Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2023

1149150151152153155»

Comments

• Options
    AA- in your report on Walker above you mention the T 20 world cup in US in 2024. I am trying, without success, get my brain around the structure of timings for 2024 season bearing in mind this, the 100, the Blast, the 50 over and then I suspect championship as a filler. So far all I have been able to ascertain is the England games in this country. Can you help? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    AA- in your report on Walker above you mention the T 20 world cup in US in 2024. I am trying, without success, get my brain around the structure of timings for 2024 season bearing in mind this, the 100, the Blast, the 50 over and then I suspect championship as a filler. So far all I have been able to ascertain is the England games in this country. Can you help? 
    The fixtures haven't been released yet but the T20 WC runs from the 4th to the 30th June. Last season we played 10 T20 and 2 CC matches during that period. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Interesting to see that John Simpson has left Middx to join Sussex. Simpson still had a year left of his contract but his release was agreed by mutual consent. Middx were relegated but the rumour is that this is part of the ECB insistence on them reducing their wage bill. Sussex already have three keepers in Tom Alsop, Oli Carter and Scotland U19 Charlie Tear. Middx released, prior to the end of the season, the lad I mentioned, Daniel O'Driscoll, who has been on trial with us and one or two other counties too and we are still a keeper short despite rumours that O'Driscoll or Will Buttleman, released by Essex, would be joining us. 
    I always find some late career sideways player moves slightly puzzling. Steven Finn also made the same move to Sussex a couple of years ago before retiring.
    In Simpson's case I suspect that it's security. He had one year left on his Middx contract and with their finances as it is there is no guarantee that, as a then 36 year old, that he would be given another one. Sussex, on the other hand, have given him a three-year contract.
  • Options
    redman said:
    The fixtures haven't been released yet but the T20 WC runs from the 4th to the 30th June. Last season we played 10 T20 and 2 CC matches during that period. 
    Fits as I notice there are no England games between 30 May and 10 July. Also notice no England games between 26 July and 21 August so I suspect this when their stupid 100 will take place. 

• Options
    Interesting to see that John Simpson has left Middx to join Sussex. Simpson still had a year left of his contract but his release was agreed by mutual consent. Middx were relegated but the rumour is that this is part of the ECB insistence on them reducing their wage bill. Sussex already have three keepers in Tom Alsop, Oli Carter and Scotland U19 Charlie Tear. Middx released, prior to the end of the season, the lad I mentioned, Daniel O'Driscoll, who has been on trial with us and one or two other counties too and we are still a keeper short despite rumours that O'Driscoll or Will Buttleman, released by Essex, would be joining us. 

This is an interesting one from a Sussex perspective because I expected us to keep on developing Carter in all formats as a keeper. Although we have lacked a solid keeper batsman since the acrimonious departure of Ben Brown a couple of years back and the overall batting department has lacked some county knowhow, Haines had a down year and was dropped for disciplinary reasons from the penultimate game, Alsop is solid at 3 , Ali Orr was injured for most of the season and can also Keep along with Carter, Alsop and Tear. 

Would expect Simpson keeps in all formats however. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    /MarcusH26 said:

This is an interesting one from a Sussex perspective because I expected us to keep on developing Carter in all formats as a keeper. Although we have lacked a solid keeper batsman since the acrimonious departure of Ben Brown a couple of years back and the overall batting department has lacked some county knowhow, Haines had a down year and was dropped for disciplinary reasons from the penultimate game, Alsop is solid at 3 , Ali Orr was injured for most of the season and can also Keep along with Carter, Alsop and Tear. 

We've known this for a while that Matt Prior is no great fan of Rob Andrew and he isn't holding back here in that respect. Trouble is that he is now involved with the ECB

• Options
    Zak Crawley has been given a two year Central Contract
  • Options
    Alex Gidman has left to become England Women's Assistant Coach. So, we are now looking for a batting and bowling coach. 
  • Options
    Alex Gidman has left to become England Women's Assistant Coach. So, we are now looking for a batting and bowling coach. 
    After Rob Andrew getting an ECB job after hardly succeeding at Sussex, this feels like another case where many people will be happy he's left.

Our batting this season hasn't been good enough, with too many players underperforming, considering that on paper our batting should be better than our bowling.
  • Options
    No real surprise but Jaydn Denly has signed a rookie contract
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Ashley will buy Headingley from Yorkshire for £23m as cricket club look to clear their debts... with ex-Newcastle owner close to securing 10-year naming rights deal for the ground l
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I’d expect Simpson to keep in all formats, too. Carter is becoming a decent batter. I‘m assuming the hope is to turn his consistent 40s and 50s into tons by relieving him of the gloves. Also, I don’t think he’s a great keeper.
  • Options
    Confirmation of the precise terms of Wes Agar's return - the first 10 CC matches and group stages of the The Blast:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/wes-agars-return-confirmed-for-2024-season-start/
  • Options
    We now have 21 contracted players with the scope for another overseas. Assuming that we have the finances, I would think that we need one more batsman, another quick and probably a young keeper as back up to Billings and Finch.

Bats:
    Compton
    Crawley
    DBD
    Denly (Joe)
    Leaning
    Muyeye
    O'Riordan

Keepers:
    Billings
    Finch

Spinners:
    Denly (Jaydn) 
    Parkinson
    Qadri

Seamers:
    Agar
    Bhuiyan
    Evison
    Garrett
    Gilchrist
    Klaassen
    Quinn
    Singh
    Stewart

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Addick Addict
    looks good but Zak is centrally contracted so we will not have much say when he plays . Plus I thought Fred is white ball only . Also added the possibility that Billings might not play too much red ball cricket 
  • Options
    Addick Addict
    looks good but Zak is centrally contracted so we will not have much say when he plays . Plus I thought Fred is white ball only . Also added the possibility that Billings might not play too much red ball cricket 
    I dare say Crawley will play some games if only to get his eye in for Tests and possibly white ball internationals too. As I've said, we probably need another batsman, seamer and third choice keeper. Not sure whether that second overseas player should be a batsman or seamer but assuming we get those three extra players I would say that we should have, ignoring Crawley, about 20 for each of the CC and Blast and probably 18 for Metro Bank. Ignoring overseas players, we lost Hogan, Cox, Blake (limited appearances) and Logan (although he didn't play any games) and have replaced two of those to date with Parkinson and Garrett. Klaassen missed all of the season too and Gilchrist was injured for a lot of it too so, in theory, we should be stronger in terms of numbers at least. 
  • Options
    Realistically, how often will O'Riordan and Bhuiyan play?

O'Riordan seems to have been around forever, without playing much. Indeed I'm surprised he's still under contract, he's 25 now so not a kid. Muyeye and Qadri are 22 by comparison.
  • Options
    Realistically, how often will O'Riordan and Bhuiyan play?

O'Riordan seems to have been around forever, without playing much. Indeed I'm surprised he's still under contract, he's 25 now so not a kid. Muyeye and Qadri are 22 by comparison.
    I agree but these two might play some games in the Metro Bank depending on who we lose to the fiasco. O'Riordan has had a terrible run of injuries in the last couple of years, couldn't bowl as a result but as a back up player (and probably cheap too) he isn't the worst and actually did well in the 2s. I thought Bhuiyan was only signed on a short term contract to the end of last season but he remains part of the 21 man squad on the site. Unfortunately, we can't afford to have 24 players banging on the first team door but we do need 24 bodies just in case. 
  • Options
    Looks like a squad with a nice gap for an overseas batsman to come in 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like a squad with a nice gap for an overseas batsman to come in 
    And a decent physio 
  • Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/michael-cohen-joins-kent-on-two-year-contract/

Kent sign left armer Michael Cohen. Looking at Cricinfo he doesn't seem to have played any 1st 11 cricket since 2021?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketers/michael-cohen-952729/matches
  • Options
    We do appear to be throwing a lot of raw fast bowlers against the wall and seeing which ones do stick. Cohen appears to have had his fair share of injuries. Have we become the Charlton of professional cricket?

Michael Cohen surprised a few observers in his debut season as he hurried them with his pace in 2020.

A genuinely fast bowler who missed much of the 2021 season with a back injury, Cohen has played fifteen all formats matches for Derbyshire taking twenty-three wickets.

His best performance to date came in the Championship game against Warwickshire at Derby in 2021 when he took 5-43 in the second innings.

Written before the 2022 season.

• Options
    We now have 22 contracted players with the scope for another overseas. Assuming that we have the finances, I would think that we need one more batsman, another quick and probably a young keeper as back up to Billings and Finch.

Bats:
    Compton
    Crawley
    DBD
    Denly (Joe)
    Leaning
    Muyeye
    O'Riordan

Keepers:
    Billings
    Finch

Spinners:
    Denly (Jaydn) 
    Parkinson
    Qadri

Seamers:
    Agar
    Bhuiyan
    Evison
    Garrett
    Gilchrist
    Klaassen
    Quinn
    Singh
    Stewart
    Cohen

We are only one short of having a team of seamers but I suppose they'll need Billings or Finch to keep anyway. A quality overseas batsman/keeper would be handy. 
  • Options
    Glenn Maxwell would LOVE Canterbury ! 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67350945

In this BBC article about the greatest ever ODI innings, the one by Kapel Dev stood out due to where it was played

Kapil Dev - 175* for India v Zimbabwe, 1983 World Cup
    India were 17-5 shortly after Dev arrived at the crease, but the all-rounder struck a then record ODI score of 175 not out off 138 balls at Tunbridge Wells.

Imagine India playing at an outground now... Kent really need to get back to Tunbridge Wells too.
  • Options
    We do appear to be throwing a lot of raw fast bowlers against the wall and seeing which ones do stick. Cohen appears to have had his fair share of injuries. Have we become the Charlton of professional cricket?

Michael Cohen surprised a few observers in his debut season as he hurried them with his pace in 2020.

A genuinely fast bowler who missed much of the 2021 season with a back injury, Cohen has played fifteen all formats matches for Derbyshire taking twenty-three wickets.

His best performance to date came in the Championship game against Warwickshire at Derby in 2021 when he took 5-43 in the second innings.

Written before the 2022 season.

To be fair, he looks rapid!! Hopefully if we can keep him fit and get him firing we will have a good signing on our hands. It does feel the dynamics of the squad is changing! Players with a point to prove. 
  • Options
    Congratulations to the man in the middle!