Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trouble at Millwall

Comments

• I think its generally acknowledged that Millwall's reputation is just that now - a reputation - i'm not into that scene but apparently they aren't very good at it any more and nothing winds a Millwall fan up more than thinking they are no longer good at the one thing they were famous for. Admit it Sparrows, you're getting a bit agitated.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]I think its generally acknowledged that Millwall's reputation is just that now - a reputation - i'm not into that scene but apparently they aren't very good at it any more and nothing winds a Millwall fan up more than thinking they are no longer good at the one thing they were famous for. Admit it Sparrows, you're getting a bit agitated.

To be fair Sparrows has never came on here and gave it the 'big un'
  • [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]I think its generally acknowledged that Millwall's reputation is just that now - a reputation - i'm not into that scene but apparently they aren't very good at it any more and nothing winds a Millwall fan up more than thinking they are no longer good at the one thing they were famous for. Admit it Sparrows, you're getting a bit agitated.

Maybe not but winding Millwall fans up is a great bit of Sport and although Sparrows seems a reasonable bloke i was hoping he might respond, particularly when it's as dead as a dodo on here. Guess i should turn off and go to bed really.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JimboCAFC[/cite]anyone remember the trouble at Upton Park? got highlighted by the media for a longtime and who remembers the trouble between Villa and Birmingham... Decemeber 1st, it got one or two days media coverage and to be fair the images was far worst. Millwall get wrongly and unfairly targeted by the media when trouble occurs.

Ok, who holds the record for the worst violence or should I say riots seen by the TV cameras by any club....here's a clue...? -v- Luton and ? -v- Birmingham?

http://noonelikesus.webs.com/diectionsmillwallstorys.htm

To be fair, Leeds at Bournemouth and Leeds at Birmingham have to also be right up there. God knows where all the footage has gone for the St Andrews riot, hardly ever see anything!

Also, what about United dismantling Carrow Road? Thought they personally have the worst reputation with their "Red Army" taking over every town and wrecking it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]I think its generally acknowledged that Millwall's reputation is just that now - a reputation - i'm not into that scene but apparently they aren't very good at it any more and nothing winds a Millwall fan up more than thinking they are no longer good at the one thing they were famous for. Admit it Sparrows, you're getting a bit agitated.

Maybe not but winding Millwall fans up is a great bit of Sport and although Sparrows seems a reasonable bloke i was hoping he might respond, particularly when it's as dead as a dodo on here. Guess i should turn off and go to bed really.

You need better bait Dan. You're not very subtle with your wind up attempts!!
  • Every Club does not have a violent element (ISLS).
    Please don't confuse fans 'passion' with violence.
    Millwall has an image and an element that ensure the image is retained. They have always been the same and always will.........it's why the violent Harry Cripps is still fondly remembered
  • [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Every Club does not have a violent element (ISLS).
    Please don't confuse fans 'passion' with violence.

Don't be naive of course they do. Which ones don't then?
    Go and look at the arrests for violent offences and banning statistics from the Home Office.
    Of the 92 clubs there are probably about a handful who barely register.
    What differs is the proportion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]...it's why the violent Harry Cripps is still fondly remembered
    I have very fond memories of Harry Cripps too! I'll never forget his big toothless grin while holding a bottle of jubbly after winning promotion in 1975 at the Valley, after the game against Preston.
  • Looking at Millwalls next few home fixtures there is no doubt this will be a 350 thread pretty soon...
  • I've got a mate who is millwall and now lives in Manchester. He came down for our game at the rusty tool box, on his way down he met a millwall supporter who is a northern, we met both of them in the old king's head and whilst chatting to the northern asked him why he followed millwall, his answer was he became a millwall fan after watching the panorama programme in the 70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've met the millwall fan who chinned Derek Dougan on the pitch - in his 60's now and as proud as punch about it. Inadequate saddo.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]

You need better bait Dan. You're not very subtle with your wind up attempts!!

Prefer not to be sneeky about it Sparrows. If i wanted to do that i'd go on a Millwall board and pretend to be all friendly and reasonable.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Every Club does not have a violent element (ISLS).
    Please don't confuse fans 'passion' with violence.[/quote]

Don't be naive of course they do. Which ones don't then?
    Go and look at the arrests for violent offences and banning statistics from the Home Office.
    Of the 92 clubs there are probably about a handful who barely register.
    What differs is the proportion.[/quote]
    It's all relative, but I meant VIOLENT, anyway, you've proven my point with the ones that play handbags and barely register.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete in Dubai[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]...it's why the violent Harry Cripps is still fondly remembered
    I have very fond memories of Harry Cripps too! I'll never forget his big toothless grin while holding a bottle of jubbly after winning promotion in 1975 at the Valley, after the game against Preston.

Same here ... it was great seeing Cripps play at the Valley.
  • Look at the link below for the league tables where Millwall are always near the top and have been for years. Given their average gates the figures really do say something. I think that the only thing the club, their more idiotic fans and their manager will understand is being made to play some of their home games behind closed doors - if the FA is serious about the problem then they really need to do something pretty quick.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime/football-banning-orders/
  • I do remember as a kid going to a Cardiff vs Millwall game and seeing the two sets of fans fighting on the pitch at NInian Park - clearly evolution doesn't apply in Cardiff or Millwall.
  • Harry Crips is a legend. He was Mr Millwall for donkeys years and was probably gutted to be sold to us, but he always gave us 100%. I remember coming back from Walsall once he sat with the fans and took some stick over his Millwall life but gave it back and seemed happy to be still playing and admired ----as he was.

RIP Harry Boy
  • [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Look at the link below for the league tables where Millwall are always near the top and have been for years. Given their average gates the figures really do say something. I think that the only thing the club, their more idiotic fans and their manager will understand is being made to play some of their home games behind closed doors - if the FA is serious about the problem then they really need to do something pretty quick.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime/football-banning-orders/

All that says is that Millwall fans are thicker than your average as we get caught more easily....you lot are clearly at it causing trouble every week, but are more intelligent about where you call it on.
  • [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]I do remember as a kid going to a Cardiff vs Millwall game and seeing the two sets of fans fighting on the pitch at NInian Park - clearly evolution doesn't apply in Cardiff or Millwall.

Or at Charlton considering your 33 arrests for Violent & Public disorder last season, only 6 fewer than the baby eating monsters of Millwall. I do wonder why baby eating isn't a separate category in these statistics.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Teenagers, who mentioned teenagers? They pick up on Millwall as young kids, because they think being associated with the tough guys will enhance their standing among other kids SSL. Similar to those that feel the need to attach themselves to a glory club, because in their minds it makes them a winner too...

You saying 5-12 year olds?

What, who at that age read the papers and know that Millwall has this reputation & then decides to follow them? Despite not being old enough or having the money to take themselves along?

How many kids do you this has happened to?

Yes, I am saying exactly that age group (okay fair enough most Millwall fans can't read by the age of twelve like the rest of us [;-)]) I think most of us learned to read by the age of 7, and also recall that infamous Panorama doc (the one that attracted Guinness' northern pal and mates of mine in the playground were going on about for weeks afterwards), and seeing the news from Luton (well, I was there as it happens...) etc. Or bigger kid at school they want to impress (probably the school bully) supports Millwall "'cos they are 'ard", so to get in with them they become a follower as well.

As I said, it's the same kind of insecure kid who follows Man Utd or Liverpool, but with different ideas about how to fit in, or supposedly impress others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sparrow Lanes Lion

Perhaps you should look at the statistics for more than one year. And what is your solution to the problem that has being going on for years - make a joke and hope it goes away? It hasn't worked for 40 years so why should it now.
  • plus ca change

The club's history is dotted with incidents involving troublesome spectators. The club have been fined several times and even had their ground closed. The closures occurred in 1920, 1934 and 1950 after crowd disturbances, and in 1947 when a spectator threatened the referee. Millwall supporters wrecked a train returning from Norwich in 1967 and caused most of the coaches to be taken temporarily out of service.

The Plymouth incident of January 1967 added to their reputation as bad losers. When Argyle came to The Den and ended Millwall's record run of 59 home League matches without defeat, the fans took it out on the Plymouth team, stoning them and smashing the coach windows. The club were again reported to the League.

But the most publicised incident of even Millwall's eventful history came on 14 October 1967, when referee Norman Burtenshaw was knocked to the ground by a rush of spectators at the end of the game against Aston Villa. Burtenshaw was assisted from the pitch and later claimed to have been knocked unconscious. The League fined the club £1,000, and Millwall agreed to raise the height of the wall running around the pitch. The referees' association thought the punishment was inadequate, and even threatened a boycott of The Den.
  • [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Sparrow Lanes Lion

Perhaps you should look at the statistics for more than one year. And what is your solution to the problem that has being going on for years - make a joke and hope it goes away? It hasn't worked for 40 years so why should it now.

Is that what you think has happened the last 40 years? That clubs, the authorities and the police have made jokes and hoped it would all go away?

Not much point in talking about it when you don't know much about it.
  • Sparrow Lane Lion

No I don't think nothing has happened in the last 40 years - but like it or not MIllwall has a more persistent and significant hooligan problem than nearly every other club, and I see little on your part that acknowledges this or comes up with any sensible proposals as to how it should be dealt with. Instead, you tried to engage in some sort of Thuggery Top Trumps game. You have a manager who muddles hooliganism with passion for the game - and what action has the club taken about the distrubances on Saturday.

May I ask you a question - if a friend who supported an opposing side asked you whether it was safe and pleasant to bring his children to watch his side playing at Millwall what would you say? I have asked other sensible Millwall fans (yes they do exist) the same question and there answer has always been no in the past. Fortunately, I do not have the same problem at Charlton.
  • My best mate is a cabbie & he said Ipswich fans are in Kingston (Kingston FFS) at the moment terrorising the place before their match with QPR tonight. Just goes to show all clubs have their own versions of bell ends.
  • sm

The first part of your question you can answer easy enough for yourself with a little effort.

As for the second part, yes, not a problem whatsoever. Generally accepted that a visit to The Den is one of the safest for away fans nowadays. See plenty of parents with their kids on the trains or parking up nearby and walking to the away end with opposition colours too!!

You're confusing "casuals" with idiotic bullies who are in far greater number at teams like Leeds, Tottenham etc.
  • to be fair our visit last year was pretty tame apart from the OB making a complete meal out of us trying to leave the ground.

If we had nicked a 1-0 win then it might have been a different story.
  • Sparrow Lane

All I've seen are your posts here where you tried to belittle Saturday's events by comparison to other events. The Club's response on the website is a much better response - although I would also like to have seen Jackett make an apology for giving entirely wrong impression after the game - you do not say you don't condone bad behaviour and then say something that can be taken as an excuse. I also think the FA closing the New Den for 1/2 home games would have the right effect.

The answer you gave to the second part was not the same as I was given in 2004 by a Millwall fan.

I'm not confusing casuals with idiotic bullies - I think I would like to avoid both.
  • For goodness sake sm, do you think SLL is answerable for all Millwall fans ? I think he’s given decent answers to all the questions asked of him, he hasn’t defended the actions of a few Millwall fans he’s simply said it’s something which goes on all over the country – which is true. Millwall aren’t angels but there are a lot of teams with scum bag elements. Football, and more to the point football supporters, are a reflection of society and I’m afraid their are some nutters in society – hence there are some nutters at football, even at Charlton !
  • sm

Suppose you want Tony Mowbray to apologise as well for his comments?

"The noise and ferocity coming from the stands was unbelievable and it's a great credit to our players that we saw it out and won. It was pretty draining for us all.

'What I would say as the opposing manager is what an asset it is to have that intensity and noise from the stands every week, but you overstep the mark when objects start coming on the pitch."