Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Golf

Comments

• Options
    Feel quite fortunate to have got a round in at Austin Lodge about a fortnight ago.
    A glorious Monday afternoon in the late October sunshine, course was in decent enough shape, a good challenge as always and absolutely knackering.

Woodlands is a decent course but whenever I've played it in the summer it's scorched with very little on the fairways.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Gutted about Austin Lodge. Been a member up there for 2/3 years and will miss the place immensely. (how anyone can call it a shithole must play at Wentworth every week)
    What i wont miss is the feeling of uttter exhaustion after each round. We have moved over to Woodlands as the offer was unmissable and after 3 rounds we're quite happy there. Just a shame the wet weather lately has meant we have yet to play it in the best condition but it shows promise An initial round of 77 helped although followed by an 85 & 89........ not so good!
    Regarding the acreage discrepancy i believe that the Club House and surrounding area are not part of the deal and expect the owner to build on it Could be quite profitable!

Don't play wentworth every week but to be honest wentworth isn't a bad track , by calling Austin lodge a shithole by that I mean it isn't 1 of the better courses in the kent area ok every golf course should be respected, but every time I played their it was always in bad nick and the greens terrible .
  • Options
    <part of the Austin Lodge appeal was the fantastic countryside (i never really got to see much of the cut stuff) not dissimilar to lullingstone and woodlands in that regard ..was a good test of Golf but on reflection that area is probably over broked as far as golf courses are concerned ...shame though
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Gutted about Austin Lodge. Been a member up there for 2/3 years and will miss the place immensely. (how anyone can call it a shithole must play at Wentworth every week)
    What i wont miss is the feeling of uttter exhaustion after each round. We have moved over to Woodlands as the offer was unmissable and after 3 rounds we're quite happy there. Just a shame the wet weather lately has meant we have yet to play it in the best condition but it shows promise An initial round of 77 helped although followed by an 85 & 89........ not so good!
    Regarding the acreage discrepancy i believe that the Club House and surrounding area are not part of the deal and expect the owner to build on it Could be quite profitable!

Was a member at woodlands a few years ago when I was getting out at least once a week. 77 is a good round in these conditions although the winter tee boxes on 3,4,7 & 12 makes the holes a lot easier.
    The greens on 1,8,14 & 16 always seemed to have problems draining away water and they always seemed to cut the greens a little long.
    Good grub in clubhouse and Phil the pro always helpful.
    Gave up membership as couldn't get out enough to warrant it. Have only played twice in the last year.
  • Options
    Hoping for some decent weather as I will be playing at East Herts on Friday.

Need to get my swing in the groove as I will be playing in Hawaii next week.

Looking forward to getting the old shorts on and to play with the sun on our backs.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

Hoping for some decent weather as I will be playing at East Herts on Friday.

Snows on it's way then Del :-)

Hawaii? Lucky sod. Enjoy mate

• Options
    Friend of a friend says there is uproar at the Royal Mid Surrey notice of proposed new member 'Mr Joseph Barton' lol
    apparently last years captain proposed and seconded by this years captain
    #footballfriend
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Friend of a friend says there is uproar at the Royal Mid Surrey notice of proposed new member 'Mr Joseph Barton' lol
    apparently last years captain proposed and seconded by this years captain
    #footballfriend

@oohaahmortimer‌ Upstanding pillar of the community just the type you need with good social skills and the sort to uphold the traditions and etiquette of the game. Can't see the problem, especially if you have been offered directors box seats at QPR for the next ten years as a proposer and seconder. :-)

Edit; Scrap that last bit.
  • Options
    Just booked a decent deal @ westerham via groupon.

Can anyone recommend any courses in decent condition around NWKent to play this month?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Just booked a decent deal @ westerham via groupon.

Can anyone recommend any courses in decent condition around NWKent to play this month?

Westerham nice course imagine very wet though this time of year.

If u want to play a decent course for this time of year bit of a trot though ,try north foreland always in excellent condition good test of golf if breeze is blowing off the sea , bit parkland and a bit linksy ,also food is excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Great memories of 6 rounds of golf at Ka'anapali courses on Maui before Christmas. Perfect weather and greens were almost unplayably-fast. (Get an idea of the conditions by watching the Tournament of Champions on Sky this coming weekend at the nearby Plantation Course).
    Very different conditions at my club the Manor of Groves in Sawbridgeworth where we played last Saturday.
    At least Summer is not too far away.
  • Options
    Hurry up springtime! As mentioned in earlier posts me and my playing partners moved over to Woodlands Manor when Austin Lodge closed and have spent most rounds contesting the conditions as much as the course. Last Wednesday however, with the ground thawed out and no rain to speak of for a couple of weeks, i managed a best ever score of 73 (+3) despite bogeying the last 4 holes. I am a 12 Hcp honest :smile:
    So looking forward to a spring/summer full of low scoring rounds. Probably won't happen but we can all dream!
  • Options
    Heading for first round of year on Saturday. Few of fellow Cafc fans heading to Weald of Kent, just hope it has chance to dry out a bit.
  • Options
    Playing Friday, dont know where yet but haven't played for about 10 months and praying for ok weather. Can't wait
  • Options

Playing Friday, dont know where yet but haven't played for about 10 months and praying for ok weather. Can't wait

Send the wife, she's bound to win.
  • Options

Heading for first round of year on Saturday. Few of fellow Cafc fans heading to Weald of Kent, just hope it has chance to dry out a bit.

Played there quite a bit over the winter, they're keeping it in good nick compared to the other pay-as-you-play golf courses around Maidstone. They struggle to keep 6-8 open if it rains.

How was it?
  • Options
    Played Thorndon Park last Friday. A great course with some fantastic holes, in good condition considering the weather. Opened in 1920, this club prides itself on playing proper tees and greens all year round.
    Playing Mill Green this coming Friday. Not expecting the same conditions there.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Played Weald of Kent a couple of times. Quite good but a lot of infuriating ditches in the middle of fairways!
  • Options
    just been invited to play Gleneagles on a corporate in November, can't wait for that - but looks a bit of a bugger to get to, seems quite a way from Glasgow? (anyone else been)
  • Options
    Just played The Grove on an invitation from a company i deal with and was very impressed.Just getting back into my golf now after an injury which stopped me playing for two years and a move away to Herne Bay where I've just joined Chestfield Golf Club and hoping to get back playing every week now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hadn't played in over a year and done Ruxley in 91 the other day. Was pleased with that
  • Options
    Been teaching my son to play recently which has meant I have been practicing and working on my own swing. Shot 82 last week so happy with the progress.
  • Options
    Played at Celtic manor over the weekend! Montgomerie and roman courses! What a resort!!
  • Options
    Has anyone played Maylands golf and country club?
  • Options
    Playing Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus this evening if the bloody weather cools down.
  • Options

just been invited to play Gleneagles on a corporate in November, can't wait for that - but looks a bit of a bugger to get to, seems quite a way from Glasgow? (anyone else been)

I've played at Gleaneagles. It's about a 45 mile drive from Glasgow if remember rightly. Cracking venue.
  • Options
    chestfield golf club is lovely
  • Options

Played at Celtic manor over the weekend! Montgomerie and roman courses! What a resort!!

played down there about half a dozen times, both those courses much better than the Twenty Ten - although the clubhouse experience etc on the twenty ten is good
  • Options

I've played at Gleaneagles. It's about a 45 mile drive from Glasgow if remember rightly. Cracking venue.
    it looks like Glasgow is closer but someone just said to me better to fly to Edinburgh?, personally I can't see that from looking at the map
  • Options
    Recently went to Spain for a four day break to the Montecastillo golf resort. Nobody could find a fault. The course (jacknicklaus design), the hotel, the food, the price. Unbelievable!!