Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

A heads up that Kajaki is on BBC2 tonight at 10pm. A brilliant film

A great film.

Hope Tony Blair managed to watch it.
    caught the last 45 mins last night. Made me want to cry at the end when the credits rolled & saw the outcomes & the real people involved. It was followed by a film about a Pakistani man who was in the USA on 9/11 & how he was treated afterwards.

Good sunday night viewing.
  • Options

Get Out - 8 out of 10.

Funny , scary and ever so slightly odd.

yep, saw it Saturday and just like going to football...but cheaper.

well worth a watch.
  • Options

A heads up that Kajaki is on BBC2 tonight at 10pm. A brilliant film

A great film.

Hope Tony Blair managed to watch it.
    caught the last 45 mins last night. Made me want to cry at the end when the credits rolled & saw the outcomes & the real people involved. It was followed by a film about a Pakistani man who was in the USA on 9/11 & how he was treated afterwards.

Good sunday night viewing.
    Surprised there wasn't more fatalities tbh.

Tough,tough fellas.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Caught Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday. After an initial ten minutes where I dreaded what this film might offer(including a dancing Bonsai) it picked up and was quite entertaining. I' d give it 6 out of ten, but won't be rushing out to see parts 1 or 3.
    I also finally saw Inception yesterday, which was on my 'to see' list since it came out. Not a latest film, but I loved it, and was left with a definate wow feeling at the end.

I think if you had seen GotG1 you might have understood it better and given it a higher mark. I would give it a solid 8 I enjoyed it.

I really looking forward to the new Alien film though
    Seeing Alien tonight, I shall report back (spoiler free).

Guardians 2 was great fun, I laughed out loud a lot. But I agree with the criticism that it consists of lots of sub-plots and not much more. There wasn't much drive to the plot for some of the movie, which is unusual for a Marvel/ Disney movie. But it's funny/ sweet/ charming enough and the cast are all so likeable it's still worth seeing.

That opening sequence though... we're watching 100% CGI, as was the case for much of the movie. It looked great, but it got me thinking, Hollywood has blurred the lines between Toy Story and Superman. When Roger Rabbit came out, there was huge fuss about how they got Bob Hoskins to act with cartoon creatures. But now we're watching a tiny tree dancing in front of an entirely animated action sequence and not even thinking about it.

Agree with what you are saying in general but in Sci Fi films I think the CGI is an important part.
    You're right. I didn't really mean it as a criticism, just something I noticed.

The very best CG is stuff you don't notice. Wolf of Wall Street was packed with CG but I had no idea at the time.
  • Options
    JiMMy how was Alien?? would be great to hear your views on it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Glad the reviews are back @Bedsaddick - echo the other comments on here regarding your opinions being highly regarded (maybe it's because you're a fellow Bedfordshire Addick!). An example being GotG2 which I had heard average at best reviews for, but I plan to see it this weekend based on the fact you rated it (and I loved the first one!).

On a separate note I saw Get Out recently... was not what I expected at all and still haven't made up my mind about what I think of it!
  • Options

Glad the reviews are back @Bedsaddick - echo the other comments on here regarding your opinions being highly regarded (maybe it's because your a fellow Bedfordshire Addick!). An example being GotG2 which I had heard average at best reviews for, but I plan to see it this weekend based on the fact you rated it (and I loved the first one!).

On a separate note I saw Get Out recently... was not what I expected at all and still haven't made up my mind about what I think of it!

Cheers mate . I hope you enjoy it
  • Options

Sausage Party. Saw it at the cinema last year. Just seen it again on Sky. Brilliant. Should be compulsory viewing every month in all schools in the U.K. Particularly faith schools!

I tried to watch this the other day, turned off after 15-20 mins, is it actually worth sticking with? it was awful and i usually like Seth Rogan
  • Options
    How can you decide on a movie in the first 15-20? That's like writing off a game of football because you concede in the first 15-20!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

How can you decide on a movie in the first 15-20? That's like writing off a game of football because you concede in the first 15-20!

Because it was awful, it was supposed to be comedy yet i didnt find it funny or worthwhile watching. Its not very often i do either, i often watch until the end and think what a waste of my time it wasnt worth perserveering with :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Glad the reviews are back @Bedsaddick - echo the other comments on here regarding your opinions being highly regarded (maybe it's because your a fellow Bedfordshire Addick!). An example being GotG2 which I had heard average at best reviews for, but I plan to see it this weekend based on the fact you rated it (and I loved the first one!).

Cheers mate . I hope you enjoy it
    Oh and stay for the final credits. It's worth it
  • Options

Sausage Party. Saw it at the cinema last year. Just seen it again on Sky. Brilliant. Should be compulsory viewing every month in all schools in the U.K. Particularly faith schools!

I tried to watch this the other day, turned off after 15-20 mins, is it actually worth sticking with? it was awful and i usually like Seth Rogan
    I don't think it is meant to be a comedy. It is a scurrilous and blasphemous piss take of all organised religion from the first minute until the last. Obviously it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I am sure a lot of people will be offended by it. There won't be many cinemas in Iran or Pakistan showing it!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/01/the-hotdog-delusion-sausage-party-and-the-rise-of-atheism-in-hollywood
  • Options

Oh it's not good I'm afraid. It starts as a remake of Alien, then turns into a sequel to Prometheus.

Plot-wise it's a mess, as the story really belongs to one character but it isn't told from his perspective for the most part.

All of the stupid decision-making that made Prometheus so infuriating is back. And this is the worst part for me - after castigating all of the filmmakers who ruined the alien (other than James Cameron), Ridley Scott has made exactly the same mistakes, for instance, with a grossly CGI alien that gestated inside 15 minutes (it took John Hurt a day or two to go through the process).

One sequence is lifted directly from Alien3 as it's essentially a collection of Alien franchise cliches.

I would say that I enjoyed seeing it, it was fun and the effects/ look of the film are great. Some of the scares work, there's one or two set prices that are worthy. And it does help Prometheus make a bit more sense. But it's another fine mess Scott's gotten us into with the story, and the utterly stupid behaviour of every single character.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Oh it's not good I'm afraid. It starts as a remake of Alien, then turns into a sequel to Prometheus.

Plot-wise it's a mess, as the story really belongs to one character but it isn't told from his perspective for the most part.

All of the stupid decision-making that made Prometheus so infuriating is back. And this is the worst part for me - after castigating all of the filmmakers who ruined the alien (other than James Cameron), Ridley Scott has made exactly the same mistakes, for instance, with a grossly CGI alien that gestated inside 15 minutes (it took John Hurt a day or two to go through the process).

One sequence is lifted directly from Alien3 as it's essentially a collection of Alien franchise cliches.

I would say that I enjoyed seeing it, it was fun and the effects/ look of the film are great. Some of the scares work, there's one or two set prices that are worthy. And it does help Prometheus make a bit more sense. But it's another fine mess Scott's gotten us into with the story, and the utterly stupid behaviour of every single character.
    Thanks for the write up JiMMy - good to hear a different review to some I have read.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm going to see this tomorrow. I'm one of the minority that quite liked Prometheus so I'm going in open minded .
  • Options
    Objectively, Prometheus is a deeply flawed film. There's no getting away from that. A brilliantly made film, it looks amazing, but narratively speaking it's a huge mess. I think if that stuff doesn't bother you, AC is more of the same and you should enjoy it. I hope you do, I know I wanted to!
  • Options
    I enjoyed Prometheus, I watched it again the other night as it was on TV, enjoyed more the 2nd time round as well
  • Options
    Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night.

Didn't really expect much but came out of the cinema pleasantly surprised. As big budget super hero movies go, this one wasn't too bad. a solid 7/10.

A few weeks back I saw Get Out.

Really, really enjoyed it. I'd certainly recommend it as a good way of passing a couple of hours. An impressive 8/10.
  • Options
    Not a latest film at all, but currently watching 'Mr & Mrs Smith' as it's on tv.

What a terrible film!
  • Options

I did the exact same, I usually really enjoy that type of pisstake comedy/ stupid film generally but 20-25 minutes in I just turned it off, absolutely awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed Alien Covenant. 7/10

I found Prometheus a little slow but this is back to the format I like. Having said that, I am now going to watch Prometheus again tonight just to re-cap on what happened.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Alien: Covenant

I absolutely love the 1979 Alien. When it first came out I was 12 years old and managed to see it on video and it scared the hell out of me and still does. Ridley Scott managed to make a simple yet original film that had everyone on the edge of their seat , so a return to the franchise was much welcome but sadly this is not a patch on Alien.
    The Covenant is a colony ship that while on it's journey to it's new home finds a much closer and seemingly idyllic planet but when it lands they soon realise that this paradise contains a terrifying threat.
    It's hard to talk about Alien: Covenant without giving away plot spoilers. There are links to Prometheus and possibly other Alien films but needless to say it starts as you would expect and I must say I enjoyed the first 45 minutes.
    The trouble is , is that in the middle of this film it loses it way big time.
    It's starts to get into creationism and even religion and the lines get blurred as to who is the real enemy.
    The cast didn't do it for me either. There was certainly no Sigourney Weaver to get on side with.
    It does get some credibility back with the conclusion of the film but to be honest I was quite disappointed.

6 out of 10

https://youtu.be/svnAD0TApb8
  • Options

I did the exact same, I usually really enjoy that type of pisstake comedy/ stupid film generally but 20-25 minutes in I just turned it off, absolutely awful.
    I love a bit of puerile humour but found it very unfunny and pretty offensive just for the sake of it
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Alien Covenant. 7/10

I found Prometheus a little slow but this is back to the format I like. Having said that, I am now going to watch Prometheus again tonight just to re-cap on what happened.

Just watched Prometheus. Actually enjoyed it more this time having seen Covenant this afternoon.
  • Options

Alien: Covenant

The trouble is , is that in the middle of this film it loses it way big time.
    It's starts to get into creationism and even religion and the lines get blurred as to who is the real enemy.

This is the biggest problem for me. Ignoring the ludicrously audience-insulting decision-making of the characters at least. The film turns into Prometheus 2 at the halfway point, and it brings all those themes back in. It's David's story (hence the opening scene) but it's told from the crew's perspective purely so that Scott can have his standard Alien cliches.
  • Options
    Recently saw Lady Macbeth which was excellent and Mindhorn which was very funny.
  • Options
    Watched "Get Out" Not a bad film, but also not a great film.....its a little bit predictable and almost Stepford Wives in some ways. I will go with 6/10
  • Options
    Baby Boss.....funny in parts but didnt quite reach the heights I would have expected 5/10
  • Options
    "Sleepless" Panned by the critics, but not for the first time I disagree with them. Jamie Foxx is solid and well supported by the excellent Michelle Monaghan who I think is a very talented but under rated modern day actress.The plot has a few twists and turns which is slightly let down by the fight scenes which make all the participants seem like they can take punch after punch on open shot gun wounds which is just a bit silly and very Hollywood-esque. Overall I enjoyed it so I'm going to go with 7/10.
  • Options
    "Colossal" Oh dear, film number two of this years viewings which I didnt watch all the way through. a Black "Comedy". Hmm I think the American/Canadian/Spanish film makers responsible ought to be taken to the trades description association for that comment alone. Bizzare film with odd dialogue and an even stranger performance from Ann Hathaway. I did watch 90 minutes (which I will never get back) but this was just an awful film in my opinion. 2/10