Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Messi’s contract

124»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Pub league
    About League One level tbh, imagine Messi playing against our defence, or Darren Pratley....
    Genuine question 

How many MLS games(not highlights) games do you both watch 

Behind League 1, MLS is the league i watch most and all I see on twitter is MLS is a pub league, its terrible from people who never actually watch it.

I have been watching MLS since BWP and Lloyd Sam moved other there and it has improved massively from when I started watching it.

Now I'm not saying its fantastic but if you watch say a Premier League weekend you will see mistakes from goalkeepers or defenders as well its just part of football happens in every league across the world.

MLS is better than League 1 standard IMO and probably on par with higher championship the top teams could probably compete with bottom quarter of Premier League(I'm talking teams like Philadelphia Union could match Everton)

But people that just see handpicked clips and automatically go oh MLS is a terrible league, my sunday league team could beat them without watching a game gets to me.

I say to people all the time actually watch a game the standard is better than you think.

Genuinely don't think i would go into any game thinking Charlton would beat any MLS team(even teams that where terrible at one point Cinnci as an example appalling until Jaap Stam but look incredible this season)
    I would put it on par with the Saudi league. 

Players are there to retire or get a paycheck. There are no top tier 1 players playing in the MLS. The top players in the MLS are either hoovered up from South America or middling Tier 1 European players looking for a paycheck. 

In my mind Messi is retired and if he chooses to get a paycheck scoring 200 goals against American goalkeepers, it's akin to Mayweather doing his exhibition bouts over the previous few years. 
    He’s earned the right to go and play wherever he wants, he has nothing left to prove to anybody at this point.

Miami is also a convenient one for he and his family, for a number of reasons. 

As for the quality of MLS - it’s often spoken about how gruelling the schedule is and the level of cardio required to keep up a full season is often forgotten. They’re playing across different time zones, in a range of climates. 

It’s not on the level of any of the major European leagues, but calling it a pub league is laughable. 

Were you not trying to throw weird criticisms at Messi frequently even when he was carrying his country to the World Cup last Winter? It comes across that you have quite a dislike for him, not sure why. 

The travel is a huge thing that European players always bring up about MLS , it's adapting from going from a couple of hours on a coach to flying crosscountry to play Tuesday at altitude in Colorado and then have a Saturday home game. 

Still see some really poor defending in MLS , but the quality is getting better and better - adding Messi is only going to improve it and get it on more players radars. Billy Sharp has just gone out there to play for LA Galaxy which will be interesting to see how he does at 37. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The whip he gets on the shot - no keeper in the world saves that. Vintage Messi.

Nashville equalised in the second half and took the game to penalties. Inter Miami win the inaugral Leagues Cup 10-9 on penalties.
  • Options
    I wonder how it feels for Lionel to win the Leagues Cup.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Up there with the World Cup.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It’s no Rumbelows TBF. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    You mean to become the most decorated player in the history of football after winning his 44th trophy for Club and Country 

Probably pretty good 
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Speaking to Dru Yearwoods (plays for NY Red Bulls) old man , he boozes at our cricket club , said they were playing Messi’s mob tonight . 
    Looks like he went off at HT 
  • Options
    Brilliant goal. I think the MLS is ideal for Messi. He has won everything other than the Papa John's Pizza cup  so wouldn't be surprised to see him at Wimbledon next season. 
  • Options
    Brilliant goal. I think the MLS is ideal for Messi. He has won everything other than the Papa John's Pizza cup  so wouldn't be surprised to see him at Wimbledon next season. 
    As long as he doesn’t join us to win that shithouse cup 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I know @paulie8290 won't thank me for saying this, but the MLS really is a joke league. Not in terms of the football as it's actually a very entertaining league, but in terms of their schedule.

For some reason the MLS carries on and plays through the international break, so Inter Miami have to play this coming weekend without Messi and SIX other players who've been called up by their countries. The same will happen again for the next one in October as well.

They really need to get this sorted out.
  • Options
    I know @paulie8290 won't thank me for saying this, bur the MLS really is a joke league. Not in terms of the football as it's actually a very entertaining league, but in terms of their schedule.

For some reason the MLS carries on and plays through the international break, so Inter Miami have to play this coming weekend without Messi and SIX other players who've been called up by their countries. The same will happen again for the next one in October as well.

This is one thing I don't understand with MLS, the league is getting there in terms of quality but playing through the international break is bizarre. 
  • Options
    I know @paulie8290 won't thank me for saying this, but the MLS really is a joke league. Not in terms of the football as it's actually a very entertaining league, but in terms of their schedule.

I actually agree with this, if they want to start to be taken seriously they need to stop for international breaks for a start, ridiculous that teams are gonna be suffering not just Inter Miami but others like Atlanta have player like GG, Lobjanidze, Almada, Robinson all called up thats a big gap to fill suddenly 
  • Options
    Do results largely stay the same over the International Break, or do the teams that don't suffer with player absences tend to do better?

I've always been pro stopping for the International Break because it naturally makes sense - But would also love to see it continue here in England, because of the jeopardy it would throw in.

Although no doubt the likes of Man City will probably just sign more players, to avoid having to play kids against those who arent of International standard, e.g. Palace.
  • Options
    Do results largely stay the same over the International Break, or do the teams that don't suffer with player absences tend to do better?

I've always been pro stopping for the International Break because it naturally makes sense - But would also love to see it continue here in England, because of the jeopardy it would throw in.

Although no doubt the likes of Man City will probably just sign more players, to avoid having to play kids against those who arent of International standard, e.g. Palace.

All PL teams would lose most of their best players though. Palace have plenty of internationals.

Besides it gives Hodgson time to catch up on the gardening and watching Antiques Roadshow with that nice young Fiona Bruce 😉
  • Options

City would probably need to field Scott Carson and 10 schoolboys.

I'd guess that every player in their first team squad is an international and even if you go down into their youth teams, they probably have a lot of kids away with various U21s, U19s, U18s etc.
  • Options

City would probably need to field Scott Carson and 10 schoolboys.

I'd guess that every player in their first team squad is an international and even if you go down into their youth teams, they probably have a lot of kids away with various U21s, U19s, U18s etc.
    Even the ones like Kalvin Phillips who never play are still internationals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All PL teams would lose most of their best players though. Palace have plenty of internationals.

Besides it gives Hodgson time to catch up on the gardening and watching Antiques Roadshow with that nice young Fiona Bruce 😉
    and a quick game of Warhammer (10 hour version)
  • Options
    Btw that pub league keeper that Messi beat from 30+ yards is the Jamaican #1, 68 international caps.

Mostly in agreement with Paulie here, I think the best MLS teams compete well in the top half of the Championship. The worst are probably League 1/League 2 yo-yo clubs.
    Think this is reasonable. Top half of Championship might be pushing it. I suspect Ipswich or Leicester would win MLS without getting out of third gear.

Have seen the Whitecaps play a fair bit and they wouldn't get promoted out of League One. So much time and space on the ball it's insane.