Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

I thought Ghost in the Shell was OK. I saw it last week. Knew almost nothing about it before going so didn't expect too much. Fairly entertaining. 7/10.

Saw Fast and Furious 8 last night and it was the worst film I've seen in a while. Never seen any of the previous seven films and I don't think I'll be interested in any more of the franchise. Everything in the film looks so pretentious. I didn't know what was happening and didn't care either. I simply couldn't wait for the film to end. Two hours wasted. 5/10.

5 sounds extraordinarily generous, Jessie.youll never get that time back.

Jessie, relax and watch them from the start. The first one was a bit of a game changer the next 2 are good fun but suffer from missing some main characters from 4 onwards they are wonderful action movies to be embraced
  • Options
    Great classic style action movies.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Fiiish said:

So the new Pirates film will be subtitled Dead Men Tell No Tales in the US and Salazar's Revenge in the UK, Australia, and Europe.

There have been other prominent examples of this in recent years. Anyone know why the title will change across English speaking countries? I can perhaps understand why it is given a different name in non-English speaking countries but can't see why the name would change between the UK and the US (besides perhaps some focus group research determined the titles would be better localised)?

It's purely marketing. Each territory has a marketing team/ approach suited to that country, and sometimes they decide a different title works better there and will get more 'cut through'. To us, it seems ridiculous most of the time, as we are capable of grasping either concept.

In the case of Salazar's Revenge being the European title, Disney have had to change it in Portugal because of António de Oliveira Salazar, the former politician who helped create the authoritarian state in the 1930s (I don't know anything about him beyond what I just read on Wiki, but I assume he wasn't a nice chap)!

Disney would have loved to have changed Captain America: Civil War to Avengers 3 (internally they referred to it as Avengers 2.5) but contractually weren't allowed. They know the audience familiarity with 'Avengers' is much, much bigger than 'Captain America'.
  • Options
    Carter said:

IdleHans said:

I thought Ghost in the Shell was OK. I saw it last week. Knew almost nothing about it before going so didn't expect too much. Fairly entertaining. 7/10.

Saw Fast and Furious 8 last night and it was the worst film I've seen in a while. Never seen any of the previous seven films and I don't think I'll be interested in any more of the franchise. Everything in the film looks so pretentious. I didn't know what was happening and didn't care either. I simply couldn't wait for the film to end. Two hours wasted. 5/10.

Jessie, relax and watch them from the start. The first one was a bit of a game changer the next 2 are good fun but suffer from missing some main characters from 4 onwards they are wonderful action movies to be embraced
    I like action movies. It's just that I feel this one (and probably all the other ones of the franchise) basically lacks a story-line. Plus many of the car-driving scenes look too unrealistic.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

So the new Pirates film will be subtitled Dead Men Tell No Tales in the US and Salazar's Revenge in the UK, Australia, and Europe.

There have been other prominent examples of this in recent years. Anyone know why the title will change across English speaking countries? I can perhaps understand why it is given a different name in non-English speaking countries but can't see why the name would change between the UK and the US (besides perhaps some focus group research determined the titles would be better localised)?

Encino Man was titled California Man in the UK because the marketing people thought everyone in the UK didn't know where Encino was.
  • Options

Carter said:

IdleHans said:

I like action movies. It's just that I feel this one (and probably all the other ones of the franchise) basically lacks a story-line. Plus many of the car-driving scenes look too unrealistic.
    I'm not going to convince you am I?

I think something like James Bond has to have some depth to it and a proper plot. The fast and furious movies don't really, they are well shot, have some brilliant over the top fight scenes and driving (totally agree with you, it's stupidly unrealistic) stuff and properly cheesey dialogue and humour. Fortunately they know what they are now and I don't think take themselves too seriously.

Go on, turn your phone off for a day or so and go nuts for some insanity
  • Options
    Old film but saw Moneyball last night, really enjoyed it and was an interesting insight into how the system works especially with our current set up at the club
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Old film but saw Moneyball last night, really enjoyed it and was an interesting insight into how the system works especially with our current set up at the club

Yeah I watched it again recently and I swear it either inspired or encouraged Roland to continue with his bullshit experiment.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Carter said:

IdleHans said:

I'm not going to convince you am I?

I think something like James Bond has to have some depth to it and a proper plot. The fast and furious movies don't really, they are well shot, have some brilliant over the top fight scenes and driving (totally agree with you, it's stupidly unrealistic) stuff and properly cheesey dialogue and humour. Fortunately they know what they are now and I don't think take themselves too seriously.

Go on, turn your phone off for a day or so and go nuts for some insanity
    I see your point. Guess it's just not my cup of tea. :wink:
  • Options
    Went to a preview of Lady Macbeth this morning.

Only the second time I've ever walked out of a film at the cinema.

Absolute crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Went to a preview of Lady Macbeth this morning.

Only the second time I've ever walked out of a film at the cinema.

Absolute crap.

The trailer looks like more style than substance.
  • Options
    I've viewed in the last couple of weeks 2 films.

The shallows

Brilliantly shot and for my money a brilliant film until the final pay off. Then the belief that I had readily suspended was pushed too far. Worth watching and has a couple of bits that will make your wife throw scalding hot tea all over the gaff.

5/10

Hitler, the rise of evil

This is utter crap, don't waste any hours on it. one of those films that remind the viewing public that everyone needs a paycheck

1/10
  • Options
    Carter said:

The shallows

Brilliantly shot and for my money a brilliant film until the final pay off. Then the belief that I had readily suspended was pushed too far. Worth watching and has a couple of bits that will make your wife throw scalding hot tea all over the gaff.

5/10

Hitler, the rise of evil

This is utter crap, don't waste any hours on it. one of those films that remind the viewing public that everyone needs a paycheck

1/10

I was well disappointed by The Shallows but, to be fair, my wife and son really rate it.
  • Options
    It's had a lot of shit reviews but I liked Mine.
    I think the idea had the potential to be a 9/10 and while it didn't quite live up to that, it's still a good film imo.
    Seen some reviews give it 1/10, it's not that bad!!!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Carter said:

The shallows

5/10

Hitler, the rise of evil

1/10

I was well disappointed by The Shallows but, to be fair, my wife and son really rate it.
    I thought it was silly but fun. The way the camera leers over her legs is a little much. I could deal with that, but could see why some women might be unimpressed.
  • Options
    Saw Ghost in the Shell

I liked it. 7/10
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Finally got round to watching Rogue One.......thoroughly enjoyed it and brings the story right up to 'A New Hope'.

Easily the best of the bunch since the original 3.

• Options
    Watched La La Land, thought it was an okay film but winning quite a few Oscars? I didn't see anything particularly special about it. Well, maybe the costumes were great - Emma Stone looked gorgeous in those dresses - but that was it. The story was very simple (almost a bit cliche I have to say). 6.5/10.
  • Options
    Saw The Promise last night. About the Armenian genocide by Turkey in 1914.
    Turgid and boring. A pity as the subject deserves to be exposed, this film missed the mark.
    4/10.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Get Out - 8 out of 10.

Funny , scary and ever so slightly odd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Get Out - 8 out of 10.

Funny , scary and ever so slightly odd.

Still haven't seen it, heard nothing but good things!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sorry JIMMy - lol'd by accident. And I can confirm that Get Out is really good. Incidentally does anyone know how to undo a lol or a like one has made?
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Sorry JIMMy - lol'd by accident. And I can confirm that Get Out is really good. Incidentally does anyone know how to undo a lol or a like one has made?

Just click on it again
  • Options
    I'll take all the LOLs I can get!

Beds - no more proper reviews!?
  • Options
    Thanks Beds.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'll take all the LOLs I can get!

Beds - no more proper reviews!?

A certain argumentative poster ( usually on politics) made a few sarky comments about the reviews so I stopped. I've still been watching plenty of films
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Beds, I believe there are far more people who find your reviews helpful than there are detractors. It's just a cheap shot to use in a separate argument cos that's what you're known for. Doesn't mean anything.

When I did it professionally, there was a website dedicated to reviewing the reviewers for a while. People actually earnt money slagging off my reviews! . Didn't stop me though. If you feel like it, get back on it. Your efforts are appreciated.

Cheers mate
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Beds, I believe there are far more people who find your reviews helpful than there are detractors. It's just a cheap shot to use in a separate argument cos that's what you're known for. Doesn't mean anything.

When I did it professionally, there was a website dedicated to reviewing the reviewers for a while. People actually earnt money slagging off my reviews! . Didn't stop me though. If you feel like it, get back on it. Your efforts are appreciated.

Echo this. I have learned to trust your judgment, Beds.
  • Options
    Cheers . I shouldn't take any notice of one idiot . Going to watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 tomorrow so I will post a review afterwards.