Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

Comments

• Where is Talel El Khalej?
  • edited February 2009
  • with bryan hughes, thats gota be worth a brucie bonus surely...
  • [cite]Posted By: kaiser_soze[/cite]El Khalej

I would have had him but I couldn't spell his name!
  • Shaun Bartlett ....... lazy and crap? I'll leave you to make your own minds up.

Bartlett's 2 goals against Spurs away

Bartlett's 2 goals v Man Utd

I've just wasted a very enjoyable few minutes ..... lol
  • 5. Dowie
    4. Dowie
    3. Dowie
    2. Dowie
    1. Dowie
  • Karim Bagheri .... I mean - what WAS the point?
  • Can't believe no one has mentoned the legend that was Tom Hovi. I remember him coming on to "close out the game" when we were 3-1 up at home to Derby. 2 moments of hilarity and a falling over on the goal line when trying to clear the tamest of shots incident and we were 3-4 down.....

His only other appearance? 5-1 defeat at Bolton.

Others that spring to mind:

Jason Lee
    Matt Jackson - torn to shreds by a very young Emile Heskey playing right wing
    Bradley Allen - 400k!!!!! Not Curbs finest hour
    Scott Sinclair - probably not his fault though
    Lee Cook
  • I. JFH
    2. Neil Redfearn
    3. Dennis Rommedahl
    4. Franny Jeffers
    5. Marcus Bent

The above five all under-performed given their talent/wages/transfer fees.
  • Sponsored links:

• kishishev
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTm0vrX-LU

People who have their reservations on Bartlett, this goal got goal of the season, this along with the other two videos prove that Shaun certainly had the potential to put them in the net, his records not awful, we've had much worse
  • Neil redfern
    Rommerdahl ( even after the scum away)
    Pouso
    has to be JFH
    Moutakil
  • Matty Jackson was bloody good for us don't remember the Leicester match, but was a very good player and did really well for Norwich and Wigan subsequently.

Has to go on wages, return and transfer fee:

1) Amdy Faye worst player I've ever seen for Charlton in almost twenty years
    2) Bjorklund, that sort of wages for that sort of crock
    3) Rowett, inexcusable to pay Leicester the same fee for him, after he turned us down and then proved himself to be a crock on a big contract.
    4) Luke Varney, don't hate him just don't rate him, especially as the guy's a 250,000 lower league trier.
    5) Brendan O'Connell, never thought he was that bad just he reflected the ennui and lack of magic/imagination in 96-97
  • SE7SE7
    edited February 2009
    4) Luke Varney, don't hate him just don't rate him, especially as the guy's a 250,000 lower league trier.

If only his goal tally matched his heart, its his kind of determination that we lack right now, not a great player, but boy he covered every yard of the pitch for the whole 90 minutes no matter what the score was, respect the lad but the fact is he's not cut out for this league as his move to us and now Derby has proved!!!
  • El Khalej
    Spector
    Jeffers
    Faye
    Traore
  • 1. Pardew
    2. Pardew
    3. Pardew
    4. Pardew
    5. Pardew
    Thats my last word on the matter, promised much delivered bugger all....the managerial version of a c*&k teaser....
  • adamtheaddick - You can't be serious putting John Barnes on that list? Feck me. Even two stone overweight he was probably the best player we have had at the club with only DiCanio in the same class.

I was mates with one of the squad at the time and he told me the other players were in awe of Barnes' ability at training and said he was an absolute diamond bloke as well.
  • I thought Redfearn was with us at Selhurst?

I think the biggest disappointment just had to be Rommedahl.
    He arrived at the Valley, lauded as the new Messiah, then left a few years later with his tail between his legs, having contributed jack sh*t to the team.
    Rumour had it that he was at one time the Addicks' biggest earner, on c.£22,000 a week.
    For what he added to the Charlton attack, he should've been on £22.00 a week.
    He was the biggest coward I've ever seen in the famous red shirt too. He didn't even go in for 80/20 tackles for fear of getting his spindly legs dirty, or his carefully coiffured hair put out of place.
    I swear the goal he scored against Palace was a fluke too - he thought he heard a defender sneaking up on him and belted the ball as hard and as far away from him as he could to avoid the possibility of any physical contact.

Attacks made on Bartlett and Steve Jones seem a bit out of order.
    I think they both worked tirelessly for the team, with Bartlett inparticular looking impressive in his first 18 months at the club.

Whilst Kishishev looked at best a pub player most of the time, I don't think anyone can question his undoubted effort - he simply lacked any skill.

Hasselbaink runs Rommedahl pretty close.
    He looked thoroughly disinterested in proceedings most of the time, and he had the kind of face that only a fist could ever fall in love with.

The bottom line is, I'll forgive anyone who gives their all in a Charlton shirt, however poor their performance.

But look like you don't give a damn, (Rommedahl / Hasselbaink) and be prepared to face the fullscale wrath of the Covered End faithful who can see for themselves what's going on.
  • My actual list, measured in terms of cash outlay versus output received....

1] Hasselbaink - Fat and could not give a feck. Could have had Philips for less dough.
    2] Faye - Worst player ever to play for the club.
    3] Traore - Hopeless, how did he ever play for Liverpool?
    4] Diawara - No wonder Murray blew his top, the bloke was an absolute liability. Could not even get into the side past Elk and Herman.
    5] Marcus Bent - An utter, utter c--t of the most elevated order.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]

2) Bjorklund, that sort of wages for that sort of crock

Who?
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    3) Rowett, inexcusable to pay Leicester the same fee for him, after he turned us down and then proved himself to be a crock on a big contract.

We didn't. Total fee would have been £3.5m but that was dependent on games. Paid under 500k in the end as he never played.

The fact that Leicester were showing the full £3.5m in their books as a creditor was one of the factors that sent them in Administration.
  • edited February 2009
    Redfearn at Sellout

no way much much later than that our first big impact signing he joined in 98
    on our assault on the Prem after he had helped Barnsley to their greatest achievments
  • gary Rowett nicked my jacket
  • Poole (not his fault)
    Jeffers
    Rommadahl
    Jimmy wanky wanky
    Varney
  • Poole great goal QPR away fecking great i think it set us on our way to a 5-1 win or something like that
  • As a 13 year old i didn't get to see Bartlett as much as i wanted to when i was little but the last season i saw him in i didn't really like him.
    As i put he did well in his first 3 seasons.
    I can understand why people differ :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Laura Angel[/cite]I thought Redfearn was with us at Selhurst?

I think the biggest disappointment just had to be Rommedahl.
    He arrived at the Valley, lauded as the new Messiah, then left a few years later with his tail between his legs, having contributed jack sh*t to the team.
    Rumour had it that he was at one time the Addicks' biggest earner, on c.£22,000 a week.
    For what he added to the Charlton attack, he should've been on £22.00 a week.
    He was the biggest coward I've ever seen in the famous red shirt too. He didn't even go in for 80/20 tackles for fear of getting his spindly legs dirty, or his carefully coiffured hair put out of place.
    I swear the goal he scored against Palace was a fluke too - he thought he heard a defender sneaking up on him and belted the ball as hard and as far away from him as he could to avoid the possibility of any physical contact.

Attacks made on Bartlett and Steve Jones seem a bit out of order.
    I think they both worked tirelessly for the team, with Bartlett inparticular looking impressive in his first 18 months at the club.

Whilst Kishishev looked at best a pub player most of the time, I don't think anyone can question his undoubted effort - he simply lacked any skill.

Hasselbaink runs Rommedahl pretty close.
    He looked thoroughly disinterested in proceedings most of the time, and he had the kind of face that only a fist could ever fall in love with.

The bottom line is, I'll forgive anyone who gives their all in a Charlton shirt, however poor their performance.

But look like you don't give a damn, (Rommedahl / Hasselbaink) and be prepared to face the fullscale wrath of the Covered End faithful who can see for themselves what's going on.

So you didn't like him?

In all seriousness I agree, Romm's best position was playing off the main striker, in internationals he played there for Denmark and had a good goal scoring record, but was too lightweight to play there in the Premiership. Instead he was stuck on the wing where his pace would occasionally get him past his marker, but even then his inability to get a decent cross in meant that any advantage gained by his pace was immediately lost. Somewhere I remember him being described as an athlete with a bit of footballing ability, as opposed to a footballer some ability as an athlete.
  • No.
    I didn't.
    Larry Lightweight wasn't fit to wear the shirt.
    I believe he actually wore the 'girls fit' blouse, then available in the club shop.
    You know, the dreadful brand with the 'Red Red' label!
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    We didn't. Total fee would have been £3.5m but that was dependent on games. Paid under 500k in the end as he never played.

The fact that Leicester were showing the full £3.5m in their books as a creditor was one of the factors that sent them in Administration.

Didn't realise that. I'm sure I saw somewhere, one of the Charlton blogs a few years ago, that at an AGM it was revealed that we only paid £500k for Jeffers as well. Do you know if that's true?
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    So you didn't like him?

In all seriousness I agree, Romm's best position was playing off the main striker, in internationals he played there for Denmark and had a good goal scoring record, but was too lightweight to play there in the Premiership. Instead he was stuck on the wing where his pace would occasionally get him past his marker, but even then his inability to get a decent cross in meant that any advantage gained by his pace was immediately lost. Somewhere I remember him being described as an athlete with a bit of footballing ability, as opposed to a footballer some ability as an athlete.

With Rommedahl he just didn't suit English football at all. We couldn't afford to play someone like him who can't and won't defend. Add to that the more physical, aggressive and direct style of English football he was never going to settle over here. He needs to play in a less physical league, with freedom just to stay forward and run onto/with the ball into space. That'll only happen in a good team. Bit like with Moutaouakil, he'd look very good if we had an attacking team that were going for promotion.