Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Didn't Curbs try and sign Faye and Traore in the January but couldn't get the deals over the line? 
  • Options
    Some horrible memories here, Cranie was one I particularly remember, people just seemed to run through him, no physical presence at all.  I had an old goals video, and Brazils goal against us in 1970 was on it, the commentator said  "....and Banks was but a lace curtain in the path of Jairzinhos bullet"   Cranie was our lace curtain.....
  • Options
    I forgot (blanked out) that Vaz Te played for us.
  • Options
    Any 5 simply have to be from the early days of the Roland era.

Mine would be:

Koc
    Thuram
    Lepoint
    Nego
    Onyewu

All utterly pointless signings.
    I beg to differ.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Frank Nouble has escaped very lightly IMO.
    In fact the whole 11 that played away at Rotchdale have.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9436378.stm

I went to the game and don't even remember some of them playing. 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    We have had many poor players with most mentioned on this thread already.  However many gave 100% and just were not up to it, or it was bad timing etc so i struggle to really call them out.  For me, those i reserve special ire for

1. By a country mile has to be Amady Faye - my most hated Charlton player of all time.  Still vividly remember the Quarter Final v Wycombe at The Valley when we were losing and he kicked the ball into touch on a pass and just shrugged his shoulders.  

2. Thuram was undoubtedly the worst player i have ever seen play for my team.  

3. McLeod was a huge disappointment for the money and totally un-Charlton in his constant Palace like diving for pens.  

4. Guy Luzon - when Roland was still interested enough to pay transfer fees he bought in a manager who had failed at mediocre levels previously and been seen on camera saying he did not know who we were and laughing.  The worst Charlton manager bar none for me.

5. Faeye - so bad i cant even remember his first name!  Massively out of his depth, added nothing, sealed our relegation

• Options
    Traore
    Faye
    Redfearn
    Jeffers
    M.Bent
  • Options
    Roland 
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    THIS!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bagheri, the Iranian dude was not a success.
  • Options
    Borrowdale was a lot better than Seabourne.

Seabourne
    Lepoint
    Cranie
    Thuram-Ulien
    R Williams 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Didn't Curbs try and sign Faye and Traore in the January but couldn't get the deals over the line? 

Yes, they both said that in interviews as I recall. 
  • Options
    Anybody who includes Dennis Rommedahl in this needs their fecking head examined.
    Just an opinion 
  • Options
    Haven't bothered with this thread after somebody included Sean Bartlett FFS! And then you get XXXXX apart from when he .......... What a load of tosh!!!!!
  • Options
    If they only scored 1 goal or 1 assist then I can’t see how they would be in the worst 5 ever. I know people don’t like the likes of Marcus Bent, Hasselbaink etc but they are nowhere near the worst 5. Even they had 1-2 good games that keep them off the list.

Yohann Thuram has to be number 1 for me. A player that was so pointless, the manager didn’t even want to play him. 

That game against QPR....The only time I’ve seen a goalkeeper have an absolute mare whilst the opposing team recorded zero shots on target. Not sure how that is even possible, but he did it.
  • Options
    Bagheri, the Iranian dude was not a success.
    Dont think he was a bad signing... Just unfortunate really as wasnt that at a time when International games were played all over the place with some Confederations rather than there being set breaks - Meant that Bagheri was having to go and play for Iran when we had games

Frank Nouble has escaped very lightly IMO.
    To be honest I try and forget he played for us
  • Options
    1. Roland
    2. Katrien Meire
    3. Amdy Faye 
    4. Losing the atmosphere of the old covered end
    5. Simon Francis (then leaving and captaining Bournemouth in the Prem)

• Options

2. Thuram was undoubtedly the worst player i have ever seen play for my team.  

When a player sneaks behind Mike Small in the list of Charlton players worthy of a game you know he's a lemon. 
  • Options
    Re Nouble, didn't he come from Wet Spam?  If so, you have to wonder what they were doing signing him in the first place.  Similarly, early years back at The Valley, we had a guy from Spurs who was pretty bad for us so what the hell did he do at WHL, make the teas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Re Nouble, didn't he come from Wet Spam?  If so, you have to wonder what they were doing signing him in the first place.  Similarly, early years back at The Valley, we had a guy from Spurs who was pretty bad for us so what the hell did he do at WHL, make the teas?
    Yeah he came from there but came through their youth team
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    If they only scored 1 goal or 1 assist then I can’t see how they would be in the worst 5 ever. I know people don’t like the likes of Marcus Bent, Hasselbaink etc but they are nowhere near the worst 5. Even they had 1-2 good games that keep them off the list.

Yohann Thuram has to be number 1 for me. A player that was so pointless, the manager didn’t even want to play him. 

That game against QPR....The only time I’ve seen a goalkeeper have an absolute mare whilst the opposing team recorded zero shots on target. Not sure how that is even possible, but he did it.
    Depends on your perception of a bad signing really. Thuram would have been number one for me if we hadn't already had two (then one) first team ready goalkeepers to make him an irrelevance. Alnwick and Hamer were there and didn't get injured, so Thuram only played four games, and despite his best efforts didn't even cost us the QPR win. Hasselbaink cost us loads on his high wages and played 25 Premier League games, scoring 2 goals in a season where we desperately needed goals and ultimately lost our PL status, which we've never got back. Definitely a worse signing for the effect it had. Goes to perception in the end
  • Options
    The thing about Thuram is that he made 44 appearances for Standard Liege, 28 for Le Havre and has 2 French U21 caps.

Not many appearances, but enough and at a high enough level to suggest he shouldn't have been as bad as he was when he played for us. 

Powell being forced to play him didn't do anyone any good, least of all the player. If he had just come over and trained here for a few months, maybe when he did play he would have been more convincing.
  • Options
    Surprised at some of the players listed here - some seem to have forgotten the division we were in when certain players were signed.

Never understood why McCormack is included - seems to be more about personal dislike? He was certainly average but didn't stand out as particularly bad.

Faye stood out given what we paid for him and his continued poor performances.

Thuram is certainly one of the worst keepers I've seen - I remember watching him warm up at the Valley and he seemed incapable of catching the ball.

The Parzysek signing was bizarre - seems to have scored goals elsewhere but wasn't even deemed good enough to start at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Surprised at some of the players listed here - some seem to have forgotten the division we were in when certain players were signed.

Never understood why McCormack is included - seems to be more about personal dislike? He was certainly average but didn't stand out as particularly bad.

Faye stood out given what we paid for him and his continued poor performances.

Thuram is certainly one of the worst keepers I've seen - I remember watching him warm up at the Valley and he seemed incapable of catching the ball.

The Parzysek signing was bizarre - seems to have scored goals elsewhere but wasn't even deemed good enough to start at Charlton.
    Could be playing Champions League Football next season

His Polish club are currently four points off top (currently in a Europa League position) in the Championship round of the Polish Premier Division

Only has seven goals this season but think his issue (going by reports from those who attend) was the fact that he struggled to adapt to the English game and didnt show much about him for our U23s - I'll always remain convinced that he should have been loaned to English clubs to help him adjust, the fact he kept being farmed out to Belgium and Denmark was never going to help him get used to the level here
  • Options
    Anybody who includes Dennis Rommedahl in this needs their fecking head examined.
    Just an opinion 
    Where's the logic, Red?
    You might have grounds for a discussion if it were 5 disappointing signings or 5 that didn't live up to (unrealistic) expectations.
    But worst 5? Jeez.
  • Options
    Just an opinion 
    Where's the logic, Red?
    You might have grounds for a discussion if it were 5 disappointing signings or 5 that didn't live up to (unrealistic) expectations.
    But worst 5? Jeez.
    But it means that, at minimum, at least all-but-four of the players introduced under Driesen were better than Dennis Rommedahl. 

I don't think anyone could possibly argue that. Even Mowgli himself. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Just an opinion 
    Where's the logic, Red?
    But worst 5? Jeez.
    But it means that, at minimum, at least all-but-four of the players introduced under Driesen were better than Dennis Rommedahl. 

You make my head hurt Chizz.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Just an opinion 
    Where's the logic, Red?
    But worst 5? Jeez.

"If Dennis was one of the worst five, then nearly all of Roland's signings must have been better than him". 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Just an opinion 
    Where's the logic, Red?
    But worst 5? Jeez.

"If Dennis was one of the worst five, then nearly all of Roland's signings must have been better than him". 
    cc@The Red Robin - FYI