Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney asking for big crowd for Brighton match (Potential Buyers?)

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    If there is a potential buyer/investor (it can only be Middle Eastern or USA) who could make a difference at this club would need to be backed by a load of money…This club needs a completely new outfit including a hat. TS must know about this person(?) with initial discussions already taken place and agreed for PV to make his announcement. Otherwise TS will look rather stupid should the new messiah arrive and steals his ego.
    If this was the case why bother sacking garner and having to pay him off 
    surely he wld rather sit and wait it out till completed
    Just because someone is interested in buying the club, doesn't mean they will.
  • Options
    This isn’t complicated. It’s easier for a potential owner to understand what things could be like by experiencing a packed Valley than looking at old videos or spreadsheets.

If you think the experience plays no part in such decisions you are misunderstanding why most people get involved in football.

I don’t see what the downside is. Most of us would prefer to be in a bigger crowd with a better atmosphere. 
    You have been very quiet so far on this. Do you think this interested party can turn things around? And how strong is the interest? Is it a new party?
  • Options
    Isn't Peter only reaching a bunch of us on social media though, with no more than a cryptic message?
    I doubt the silent and fast disappearing hordes will get the message and are probably past caring anyway.
    In will be there, of course I will.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Can the CARD campaign be changed to CATS?

Potential protest song to be written.

"Not cool for Cats"

The song is in line with cool for cats but just change the lyrics 

It is likely to be more of a profitable noticeable record then anything Sandgaard tried to make

The creative outside the box thinking of the Charlton protest!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This isn’t complicated. It’s easier for a potential owner to understand what things could be like by experiencing a packed Valley than looking at old videos or spreadsheets.

If you think the experience plays no part in such decisions you are misunderstanding why most people get involved in football.

I don’t see what the downside is. Most of us would prefer to be in a bigger crowd with a better atmosphere. 
    Agreed. I just think some would like something a little more concrete from PV to backup the request. If anything to give some hope.

I don't doubt the intentions, I don't doubt the sincerity by the way.

It's a shame he cant just say 'look there is a serious bidder interested and conversations are happening'.

As ever for those of us not 'in the know' all the cloak and dagger stuff becomes a little wearisome. But if it has to be that way then so be it.
  • Options
    Is it possible that we get an even worse owner?
  • Options
    What happens when the supposed new interested buyer turns up for the Brighton game, sees the atmosphere their 6000 fans make in our stand and decides he wants to buy them instead?
  • Options
    Yes, but you can’t live your life with that mindset. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Yes, but you can’t live your life with that mindset. 
    This is Charlton we're talking about. 
  • Options
    Looks like masses of seats available still....especially in the AC. 
  • Options

What’s wrong with a cold Friday night vs Cheltenham could have done it then. Too late in two weeks! 
    Good god. Don’t mean to be rude but some people on this thread literally seem to be in Alan Partridge’s words, “a bit simple”. Or blindly intent on criticising / unpicking a very, very simple and quite obviously intended tweet by Varney. Sorry to be rude but I can’t 🤷🏼‍♂️. 

Some blindingly obvious answers to that question. 

1) the interested party is going to the Brighton game but wasn’t going to the Cheltenham game. 

Shouldn’t really need anymore than that simple, black and white and unchallengable possible explanation, but for good measure , some other reasons

2) Cheltenham town would never bring more than 300 odd fans. Therefore to get the same fullish crowd in the stadium, you’d be asking 3,4,5k extra Charlton fans to turn up than you are for the Brighton game. Appreciate many already have tickets for Cheltenham and not Brighton but at £5-£15 and given the paltry crowds at home league games anyway atm I don’t think that necessarily undermines that (eg we had what 3k home fans V Stockport Vs probably 6k V Cheltenham, a net difference immediately wiped out by Brighton fans). 

3) Brighton game with a big away showing would undoubtedly have better chance of creating a good atmosphere with a full+ away end. The atmosphere and experience at the valley can feel like a big/ even premier league game when that is the case even in modest league one crowds, eg against the likes of pompey, Sunderland etc in recent years. In contrast a fairly big home crowd can still feel like a non league fixture when played in front of a pitiful away turnout. Not reflective of the ‘potential experience’ you’d be aiming for or buying into. 

4) most likely a mauling, sure, but a likelihood of a better game of football against a Premier League side than the non-league huff and puff of the bottom half of league one. Obviously we’re terrible but have already managed to put in respectable performances against QPR and Norwich this calendar year.

Just turn up. 
    Good God indeed!

I dont mean to be rude either, genuinely, but I think it might be you being "a bit simple" here by taking that post literally rather than in the tongue in cheek manner it was (I assume) intended.

Happy to be correct if it is in fact just me being dense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Not sure protesting at the current owner is the look PV was hoping for to impress the potential new one at the Brighton game.

Would be so typical Charlton that an oil rich Middle Eastern buyer is all ready to sign the paperwork only to be hit on the swede by a plastic pig, jump in the SUV and speed out of SE7 back to the gulf state. 
    In south london traffic no chance of speeding out.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Sitting in the AC in December is no fun at all!
  • Options
    @Sage....what are your thoughts on this all?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    More important than ever to line the pockets of an owner taking us into the ground? 

I would hope any potential owner would just watch a video of the play off final if they want to see our potential. 
    I feel like you're just using any excuse you can not to go at this point
    Not really, I just think it's a pretty meaningless gesture that only really benefits Sandgaard who will pocket the extra income. 

Any intelligent potential owner doesn't make a decision based from a few extra thousand in a ground during a game while the club is at their lowest point in years. 
    If a potential new owner is at the Brighton game, is he more likely to be interested in buying Charlton if -

1 There are 14,000 Charlton fans & 6,000 Brighton fans, making a 20,000 crowd and great atmosphere.

2 There are 6,000 Charlton fans & 6,000 Brighton fans.
       The Brighton fans out sing Charlton all match & it is largely a great embarrassment to Charlton.
    3. Neither, because we want an owner that has a brain in their head and isn’t basing any of their interest in buying us on whether we get a decent crowd for a one off cup match.
    Bloody hell, this is hard work.
    It is to demonstrate that right now, Charlton are still a "biggish" club and can still attract @15,000 home fans in L1. Even though we are 17th and in one of the lowest positions for 100 years.
    It is an up to date "show" that we still have good potential if there is a decent game to watch.
    The prospective owners due diligence, because they are a credible individual who has a competent team advising them, will tell them what they need to know. Mad if people think anyone sensible is going to be influenced into buying a football club due to the attendance at a one off cup game against top league opposition when they will have all of the data on our regular attendances easily available to them. Still, I suppose it’s nice for people to feel liken they can do something positive to help their club.
    A bit like buying a house really.
    You go round there a few times at different times 
    Are you saying Varney is going to give out samosas?
  • Options
    Airman do you know if the Valley Express will be running at all for the Brighton game, only as an ex-season ticket holder would like to back PV up and Grandson also to come to game but can't get there except by coach. Have tried ringing the club but no help so far and I know you are much better informed.
  • Options
    Airman do you know if the Valley Express will be running at all for the Brighton game, only as an ex-season ticket holder would like to back PV up and Grandson also to come to game but can't get there except by coach. Have tried ringing the club but no help so far and I know you are much better informed.
    They haven’t decided yet, email the club that you are interested and that might help. They are gauging interest before deciding whether to run coaches and if so on what routes. Think it’s tickets@cafc.co.uk
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    mendonca said:
    Simonsen said:

Sitting in the AC in December is no fun at all!
    No queue for the Benghazi. Straight up to a choice of empty troughs. Beats the West Stand for that alone. 
  • Options

I’m going cause we are at home. People will come through the turnstiles when they see a successful team. The Doncaster play off game is evidence of that.

• Options

So is this confirming that there will be a potential buyer at the game....or is it just pure speculation, based on PV tweet?
    I'm too old to keep getting my hopes up!