Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I feckin love this boy.......... :)
    https://youtu.be/ZYeMYyuLGMA
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This is Idle_jr's hound Rufus (which is indeed a dog's name). Was taken into the vets where Idle jr works when a few weeks old, with a broken leg. He belonged to a homeless man who couldnt look after him properly, and didnt try to reclaim him. Idle_jr, being a soft touch, brought him home. Little fella has grown quickly, now at 16 months he's a sweet thing indeed, but thinks every other dog he meets wants to play. He's starting to learn that they don't.
  • Options
    Any advice on dry ball bags?

Just caught a glimpse of the mutts nuts and they look very dry, skin is flaky. Feel sorry for the fella but not sure I can bring myself to moisturising his bollocks.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Just caught a glimpse of the mutts nuts and they look very dry, skin is flaky. Feel sorry for the fella but not sure I can bring myself to moisturising his bollocks.

Add coconut paste to the diet, dependant on size/breed start with half a teaspoon and build up slowly. To quick and it will give him the two bob bits, coconut oil or paste can be applied externally don't be so shy ;)
    Adding oily fish to his diet will help as will a raw diet, if on a raw diet then allergic reaction to a particular meat (chicken is high up the list) Give me a shout if that's the case if have a guy in Devon who can run a allergy test for £15 up against £100 + at a vets.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

cafcpolo said:

Add coconut paste to the diet, dependant on size/breed start with half a teaspoon and build up slowly. To quick and it will give him the two bob bits, coconut oil or paste can be applied externally don't be so shy ;)
    Adding oily fish to his diet will help as will a raw diet, if on a raw diet then allergic reaction to a particular meat (chicken is high up the list) Give me a shout if that's the case if have a guy in Devon who can run a allergy test for £15 up against £100 + at a vets.
    The better half can take care of any external applications. Can’t have him thinking he’s taking the alpha mantle with that sort of TLC :wink:

Cheers though fella, will give the coconut paste a go. He’s on Orijen Six Fish dry food and has been for a good while so hoping it’s not allergies.
  • Options
    That's a good quality grub, but sadly as mine did for no apparent reason they developed allergies to something in it. They start off with dry skin, then start scratching so bad they damage the coat which then turns into dematitis (sp) vets will normally give them a steroid injection which helps but doesn't cure the cause. There are lots of homeopathic remedies out there which are my preference to expensive chemicals.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

That's a good quality grub, but sadly as mine did for no apparent reason they developed allergies to something in it. They start off with dry skin, then start scratching so bad they damage the coat which then turns into dematitis (sp) vets will normally give them a steroid injection which helps but doesn't cure the cause. There are lots of homeopathic remedies out there which are my preference to expensive chemicals.

Yeah, a lot of research went into his food before settling on that. Breeder recommended Royal Canin Bulldog based on vets say so, but found it was not the best (or close too).

Will try the paste, etc and see how it goes. If not, might be in touch re allergies test. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Just wanted to seek advice and share sad news. My father-in-law lives for his animals and at 82 is still quite fit living on his own. Today he was walking his dogs on the beach in Malmo at 7am, usual for him. A couple of other 'big' dogs rushed out of a camper van and one grabbed his Chihuahua and mauled it. Suffice to say he managed to get it to the vets but after operating today there was nothing they could do for the poor little girl.

The bit I'm angry with is the two blokes with the dogs had the nerve to yell abuse at him and didn't give any details as to their identity. He's reported the incident to police but I'm curious if any offence has been committed.
  • Options

Just wanted to seek advice and share sad news. My father-in-law lives for his animals and at 82 is still quite fit living on his own. Today he was walking his dogs on the beach in Malmo at 7am, usual for him. A couple of other 'big' dogs rushed out of a camper van and one grabbed his Chihuahua and mauled it. Suffice to say he managed to get it to the vets but after operating today there was nothing they could do for the poor little girl.

The bit I'm angry with is the two blokes with the dogs had the nerve to yell abuse at him and didn't give any details as to their identity. He's reported the incident to police but I'm curious if any offence has been committed.

So sorry to hear this, its horrific witnessing dog attacks/fights let alone one that takes the life of an innocent dog if what I was told when one of my dogs was recently attacked in the street. A Dog on Dog attack is not an offence. However, when it was also reported that I received four bites from the offending dogs, I received an Auto response from the police saying they would not be pursuing the matter. The local dog warden on behalf of the council has issued a warning further offences will be met with court action. They took to taking the piss out me in the street until sent them film via fb of their actions as I now wear a camera similar to security guys. Now they give me a wide berth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sad to hear that. If we lost our dog, it would feel the same as losing a human. R.I..P.
  • Options
    I've only just come across this thread, so I thought I would join in as we have an 18 month old Continental Bulldog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_bulldog).

As far as the allergic reaction/scratching mentioned above is concerned we were able to get this under control by feeding him with a dry food that is very low in protein. We were feeding him one with a protein content of 27% and he was scratching himself silly, we have since moved to 24% and now 20% protein and everything is back to normal. Well, as far as a Bulldog can be considered to be normal.

If someone can tell me how to post a photo from my computer here I will share a photo.
  • Options

I've only just come across this thread, so I thought I would join in as we have an 18 month old Continental Bulldog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_bulldog).

As far as the allergic reaction/scratching mentioned above is concerned we were able to get this under control by feeding him with a dry food that is very low in protein. We were feeding him one with a protein content of 27% and he was scratching himself silly, we have since moved to 24% and now 20% protein and everything is back to normal. Well, as far as a Bulldog can be considered to be normal.

If someone can tell me how to post a photo from my computer here I will share a photo.

click on attach file below, attach photo removing any duplicates posting to thread.
  • Options

See that elsewhere, not a fan of snakes but can honestly say Id have done something similar to save one of mine. Maybe I'd chuck the wife at it as a distraction first. ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

See that elsewhere, not a fan of snakes but can honestly say Id have done something similar to save one of mine. Maybe I'd chuck the wife at it as a distraction first. ;)
    What has the poor snake done to deserve that?
  • Options
    A Poodle and a German Shepherd are sitting on the floor in the vets. The Shepherd turns to the Poodle and says “what you in for you don’t look ill”

The Poodle says “my master and misstress went out the other night and left me locked in the lounge, I got bored after an hour so chewed the sofa and one of the table legs”

The Shepard says “so, why are you here” the Poodle replies “they are getting me put to sleep” “ fucking hell” says the Shepard, “ that’s a bit strong “

“You can talk” says the Poodle “ you don’t look ill either”

“ don’t go there says the Shepard, my master left to work away the other day, on his way out he patted me on the head and told me to look after his wife while he was away”

“I never left her side and yesterday evening she was in the bath and I was sleeping outside on the landing, I heard her get out the bath so looked up and there she was, bent over the bath drying her feet.

“ I couldn’t help myself, I jumped up, wrapped my paws round her waist and humped her from behind”

“Fucking hell” says the Poodle “is she getting you put down as well” “No” said the Shepard “ she’s getting my nails clipped” 😜

• Options
    Just got back from a lovely walk along the beach and into town with my wife and the dogs. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Interesting about allergies, when I got Gilbert from the Border Collie trust 4 years ago, he was was on a meat/fish based dry food and was eating well and seemingly no issues.

I continued feeding him on this diet up until about 2 years ago when he started having problems with his stomach which resulted in continual diahorrea.

After extensive tests turns out he’s allergic to all meat and salmon! So for a year I had to cook him fresh white fish, sweet potato and rice twice a day, I often used to ask if he’d like a glass of wine with his meal, he ate better than me!

Thankfully I’ve since found a dry and wet equivalent from Arden Grange and he’s as sweet as a nut, thank goodness.

Dogs eh, the things we do for them but they’re worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

T_C_E said:

Just got back from a lovely walk along the beach and into town with my wife and the dogs. :)

You should have got your wife to stick out her tongue too!
    An extra one today we've had up to 6 Sheps, a Rottie and a Dobie out together. Quite an impressive sight and only two don't like each other.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    As a treat, my wife buys dog frankfurters for the dog from Tescos. I was just slicing one up for him and was licking my lips - it looked and smelt delicious. That and the other day having similar thoughts about his good boy chicken bites treats - they smell a bit like salami. I never thought I'd start fancying the dog's food. I might need help. Mind you, they are his favourites so maybe it makes some sense.
  • Options

As a treat, my wife buys dog frankfurters for the dog from Tescos. I was slicing one up for him and was licking my lips - it looked delicious. That and the other day having similar thoughts about his good boy chicken bites treats - they smell a bit like salami. I never thought I'd start fancying the dog's food. I might need help. Mind you, they are his favourites so maybe it makes some sense.

If your nose becomes wet and you start humping guests legs you need to go to the vets doctors.
  • Options
    Oh bugger, I need to get an emergency appointment!
  • Options

As a treat, my wife buys dog frankfurters for the dog from Tescos. I was just slicing one up for him and was licking my lips - it looked and smelt delicious. That and the other day having similar thoughts about his good boy chicken bites treats - they smell a bit like salami. I never thought I'd start fancying the dog's food. I might need help. Mind you, they are his favourites so maybe it makes some sense.

Our cupboards have about 30 tins from B&M 50p handy for training, Bailey takes his medication hidden inside them. ;)
  • Options
    Not sure I would fancy eating one of those!
  • Options
    Giaccomo enjoying the last of the summer sun!