Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Options
    According to the official Kent site Sibley has now been at the crease for this innings for 24 hours and 18 minutes. No wonder he's broke the all time record. 
  • Options
    According to the official Kent site Sibley has now been at the crease for this innings for 24 hours and 18 minutes. No wonder he's broke the all time record. 
    It feels so much longer.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm far more worried about the effect this will have on Kent for the rest of the season, than any smugness from the interlopers on this thread.

A massive blow to morale to have what would have been a great win over the best team in the league, turned into a record breaking defeat. 
  • Options
    In hindsight, I think Garry Ballance's nickname of The Snail was pretty harsh. According to my research, however, a snail moves at an average of one metre an hour whereas a sea anemone moves at a rate of one centimetre an hour. So Dom Sibley has to be The Sea Anemone.
  • Options
    I expect Sibley to bring out his ramp shots and reverse slogs for 6, now he's got his ton
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The perfect knock for the situation it has to be said.

• Options
    To be honest I'm far more worried about the effect this will have on Kent for the rest of the season, than any smugness from the interlopers on this thread.

A massive blow to morale to have what would have been a great win over the best team in the league, turned into a record breaking defeat. 
    I was going to say that we didn't score enough runs but I seriously can't believe that we would have set much more than 500 even if we'd had the option to declare. And this is probably our best bowling attack given what I've said about Gilchrist's injury and form situation and the fact that our top three wicket takers this season are currently on the pitch. I can't see who we would have brought in for Arshdeep, Agar, Quinn, Qadri and Evison. 
  • Options
    Leaning is clearly in a hurry to get off the pitch. Brought himself on and has gone for 23 in his 2 overs
  • Options
    I expect Sibley to bring out his ramp shots and reverse slogs for 6, now he's got his ton
    He's been flying along since he got it! 
  • Options
    Yes. Foakes is out. We're through them!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time is close of play ?
  • Options
    Yes. Foakes is out. We're through them!!!
    Rubbish batter that Foakes. No wonder England dropped him...
  • Options
    What time is close of play ?
    I reckon about 4.45 - when Surrey reach their target. There are still 35 overs to go at least otherwise though. 

Wish we hadn't locked Fanny's dancing shoes away now in that vault. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I thought we had a chance setting Surrey 501 to win. Looks like they're going to piss it.
    If we can get Foakes and then Jacks out then the game will change. You can set fields to Sibley and he's not going to do any damage without risking his wicket in those circumstances. It's that first wicket we need and preferably sooner rather than later. 

And now you're going to believe me   :D
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I thought we had a chance setting Surrey 501 to win. Looks like they're going to piss it.
    If we can get Foakes and then Jacks out then the game will change. You can set fields to Sibley and he's not going to do any damage without risking his wicket in those circumstances. It's that first wicket we need and preferably sooner rather than later. 

And now you're going to believe me   :D
    I think getting Foakes and Jacks back in the shed would have been preferable before lunch; after tea with the target less than 50 is a tad late ...
  • Options
    Kent CCC: twinned with Charlton Athletic FC.

No f***-up too big.
  • Options
    Bugger me, that wasn't even close in the end ... the Brownies could have chased down 650 against that attack, on that pitch, in this weather.
  • Options
    A truly bonkers game of cricket. 
    When Kent were 41 for 5 in their 1st innings who could have predicted they would set Surrey a target of 501 to win the game. 
    And who would have predicted Surrey would get it.
    Truly bonkers,  I don't think I've ever seen a game like it
  • Options
    I was concerned when Qadri and Evison were able to smack the ball around so easily on Day 3. And in reality, the Kent wickets that fell on that morning were mainly all as a result from us trying to press on, rather than from dangerous bowling. 

If the likes of Qadri, Quinn and the tail look untroubled, then Surrey's top order were likely to find it easy as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve got to the point where  I’m not even sure who to blame for that. 
  • Options
    I will say this once and only once and wish I could reduce the font size to 2 but hats off to Surrey. I thought scoreboard pressure would see Kent home but they chased down 500 relatively easy.  

It shows the gulf between the money counties and us normal folk.......I can't be 100% nice to those brown capped pricks and have to get a dig in somewhere.
  • Options
    Notts draw while Lancs win, pulling them a bit clear of the 3 strugglers, us, Middlesex and Northants
  • Options
    I will say this once and only once and wish I could reduce the font size to 2 but hats off to Surrey. I thought scoreboard pressure would see Kent home but they chased down 500 relatively easy.  

It shows the gulf between the money counties and us normal folk.......I can't be 100% nice to those brown capped pricks and have to get a dig in somewhere.
    Wash your mouth out.
  • Options
    Huge first innings lead, and yet we STILL can't beat the brown hatters  >:)
  • Options
    I think if Stokes has to miss an Ashes Test, they might have Jamie Smith straight in there 
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    The bottom line is that Surrey had an awful first innings and brilliant second innings. We were average in both. And we dropped far too many catches - Compton, alone, dropped three - and those could have made the difference between winning and losing. I think the bowlers gave their all and none of the front line five were expensive. 

Overall, though, the batting is our achilles heel. Too many are either out of form, making bad decisions or their technique simply isn't up to it. One only has to look at the averages of our batsmen this season to recognise that. We are hardly ever going to be able to set 400 plus with this:

Evison      38.55
    Compton  38.50
    Crawley    36.63
    Muyeye     32.00
    Cox          26.72
    Leaning    25.63
    DBD          21.11
    Billings       9.19
    Denly         4.16