Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (being played in 2022)

Starts this Saturday at half 2 with hosts England taking on Samoa. matches will be on the BBC somewhere. 

All matches are being played at extreme northern outposts that mostly make up the bulk of Rugby league support in this country. Only one match, a semi final, will be played in London at the emirates. (way to expand the sport fellas) 

The favs are obviously Australia but NZ, England, Samoa and Tonga could cause an upset. Be nice as the Aussies have already won it 11 times. NZ being the only other team to get a world cup. 

Interesting to see what the new boys in Jamaica and Greece can do. 

Comments

• Have to have to say I had no idea this was happening. So will take a look out for it. A sport I have never seen live, but often watched on TV.

Some surprising teams in finals Jamaica, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Papau New Guinea.
  • Saturday, 15 October

Men's

England v Samoa (14:30 BST, BBC One & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra)

Australia v Fiji (19:30 BST, BBC Two)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63061246

• Samoa are favourites tomorrow v England. 8 of their side played in the recent NRL grand final 
  • Been looking forward to this, as said many of the 'smaller nations' players are regulars in the highly competitive Aussie NRL. England also have a lot of NRL players in the squad and should be competitive. Good to see the BBC has a near monopoly on the broadcasting rights, so all free to air .. apart from the licence fee of course .. enjoy
  • I was looking at the knockout stages which is just a quarter final and there is every chance if we get through we could end up playing Samoa again in the semi final at the emirates. 

• During the rugby league season I was more interested in Super League and the NRL, but now it’s about to happen I’m massively looking forward to it.

@Ralph Milne in say Jamaica or Lebanon there may or may not be many playing rugby league but there are huge amounts of diasporas & descendants  in England and Australia to select from.

In PNG RL is the national sport.

From memory London has a semi final in the mens tournament & also a lot of wheelchair tournament & possibly some of womens games.
  • when you look at some of the teams in this there seems to be a huge gap between the top 4 or 5 and the rest. for example Fiji who is number 6 in the world got smashed by us 50 nil only last week.

probably some of the better matches in the group stage will be the lesser teams fighting it out. 

as @SheffieldRed says for example with Lebanon which was originally started by Australian Lebanese, I think most of their team were born in Australia and all apart from 4 play in Australia. One of the 4 plays for Wigan. 
  • Have to have to say I had no idea this was happening. So will take a look out for it. A sport I have never seen live, but often watched on TV.

Some surprising teams in finals Jamaica, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Papau New Guinea.
    Cook Islands surely can't be good, Bexleyheath probably has a bigger population!
  • when you look at some of the teams in this there seems to be a huge gap between the top 4 or 5 and the rest. for example Fiji who is number 6 in the world got smashed by us 50 nil only last week.

probably some of the better matches in the group stage will be the lesser teams fighting it out. 

as @SheffieldRed says for example with Lebanon which was originally started by Australian Lebanese, I think most of their team were born in Australia and all apart from 4 play in Australia. One of the 4 plays for Wigan. 
    Fiji won’t be anyone near as bad as last week when they pick their top 17. 

• shirty5 said:
    when you look at some of the teams in this there seems to be a huge gap between the top 4 or 5 and the rest. for example Fiji who is number 6 in the world got smashed by us 50 nil only last week.

Fiji won’t be anyone near as bad as last week when they pick their top 17. 

ah, didn't realise they were playing their second string. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Starts this Saturday at half 2 with hosts England taking on Samoa. matches will be on the BBC somewhere. 

All matches are being played at extreme northern outposts that mostly make up the bulk of Rugby league support in this country. Only one match, a semi final, will be played in London at the emirates. (way to expand the sport fellas) 

The favs are obviously Australia but NZ, England, Samoa and Tonga could cause an upset. Be nice as the Aussies have already won it 11 times. NZ being the only other team to get a world cup. 

Interesting to see what the new boys in Jamaica and Greece can do. 
    Me and the drinking buddies have got tickets for the semi-final at the Emirates as our regular day out at a major sporting event that I think we started doing for the Olympic’s and the UK football team at Wembley. The ticket prices for this were pretty decent when they were released (2 or 3 years ago) pretty sure we only paid around £80. Icing on the cake would be England in that semi-final
  • I can’t wait.
    I love League.
    Can’t see anyone beating the Aussies just hope it’s competitive & not too one sided.
     I’m not completely in agreement with the side Warne has picked for tomorrow, think he’s definitely wearing his Wigan hat in a few choices 🙄
    Enjoy yourself @letthegoodtimesroll you will have a blast & will be able to sup a beer whilst you do 🍻
  • communication breakdown at St James' Park Newcastle  :|
  • edited October 2022
    amateur hour up in Newcastle. Somebodys lost the microphone.
    Opening ceremony with a bunch of kids waving their hands about whilst Ricky Wilson runs up and down the touch line. 
  • Painfully amateur build and game has zero atmosphere or excitement to it at all. Switched to Final Score 
  • Great try. Good world cup debuts by a couple of our lot. Young and Welsby in particular. Samoa can't deal with it at the moment. 

14 - 0 
  • another try involving those two
  • Just popped this on the telly, amazed by the lack of atmosphere, totally dead. 
  • Tompkins winding them up so they do a late tackle on him which leads to a sin bin. Samoa struggling. Injuries haven't helped. 26 - 6
  • Well I didn’t see that coming 😳
    60-6 blinking eck.

Samoa were poor but I’d like to think it’s cos we slowed them down & they kept forcing the issue which meant they spilled possession on numerous occasions.
    Welsby, Young, Radley, Farnworth absolutely fabulous.
    You can only beat what’s in front of you but we’ll take great confidence from that going forward.

I couldn’t care less about the cock ups pre match, the stuff on field is all I care about & I’m very happy 😃 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿♥️
  • Sponsored links:

• well that was close .. the Samoans must have been on the piss all week and their over aggressive and boastful haka wore them out .. good England tune up and they'll need to be on similar form when they come up against NZ or Australia .. great win England teamwork and fitness wins big games
  • All matches are being played at extreme northern outposts that mostly make up the bulk of Rugby league support in this country. Only one match, a semi final, will be played in London at the emirates. (way to expand the sport fellas) 

Agree, I would have been tempted to grab tickets if there were more games around London. Realistically the RL ppl probably wanted to stage games in areas where they had the best chance of selling out.
  • well that was close .. the Samoans must have been on the piss all week and their over aggressive and boastful haka wore them out .. good England tune up and they'll need to be on similar form when they come up against NZ or Australia .. great win England teamwork and fitness wins big games
    Their haka type thing was impressive but all down hill from there. Think it did knacker them out.

Only reason they got a score was through a miss place pass by us. 

We played well and demolished them like something the Aussies or the kiwis would do which shows we mean business.
    Unfortunately Australia are doing the same thing now by the looks of it against Fiji. 

I think Cook Islands and PNG are countries that basically decided to play League not Union, meaning they're much better than you might expect as they're picking from a larger proportion of their population. Sort of like a reverse of Scotland or Wales, where almost all rugby is Union and you'll struggle to find a League club.

The Lebanon team I saw play back in the 2000 world cup when they had a match in Cardiff were basically all Australians with Lebanese parents or grandparents. They'd put together a side, then contacted the Lebanese sporting authorities, explained what Rugby League was and asked for an official endorsement to let them enter, on the basis that they'd pay their own way. The story circulating at the time was that there wasn't a rugby pitch anywhere in Lebanon when the team was first formed.
  • feels a bit like during the womens Euro football... a team we prob should have edged we demolished - is this another England cup win..?
  • Didn't realise this was going on, so thanks. 

Love league. 
  • Sunday, 16 October

Men's

Scotland v Italy (14:30 BST, BBC Two)

Jamaica v Ireland (17:00 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra)

New Zealand v Lebanon (19:30 BST, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63061246

• edited October 2022
    On TV they were bigging up how the first game was too close to call, not the usual hosts vs fall guys match. Even though my knowledge of RL is limited, I raised an eybrow. For all the fine words, it's the most one-sided globally contested sport in the world. In fifty years Australia have only failed to win once, when they were runners up in 2008. Only England and NZ (2008 winners) have any chance at all against them.  

To make it have a whiff of competition about it, I think a tournament without England, Australia and NZ's participation until the quarter finals would make it far more interesting. 
  • Great start by England against what was supposed to be a tough encounter. 

Australia looked rusty in the first half but the game changer was Harry Grant from Melbourne who was different class. Addo Carr like lighting down the left for them. 

Scotland v Italy will be a tough one to call. Ireland should have too much for Jamaica, likewise the Kiwis vs Lebanon 
  • Italy beat Scotland 28-4

Scotland were very poor imho. I fear for them against the Aussies next weekend if they play like that again 😳