Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    most Essex fans comments I have seen, have been that Essex don't play him for rest of season
    And that is a shame because no announcement needed to be made. I'm sure that Lawrence is the sort of lad that would still give his very best but now his performances could be undermined as a result of the pressure from that announcement and the noise as a result from that.

It is sad that cricket, like football, has changed so much. Back in the day, there were very few changes to the squad at either Kent or Charlton - possibly two or three at the former and half a dozen or less at the latter. Nowadays it is wholesale because counties have to be more flexible and have to have bigger squads due to franchise and international cricketers being more unavailable and footballers are no longer, at the lower levels, afforded the length of contract they might have once been awarded. All of this does not help the  building a relationship between young fans and their heroes. Once upon a time it might have been an Asif Iqbal, Alan Knott or Derek Underwood on the one hand or a Derek Hales, Mike Flanagan or Bob Curtis on the other. Who are those players now? Charlton probably have no more than two or three players who were in the first team two years ago.

But is that the fault of the player? I really don't think it is. They have to look after themselves. They are no different to the banker who might have once upon a time stayed with the same bank for 40 years. In all industries there is far more chance of being made redundant or released. Lose form and a county will not hesitate to drop you at the end of your contract. For every Dan Lawrence there is a James Logan. What is the latter going to do when he is inevitably released? How many fans are really that worried as to what Adam Riley or Adam Ball were going to do for a living when they were released by us? But they had to. The average age for a county cricketer retiring is 26!!! Equally, all counties can hardly cry "foul" when they "poach" players. Look at how upset Derbyshire were when Qadri came to us and Notts were when Evison did the same - the latter turned down a three contract at Notts. 

As I say, the mistake here, in my opinion, is that announcement at this stage of the season. Why couldn't it have waited for a couple of months? There really was no need for it. 

• Options
    If they bring in Robin Das to their team and he leapfrogs Lawrence in the England reckoning, that'd be hilarious
  • Options
    Yeah they want Das and Pepper to get the game time
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Yeah they want Das and Pepper to get the game time
    So club and player are happy. Lawrence going will release money that will allow them to offer better contracts to the likes of Das and Pepper. Essex might not have been able to do that had Lawrence stayed. Lawrence doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat. 
  • Options
    Its just how fans are in every sport

Poyet comes to end of contract and leaves - criticized
    Church comes to end of contract and released - celebration

But like you say, could have been announced 6 weeks down the line
    Now every performance will by ultra analysed

• Options
    At least with football pre contracts can only be with clubs in other countries, so other than teams in Europe, players won't be playing their future employers.

Imagine George Dobson announcing next March that had signed for Bolton, and still playing for Charlton for the rest of the season including a crucial promotion affecting game against Bolton?
  • Options
    People should remember there is a salary cap in county cricket  clubs are restricted to a budget of 2million pounds for player and coaching staff salaries, the exception being london clubs have an approx 10% London weighting allowance.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    People should remember there is a salary cap in county cricket  clubs are restricted to a budget of 2million pounds for player and coaching staff salaries, the exception being london clubs have an approx 10% London weighting allowance.
    And there will be a massive difference between the highest and lowest paid. That is one of the reasons, I'm sure, that Kent tried to release Stevens a few years ago - but then he embarrassed them with his end of season performances. This time there was no going back. 
  • Options
    Kent 59-0 after 6 overs
  • Options
    I don't use the phrase 'stealing a living' often, but this Hollman, my god
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't use the phrase 'stealing a living' often, but this Hollman, my god
    Denly proceeds to make him look like Warne
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Kent 228-3 after there 20 overs
  • Options
    Finish on 228-3 

No sign of a declaration 
  • Options
    Middlesex are a very weak side, so I'd be staggered if they got anywhere near that.

Good to see Denly get some runs. 
  • Options
    66-2 off of 6

Richardson continues his hot streak going for 20 off his first over 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    66-2 off of 6

Richardson continues his hot streak going for 20 off his first over 
    Richardson and Linde, the dream team of overseas signings
  • Options
    107-3 off 9 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    We're really trying to get them into the game with some of this bowling 
  • Options
    Lovely take by Hogan!
  • Options
    I must slag off Kane Richardson more  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assume Stewart has injured himself?
  • Options
    Two no balls, similar to helm 
  • Options
    Two no balls, similar to helm 
    Thanks
  • Options
    It says it all about modern cricket that only five of this side played in the CC game this week
  • Options
    Honestly, even by Kent’s standards they can’t surely be losing this? If you can’t defend that many against a team who haven’t won a single game this season then cricket really isn’t our sport 
  • Options
    Not impressed by Holdens reaction to getting his hundred , celebrating like he'd won the match with his hundred and it probably made no difference but to me helmet off drink etc when he got his ton was not the way to go when there was a job still be done and Middlesex were on the ascendancy 
    took him and the team out the zone 
    well done the Kent country boys
  • Options
    Not been watching, but with 3-4 overs left thought Middlesex were going to do it, so a good recovery at the death.
  • Options
    Good to get back to back wins. Onto tmrw night away at Gloucestershire live on Sky.

Cricket all day for me then! Ashes and T20 blast
  • Options
    Kent played well. DBD and Muyeye got them off to a good start and Denley carried it on. Holden batted superbly but had no support. Bilbo will be pleased.