Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Messi’s contract

Comments

• Joining Inter Miami apparently.

Bet he's gutted he just missed out on being managed by Phil Neville.
  • If he's going there he might as well have just taken the crazy Saudi money.

Apparently he has a home in Miami already though so i can understand it. In reality though he's pretty much mentally checked out since winning the world cup. 
  • Surprised, Barca were back in for him and Saudi money is more than MLS money
  • Wasn’t there a story about Miami loaning him back to Barcelona as part of the deal? 
  • Really can't understand joining Miami.  They are bottom of the league and crap.  The only saving grace is it's nearer his homeland I suppose.

I thought they had strict salary caps over there so he is unlikely to be earning silly money

Seems a strange move given he had other options - if nothing eklse go join Cronaldo and show him uup some more
  • edited June 2023
    Have always been a big Messi fan, and it would have been most appropriate for him to finish his career at Barcelona. 

The greatest footballer of all time going to a league like MLS or Saudi purely as a end of career experiment/payday feels like bit of a shame.
  • Swisdom said:
    Really can't understand joining Miami.  They are bottom of the league and crap.  The only saving grace is it's nearer his homeland I suppose.

I thought they had strict salary caps over there so he is unlikely to be earning silly money

Seems a strange move given he had other options - if nothing eklse go join Cronaldo and show him uup some more
    There is a salary cap but each MLS team is allowed to pay 3 designated players as much as they want without it being a part of the cap. The league changed the rules when Beckham went there.

As part of his deal Beckham earned a % of the entire clubs revenue when he went there, so he made tens of millions each year. As well as of course as being able to then have his own team, which ironically Messi will now play for.

Messi will likely have something where his salary is tied into sponsorship deals. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Surprised, Barca were back in for him and Saudi money is more than MLS money
    Having been to both Saudi and Miami... I know which one I'd choose!  He doesn't really need the Saudi money and I don't really know why Ronaldo has gone there as he has hundreds of millions in the bank and the Miami lifestyle is fantastic - especially for his kids.
  • This signing is absurd really. Apple TV  is effectively giving him a % of all TV money generated.

How is it fair that the league is buying a player for just one team?

MLS long abandoned the basic principle of playing each team home and away, so some teams won't even get to see him play.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2023
    Yeh. But he never experienced the mist rolling in from the Thames or The Valley Cafe all you can eat breakfast!
  • Fuming, opened this thread thinking it was about the first ‘pre’ signing of the new regime. 
  • edited June 2023
    Think it’s a good decision and glad he chose the MLS over Saudi money. The MLS continues to go from strength to strength and our football will soon be America’s third most popular sport behind Gridiron and Basketball.

As a Brit living stateside, some of the outdated views held by European fans on how Americans enjoy our sport baffles me. Perhaps it’s the old farts like Sandgaard that give the wrong impression but football is surging with the under 30s demographic and shows no signs of slowing down.

As for Messi, he’s getting a ridiculous contract / cut of revenue as a result of his signing but this is an incredibly smart move by the MLS three years out from the next World Cup…

Just as Beckham took the MLS to the next level years ago, Messi is going to do the same but only take it further
  • sam3110 said:
    Surprised, Barca were back in for him and Saudi money is more than MLS money
    He hardly needs anymore methinks.
  • Think it’s a good decision and glad he chose the MLS over Saudi money. The MLS continues to go from strength to strength and our football will soon be America’s third most popular sport behind Gridiron and Basketball.

As a Brit living stateside, some of the outdated views held by European fans on how Americans enjoy our sport baffles me. Perhaps it’s the old farts like Sandgaard that give the wrong impression but football is surging with the under 30s demographic and shows no signs of slowing down.

As for Messi, he’s getting a ridiculous contract / cut of revenue as a result of his signing but this is an incredibly smart move by the MLS three years out from the next World Cup…

Just as Beckham took the MLS to the next level years ago, Messi is going to do the same but only take it further
    He chose money either way. 
  • True enough but I doubt the MLS could match the hundreds of millions that the Saudis no doubt put on the table.
  • It amazes me that Messi and that twat Ronaldo are chasing money at this stage of their career. What do they need it for ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Think it’s a good decision and glad he chose the MLS over Saudi money. The MLS continues to go from strength to strength and our football will soon be America’s third most popular sport behind Gridiron and Basketball.

As a Brit, the structure of the league does rather make the league feel like a giant exhibition.

1. No relegation
    2. A pointless regular season that means teams play 38 games to eliminate just 32% of teams from the playoffs
    3. Endless expansion that means teams don't play each other home and away and play different fixtures which is hardly fair
    4. Randomly stopping in July to make way for the "Leagues Cup" - an obvious money spinner

Whole thing is a joke tbh. And I hate that MLS ruthlessly suppresses all the lower divisions teams.

This is the kind of stuff you have to be pragmatic about though. Without those types of safety nets, the league isn’t nearly as successful as it has been. And the quality of the matches themselves are actually pretty good…

In an ideal world, the competition includes promotion/relegation and a proper pyramid structure. Everyone knows it.

Feel free to dismiss it as a joke exhibition but none of us that follow other American leagues feel that way about the NFL, NBA or MLB

NFL = 17 game season to eliminate 56.25% of teams
    NBA = 82 game season to eliminate 46.66% of teams
    MLB = 162 game season to eliminate 60% of teams

Just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s bad 🤷‍♂️

• Well it is bad in the sense that the league is not cut-throat enough. Winning is nice, and losing is mere inconvenience. 

It works for other US sports because they're not global. Football is, and the MLS feels like a 3rd rate product even in the USA (especially given how widespread the Premier League has become).
  • Apparently he didn't fancy taking his family over to Saudi Arabia to settle for a brief period. Ironic given that he's being paid millions of pounds to promote tourism in Saudi Arabia..
  • His contract with Miami is reportedly £43m/yr, before any sponsorships or revenue shares.

Puts him just ahead of the highest paid NFL player.
  • This signing is absurd really. Apple TV  is effectively giving him a % of all TV money generated.

How is it fair that the league is buying a player for just one team?

MLS long abandoned the basic principle of playing each team home and away, so some teams won't even get to see him play.
    Adidas have also sweetened the deal...