Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Current Adverts you hate!!

Comments

• Options
    I try to record most programmes so I can fast forward through the adverts
  • Options
    Not an advert as such, but the trailer for the show with Mark Wright, His brother and his dad. Does my nut in that they assume I'm interested in him or his family. Famous for fuck all but being on telly. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Passive aggressive adverts telling us we are pronouncing the name wrong. Hyundai and Skoda at the moment. Bad luck chaps, our accent is different. You should have learned from IKEA who did similar and got nowhere…
    This. Especially with Hyundai. They 100% pronounced it the old way for years on their advertisements. Why not say “we’ve decided to pronounce it…”? instead of telling people they’re pronouncing it wrong.

Nestles, as in the Nestles milky bar kid advert when I grew up, then suddenly it's Nest-lay.
  • Options
    The Ian botham advert, promoting some dodgy foot/leg massage machine. Cringing!!
  • Options
    Head and shoulders advert “didn’t know you had dandruff………. I don’t” ohhh fuck off!!!
  • Options
    The f*cking Cupra advert I keep seeing...

It's just a collection of insane clips strung together by a Spanish voiceover, which thank fuck I can vaguely understand, or else I would feel like I'm having some sort of stroke. The weirdest clips I remember is a woman in full motocross gear with one tit out breastfeeding and some weird mindbending piano

On writing this I've discovered it's cut down from a half spanish/half english advert which has slightly more continuity, but is equally insane

I wish I could find it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Foxycafc said:
    The f*cking Cupra advert I keep seeing...

It's just a collection of insane clips strung together by a Spanish voiceover, which thank fuck I can vaguely understand, or else I would feel like I'm having some sort of stroke. The weirdest clips I remember is a woman in full motocross gear with one tit out breastfeeding and some weird mindbending piano

On writing this I've discovered it's cut down from a half spanish/half english advert which has slightly more continuity, but is equally insane

I wish I could find it...

If you don't believe me 😂
  • Options
    Numan. 
  • Options
    Robinson ad is awful. Choir gurgling with the drink, who does that with anything other than water or mouthwash? Girl in the choir singing this girl is on fire, can’t see the relevance of that and it’s been used multiple times before and then final tagline is Get Thirsty! No idea what that means either really. Shocking ad.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Robinson ad is awful. Choir gurgling with the drink, who does that with anything other than water or mouthwash? Girl in the choir singing this girl is on fire, can’t see the relevance of that and it’s been used multiple times before and then final tagline is Get Thirsty! No idea what that means either really. Shocking ad.
    Sorry thats the advert I mistook for the Listerine advert, shows how ineffective it is if you cant remember the product, and makes even less sense.
  • Options
    I guess the advertising agencies would argue the adverts are working then 😉
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Any of them that have a breathy teenage girl doing a slow, weak, shitty version of an old song in the background.   

Virtually all perfume/aftershave adverts. 
  • Options
    Any of them that have a breathy teenage girl doing a slow, weak, shitty version of an old song in the background.   

As a side note to your post, it’s amazing how many great old rock and pop songs are used in all manner of ads.
    Of course they are much appreciated and spotted straight away by us oldies but most youngsters will not know the songs at all and I guess they’ll think they are something new. 
    I have a quiet smile to myself. 😏
  • Options

As a side note to your post, it’s amazing how many great old rock and pop songs are used in all manner of ads.
    Of course they are much appreciated and spotted straight away by us oldies but most youngsters will not know the songs at all and I guess they’ll think they are something new. 
    I have a quiet smile to myself. 😏
    Yes - even some of the obscure rockabilly/do-wop/(proper)RnB songs that I listen to get an outing now and then, SoundAs.  
  • Options
    Volvo adverts, they usually come on just before the opening credits for any series you download on sky.  “Incredible stories start with feeling safe, Volvo”.  No they don’t, they’re the worst stories, most good stories start with a pint which reduces safety after two or three.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TUI - 2017 - “Ain’t nobody……..”

Six years since it’s been on but it’s still traumatising to think about.
  • Options
    Booking.com and that awful fat bird! Makes me determined never to use that app! So many poor ads now. They used to be far more creative.
  • Options
    cafc375 said:
    Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy. If you've seen it you'll know what one I'm referring to. 
    One of the very few adverts I quite like. For one reason only, the twee keyboard reminds me on Southern Mark Smith by The Jazz Butcher. 
  • Options
    edited January 23

The MacMillan Cancer advert were the (actor/talking head?) fluffs the line “You probably didn’t know my dad Robert”, putting too big a gap between ‘dad’ and ‘Robert’ and making it sound like the listener is Robert. ‘But, I'm not Robert’, I often shout at the radio!  [corrected, thanks MrOneLung] 

Robert DeNiro advertising Uber. WTF? Bob, are you really so poor that you need to sell your soul to Louis Cyphre?

The Gas advert that proclaims, ‘You’re Tom Daley”. No I’m not, stop messing with my head. I know who I am. 

There’s another ad that I think might be for British Gas (I can’t stand it though, so I mentally switch off before they tell me), which is essentially a menu containing a load of completely unrelated foodstuffs which ends with ‘bring it home with a spatchcock’. I presume I’m missing out on some cultural reference, but it’s just gobbledegook. Stop this nonsense.

Ads that pretend they have the endorsement of people who are dead. The Checkatrade ad where that bloke claims, “I’m Julius Caesar” strikes me as bizarre, but the use of Albert Einstein to push smart meters seems truly unfair to the great man’s memory if not completely duplicitous. How do they know that Albert would have been in favour of these devices? He might, had he lived to an improbable age, have shared exactly the same reservations that many of us have about these products.

The McDonald’s ‘Change a Little Change a Lot’ propaganda that tries to persuade us that because they now use free range eggs or that their beef comes from Britain or Ireland (so what?) they are paragons of virtue. No, they are still a shitty corporation that pays low wages, has an anti-union history and has even been implicated in the use of child labour. All this whilst pushing a culture of high calorie, low nutrition fast food.  

Worst of all though are the terrible ‘More Reasons to Shop at Morrisons’ ads. They take the iconic final phrase of Jesús González Rubio’s Jarabe Tapatio (Mexican Hat Dance) and absolutely mangle it. An extra note having to be crammed in to cater for the fact that their strapline doesn’t scan. Whoever did this should be jailed for crimes against music.

• Options
    edited January 23
    Volvo adverts, they usually come on just before the opening credits for any series you download on sky.  “Incredible stories start with feeling safe, Volvo”.  No they don’t, they’re the worst stories, most good stories start with a pint which reduces safety after two or three.
    Those adverts are placed there so you can scroll through all the other adverts and know when to stop so you don’t miss the restart of the program you are watching 

same as the one with the guy who’s so hungry he eats the bit of paper thrown into his soup by a passer by 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    There are far too many crap adverts, personal favorites are the On the Beach yob family, the man chasing a truck with a tomato falling off it, one where they keep saying Sure after everything, one with the doorbell going off every two seconds, all the Currys ones (esp the Font of Knowledge). Oh they make me so mad!

• Options
    edited January 23
    Stig said:

The MacMillan Cancer advert where the (actor/talking head?) fluffs the line “You probably didn’t know my dad Robert”, putting too big a gap between ‘dad’ and ‘Robert’. This stops Robert from being his dad and makes him the listener’s. This invariably has me shouting at the radio, ‘But, my dad’s not Robert’! 

Robert DeNiro advertising Uber. WTF? Bob, are you really so poor that you need to sell your soul to Louis Cyphre?

The Gas advert that proclaims, ‘You’re Tom Daley”. No I’m not, stop messing with my head. I know who I am. 

There’s another ad that I think might be for British Gas (I can’t stand it though, so I mentally switch off before they tell me), which is essentially a menu containing a load of completely unrelated foodstuffs which ends with ‘bring it home with a spatchcock’. I presume I’m missing out on some cultural reference, but it’s just gobbledegook. Stop this nonsense.

Ads that pretend they have the endorsement of people who are dead. The Checkatrade ad where that bloke claims, “I’m Julius Caesar” strikes me as bizarre, but the use of Albert Einstein to push smart meters seems truly unfair to the great man’s memory if not completely duplicitous. How do they know that Albert would have been in favour of these devices? He might, had he lived to an improbable age, have shared exactly the same reservations that many of us have about these products.

The McDonald’s ‘Change a Little Change a Lot’ propaganda that tries to persuade us that because they now use free range eggs or that their beef comes for Britain or Ireland (so what?) they are paragons of virtue. No, they are still a shitty corporation that pays low wages, has an anti-union history and has even been implicated in the use of child labour. All this whilst pushing a culture of high calorie, low nutrition fast food.  

Worst of all though are the terrible ‘More Reasons to Shop at Morrisons’ ads. They take the iconic final phrase of Jesús González Rubio’s Jarabe Tapatio (Mexican Hat Dance) and absolutely mangle it. An extra note having to be crammed in to cater for the fact that their strapline doesn’t scan. Whoever did this should be jailed for crimes against music.

I have no idea what you saying here  - how does the gap make him the viewers Dad ?
  • Options
    edited January 23
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:

The MacMillan Cancer advert where the (actor/talking head?) fluffs the line “You probably didn’t know my dad Robert”, putting too big a gap between ‘dad’ and ‘Robert’. This stops Robert from being his dad and makes him the listener’s. This invariably has me shouting at the radio, ‘But, my dad’s not Robert’! 

The McDonald’s ‘Change a Little Change a Lot’ propaganda that tries to persuade us that because they now use free range eggs or that their beef comes for Britain or Ireland (so what?) they are paragons of virtue. No, they are still a shitty corporation that pays low wages, has an anti-union history and has even been implicated in the use of child labour. All this whilst pushing a culture of high calorie, low nutrition fast food.  

I have no idea what you saying here  - does the gap make him the viewers Dad ?
    It's a radio ad, I don't know if it's on the telly.

Sorry, I got it all around my neck. It's not my dad that's not Robert, it's me that's not Robert, if you get the drift. The gap makes it like he's addressing someone called Robert.