Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    That is bonkers. 

I know they have been in financial difficulties before but how do they get out of this and stay a members club?

I doubt there is currently any appetite for the city/regional/national government to bail them out, like has happened to Real Madrid in the past? 
  • Options
    Eye watering numbers, but for the sake of balance I’d be keen to understand roughly how much revenue he has generated back for Barcelona.

I’m not referring to just goals/trophies - but the shirt sales, tickets, overseas interest, sponsors etc. He must have made them an absolute fortune.

I went to Nou Camp 2 years ago to do a tour, and you get the feeling that many of the other people doing it are there in some way because Messi is the driving force in their interest of the club.
  • Options
    Wait so Messi is half the clubs debt?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    That's a crazy contract no question but...........how much is he worth to them in revenue?

In their most recent results, Deloitte again announced Barcelona as the worlds richest club, with revenue of over 700m, a fall from the 820m it was before Covid struck. As a club they are worth over 3 billion.

How much of those figures are down to Messi?

Let's not also forget that he asked to leave at the end of last season, which would have saved them his 138m a season wage and you'd have assumed also saved them some of the 77m loyalty bonus. Despite their ridiculous debt levels, they fought to keep him, so that alone shows you how much they feel he's worth to them.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Wait so Messi is half the clubs debt?
    Probably half their revenue too!
  • Options
    They were willing to pay him that 
  • Options
    Naturally many will look at this and straight away think 'Messi has crippled Barcelona', but if anything their transfer deals for Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho have done more harm. Almost 400m in transfer fees for 3 players who have rarely performed well for them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was listening to the superb Price of Football podcast this week and heard something which actually trumps this situation.

Fenerbache in Turkey have just signed Mesut Ozil from Arsenal, which is by far the most high profile signing in Turkish football history.

However, in the past week they have put out an appeal to fans to make donations in order to fund Ozil’s wages.....

Fenerbache are over £430m in debt (!!!), and are not a Champions League, revenue monster like Barcelona. 

Makes the Messi/Barca situation seem sensible in comparison!
  • Options
    Probably rules us out of getting him this window
    How can we make it work within the cap?
  • Options
    As long as the other 2,710,650 players are on £1 a year....
  • Options
    Never mind the cap he fails the CL height test 😉.
  • Options
    Smyth being recalled and selling Bogle and Williams should make some room. Until the window is closed we have a chance.
  • Options
    To work within the cap i think he'd have to play for free for 51 weeks of the year and the rest of the squad could earn about 50p a year.
  • Options
    To work within the cap i think he'd have to play for free for 51 weeks of the year and the rest of the squad could earn about 50p a year.
    Plus we wouldn’t have to pay out the win bonus when we play Millwall that week either...🥺
  • Options
    Mate that is great it did make me laugh. But you could actually see it happen couldn't u lol
  • Options
    Messi has now netted in eight La Liga games in a row - 12 goals in total during those matches - his best streak in two years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goat.
  • Options
    Goat.
    Yes. I think Messi is the greatest natural player  of all time. Ronaldo, as good as he is, is a totally differnet type of player. Just imagine them both in the same team!
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Goat.
    Yes. I think Messi is the greatest natural player  of all time. Ronaldo, as good as he is, is a totally differnet type of player. Just imagine them both in the same team!
    Will happen, both playing for Inter Miami in about 3 years time
  • Options
    Police have raided Barcalona's office and arrested two of their presidents!
  • Options
    Police have raided Barcalona's office and arrested two of their presidents!
    It seems it is more to do with their social media smear campaign on opposing clubs than anything else.

Though they are rumoured to be approximately $1b in debt so it's probably safe to say all is no rosy!
  • Options
    Barça had a members meeting in the last week or two, and the new president Joan laporta, pushed through a motion to stick firmly with the new Super League. I get the impression that the 'socios' will be happy enough if they get more money to buy players from the SL, and their debts make it imprescindible - that and UEFA's inability to punish the three who are still involved and who show no sign of backing down.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the Danial Levy comment, that Spurs were that close to signing him