Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Birmingham - Post match views

Take any Powell in, out, shaking it all about to the other ongoing threads please.

Use this one to talk about todays game only please.

Comments

• Options
    I'm gutted after that. I heard boos at the end and I'm struggling to believe they were justified.

Going against what I've read on here already, I thought we played alright. There's no way Birmingham deserved to win. No way.

Reza and Ajdarevic looked good. The keeper was fine. The poorest players were Jackson and Sordell.

It's looking like we are going down and I really don't know what the answer is to our scoring problems. The scramble near the end where we failed to score summed it up.
  • Options
    We played better football today and created chances, just didn`t take them. Still got beat comfortably in the end by a team who are not great by any means. Can`t see any way out of trouble at the moment!
  • Options
    Wouldn't say we deserved to loose looking back, but no end product and absolutely stupid mistakes cost us dearly. Wouldn't be surprised to see Evina never play for us again.
  • Options
    Didn't deserve to lose 2-0 but obviously you need to score in football and we can't.
    Evina was terrible today - miskicks and poor positioning could have cost us more. Jackson was invisible and Sordell doesn't look interested.
    We need some wingers and flair in midfield. Passed the ball okay at times today but never looked like scoring.
    We look like relegation fodder...
  • Options
    That scramble at the end was a shambles. Loads of pussy footing and nobody prepared to leather it
  • Options
    bringing PP on with a 5 mins to go ? what is the point, would have brought him on when he brought church on when it was 1-0
  • Options
    We were the better side. Birmingham were woeful. Their first goal was poor defending and the second was a class team goal. Other than that we just outplayed them without a final ball/shot.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just got back. We played well. Birmingham had a 15 minute spell of domination in the first half during which they scored, then got their second on the break after pressure from us. Classic away performance from them I guess.

Lots of possession and half chances on goal, but none that really caused Randolph to make any big saves. In a weird way its almost an encouraging performance.

I don't think Powell will get the boot after this but his time must be running out. If we lose the next 2 I think he's gone.
  • Options
    I personally think we played really well other than two lapses. Their second goal was a good goal but absolutely awful defending.

Attacking we were the better side apart from Sordell, I would have rather had ten men on than him. Church coming on seemed more positive, he's crap but he runs and clearly has effort, Sordell on paper is far better but just doesn't out in any effort which infuriates most

Adarajevic (sp) is absolutely fantastic. Good to see a player who really is good in midfield, whilst the word "potential" can be used as a defence on the Brighton fans forum now.

Reza seemed lively and wanted the ball. Good strength for a little fella. Looked like a dive for the one he was booked for, although was unlucky with the others.

Thuram seems veeeeery casual to collect the ball at times but couldn't really see him at fault from where I was sitting for the goals and made a couple of good saves

Wouldn't mind Randolph back....

Evina is awful, which is a shame because I really want to like him, the sooner wiggins is back the better.

Really starting to love lawrie Wilson. He never stops for the cause.

Diego Poyet looks very very promising, far better than many academy players we have seen come through the ranks, just been held back because the positions he plays in are areas we seem to have a lot of depth in.

Cousins looked fairly good going forward in a more attacking role.

Overall I think that today was a really good performance and I think we actually deserved to win that (and I don't get biased about these things)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    would someone tell me if the attacking exercise in the PP Reza video was actually put into practice with crosses coming in, or did it not happen because we played 4 cm's?
  • Options
    Well, I thought we played really well, not crafty enough in the final third, but that scoreline (which is the most important thing unfortunately) does not justify how we played. Positives in AA, and Poyet. Reza looks like he could be a handful but just falls down to easily.

I think PP might have been carrying a knock as I hardly saw him doing any warming up the entire match, apart from a couple of times when he strolled up and down the line. Might explain why he didnt come on sooner.

• Options
    Performance did deserve some reward, but we are now in that place where shit happens. Agree Reza an AJ looked impressive, good signings. However, still just another defeat ! Birmingham, worse side than us walk away with three points, sums up our dire position.

Surprisingly the might force that is Wigan according to some on here, managed to fail to score and lose at Huddersfield !

• Options
    The whole thing was piss poor, dire...call it what you want.

Sordell offers nothing to the team that I can see.
    Reza tried and eventually tired but I think there's a good player in there.
    Poyet looks good but needs movement ahead of him so more passes can go forwards.
    Ajdarevic looked classy, he too tired but he wanted the ball and used it pretty well.
    Cousins isn't a wide player.
    Evina was shocking.
    PP I guess we didn't see enough.
    The keeper...where do I start? Apart from the fact he can't catch it nor kick it, he's great. He actually got lobbed by a ball boy about 10 mins into the 2nd half.

Apart from that, it seems there is just no plan. I'm afraid that unless a new man comes in and replaces CP or CP can find some inspiration then we're down. This season has all the feeling of the season under Parky when we eventually succumbed...playing teams that are no good but losing all the same.

I'm officially worried now.
  • Options
    Get the popcorn out lads this thread is gonna be very interesting.
    For what it's worth Iv had enough of Powell now but let's do positives
    Thuram no where near as bad as people make out.
    Poyet is gonna be in the prem if we don't sort our selfs out.
    Ajderavic is a class player very berbatov like so why play him left wing quite laughable really .
    Reza, Morrison and wood ok and cousins plenty of heart.

They were the positives and I'm depressed about every thing
    Else Charlton tonight :( lol .
  • Options
    Too many players playing out of position. They might not be world class but would help us to have some proper tactics

would someone tell me if the attacking exercise in the PP Reza video was actually put into practice with crosses coming in, or did it not happen because we played 4 cm's?

Exactly
  • Options
    Impressed with Poyet and AA. Reza showed glimpses.

On the other side of things, Evina was awful. Once again for me Green showed why he's not good enough to start. About 5 opportunities to cross and they either hit the first man or went too far over. And his free kick was dreadful.

We are clearly trying to play a different type of football without Yann. More to feet with a narrow ball-playing midfield which might take some getting used to. In the first half we created a few opportunities from this. While Cousins looks less effective in a slightly wider role, he should have equalised.

Powell didn't help himself with the subs today. Why he brought on Church I don't know. We tired towards the end and struggled to create much.

We were never 2 goals worse than Birmingham but that seems to be the way at the moment.
  • Options
    It wasn't a particularly bad performance. Very impressed with young Poyet and AA looked useful too. The goalie did ok - didn't have much chance with either goal. Disappointed with Reza who looked a bit out of his depth to be honest. But the bottom line is we needed to win but never threatened to do so. Maybe lack of threat from wide positions had a lot to do with that. It was obvious that Cousins was not comfortable on the wing. Overall we look like a side who doesn't believe in themselves.
  • Options
    Ajdarevic was absolute quality. Incredible first touch, vision and skill.

Reza was very very good, just needs someone decent next to him, Maybe Pete the pole could do this.

Sordell is just awful and lazy, has the anticipation of a slug.

Evina needs to go, give one of our youth a chance.

Jacko was a lot better today.

As for our youngsters, cousins and Poyet, they were the heart of our team today, so great to see.

We didn't deserve to lose but at the end of the day we did lose.

The only way I can see us escaping relegation is a line up of:

Hamer

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Wiggins

Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Ajdarevic

Pete the pole
    Reza
  • Options
    The best you can say is that we didn't look any worse than before the comings and goings. Reza is skillful and quick but lightweight, Astrid is skillful but a bit slow, Poyet looks a prospect, Thuram was competent.

Maybe they will all 'gell' as they say. But it's hard to see us staying up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shamkat said:

Evina was shocking.

I had a dig at Evina during the match, but honestly, he just came up against a player who was much better than him.
  • Options
    1-0 down, desperately needing a goal - on comes Simon Church! Sums it all up...

Ajdarevic should have moved into the number 10 role at half time with the awful Sordell going off...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Two poor sides, with us looking slighter the better of the two. Noticing Thruam getting marks of 3 & 4 on the player marks thread, other than a couple of poor kicks what did he do wrong? Made a couple of very good stops in one on one's.

Ajdarevic is completely wasted on the left. He needs to be playing central midfield, thought he had a very good game and looked a classy player. If Powell goes I suspect Jackson will be dropped and AA will take his place.

Like the fact that Poyet is always looking for the ball. He ran out of legs with about 20 mins to go - although he probably wasn't helped by the pitch.

My knee didn't allow me to stand up for the Reza booking, I'm told it was harsh, but to be honest he can only blame himself. He went down cheaply several times in the first half and the ref was looking for an excuse to book him. He looks lively though.

I've seen us play much worse this season and we at least tried to knock it about.

Evina was shocking. He looked like he had never played football before, let alone played full back. Powell really should have put him out of his misery.

Sordell is a total waste of space. His lack of effort is unforgivable. Although when he ran straight into Reza he at least gave me laugh.

Our real problems are the total lack of pace throughout the side and the lack of width. Everything is done soooooo slowly and we have no-one who looks a threat from wide areas - hopefully we can get this kid in from Liverpool and he can make an impact.

Ultimately without 3-4 players in we are only heading in one direction.
  • Options
    When ppl have said "Powell out" Ive always thought any manager would struggle with this squad, so is it really his fault?

But then I look at what Pulis has done at Palarse and a new manager with new ideas can make a difference.
  • Options

Something's got to change, whether it be the manager, or we bring a new attacking coach.

Positives
    Plenty of possession
    The swedish fella looks good on the ball, nice touches.
    Reza looks sharp, good movement.
    Poyet excellent.

Negatives
    Despite all the possession we looked toothless again
    Sordell is utter wank
    Evina well out of his depth
    Jackson..nice fella, but shouldn't be starting. Especially if it's preventing Cousins from playing in the middle.
    My god we miss wiggins and Solly. Tey make such a difference attacking wise as well as defensively.
    Danny Green melted the tackle again which led to their second goal.
    Powell getting players warm and then leaving them by the dugout for 5 minutes.

2-0 flattered them but they have macheda on loan, we've got Sordell. That's the difference.

We are in real trouble and something needs to change quick.

You talk a lot of sense valley Gary.
  • Options

shamkat said:

Evina was shocking.

I had a dig at Evina during the match, but honestly, he just came up against a player who was much better than him.
    Disagree. Evina was equally as bad with the ball at his feet as he was trying to defend.
  • Options
    Pulls appointment looking like a genius move tbh
  • Options
    Very rarely post but after the performance today....... For me the touches, tackles, creativity that got people going came from the new lads whose names I can't pronounce. I love Chris Powell as a charlton legend but as a manager at the moment NO
  • Options
    Very impressed with Adjaravic and Poyet.

We played some good passing football, best football I've seen us play in a Long while but when we got to the edge of the box, we just froze.

Jackson needs to be in impact sub IMO.

Sordell infuriated me in the second half when he could have passed to Adjaravic in plenty of space but tried to shoot when he had no chance.

Don't get me started on Evina. No heart, no guts. Shit

Referee was awful and I have no doubt that the reza 'dive' wasnt a dive at all, looked a clear cut penalty to me
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Ajdarevic was absolute quality. Incredible first touch, vision and skill.

Reza was very very good, just needs someone decent next to him, Maybe Pete the pole could do this.

Sordell is just awful and lazy, has the anticipation of a slug.

Evina needs to go, give one of our youth a chance.

Jacko was a lot better today.

As for our youngsters, cousins and Poyet, they were the heart of our team today, so great to see.

We didn't deserve to lose but at the end of the day we did lose.

The only way I can see us escaping relegation is a line up of:

Hamer

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Wiggins

Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Ajdarevic

Pete the pole
    Reza