Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]kishishev

Not if you ask the players who played along side him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    We didn't. Total fee would have been £3.5m but that was dependent on games. Paid under 500k in the end as he never played.

The fact that Leicester were showing the full £3.5m in their books as a creditor was one of the factors that sent them in Administration.

Didn't realise that. I'm sure I saw somewhere, one of the Charlton blogs a few years ago, that at an AGM it was revealed that we only paid £500k for Jeffers as well. Do you know if that's true?

Not sure of the numbers but yes it was a similar staggered fee which we didn't pay all of as Fanny was sold on.

See, that Richard Murray bloke made quite a lot of very sharp deals and decisions down the years least we forget.
  • Todd
    Faye
    Redfern
    Spector
    M. Bent

It's quite a struggle to keep it down to 5, isn't it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Todd
    Faye
    Redfern
    Spector
    M. Bent

It's quite a struggle to keep it down to 5, isn't it.

Do you mean Andy Todd? Fecking hell, that's a bit harsh!!!
  • Toddy might have been a bit of a see you next Tuesday, but you can hardly describe him as useless.
    Solid, unspectacular, hard as nails - but totally reliable and knew how to do his job.

Put it this way, I'd rather he was on my side than play against him, even if Dean Keily didn't.

After he left us, he was player of the year at Prem Blackburn Rovers for 2 seasons running.

For years since we've been crying out for a dirty great lump, who would win nearly everything in the air, great crunching tackle - and someone opponents hated playing against.

If only he wasn't such a Psycho.
  • I always liked Todd. From what I heard Kiely's comments were out of order. Before Sky TV that'd have been nothing, but then again no doubt when Todd got near a hundred games he'd have belted someone else.

Sorry not Bjorklund.. Blomqvist, always get mixed up with these Scando's Stig Inge, BTK, Ingesson, Alexanderson, Erland Johnsen and Kennet Anderson. I just can't seem to differentiate between most odf them these days.

The board did good then in initial price for Jeffers and Rowett. Having said that both of them should never have been signed, one was a crock on big wages and the other had been rubbish and utterly lazy on loan at Everton; very bad attitude with terrible rumors on his social life.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    The board did good then in initial price for Jeffers and Rowett. Having said that both of them should never have been signed, one was a crock on big wages and the other had been rubbish and utterly lazy on loan at Everton; very bad attitude with terrible rumors on his social life.

You mean, ....one was a crock on big wages and the other a cock on bigger wages .... ?
  • Bradley Allen (should have signed Steve Jones when we signed him)
    Neil Redfearn
    Marcus Bent
    Hasselbaink
    Francis Jeffers

There are more Bradley Allen is a harsh one but I thought we paid too much for him at the time and like I say I think Steve Jones would have been a quality signing if we had picked him up then, big, strong, mobile. Tremendously unlucky with injuries at inapproriate times.

Jeffers because from the moment he signed he looked like he did not want to be here, Redfearn because he was fat, greedy over-rated and cack, Marcus Bent is one of the most odious wastes of talent (sic) ever,

Bartlett was quality for us, Kishishev did his task well and was never a whinger, Todd was one of the most solid and versatile defenders around, Rommedahl would be on there would it not be for his goal against Palace and the performance against Villa in getting Barry sent off and giving us some brief hope. I would include him for completely shitting his drawers at the thought of Paul Robinson giving him a whack at the Hawthorns 2004/5 or maybe 2005/6 I think
  • Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye

Crap, overpriced and overpaid. The thing that seals it was his petulant jog to the bench after being subbed after having a total mare. I wanted to hit him. Anyone else remember that or is it just me?
  • edited February 2009
    Jogging around aimlessly was all he ever did so who would have noticed?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    I think you're being slightly unfair on him there, he had world class miscontrol and a fantastic ability to concede needless free kicks as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]5. Dowie
    4. Dowie
    3. Dowie
    2. Dowie
    1. Dowie
    LOL! 100% bang on!!!!
  • Was looking for a thread for Spector and this was all I could find, his name mentioned a lot haha

Anyway he has just come in for Hibernian to make his debut for them
  • Mc Oxo
    Pawel Abbot 
    The other bloke up front that season
    Jeffers, though I did see him score once
    Carlton Cole. 

• Some really strange and odd choices reading through this thread.

Bartlett? I'll go so far to say that if Dowie hadn't let Bartlett go we might well have stayed up that season. 

McCormack
    Leon Clarke
    Traore

You could probably name 50 players all deserving a worst signing tag but these players - who actually played numerous times are certainly worthy of a worst signing tag.
  • Duchatelet signing the agreement to buy the club
  • Rhys Williams
    Christophe Lepoint
    Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    Roger Johnson (2nd spell)
    Peter Parsley (not his fault, Mowgli's)
  • Stig said:
    Rhys Williams
    Christophe Lepoint
    Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    Roger Johnson or Rommadahl ?  Close call.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was looking for a thread for Spector and this was all I could find, his name mentioned a lot haha

Anyway he has just come in for Hibernian to make his debut for them
    You've peaked here mate! Love it.
  • Roland 
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    Then squirrel face by a mile.

• The Uruguayan dude who played (?)45 minutes
  • Carlton Cole? Think ppl forget how good he actually was for us.
  • Several of the Dowie/Pardew signings are still in my 5 as it was that people which destroyed the club, especially the second relegation. Since then we've been a mess behind the scenes
  • (1984) said:
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye
    Amady Faye

Crap, overpriced and overpaid. The thing that seals it was his petulant jog to the bench after being subbed after having a total mare. I wanted to hit him. Anyone else remember that or is it just me?
    This ! Even though this was posted 10 years ago it still applies! 
  • Akpo Sodje
    Cory Gibbs

• edited April 2019
    Stig said:
    Rhys Williams
    Christophe Lepoint
    Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    Can't argue with any of those....never thought I'd see the day when El-Khalej couldn't force his way into this sort of company. To think we used to haggle over Churchouse v Jacobsen, they are like Ronaldo and Messi compared to those clowns.