as an amount spent on us as a club and us fans should appreciate that, what I'm hinting it is it isn't really an amount spent on us, it's a side investment that we shouldn't be be so grateful of. I had my views very early on about his plan and it seems he is still going at it, so I'll stick by my views, this is just part of his plan - but viewed as a great move for our club by a lot of our fans, but his intentions paint the picture as to why he is doing things and it's not for us fans.

However you view it it does increase the value of the club. Not just his wealth. If he moves on, which he will, presumably, at some point, the players that he leaves are not as important as the potential conveyor belt of talent that the club can produce.

If you follow your logic through there is a chance that the answer is to close the academy and put all the investment into transfer fees that will, presumably give us a better first team, but for how long?

It's a bit like selling the ground and leasing it back all the while spending the money from the sale of The Valley on players. Sure we might have a great couple of years success on the pitch but when those players get too old and retire we will have to rent the ground and still replace the players.

I understand that there is a benefit to RD from this as well, but I think you are struggling to suggest that a great Academy is for hi and no benefit to the club or the desires of the fans.

Just because you don't like the way he is doing a lot of the things, and nor do I, doesn't mean that we have to look for reasons to rubbish the good things he is doing. At least I don't think we do.
    This break even obsession, admirable though it maybe, is at the root of discontent here. It seems as if this is the priority objective, way ahead of footballing ambition, and that means that such a good thing will be used for purposes other than they would normally at a club of our size.

Unless the football ambition changes, it will be a future ownership who reaps the benefits of the Academy in a true footballing sense. And possibly a long wait before supporters feel the benefit.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

This item, cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-youth-development-premier-league-football-league-2925591.aspx#1rrIw6DQ8QV7wmgX.99 posted on the OS on 28 Jan has this bit: "Also present were CEO Katrien Miere, Chief Financial Officer David Joyes, the lead contractors and the architect".

So, it seems a builder is on board. Presumably that means a tender has been accepted, contracts have been signed and money committed?
    It was an excellent tender and the builder has now been named as O'Reilly. If you wish to inspect his previous works contact -

Hit things with a branch, will not get any sense out of you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think you should feel too bad about it. My five year old makes more sense.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Why aren't the Club shouting this from the roof tops. What's the new Comms Manager doing?

Whatever you say about this regime, this is excellent news and a massive commitment into developing the future of the Club.

With a main Contractor in place, this work will commence sooner rather than later.

Great news, well pleased, but will still be protesting this weekend and continue to until they listen, understand and involve us.

• Options
    I was speaking to my cousin who works for centre circle security, hes normally at the matches but for the past few weeks had been doing 12 hour nightshifts at the training ground where there have been a number of reported attempted burglaries. They are also worried about protesters at the training ground
  • Options

. They are also worried about protesters at the training ground

Seth, becomes a legend in his own life time.
  • Options
    Nearly put away my black and white scarf after reading that.

Nearly...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    makes you realise how much Roland will cash in if we don't get him out!
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

makes you realise how much Roland will cash in if we don't get him out!

Also makes you realise how much he's pumping into the club to build and redevelop.

He may be a total C-bomb, but it can't be denied that this was a great move by the Rat.